Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2020 9:08 am  #1

Term 1 - Group 7

Welcome to Group 7! As a reminder, here's who we are and what we're working with:

So first off, it turns out that even after adjusting down to 500,000-1,000,000, the only city we have available is Jacksonville, which unfortunately rules out Sevsdast's UFO idea (which I absolutely loved and I really hope we can revisit someday). So how do we put a school in Jacksonville with a celestial theme in the early 20th century? I had a couple ideas, ranked here from my least favorite to most favorite:

1. The school had a more offensive nickname originally, but traded it out in favor of a trendier, celestial nickname.
2. Two (or more) schools merged and completely rebranded.
3. Comets. It turns out there were two notable comets that were visible in early 1910: the "Daylight Comet" and Halley's Comet. I think that could work its way into a really nice identity.

So yeah, 3 is my favorite by quite a lot, but I'm interested to hear if y'all have any ideas. Let's get this rolling!

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (9/04/2020 10:33 am)

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

9/04/2020 10:17 am  #2

Re: Term 1 - Group 7

So Comets was my first thought as well. But as I thought more about other, more outside the box thoughts, I thought of "Celestial Beings". Which would give us an option for Angels, which would be a good, period appropriate name.

Maybe Atlantic Coast University for the name?

And purple pairs so well with gold.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

9/04/2020 10:19 am  #3

Ooh, I hadn't considered celestial beings. Angels is really good. I'm not sure I like it more than Comets, but we definitely have a couple of really good possibilities already.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

9/04/2020 10:21 am  #4

How about this: Galactic Academy Comets? Not bad if I say so myself!

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

9/04/2020 10:39 am  #5

"Galactic Academy" is a great name if the school were created in the 1990s but it doesn't seem to me to fit the time period we were given very well. I was thinking about looking into neighborhoods of Jacksonville and/or cities that Jacksonville annexed just so we don't go with "University of Jacksonville" and call it a day (although I've gotta admit, "Jacksonville Comets" has a really nice ring to it).

9/04/2020 10:39 am  #6

With our schools founding in 1900-1920, Galactic Academy sounds too modern. Especially since space travel is 40-60 years off at that point.

I know there's a Coastal Carolina, what about Coastal Florida University?

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

9/04/2020 10:41 am  #7

Ninja'd you there, Dan, but "Coastal Florida Comets" also sounds really nice.

9/04/2020 10:59 am  #8

I believe I can help.

So obviously, you’re all putting your team in Florida. NASA wasn’t around at the founding date, but there was NACA, which dealt with planes. The university could have originally been built as an aviation school. They also could have at first used an intensities mascot that they later changed, closing that loophole.

As for a mascot, I second comets.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

9/04/2020 11:26 am  #9

I think Comets has the majority. With there being a Jacksonville University and a Jacksonville State (which, granted, isn't in Jacksonville, FL), do we want to go with the aforementioned Coastal Florida University. Or do we want to explore a University of Florida - Jacksonville (UFJ)? Or do we have other ideas?

9/04/2020 11:46 am  #10

So like I mentioned earlier, I looked into some of the regions and neighborhoods within Jacksonville, thinking the school could be named after one of those, but I didn't love any of them. Feel free to look through them yourselves, but personally, I'm good with deciding between Coastal Florida and UF-Jacksonville (the latter with the condition that the teams would simply be known as the Jacksonville Comets rather than the Florida-Jacksonville Comets or UFJ Comets or anything like that).

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (9/04/2020 11:48 am)

Board footera