Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2020 7:00 pm  #31

Re: The Complete History of Hockey in Ostrovia

I am changing the way I present jerseys a little. Each season will have a graphic showing the whole league. Here are the graphics up to this point...

3/07/2020 10:11 pm  #32

1921-22 OSTROVIA

National Happenings
King: Vladimir III
Prime Minister: Georgi Romashkov (Conservative Party)
Population: 4,710,000

Khokkeynaya Liga Koroly
King's Cup Champions: Matrosy Mezhdupovets
League MVP: Ivan Nikitin, Matrosy Mezhdupovets
Top Scorer: Grigory Timofeyev, Koroli Khirov
Best Goalie: Anatoly Sharov, Koroli Khirov

Standings:
1. Matrosy Mezhdupovets - 15-9
2. Koroli Khirov - 14-10
3. Atletika Kamezan - 11-13
4. Shakhtery Gorabinsk - 8-16

Matrosy Mezhdupovets
After having 6 players retire in the offseason and signing Saelish forward Paul Jensen, Matrosy Mezhdupovets was a faster younger team that the rest of the league couldn't keep up with. Goalie Vladimir Titov was excellent in net notching a league-best 5 shutouts, although he finished second in best goalie votes, goals against and goals against average to Anatoly Shirov of Koroli Khirov. Defenseman Ivan Nikitin was solid on the top defensive pair shutting down offenses all over the league while also leading the club in scoring. Second line winger Aleksandr Izmaylov led all rookies in scoring with an impressive 22 goals and 14 assists.

Koroli Khirov
Koroli Khirov had another excellent season but failed to finish with the top record. Grigory Timofayev led the league in scoring for the second straight year and seemed to settle down now that Mikhail Garin was out of the picture and his spot on the top line was safe. Defenseman Kodiak Mikhailov fit in nicely and despite only scoring one goal, led the league in assists with 49. Anatoly Sharov was a beast in goal stealing plenty of games for Koroli Khirov. 

Atletika Kamezan
Despite making some big moves in the offseason, Atletika Kamezan had a disappointing season falling to third place in the league. Age appeared to be a factor with the club's leading scorer Trofim Kolesov at the ripe age of 42 and top line center (moved over from the wing) and 1919-20 scoring champ Vladislav Matveyev at 39. They both signed on for another year, but at that age, nobody knew what they'd be able to accomplish in the 1922-23 season. The defense was again astounding with the top pairing of Andrei Kutepov and Aleksandr Fomin combining to shut down most offensive threats. Goalie Dmitri Kryukov did well in net while young Aaro Honkala impressed in his few starts.

Shakhtery Gorabinsk
Once again, Shakhtery Gorabinsk finished at the bottom of the standings, however there were several bright moments. Left winger Misha Bogolyubov lit the lamp consistently and only missed the league's top scoring mark by 2 points. The young goaltending tandem of Vladimir Tarasov and rookie Konstantin Krylov kept Gorabinsk in quite a few games. For the 1921-22 season, Shakhtery Gorabinsk moved their numbers into the black stripe on the back of their sweater, but fans complained they were too small and hard to make out.

3/07/2020 10:33 pm  #33

JCRGraphics wrote:

I am changing the way I present jerseys a little. Each season will have a graphic showing the whole league. Here are the graphics up to this point...

Awesome!  This is so much better visually than scrolling up and down the pages to compare all of the jerseys!   This is something I've wanted to see one of these fictional leagues do for a while now, usually we only see jerseys when they are updated.  

Also, I haven't mentioned this yet, but I'm digging the era appropriate style you've got with the jerseys and definitely am excited to see how the designs evolve over time!

Regarding the Miners new jerseys, while they are a bit small, I still prefer the numbers in the middle of the back part of the jersey over being on the top part.  That did always look a bit strange to me, so I dig the upgrade!

Last edited by Stickman (3/07/2020 10:36 pm)

3/07/2020 11:03 pm  #34

1921-22 JOTUNMARK

National Happenings
Prime Minister: Jón Gunnarsson (Independent)
Jón Gunnarsson defeated Agnar Halldórsson in the 1921 election
Population: 8,020,000

Southmark
At the conclusion of World War I, the Jotunnish were in a state of disarray having borne the brunt of the fighting on the island. A vote was taken on whether to return the capital to Lon or Jotunheim. After quite a bit of posturing between the more liberal Jotunnish and convervative Suthri Jews that culminated in a military standoff in 1921, it was agreed that Southmark would be allowed to cecede peacefully in exchange for funds to help rebuild Jotunmark. The Republic of Southmark was set up as a parliamentary republic with Jotunnish as the national language. The shared heritage of the Jotunnish and Suthris helped smooth over the previous issues, and led to a long-term alliance and friendship that lasts to today. Since its' founding on April 10, 1922, Southmark has welcomed Jewish refugees from all over the world and tripled in population during World War II. 
New map of Ostrovia

Suthri flag

Jotunmark Íshokkídeildin 
Jotun Cup Co-Champions: Jotunheim Jotnar and Lon Grænu
League MVP: Alvah Sjögren, Lon Grænu
Top Scorer: Bjalfi Aslaksson, Jotunheim Jotnar
Top Goalie: Onäm Ruud, Jotunheim Jotnar

Despite the militray standoff, and Southmark becoming an independent nation in the 1921-22 season, the hockey season continued as scheduled. With the Jotunheim Jotnar and Lon Grænu in first and second place, it was decided that due to the political climate it would not be appropriate for a Jotunnish club to play against a Suthri club so close to the separation, so the clubs were instead named co-champions.

It was announced that a new hockey league would begin play in the 1922-23 season with teams from Southmark playing meaning that the Lon Grænu and Lundarbrekka Hákarlar would be leaving the Jotunmark Íshokkídeildin. 

* Beginning in the 1922-23 season, all players from Southmark will have the new Suthri flag on their nationality.

Standings:
1. Jotunheim Jotnar - 16-5-3
2. Lon Grænu - 13-9-2
3. Skjalfandi Ísbirnir - 10-13-1
4. Lundarbrekka Hákarlar - 9-14-1
5. Fljotsbork Tröll - 8-15-1

Jotunheim Jotnar
Earning their third straight first place finish, the Jotunheim Jotnar benefitted greatly from the scoring of Bjalfi Aslaksson who won his third straight scoring title. The defense was a little weaker due to some retirements from the previous year, however goaltender Onäm Ruud was excellent earning the top goalie honors.

Lon Grænu
The big news in Lon was the rookie phenom Alvah Sjögren who led the club in scoring and earned league MVP honors. He was constantly a stride ahead of defenders who couldn't match his blazing speed. A lot of Sjögren's success was owed to his center Bjartmar Axelsson who was an excellent passer and his left winger and team captain Alvar Palmarsson who helped Sjögren adjust to the professional game. Goaltending was excellent with Jader Fraenkel getting the majority of starts and Adrian Ögrason doing well in relief.

Skjalfandi Ísbirnir
The Skjalfandi Ísbirnir had a mediocre season due to a lack of team scoring. Kjói Gygjarsson led the club in scoring, but there wasn't much after him. Defense was also particularly weak, however goalie Kusi Broddisson stepped up his game a bit and kept the Ísbirnir in more than a few games. The Ísbirnir added a red hem stripe to their uniforms for the 1921-22 season.

Lundarbrekka Hákarlar
The Hákarlar surprised a lot of people with their poor season. On paper the club looked very good, however underperformance and poor morale was a major issue throughout the season. Valdimar Shameel led the club in scoring while the top defensive pair of Haki Urtharsson and Hildimundur Maccoby did well against opponents. Starting goalie Dann Manischewitz was actually quite good, but in the end, his record didn't reflect it.

Fljotsbork Tröll
The Fljotsbork Tröll dropped the most in the 1921-22 season mostly due to major injuries. 1920-21 MVP Skirnir Steinbergursson was out for most of the year with back issues as well as goalie Börje Lindahl who took a puck in the throat early in the season forcing Iver Hallsson to take the rest of the starts. With Steinbergursson gone, Ioketill Seimursson picked up the slack leading the club in scoring. 

3/07/2020 11:06 pm  #35

Stickman wrote:

Also, I haven't mentioned this yet, but I'm digging the era appropriate style you've got with the jerseys and definitely am excited to see how the designs evolve over time!

Regarding the Miners new jerseys, while they are a bit small, I still prefer the numbers in the middle of the back part of the jersey over being on the top part.  That did always look a bit strange to me, so I dig the upgrade!

Thanks! As for that number choice on the Shakhtery Gorabinsk sweater, I am trying to create a look that although is annoying to modern hockey fans, would evolve appropriately. If you look at the history of the NHL, there were some questionable design choices, and without getting too ridiculous with it, I will be reflecting the styles of the times. 

Great feedback BTW!

3/07/2020 11:39 pm  #36

I love the new presentation, but I think it could be nice if they were in order of the standings.

3/07/2020 11:43 pm  #37

1921-22 SÆLØ

National Happenings
President: Henning Lundberg (Libertarian Party)
Population: 3,988,000

Sælø Ishockey Liga
Mester Kop Champions: Østerhavn Skibsbygger
League MVP: Gudmund Doessing, Aukia Indfødte
Top Scorer: Lone Zohore, Østerhavn Skibsbygger
Top Goalie: Holger Rohde, Østerhavn Skibsbygger

Standings:
1. Østerhavn Skibsbygger - 13-9-2
2. Aukia Indfødte - 13-10-1
3. Middehall Senatorer - 11-12-1
4. Saelsby Sæler - 9-15-0

Østerhavn Skibsbygger
The 1921-22 season saw the Skibsbygger reach the top again winning the Mester Kop in a tight race with the Aukia Indfødte which came down to a tie. Lone Zohore far outscored anybody else in the league with 40 goals in only 24 games. Defenseman Aage Kahlenberg had an excellent season as well picking up 11 goals and 34 assists. Goalie Holger Rohde seemed to grow younger and faster as the season went on earning top goalie honors.

Aukia Indfødte
The many offseason moves made by the Aukia Indfødte definitely paid off with a second place finish only missing the Mester Kop due to having one more loss than the Østerhavn Skibsbygger. The youngsters added a new level of speed unmatched by other clubs. Scoring was led by local hero Munamee Kuliktana who played right wing on the top line with his cousin Thukkekina Tunutmoak on the other side. The two seemed to have an extra sense for where the other was at all times. Defenseman Gudmund Doessing was the club's and league's MVP thanks to his physical play clearing players away from Ståle Salmarsson and Marius Fjoelvarsson who split goaltending duties.

Middehall Senatorer
The Middehall Senatorer realized fairly quickly they had made some poor trades with the Aukia Indfødte as their new goalie Jørgen Reiten was a downgrade and defenseman Simonie Bendtsen didn't accomplish much either. Finnish rookie Esa-Pekka Koskinen did rather well bouncing between the second and third lines leading all rookies in scoring. The club's top scorer was 41-year-old Håvard Grønkjær who announced it would be his last season as a professional. 

Saelsby Sæler
Yet again, the Saelsby Sæler found themselves at the bottom of the standings due to poor goaltending and almost non-existent offense. Reinhold Træholt led the club in scoring despite playing on the second line. Prior to the end of the season, it was announced that the club had found a buyer in Saelish-American millionaire Clarence Andersen. His added money meant that the club could afford to sign better players in the offseason.

3/07/2020 11:43 pm  #38

I like the roster cards, I've been thinking of doing something similar in my series since I love seeing how players progress and such. Nice work on the presentation as always.

In these early goings, I think Osterhavn is my favorite so far. I just like that oversized logo and I've always been a fan of ship building. I really like the look of the Trolls even though they suck. Aukia has a fantastic look as well in these early days.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/08/2020 8:40 am  #39

Nice, close call in the Saelo league!   Glad Osterhavn won!  The co-champions scenario in the Jotunmark league makes sense, definitely curious to see what the Southmark teams look like!

3/11/2020 11:01 am  #40

1922 Offseason

The 1922 offseason was a very busy one despite no actual trades taking place. The Khokkeynaya Liga Korolya announced that it would be accepting two new clubs: Geroi Dnitrolovsk (Heroes) and Tigry Nizhnereka (Tigers). The new Suðrimark Íshokkísambandið (Southmark Hockey Association) would begin play in the 1922-23 season with 4 teams including the Lon Grænu and Lundarbrekka Hákarlar as well as new clubs the Faxaoss Ljón (Lions) and Tongstal Ernir (Eagles). The Jotunmark Íshokkídeildin announced that there would be 4 teams in the league for the 1922-23 season with the Kaldaross Karíbó (Caribou) joining somewhat making up for the loss of the other 2 clubs. Several Suthri players left each of the leagues to go play in Southmark.

Khokkeynaya Liga Korolya

Atletika Kamezan
+ RW Mikhail Tsereteli - Signed as Rookie
+ D Ziemowit Kowal - Signed as Rookie
- RW Koldan Abramovich - Retired
- D Vyacheslav Turov - Retired

Geroi Dnitrolovsk
+ C Thorstar Iorundsson - Signed as Free Agent

Koroli Khirov
+ RW Ilariy Polunin - Signed as Rookie
- RW Modya Denisov - Retired

Matrosy Mezhdupovets
+ D Alexei Vasilyev - Signed as Free Agent
+ C Hugo Unnsson - Signed as Rookie
+ RW Maxim Samsonov - Signed as Rookie
+ D Vsevolod Kapustin - Signed as Rookie
+ D Valery Abakumov - Signed as Rookie
- C Yuli Kazantsev - Retired
- RW Vyacheslav Maksimov - Retired
- D Miron Volkov - Retired
- D Vyacheslav Sukhanov - Released
- D Yegor Aksyonov - Released

Shakhtery Gorabinsk
+ LW Vasya Matveyev - Signed as Rookie
+ D Stanislav Jílek - Signed as Rookie
- LW Vyacheslav Ukhtomsky - Retired
- D Vikentiy Shalyapin - Retired

Jotunmark Íshokkídeildin

Fljotsbork Tröll
+ C Tobias Lundin - Signed as Rookie
+ RW Hrosskell Tjoervisson - Signed as Rookie
+ D Stanley Dagnýsson - Signed as Rookie
+ D Flóki Oddgeirsson - Signed as Rookie
+ G Himri Marsson - Signed as Rookie
- C Shlomo Áslaugsson - Released
- RW Skirnir Steinbergursson - Released
- D Gabriel Rosenberg - Released
- D John Meldgaard - Released
- G Börje Lindahl - Released

Jotunheim Jotnar
+ C Bjartmann Bernhardsson - Signed as Rookie
+ RW Jósteinn Adrielsson - Signed as Rookie
+ D Haklang Nored - Signed as Rookie
+ D Alvah Karlason - Signed as Rookie
- D Einar Samsonsson - Retired
- D Úlfgeir Konstantinusson - Released
- C Kristbergur Akerström - Released
- RW Bjarkan Lichtman - Released

Kaldaross Karíbó
+ LW Kaj Ankersen - Signed as Free Agent
+ RW Peter Sørensen - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Úlfgeir Konstantinusson - Signed as Free Agent
+ D John Meldgaard - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Manúel Hersteinsson - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Ulfbjorn Berven - Signed as Free Agent
+ G Rio Finnlaugsson - Signed as Free Agent
+ G Adrian Ögrason - Signed as Free Agent

Skjalfandi Ísbirnir
+ LW Kolgrimur Ulfbjornsson - Signed as Rookie
+ D Snailaugur Sigvidsson - Signed as Rookie
+ G Alf Kristinnsson - Signed as Rookie 
- LW Ira Stephany - Released
- D Manúel Hersteinsson - Released
- G Rio Finnlaugsson - Released

Sælø Ishockey Liga

Aukia Indfødte
+ C Edgar Akeeshoo - Signed as Rookie
+ LW Svoelnir Isgautsson - Signed as Rookie
+ R Ivar Boesen - Signed as Rookie
- C Christopher Egilsson - Retired
- LW Kaj Ankersen - Released
- RW Peter Sørensen - Released

Middehall Senatorer
+ C Flemming Pedersen - Signed as Rookie
+ D Svend Rasmussen - Signed as Rookie
- C Håvard Grønkjær - Retired
- D Simonie Bendtsen - Retired

Østerhavn Skibsbygger
+ LW Gustav Martinsen - Signed as Rookie
+ LW Sigbjørn Ihle - Signed as Rookie
+ D Olav Loberg - Signed as Rookie
+ G John Markussen - Signed as Rookie
- LW Martin Bisserup - Retired
- LW Thorfrethr Eivinsson - Retired
- G Henrik Hansen - Retired
- D Ulfbjorn Berven - Released

Saelsby Sæler
+ C George Crosley - Signed as Free Agent
+ LW Arthur Greene - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Roy Carlyle - Signed as Free Agent
+ C Herman Urup - Signed as Rookie
+ C Troels Knudsen - Signed as Rookie
- C Reinhold Træholt - Retired
- LW Thomas Nielsen - Retired
- C Machau Lindeman - Released
- C Kristen Mathiesen - Released
- D Rune Bentsen - Released

Suðrimark Íshokkísambandið

Faxaoss Ljón
+ C Machau Lindeman - Signed as Free Agent
+ C Kristen Mathiesen - Signed as Free Agent
+ LW Ira Stephany - Signed as Free Agent
+ RW Skirnir Steinbergursson - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Yegor Aksyonov - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Gabriel Rosenberg - Signed as Free Agent

Lon Grænu
+ C Eliezer Rozencrantz - Signed as Free Agent
+ LW Jesiah Magnuson - Signed as Rookie
+ G Tore Schapiro - Signed as Rookie
- LW Amundi Eysteinsson - Retired
- C Thorstar Iorundsson - Released
- G Adrian Ögrason - Released

Lundarbrekka Hákarlar
+ RW Einar Schalit - Signed as Rookie
- RW Anders Bergius - Retired

Tongstal Ernir
+ C Kristbergur Akerström - Signed as Free Agent
+ C Shlomo Áslaugsson - Signed as Free Agent
+ RW Bjarkan Lichtman - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Rune Bentsen - Signed as Free Agent
+ D Vyacheslav Sukhanov - Signed as Free Agent
+ G Börje Lindahl - Signed as Free Agent

Last edited by JCRGraphics (3/11/2020 11:02 am)

Board footera