Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2020 12:20 am  #1

Roller Hockey Dominant

I'm looking for a potential POD that makes roller hockey the dominant form of hockey, and maybe even the dominant sport, in America, and as the traditional form of hockey. I want to strangle ice hockey in the crib and make it all roller from at least 1900 on, but I don't know how to do that. I'm thinking failure to create indoor ice rinks, but I also want a hotbed of it to be like South Florida like it was in the 90s in OTL. I'm thinking make it popular in Canada because it's hockey and in the South and West because it's roller, but I don't know how to make that with such an early POD that the roller hockey league and teams become the "traditional" teams, like, say, the Toronto Maple Leafs. Say a roller hockey team in Toronto is the Leafs of TTL, like that's the version. I think it could vault it into the lead for sports because hockey is objectively the best sport, but the problem hockey has is that it's regionalized. Its popularity is sort of capped in this one place, because the "ice" part naturally confines it to one region where people would be into that sort of stuff. Roller hockey could be much more widespread across the country because it doesn't have that stigma of being an ice sport, but the thing I don't know is how to do that.

8/06/2020 12:41 am  #2

Re: Roller Hockey Dominant

Maybe you could have it be something related to ice skates. Maybe in your universe, ice skates are either much harder to make and/or more expensive, and people who couldn't afford them but still wanted to play hockey would use roller blades instead. It could kind of be like a tennis situation, where real tennis is still played by upper-class citizens but lawn tennis becomes the more popular and well-known version. Hopefully this gives you at least a starting point to work with.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

8/06/2020 1:00 am  #3

Ice Hockey can still exist while Roller Hockey can be like a de-facto farm league for the NHL.

8/06/2020 11:20 am  #4

In this universe the overused joke would start with “What’s the hardest part about playing ice hockey.”

Board footera