Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2020 9:06 pm  #21

Re: Basketball Alt-History

I am a fan of almost all these names

9/12/2020 11:38 am  #22

Rugrat wrote:

I am a fan of almost all these names

Thanks. As I said earlier, I've been sitting on this project for awhile, so I had to change a few names that already existed on the boards. Any names you didn't like?

USBL Recap

The expansion Tampa Bay Flash surprised many this year, edging out Springfield and Westchester after a season-long battle for first place. There was another three-way race in the league, this one for the final playoff spot. The Wildwood Aces beat out a pair of expansion franchises, Gold Coast and Staten Island. The Jersey Jammers finished alone in the league's cellar.

Standings
Tampa Bay Flash
Springfield Fame
Westchester Golden Apples
Wildwood Aces
Gold Coast Stingrays
Staten Island Stallions
Jersey Jammers

USBL Playoff Preview

The Tampa Bay Flash seem to be the favorite to win the title, on the basis that they avoid having to play either Springfield or Westchester in the first round. Instead the Flash host to the Wildwood Aces. In the other Semifinal, the Springfield Fame host the Westchester Golden Apples. The Fame are favored on their home court, despite finishing only a game up of the Apples.

9/12/2020 11:41 am  #23

Doing my research on these leagues and most of the teams actually existed in real life. So spot on

9/12/2020 11:52 am  #24

Rugrat wrote:

Doing my research on these leagues and most of the teams actually existed in real life. So spot on

Yes, for this season all the teams in the minor leagues are the same as they were at this point IRL. However, that will change.

Last edited by sportsfan7 (9/12/2020 11:53 am)

9/12/2020 1:02 pm  #25

sportsfan7 wrote:

The Los Angeles Jets are named after the Jets from the American Basketball League. The team is owned by former San Diego Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

Depending on what team Jerry West works for as a general manager in this scenario, I can imagine him saying to players "You can't go to the Jets. You can't play for that owner. Period."

9/13/2020 11:17 am  #26

USBL Postseason Recap

Semifinals

Blowouts were the name of the game in the first round of the USBL Playoffs. The Tampa Bay Flash proved that their regular season success was not a fluke, dominating the Aces at home. They will host the Springfield Fame in the final. The Fame got off to a hot start against Westchester and never looked back.

Final

The Flash ran away with the game against the Fame, winning by a whopping 53 points. The defending champion Fame were unable to rely on big game experience like many defending champs do, since this is the USBL’s first season with playoffs.

Semifinals
#1 Tampa Bay 143 #4 Wildwood 97
#2 Springfield 122 #3 Westchester 88
Finals
#1 Tampa Bay 157 #2 Springfield 104

9/14/2020 12:53 pm  #27

Tampa Bay really put the Fame to shame.

9/16/2020 2:16 pm  #28

Probably we could see a SF Bay Area Team that could pop up in the Future might be San Jose?

9/16/2020 3:47 pm  #29

stratonascar wrote:

Probably we could see a SF Bay Area Team that could pop up in the Future might be San Jose?

The San Francisco Sea Lions play in the PBL

NBA to FoldLeague Votes to Suspend 1986-87 Season, then to DissolveJune 12, 1986
The NBA Owners Meeting was held yesterday to discuss the future of the Association, over 8 months after cancelling the 85-86 season. Seventeen owners were present, with Dallas Mavericks owner Don Carter having folded his team last month. The owners first held a vote on the upcoming season. The 5 teams who share ownership with a PBL or ABL team (Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Indiana, and Seattle) led the push to cancel another season. They were joined by the ownership groups of Portland, Utah, San Antonio, Denver, and Houston. Chicago Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf and Houston Rockets owner Charlie Thomas were considered swing votes, along with Phoenix Suns owner Karl Eller. After this vote was taken, Washington Bullets owner Abe Pollin motioned for a vote on whether or not the league would continue. Twelve votes were required for a ⅔ majority to fold the league. Nine of the ten owners who voted to cancel the season, also voted in favor of dissolving the league, with San Antonio voting in opposition. The nine owners were joined by Phoenix, Atlanta, and Washington. Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss was the starkest opposition to folding the league and is reportedly looking at taking legal action against the other 16 owners, especially the 5 with interests in the PBL or ABL.

9/16/2020 4:07 pm  #30

Wow looks like the NBA is no more.

Board footera