Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2020 3:29 pm  #1

Term 1 - Group 2

So the way I look at the information given the locations available we can either go with the Long Island area or Upstate New York. The Grey shouldn't be too hard to use as an accent or even a secondary.

9/04/2020 3:45 pm  #2

Re: Term 1 - Group 2

Personally, I'd rather go with a city in Long Island or even Yonkers, as upstate NY already has some major colleges (i.e. Syracuse, UBuffalo, and RIT)

If we were to do something on LI, I'd support the Colonels or other military-related name, probably with a blue/gray scheme. Names could be University of Long Island as already said or something else of the like (Long Island State, etc.)

EDIT: One other thing I thought of is that if we're still going with the Teddy Roosevelt theme, then maybe Roughriders can be another potential nickname

Last edited by DireBear (9/04/2020 3:56 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

9/04/2020 4:17 pm  #3

DireBear wrote:

Personally, I'd rather go with a city in Long Island or even Yonkers, as upstate NY already has some major colleges (i.e. Syracuse, UBuffalo, and RIT)

If we were to do something on LI, I'd support the Colonels or other military-related name, probably with a blue/gray scheme. Names could be University of Long Island as already said or something else of the like (Long Island State, etc.)

EDIT: One other thing I thought of is that if we're still going with the Teddy Roosevelt theme, then maybe Roughriders can be another potential nickname

ย 
Whoohoo! An RIT shout out! I graduated from RIT a couple years ago. I lived in Rochester for a while and traveled around upstate NY often, so if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

9/04/2020 6:22 pm  #4

I'm not in your group, but if the idea is a brand new college system, those schools wouldn't exist, so Upstate New York would still need to be represented, but Long Island is also a place where a college needs to be.

9/04/2020 7:06 pm  #5

Hey all, sorry I haven't been active here so far. I've got a couple ideas, I'll throw them out and see what you guys think.

I love the Teddy Roosevelt idea, maybe we could even name the school after him? Theodore Roosevelt University (TRU) has a nice ring to it! For exact location, while Oyster Bay doesn't work, both North Hampstead and Huntington are close enough where I'd feel comfortable claiming TR.ย 

Nicknames are where it gets a bit trickier, but my suggestion isย Trustbusters. TR, of course, was known as the "Trust-Buster" and we could lean into some unique imagery. (In fact, I have both a TR and teddy bear logo churning in my head.) It bends the rules of "Status" a bit, but I think it's ok.ย 

Colors are tough. The gray is a bit too bold for my tastes, I'd prefer if it was either lightened or darkened to serve as an accent. So, I'll suggest this: we use it as our primary color. Gray as our primary color with orange and cream accents, like this:

Black serves as a tertiary color. Finally, the founding date. TR passed away in 1919, so I'm thinking early 1920s, perhaps 1923 to honor what would've been his 65th birthday?ย 

I really like the ideas we have going, let's keep it up!

9/04/2020 7:30 pm  #6

I'm liking the name of TRU! My idea is that we put them in Huntington since that's closer to TR's home than North Hempstead.

Colors are great as well! I tried working with some blue/gray color schemes but the gray was too dark for my liking, so gray/cream/orange is a nice fit

The only thing I'm stuck on is the name of the Trustbusters. I'm mixed on that, as it fits in perfectly with other wacky college nicknames (like Fighting Artichokes and Banana Slugs), but personally I'm not really feeling the name. It's unique, but if everyone else is fine with the nickname being the Trustbusters then I'll go along with it.

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

9/04/2020 7:52 pm  #7

DireBear wrote:

I'm liking the name of TRU! My idea is that we put them in Huntington since that's closer to TR's home than North Hempstead.

Colors are great as well! I tried working with some blue/gray color schemes but the gray was too dark for my liking, so gray/cream/orange is a nice fit

The only thing I'm stuck on is the name of the Trustbusters. I'm mixed on that, as it fits in perfectly with other wacky college nicknames (like Fighting Artichokes and Banana Slugs), but personally I'm not really feeling the name. It's unique, but if everyone else is fine with the nickname being the Trustbusters then I'll go along with it.

Thank you! I think "Trustbusters" itself is a little long, so I imagine it would be shortened to "Busters" often. It's nothing I'm too attached too, I think Rough Riders would also work very well.

9/04/2020 8:08 pm  #8

I think Rough Riders would be good, I wish Tennessee wasn't the Volunteers because it would work wonderfully for this given the Rough Riders were a volunteer unit

I forgot, but I'm down to go down the TRU route.

Last edited by Darknes (9/04/2020 8:42 pm)

9/04/2020 8:15 pm  #9

I'm down with choosing TRU as the university, and choosing Huntington as the location.

However, I honestly feel that the Rough Riders would be a better name than the Trustbusters. I like both names however, Rough Riders just seems better in describing TR with this school than Trustbuster.

Also, that's a nice color scheme with the gray/cream/orange.

9/05/2020 10:42 am  #10

Hey guys, I did a bit of work and I have a couple things you might wanna look at. I whipped up a monogram and possible secondary logo for TRU, here it is:

The secondary is supposed to be a teddy bear paw, in reference to TR's connection with teddy bears. I imagine this would be a classic logo and something that would stick around. I'm down to go with Rough Riders for the name, as well. If anyone has any suggestions, maybe some tweaks, let me know.

Edit: we also need to decide what sports we'll be making. I have to imagine football is a given, and I feel like baseball would be really nice, but I'm not sure about the other sports. Maybe lacrosse and hockey? I'd need to find a lacrosse template, but that shouldn't be too hard. I have templates for the Big 4 in case anyone needs them, but soccer and lacrosse I'm missing.

Last edited by QCS (9/05/2020 10:45 am)

Board footera