Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2020 3:28 pm  #1

AltHL Legacy

AltHL Community!

It is time to begin the AltHL Legacy Project.  The video below will feature the NHL-AltHL Matchup.  When your team gets assigned you will be excited and run to wikipedia to see how they did during that era.  But remember just because they had success in the NHL doesn't mean they will win it all in the AltHL.  You may look at the great players who wore your jersey in the past.  Just remember that championships often write legacy.  For example, imagine what Derek Jeter's legacy would have been if he didn't win three World Series so early in his career.  

With that said you are going to notice that some NHL teams are missing from the 'wheel'.  That is because they didn't exist at the beginning of our era.  You all overwhelmingly chose the 1990-2010 era.  Which is a great choice.  So much happened in the 90s.  You get the Lemieux and Gretzky years while also getting Crosby and Ovechkin.  In 1990 the NHL featured only 21 teams.  The conferences were the Wales and Campbell.  The divisions were the Adams, Norris, Smythe, and Patrick.  After Gretzky got traded to the Kings, the NHL started a mass migration to the south and non-traditional markets.  The Whalers became the Hurricanes, the Jets became the Coyotes and the North Stars became the Dallas Stars.  The NHL also had an explosion of expansion to San Jose, Ottawa, Anaheim, Florida, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus and Minnesota.  

Typically I will do a season a week.  On Monday I will share the offseason happenings including the draft, free agency, and major trades.  Tuesday will be the regular season.  Wednesday will be the Canada playoffs and Thursday will be the American playoffs.  Friday will be post season awards as well as the Finals of each league.  This week will be shortened for obvious reasons.  

Use this narrative to enhance your team's identity and forge new rivalries.  After making the video I can already see a few really good ones that will happen down the line.  Enjoy.

4/07/2020 4:06 pm  #2

Re: AltHL Legacy

Red Wings History and Players.

Guess I got lucky. Go Dogs!

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

4/07/2020 4:08 pm  #3

I'll happily take the Devils

Niedermayer, Stevens, and Brodeur

4/07/2020 4:55 pm  #4

ThisIsFine wrote:

I got the Avalanche so I hope the Wings/Avs rivalry works out for Terriers/Chevs.

4/07/2020 5:10 pm  #5

Do these team match ups go farther back than the 90s? Or is the best thing that has ever happened to Portland Doug Weight?

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (4/07/2020 5:12 pm)

4/07/2020 5:18 pm  #6

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Do these team match ups go farther back than the 90s? Or is the best thing that has ever happened to Portland Doug Weight?

I'm thinking that we start with this era and see how we like it. And then if it works we can always expand the history further back in time. So don't lose hope.  With that said don't forget they were pretty good from the mid 90s to 2006 when they went to the Cup Finals.  All you need is for the them to be in contention.

4/07/2020 5:52 pm  #7

Well, the Canes did end up with a Cup in '06, but I will say that I predicted this! 

4/07/2020 5:55 pm  #8

Gritty wrote:

ThisIsFine wrote:

I got the Avalanche so I hope the Wings/Avs rivalry works out for Terriers/Chevs.

Even if we didn’t get matched with real-life rivals, we would still be rivals because of the language barrier.

4/07/2020 5:58 pm  #9

Just for note, the Bruins made the cup in 2011 and 2013, the early 90s the B's were consistently in the playoffs but once the turn of the new millennium it was a dark time for Beantown Hockey. 

Not that it looks a little better for the Rovers, seems at least McGinnis and Hull will get their names up in the rafters.

4/07/2020 7:55 pm  #10

I don’t know what year these leagues should actually begin before the Legacy Project takes place, but I will place the T-dogs’ founding date as 1955.

Board footera