Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2020 5:42 pm  #221

Re: AltHL - Owner Draft and Beyond

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

QCS wrote:

Hmmm, if we can rework it and put a ton of money into it, I bet we could get North Wilkesboro Speedway at least a Stadium Series game...

Why bother with North Wilkesboro when you could use Charlotte Motor Speedway?

Charlotte Motor Speedway is a bit too big. With North Wilkesboro, you can put the rink in the garage area and can be somewhat visible all around, like what Bristol did with the football field. Or better yet, the other option I had was Bowman-Grey, but there’s very little room for seat additions.

I don't know, you could put the rink in the green between the Finish Line and Pit Row, with the grandstands behind it serving as seats. The massive screen over the backstretch would help a lot. Wilkesboro would probably be easier but it's in the middle of nowhere. The closest big-ish municipality is Winston-Salem, 50 minutes away. Not to mention infrastructure, CMS is already built to have the parking lots for large sporting events. There is no way you could get 30,000+ people parked near Wilkesboro Speedway without paving over farmland right next to it. Alternatively, there's the Dirt Track and zMax Dragway as part of the Charlotte Motor Speedway complex. 

Edit: The reason Bristol worked so well is because it's a short track, only like .5 miles long around. Charlotte (and every close track) is about 1.5 miles long, making seeing from all around tough. Maybe temporary grandstands could be built in the road course area?

Last edited by QCS (4/18/2020 5:44 pm)

4/18/2020 6:17 pm  #222

QCS wrote:

QCS wrote:

Why bother with North Wilkesboro when you could use Charlotte Motor Speedway?

Charlotte Motor Speedway is a bit too big. With North Wilkesboro, you can put the rink in the garage area and can be somewhat visible all around, like what Bristol did with the football field. Or better yet, the other option I had was Bowman-Grey, but there’s very little room for seat additions.

I don't know, you could put the rink in the green between the Finish Line and Pit Row, with the grandstands behind it serving as seats. The massive screen over the backstretch would help a lot. Wilkesboro would probably be easier but it's in the middle of nowhere. The closest big-ish municipality is Winston-Salem, 50 minutes away. Not to mention infrastructure, CMS is already built to have the parking lots for large sporting events. There is no way you could get 30,000+ people parked near Wilkesboro Speedway without paving over farmland right next to it. Alternatively, there's the Dirt Track and zMax Dragway as part of the Charlotte Motor Speedway complex. 

Edit: The reason Bristol worked so well is because it's a short track, only like .5 miles long around. Charlotte (and every close track) is about 1.5 miles long, making seeing from all around tough. Maybe temporary grandstands could be built in the road course area?

My thought was to bring hockey to NASCAR’s roots, and since North Wilkesboro is a historic track that’s been around since the beginning of NASCAR,  plus the people of North Wilkesboro and some NASCAR drivers  really want the track restored to its former glory. I think it could be a sleeper hit to bring hockey to the grassroots of stock car racing. Plus it’s just a bit bigger than Bristol, at .625 miles, which makes fans seeing the action without the need of temporary seats much more manageable.

Addendum: The road course area can’t really get the temp bleachers close enough, I’d say put temp bleachers on the legends track in the infield if I wanted to use CMS.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (4/18/2020 6:19 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

4/18/2020 6:44 pm  #223

If you have nominees make sure you get them in soon.  I am starting to put together the polls today.  A lot of good names thus far.  

Here are my nominees

Event 1 - The Hockey Bowl 
Event 2 - The Pond Hockey Classic
Event 3 - The Game for World Domination

4/18/2020 6:44 pm  #224

QCS wrote:

My thought was to bring hockey to NASCAR’s roots, and since North Wilkesboro is a historic track that’s been around since the beginning of NASCAR, plus the people of North Wilkesboro and some NASCAR drivers really want the track restored to its former glory. I think it could be a sleeper hit to bring hockey to the grassroots of stock car racing. Plus it’s just a bit bigger than Bristol, at .625 miles, which makes fans seeing the action without the need of temporary seats much more manageable.

Addendum: The road course area can’t really get the temp bleachers close enough, I’d say put temp bleachers on the legends track in the infield if I wanted to use CMS.

I get your inspiration, it's just unfortunate that Wilkesboro isn't practical enough for a big sporting event like this would theoretically be. Of course, the first Strictly Stock race was held in Charlotte, near the airport. In the end, it's your proposal, but I personally believe CMS would be better. Maybe even Martinsville could work?

4/18/2020 7:08 pm  #225

QCS wrote:

Also, this is just a question: on the map with polygons, why is it that Chicago and Montreal get their affiliates marked as territory but I don't get Washington? I can understand Greensboro, given how close it is to Charlotte, but it seems like I should get the DMV area.

My reasoning here was that since that central Florida area was 300 miles from the nearest team, and NO was almost 600, the minor teams would have decent followings among the few hockey fans in the south. With DC just over 100 miles from Philly, I felt that the connection to the local major team would be quite a bit stronger.

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

This is less of an issue but I figured I'd atleast have influence through the entire state of New York, I get Buffalo is Torontos minor league affiliate but my minor league market is Syracuse and Hartford and I barely get those cities as it seems.

My map was based on reason, not an exact science. I could see a definite mix of Toronto and NY fans in the Buffalo area, but I gave it Toronto based entirely based on proximity. I know more about the Midwest than other areas of the US. Looking at northern NY, the Gargoyles would probably do better than the map suggests.

The map is a rough outline, not a distinct and final line between fanbases. The boundaries in sports are squishy, and you should be able to hold a game in another territory if the reasoning is strong. (Ex. both MN and Chicago in Milwaukee; QCS hosting a stadium game in DC)

4/18/2020 9:18 pm  #226

Okay in regards of the media market thing, I think Boston has just as much claim to the northern parts of Vermont and New Hampshire as well as Maine but if any team would have a claim on Maine, it'd more accurately be Halifax.

4/18/2020 10:13 pm  #227

Winter- Wintertide Classic
Stadium- Stadium Stage
Globe- AltHL's World on Ice

I think we could also "sell" the rights to the naming of these events, within reason. I've got a lot of territory to work with so I'm looking forward to potentially hosting some Stadium or Winter games.

As for the map, there would obviously be several areas where there'd be mixed contention of fandom, creating some interesting rivalries in concentrated areas. I think, if your bid is selected, that challenging other contending teams in your area would be a solid idea. It even crossed my mind that these games could literally mean stealing territory from another for rivalry cups as this marquee event would naturally influence casual, younger, and/or hockey-interested fans into the victor's favor. Thanks for the work, Ark, I applaud the effort you put into it.

Last edited by WithaCapitalG (4/18/2020 10:14 pm)

4/18/2020 11:38 pm  #228

Winter - Crystal Classic (for the Crystal Cup)
Stadium - UltraIce Series
Global - Galaxy Series

Darknes wrote:

I've got Alumni Stadium, Harvard Stadium for Option 1
Could do something on the Commons for Option 2
I'm sure the Rovers would be involved in any match in Ireland..

Dude. With the heavy Scottish influence in Halifax and the natural connection between our cities, a game in Ireland or Scotland would be absolutely phenomenal.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/18/2020 11:44 pm  #229

Steelman wrote:

Darknes wrote:

I've got Alumni Stadium, Harvard Stadium for Option 1
Could do something on the Commons for Option 2
I'm sure the Rovers would be involved in any match in Ireland..

Dude. With the heavy Scottish influence in Halifax and the natural connection between our cities, a game in Ireland or Scotland would be absolutely phenomenal.

Do it in Celtic Park, it'd be crazy in Glasgow

4/19/2020 2:18 am  #230

Please reserve my special event for Paris. I love to face Montreal in Parc De Princes, thank you very much!

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

Board footera