Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2020 9:51 am  #1

Term 1 - Group 5

Created a topic just for us so we don't clutter the Ideas thread.

Right now, here's where we stand:

Name: Virginia Maritime Academy (Virginia Maritime or VMA for short-approved by group)
Nickname: Ironclads (approved by group)
Colors: Maroon, gray and azure blue
Founding Date: 1937
Athletics slogan: Forged For Battle

Last edited by Burmy87 (9/05/2020 12:38 pm)

9/04/2020 10:09 am  #2

Re: Term 1 - Group 5

If we go with Ironclads, which ship do we base our brand around? The Monitor, which doesn’t make sense because Virginia was part of the confederacy and the Monitor belonged to the Union, or the Virginia, which has more direct ties to Virginia, but also more direct ties to Confederates?

Also, Steel blue is a very nice color, but I think we should use Maroon, Grey and Azure Blue to get our brand across.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

9/04/2020 10:21 am  #3

ThisIsFine wrote:

If we go with Ironclads, which ship do we base our brand around? The Monitor, which doesn’t make sense because Virginia was part of the confederacy and the Monitor belonged to the Union, or the Virginia, which has more direct ties to Virginia, but also more direct ties to Confederates?

Also, Steel blue is a very nice color, but I think we should use Maroon, Grey and Azure Blue to get our brand across.

1. I'd recommend we design our own ship with elements from both of the real-life ones (see which features we like on them both and put together our own ship based on 'em)
2. I second your idea...that'll make sure we stand out.

9/04/2020 2:37 pm  #4

Let's do the ship the Confederates used, I don't remember the name of the top of my head though.

Also I do like the name and nickname.

Last edited by CCLXXXVII (9/04/2020 2:38 pm)

9/04/2020 2:49 pm  #5

Ok, so the CSS Virginia was built by Confederates, and let’s be honest, that wouldn’t exactly attract diversity to the school. For our boat, I think we should go with Burmy’s proposal and combine aspects of both ships. We can use the basic body shape of the Virginia, and the weird round thing on top of the Monitor. As for aesthetic, I think the name Virginia Maritime lends itself to a retro-modern look, so we should just use an Ironclad sailing leftward.

Now we just need a  founding date. I think it’d be established by the U.S. Navy and the state of Virginia sometime between 1935 and 1939. Thoughts?

9/04/2020 6:56 pm  #6

I'm with you all the way on the logo, ThisIsFine!

As for the founding date, my choice would be 1937 (the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Hampton Roads).

9/04/2020 7:04 pm  #7

Burmy87 wrote:

As for the founding date, my choice would be 1937 (the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Hampton Roads).

I agree with you there. The name could be directly linked to that year.

Now we just need to put together uniforms and logos. Maybe a generic, interlocking “VMA” as a secondary.

Also, I thought up an athletics slogan. How does “Made Of Iron” sound?

Last edited by ThisIsFine (9/04/2020 7:06 pm)

9/05/2020 9:09 am  #8

ThisIsFine wrote:

Burmy87 wrote:

Now we just need to put together uniforms and logos. Maybe a generic, interlocking “VMA” as a secondary.

Hmmm...I like the basic idea, but I was wondering if we could take it in a more forceful direction.

How about "Forged for Battle" or "Full Speed Ahead"?

9/05/2020 9:45 am  #9

Burmy87 wrote:

ThisIsFine wrote:

Burmy87 wrote:

Hmmm...I like the basic idea, but I was wondering if we could take it in a more forceful direction.

How about "Forged for Battle" or "Full Speed Ahead"?

Hell yeah, I like “Forged for Battle”.

9/05/2020 11:15 am  #10

I concur on “Forged for Battle”

I can also get a secondary logo together later today, I’m away from my computer at the moment. I’ll try to make sure it’s not too similar to VMI’s logo though.

Board footera