Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2020 12:33 pm  #731

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Louisville looks pretty good to but Indy so far is the better looking of the two

8/24/2020 1:08 pm  #732

I love that orange and green, with so few teams using it in real life, it's a great way to be unique, with a scheme that works for most eras.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/24/2020 3:19 pm  #733

It's unorthodox, and typically I'm not huge on singular names but I'm a fan of this. I will admit it's leaning a bit into Chargers territory, but they're minimized their horse imagery over time so I think it's okay. I really like the "Lucky Thunder" backstory and the color and logos are fantastic too. Good job. 

8/24/2020 4:26 pm  #734

Louisville looks great, I've always been a fan of "Thunder" for the city. I like the red/gold, very USC-like. Great work on the expansion teams, I hope they do well!

8/24/2020 5:03 pm  #735

Goodbye Ottawa, hello Indiana! 

8/24/2020 5:49 pm  #736

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

It's unorthodox, and typically I'm not huge on singular names but I'm a fan of this. I will admit it's leaning a bit into Chargers territory, but they're minimized their horse imagery over time so I think it's okay. I really like the "Lucky Thunder" backstory and the color and logos are fantastic too. Good job. 

QCS wrote:

Louisville looks great, I've always been a fan of "Thunder" for the city. I like the red/gold, very USC-like. Great work on the expansion teams, I hope they do well!

There was definitely inspiration taken from both the Chargers and USC for Louisville. I wanted to do a look that was a little more innovative within its time, and the Chargers brought the lighting bolts in 1960 so I felt it was a good direction to go.

As for Indiana, I took inspiration from the Chargers' early shield logos (especially in early designs), as well as Parma FC in Serie A. Then, the jerseys are Chicago Bears inspired with the striping pattern.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the new teams!

Moving on, however, there is plenty of other things happening in the offseason

It's Scouting Time!
I have loads of prospects already, but with more teams, that means more picks so more are needed.

Current Prospect Number: 50
QB - 3
RB - 6
OL - 13 - ZO82 dropped about 12 yesterday...wow might be moving some of those to next year to let others have a shot in the position, but appreciate it!
WR - 5
TE - 3
DL - 4
LB - 5
DB - 5
S - 4
K - 2

Really need defense at the moment, only 8 out of the 35 are there.
RB would be the main position on offense, WR is an option too, but Defense is a for sure!
Still Looking for more defense over offense at this point

And a reminder to keep things realistic, and because of the expansion, the Midwest will attract some talent for sure.

SCOUTING REPORT

Last edited by Wallflower (8/25/2020 12:26 pm)

8/24/2020 7:21 pm  #737

After years of OL shortage, I figured i'd bump you up OLs

8/24/2020 7:21 pm  #738

Both the Victors and Thunder look great! Both have unique color schemes (red/gold can go great with most things, so I'm fine with the fact you used the colors for Louisville instead of what I suggested) and equally great designs. Just sent some prospects your way!

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

8/24/2020 9:15 pm  #739

Big fan of Louisville's whole look. The logo, colors, and uniforms are all classic and make this a top tier look in the league. I love the backstory of the name and Thunder is a good football name and fits the city well

My allegiance is still with Buffalo, but I'll be happy if either Indiana or Louisville can do well early on

8/25/2020 3:39 pm  #740

1957 League Meetings and Rule Changes
Following the McCallister Cup in November the league meets with all the owners of the teams as well as player representatives from each team. However, this year brings the newly formed NAAF Players Committee. The NPC is made up of retired players that work with the league throughout the season to help make proposals for rule changes and other league decisions. Currently, the group is made up of 5 players with more to join over the coming years. Former Boston QB Larry Larson is the leader and creator of the committee. Ryan Jameson has been working with Larson to form the group. Throughout this season 3 other players joined Larson in the NPC. Former Buffalo DB Oscar Patterson, former Gold Stars/Royals WR Eugene Burns, and former Blue Wing/Tiger/Royal QB Evan Morrow. They will introduce the 5th member for this upcoming meeting session with WR Allen Atkins who is retiring and participating prior to the official announcement later this offseason. 

All the representatives that attend the league meetings will have a vote on what rules or proposals. 24 of 28 votes are needed to pass a change without revision, while 20 is needed for a pass with minor revision.  

League Structure
A majority of the rules about the structure were agreed upon in the last offseason, but the league wanted to give Sammy Kirkdale and Vince Forsyth opportunities to have a say about the decisions. The decided upon changes remained intact with the league going to an East-West division alignment. The West having Buffalo, Indiana, Long Island, Louisville, and Ontario, and the East having, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Providence, and Worcester. 

The playoffs would be getting an expansion allowing for 6 of the 10 teams to make it. The top team in each division would get a bye week into the Division Finals. The second-place finisher in each division would host the Division Semi-Final games. The 3rd place in each would then be the visitors in the Division Semi-Finals. The crossover rule will still remain if the 4th best team in one division has a better record than the 3rd place team in the other.  

The schedule will be expanded to 12 games for the new season with each team playing their division opponents twice and 4 of the other 5 teams once. There will be one matchup that won’t happen each season which will rotate year to year.  

Expansion Draft
With the new teams, the expansion draft is a huge debate for the league. The goal this time around is to make the new teams competitive while also making sure the established teams wouldn’t be robbed. The protection rules ended up with two parts. The first was an auto protection for players aged 24 and under. It would cover any players from the past two draft years. The players that are auto protected will not count towards the team’s selected protection. The selected protection allows teams to protect 12 players on their roster from last season.  Teams will have a chance to protect more players during the draft. Once two players from their team have been picked, they will have the option to protect an additional player with every player taken after that.   The 2 new teams will have 20 selections for the draft. They are not required to use all 20 picks if they don’t want to. They will be picked in a serpentine draft starting with one team. The team that picks second in the expansion draft will get the 1st pick in the entry draft.  

Once players have been selected, the two teams will be able to use what will be known as the “Expansion Tag”. If the team uses an Expansion Tag the player tagged will have to play at least one year with the team at a salary of $15,000. The Tag will only last one season and the teams will only be able to use it for this season. The tag can only be used on 4 players. This is to try and not have players be picked and then leave and allow the new teams to have competitive teams. 

Roster Rule Changes
Injuries became a major issue this past season, and some teams were having issues with the limitations of the active roster rules. For this season the maximum capacity for the active roster will move from 32 to 40. Allowing for an extra backup in almost every position. The reserve rosters will remain at 12 players (a move to 10 got heavily rejected). The big change will be, any players on the roster at 25 years of age will be available for any team to pick up for their active roster (much like the NFL’s practice rosters).  

Team Captains
With Ryan Jameson being a former hockey player, he wanted to bring the captaincy system that hockey teams use to the NAAF. Each team will now have a designated captain with a “C” on the left side of their jersey (except Worcester who will still have the Heart Patch on that side). The teams will also select 2 Assistant Captains designated with “A”. They will be announced alongside the season preview.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully this isn't the most boring post, but it needs to get out there for the upcoming season. If there are any questions about the rules, feel free to ask!
I will also have another smaller post later tonight more specifically about a team. 

Board footera