Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2020 10:47 pm  #61

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Hey, I'll take a tie! And wow, Montreal goes down to Hartford, who we beat last week. I'm hopping on the Brazeau Train, hopefully it rides us all the way to the championship, or at least another win!

3/06/2020 1:49 pm  #62

1950 Week 4

Providence Gold Stars - 28, Ottawa Royals - 34

The season just gets crazier with this game as the Royals stun the Gold Stars on the road. Ottawa continues to dominate as a road team with a 6-1 record since joining the NAAF. The leader in this game was surprisingly Ottawa RB Ray Middleton who stepped up to counter Providence’s strong secondary. With Ottawa switching to a heavier run game they were able to move the ball more effectively. Middleton had a career game scoring 3 touchdowns, 2 on the ground and a receiving touchdown that tricked the Gold Stars. WR Allen Adkins had the other TD for Ottawa on a great catch against fellow superstar DB Lee Wolfe.
Providence found themselves struggling early against the young Royals secondary and Gene Fischer was off. They picked it up in the second half and had come back and taken the lead late 28-24 on a Eugene Burns touchdown. However, they were unable to stop the Royals from scoring and fell short of a win. QB Bruce Woodard still had one of his best games throwing three touchdowns to three different players (WR Eugene Burns, WR Peter Brooks, and TE Marion Warren).

Boston Independents - 10, Montreal Rouge - 17
The final unbeaten team falls after the Rouge bounce back from their stunning loss to Hartford. The Rouge defense finally showed the NAAF why they were so feared by shutting down RB Joel Bonner and the Boston offense. LB Quinton Brewer was the leader in this resurgence with 8 tackles and an interception. Jean-Luc Paget also showed his ability by forcing 2 turnovers, with the deflection that led to Brewer’s pick and a pick of his own. The offense had less pressure on themselves and was able to ride the Marchal train to two touchdowns and the 17-10 win.
QB Larry Larson might have shown a little bit of his age in the game with the two interceptions. While he threw a touchdown late to WR Samuel Floyd, there wasn’t much happening on the offensive side of the ball for the Independents. 

Toronto Tigers - 20, Buffalo Blue Wings - 17
The Tigers rode Brazeau to their second win in 3 weeks. RB Laurent Brazeau continued to show that he is here to stay in the NAAF with two touchdowns once again. The Blue Wings had no answers for the up and coming RB and were shredded by Brazeau. QB Evan Morrow made his first start against his former team and was out to prove that Buffalo might have made a mistake in changing QB’s. While it wasn’t a stellar performance with 1 interception which DB Oscar Patterson had taken back to the red zone, but he was on point in leading the Tigers consistently downfield.
QB Angelo Medina has so far blown up in the Blue Wings’ face as he has not been what they expected. Medina is still finding his grip on the hybrid version of the sport and had to play the two McCallister Cup Finalists to start, but this is the game they were supposed to win and they fell short once again. Medina threw two more interceptions but started to show consistency late in the game. RB Arthur Conner was the redeeming factor for Buffalo with both of their touchdowns, but there are a lot of questions circling the disappointing start.

Standings
Montreal 3-1
Ottawa 2-1-1
Toronto 2-1-1
Boston 2-1
Providence 1-2
Hartford 1-2
Buffalo 0-3

Power Rankings
Montreal +2
Boston -1
Ottawa +1
Providence -2
Toronto -
Hartford -
Buffalo -

Players of the Week

OFF: RB Ray Middleton OTT - 2 Rushing Touchdowns, 1 Receiving Touchdown, 103 Rushing Yards

DEF: LB Quinton Brewer MTL - 8 Tackles, 1 Interception 

Week 5 Games
HAR (1-2) @ BUF (0-3)
PRO (1-2) @ TOR (2-1-1)
BYE: BOS, MTL, OTT

Last edited by Wallflower (3/06/2020 7:04 pm)

3/07/2020 2:49 pm  #63

1950 Week 5

Buffalo Blue Wings - 28, Hartford Hawks - 6
QB Angelo Medina finally showed his highly sought after talent in the Blue Wings first win of the season. Passing for two touchdowns and even flashing his mobility and ran a touchdown in for himself. Joseph Barry and Kenneth Mullen got into the endzone for the Blue Wings off of Medina’s TD passes. The Buffalo defense was the major factor as they shut down all the Hawks offense. DB Oscar Patterson had a pick on Oliver Callahan’s first throw and DL Jonathan Brown was able to get to Callahan a couple of times.
The Hawks once again found themselves lost and unable to move the ball. QB Oliver Callahan continued to be inconsistent and had a bad game again, and was replaced by Ellis Sears in the 4th when they were down 28-3. RB Ellis Love was stopped most of the time, only finding a small rhythm late in the game. Hartford completely flopped after managing to upset the Rouge just two weeks prior. 

Toronto Tigers - 10, Providence Gold Stars - 31
Providence recovers from their 1-2 start with a strong win in Toronto. QB Bruce Woodard played a great game throwing three touchdowns with no turnovers against a Tigers secondary that has been solid so far. WR Eugene Burns caught two of the touchdowns, while the other went to Peter Brooks. The defense was also solid slowing down the Brazeau train and giving Toronto a tough time. Lee Wolfe had another interception and the DL got to Toronto QB Evan Morrow a couple of times.
The loss for Toronto was tough but not surprising as they just don’t have the weapons to stand up to teams like the Gold Stars, but they definitely showed improvement. Brazeau was shut down for the most part but was still able to get on the board for the Tigers with their lone touchdown. 

Standings
Montreal 3-1
Ottawa 2-1-1
Toronto 2-2-1
Boston 2-1
Providence 2-2
Buffalo 1-3
Hartford 1-3

Power Rankings
Montreal - 
Boston - 
Ottawa - 
Providence - 
Toronto -
Buffalo +1
Hartford -1

Players of the Week

OFF: QB Bruce Woodard PRO - 3 Passing Touchdowns, 325 Passing Yards

DEF: DL Jonathan Brown BUF - 2 Sacks, 5 tackles 

Week 6 Games
OTT (2-1-1) @ MTL (3-1)
BOS (2-1) @ HAR (1-3)
BYE: BUF, PRO, TOR

3/07/2020 3:38 pm  #64

Hey, we won again!  We're ahead of Boston in the standings! Go Tigers!

3/08/2020 7:57 pm  #65

1950 Week 6

Montreal Rouge - 27, Ottawa Royals - 17
The Rouge entered the second half of the season with another win over the Royals at home. The Montreal defense shined once again, stifling the high flying Royals offense en route to their 4th win of the season. RB Élisée Marchal once again was in the endzone twice while QB Maurice Norris threw his first TD pass of the season to WR Richard de la Fontaine. DB Léonard Lebrun had an interception today for the Rouge as well.
The Royals' luck on the road seemed to come to an end on Mount Royal as they were unable to stop Marchal and move the ball themselves till later in the contest. RB Ray Middleton continued to play well scoring another touchdown and Willard Brooks also took an 11-yard reception to the house. 

Hartford Hawks - 0, Boston Independents - 34
Following their stunning upset in Montreal, the Hartford Hawks have completely fallen off the rails. QB Oliver Callahan has seemingly lost all confidence and is unable to get the ball more than 5-yards upfield. The team may have to turn to veteran Ellis Sears as the full time starter if things don’t change. RB Ellis Love has been a helpful piece to get behind Callahan but when he starts to struggle too, the whole offense is unable to get anywhere. To make matters worse, they will be missing All-Star WR John Rivera to another injury (3 Weeks).
Boston, on the other hand, came into this game hungry since they have only played 3 games to this point and had been waiting a week since losing to Montreal in week 4. Larry Larson threw for 3 touchdowns in this one finding WR Samuel Floyd twice and WR Ethan Walters once. Joel Bonner ran in the other score. As for the defense, they raided the Hartford offense with turnover after turnover. DB Francis Veillette and DB Lester Murphy had a pick each and the D-Line forced 3 fumbles. Boston also becomes the first team to claim both offensive and defensive players of the week. 

Standings
Montreal 3-1
Boston 3-1
Ottawa 2-2-1
Toronto 2-2-1
Providence 2-2
Buffalo 1-3
Hartford 1-4

Power Rankings
Montreal -
Boston - 
Ottawa - 
Providence - 
Toronto - 
Buffalo - 
Hartford - 

Players of the Week

OFF: WR Samuel Floyd BOS - 2 Receiving Touchdowns, 124 Receiving Yards

DEF: DL Craig Newman BOS - 1 Fumble Recovery, 1 Forced Fumble, 5 Tackles 

Week 7 Games
TOR (2-2-1) @ BUF (1-3)
BOS (3-1) @ PRO (2-2)
HAR (1-4) @ OTT (2-2-1)

3/09/2020 6:08 pm  #66

1950 Week 7 

Buffalo Blue Wings - 25, Toronto Tigers - 17
The Blue Wings have caught stride heading into the second half of the season picking up their second win in the rematch against local rival Toronto. RB Arthur Connor was the driving force in the Blue Wing offense scoring 2 touchdowns. QB Angelo Medina has finally found his footing in hybrid gridiron football throwing for a touchdown to Travis Gallagher on their opening drive and kept it up throughout. DB Dylan Alston had a pick for the Blue Wings as well. 
The Tigers, unfortunately, ran into injury trouble in this game losing OL Edward Kirk for the season and DL Sean Hull for the rest of the regular season. These were two of Toronto’s key players and they had a hard time getting over that hump. RB Laurent Brazeau still was able to break it into the endzone twice but they just were not able to hold Buffalo back and fell short. 

Providence Gold Stars - 13, Boston Independents - 13
The Gold Stars were seconds from victory before Boston broke their hearts again. The rematch of the season opener lived up to the hype once again. The first half of this one was a back and forth which ultimately ended scorelessly. Neither team was willing to budge. In the 3rd quarter, Boston finally broke the stalemate with a field goal, but Providence would match it on their next drive. The Independents would add a second field goal before the quarter ended. Providence entered the fourth determined to finally beat the Boston team that has haunted them for years. They had a really strong drive about 4 minutes into the final frame that was capped off by a WR Peter Brooks touchdown. They continued to put pressure on and added to the lead with a field goal. They held Boston pat until the final minute when QB Larry Larson led the Independents down the field. They got down to the 22 with 20 seconds left and a 2nd and 4. Larson dropped back and found Samuel Floyd cutting underneath splitting the DB’s and hit him with the pass. Floyd would accelerate and dash his way into the endzone untouched to tie the game up. Providence was so close to winning but fell apart at the last moment. 

Ottawa Royals - 28, Hartford Hawks - 16
The Royals get a solid win at home over the Hawks. QB Duane Logan hit both WR John Hall and WR Willard Brooks for touchdowns, while RB Ray Middleton was in for the other two. Ottawa focused more on the run again and that helped them keep a balanced attack going throughout the game.
The Hawks looked better after two miserable games but were still nowhere near a win. They fell well short on the drive, but with the leg of Thomas McFadden, they were able to get points out of it. RB Ellis Love was able to get into the endzone again and give the Hawks a little boost but was not enough.  

Standings
Montreal 4-1
Boston 3-1-1
Ottawa 3-2-1
Providence 2-2-1
Toronto 2-3-1
Buffalo 2-3
Hartford 1-5

Power Rankings
Montreal -
Boston -
Ottawa - 
Providence -
Buffalo +1
Toronto -
Hartford - 

Players of the Week

OFF: RB Arthur Connor BUF - 2 Rushing Touchdowns, 105 Rushing Yards

DEF: S Michael O’Brien BOS - 3 Knockdowns, 3 Tackles 

Week 8 Games
BUF (2-3) @ OTT (3-2-1)
MTL (4-1) @ PRO (2-2-1)
HAR (1-5) @ BOS (3-1-1)

3/10/2020 1:43 am  #67

If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious to know if whatever template you're using for the uniforms is available or not. It's clearly based on the one used for the Gridiron Uniform Database. That website apparently had a template available at one point but it has since disappeared. Also, I'm curious to know how you simulate the individual games.

Keep up the fantastic work!

3/10/2020 3:40 pm  #68

TigerFan93 wrote:

If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious to know if whatever template you're using for the uniforms is available or not. It's clearly based on the one used for the Gridiron Uniform Database. That website apparently had a template available at one point but it has since disappeared. Also, I'm curious to know how you simulate the individual games.

First, for the template, I would ask MyTeamIsDr.Pepper, it is their template.

Wallflower wrote:

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I like the depth of info on individual stats, have you mentioned how you aim these games? I saw that everyone has a rating, but is there a further breakdown that gives you these stats? Or is it a highly skilled imagination connecting the scores to players?

Every player currently has a single overall rating for simplicity (I have tried more in-depth before and that was wayyy to much). I used to take overalls of the entire team, but now that I have backups and such, I have set up starting lineups for both offence and defence and take the average of those ratings. Offense also includes kickers and both have the coaches overall as well. From that, I take the average between the two sides and that is a team's overall. I then use dice with a slight adjustment of a home dice having a slight advantage and then add in the overall difference as a sort of handy cap to determine who wins. 

The next step is purely imagination with both scores and stats. I don't really have a system to determine how the game goes "randomly" and that would be something I may try to do at some point, but that is a whole other side project. In terms of what players perform well, that is based on overalls as I will take the higher rated players to be the stars that score and such and I also have developed playing styles for teams like Montreal is heavy rushing and defense while Ottawa is a great air attack but lack defense. Hense why Marchel had such a dominant game for Montreal on the ground and Duane Logan was the only QB throwing 2 touchdowns.

Hope that answers some questions, if anyone wants to see a roster I can show an example.

And for the sim, I explained it here in an earlier post, but it is evolving as I find the right balance with the results and right now what I have seems to be working (any adjustments will be made in the offseason so I am not skewing results during a season). All the actual story is just me sitting and coming up with what happens and then the players that perform well I just base that on overalls. The higher "star" players will be mentioned weekly, then I will throw in a couple of different stories to make it interesting and realistic when players have a big season even when they aren't the greatest players ever. 

Thanks!
And if there is other questions ask away.

Last edited by Wallflower (3/10/2020 5:30 pm)

3/10/2020 4:14 pm  #69

TigerFan93 wrote:

I actually based mine off of and old league's that i was a fan of(Veras' AFA that was on the CCSLC before getting deleted). I'm not sure how Wallflower got a hand on my template to be honest but i can pm you a version if your interested.

3/10/2020 7:00 pm  #70

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

TigerFan93 wrote:

I actually based mine off of and old league's that i was a fan of(Veras' AFA that was on the CCSLC before getting deleted). I'm not sure how Wallflower got a hand on my template to be honest but i can pm you a version if your interested.

Yes, I'm very much interested as I'm thinking of doing a football thread of my own at some point.

Board footera