Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2020 2:14 pm  #651

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

I love the week-to-week format, as it gives us a nice chance to see how the season unfolds. I'm totally fine with the simpler recaps. I'd love the depth for playoffs if you feel up to it, but either way works for me.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/08/2020 2:39 pm  #652

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I love the week-to-week format, as it gives us a nice chance to see how the season unfolds. I'm totally fine with the simpler recaps. I'd love the depth for playoffs if you feel up to it, but either way works for me.

Oh yea, I will still do the depth in the playoffs, I think they will be better and more special because I won't be doing it for every game throughout the season. I am glad that people appreciate the week-to-week format, it gives it that extra little bit of realism and intrigue that comes with how we watch real life sports. 

8/08/2020 4:18 pm  #653

I agree with Dan here the week to week format is great but could become a problem with more teams so going in-death for the playoffs only is a smarter option in my mind

8/08/2020 4:43 pm  #654

1956 Schedule
The season sees CBS increase their coverage by a couple more games, and it is expected the station will look to expand further with more games next season. 

1956 Season Preview - 
Power Rankings 

1 - Ottawa Royals
1955 Record: 9-1
1955 Result: Won McCallister Cup
The Royals enter another season as the favourites to win it all. After claiming back-to-back titles, GM Otis Ward knew he would still have to make some adjustments. The defense still needed attention and he gave it just that by bringing in loads of talent and depth. LB Roland Hensley, the top defensive free agent, will be the anchor in the middle of the defense for the team this season. They also brought in DL Matis Baril, DB Ryan Landry, and DL Joseph McMillan to solidify the depth on the team. On offense, the Royals only lost WR Willard Brooks. The good news is it will open up more opportunities for young WR Chester Bennet and WR Mackenzie Jones for QB Jean Matieau to build chemistry with. With a stronger defense and the offense that is still the best in the league, the Royals are the team to beat in the NAAF this season. 

Player to Watch: WR Chester Bennett
Biggest Acquisition: LB Roland Hensley
Rookie to Watch: DB Petr Westerburg 

2 - Worcester Athletics
1955 Record: 5-4-1
1955 Result: Lost Semi-Finals
The Athletics had a fantastic second half of last season which earned them their first playoff berth, however, if the young team wants to take the next step they are going to have to be consistent from the start. The offseason provided much of the support the team is looking for to make their move to an elite team in the NAAF. They made two major trades with their Massachusetts rivals in Boston. Adding key pieces in WR Ethan Walters, LB Silas O’Brien, and most importantly DB Lester Murphy. The players both strengthen the depth on the team, but Murphy and Walters specifically bring championship experience. Worcester could easily take over as the top team in the league if HC Emil Riddle and QB Riley Kiernan can get the team going from the start. Eyes will be on these two as now the expectations are high and they need to show they can perform. They will be playing for their late owner this season which will give them a bit of a fire to start and something to fight for. 

Player to Watch: QB Riley Kiernan
Biggest Acquisition: DB Lester Murphy
Rookie to Watch: OL Nazario Baldassare 

3 - Buffalo Blue Wings
1955 Record: 6-4
1955 Result: Lost Semi-Finals
The Blue Wings have continued to be overshadowed by the dominant Royals, but they remain a top contender. Unfortunately, they don’t have time on their side, and they will need to make a major push for a championship this year. RB Arthur Conner had an MVP caliber season last year and he will have to replicate it if the team wants to get past the Royals with a stronger defense. The team was unable to make any major adjustments in the offseason which may be a cause for concern, but their defense remains as strong as ever with DL Sean Bowen, DB Ollie Guy, and S Frazier Brooks leading the way. Buffalo will be a competitive team again but they will have to stay healthy and take a major step up this season. 

Player to Watch: RB Arthur Conner
Biggest Acquisition: RB Gene Fischer
Rookie to Watch: DB Amos King 

4 - Providence Gold Stars
1955 Record: 5-5
1955 Result: Missed Playoffs
A brand new leader in HC Roy Aguire takes over in Providence. The former Offensive Coordinator from the Tigers will have his hands on an interesting offense. QB Connor O’Rourke had a great first season as a starter and Aguire should be able to help O’Rourke take the next step this season with his offensive talents. He will also be working with RB Johnnie Stafford and WRs Peter and Willard Brooks, which could create a lot of havoc for secondaries this season. The defense will be a mix of veterans and younger pieces coming in. DB Lee Wolfe is still the alpha on defense, but DL Calias McDonough will be looking to make a statement in his second season. Providence looks to have the best team they’ve had since the 9-1 season a couple of years ago. 

Player to Watch: DL Calias McDonough
Biggest Acquisition: WR Willard Brooks
Rookie to Watch: WR Sammy Moss 

5 - Long Island Raiders
1955 Record: 6-3-1
1955 Result: Lost McCallister Cup
Despite their surprise season last year, the Raiders fall a bit on the power rankings. This season will be more about giving younger talent a shot in leadership roles. RB Timothy Weeks will be the focus on offense after the team signed him to replace RB Gene Fischer. Weeks showed some promise after Worcester RB Marcus Devonshire was knocked out at the end of last season. The rest of the team remains pretty similar to younger players getting more time on the field. LB Gene Bensen and S Johan Eckhart will have starting positions this season with DB Clinton Gates and recently acquired LB Charlie Finster having some chances to back up the veterans. QB Lyle Painter will be in his second season and the question will be can he continue to grow in the starting role or will there be a hangover from last season? Long Island looks like a possible step back this season but should be a threat for years to come. 

Player to Watch: QB Lyle Painter
Biggest Acquisition: RB Timothy Weeks
Rookie to Watch: DB Clinton Gates 

6 - Ontario Tigers
1955 Record: 4-6
The Tigers could be making their last true effort for the playoffs with this core. QB Duane Logan and LB Roland Hensley both left which might be a bad sign for upcoming free agents RB Laurent Brazeau and DB Louie White. They still have them now but there will be lots of pressure on the team to make something happen this year. QB Christian Stewart is heading into his first season as the starter and will have a lot of pressure on himself to get the team into the playoffs. With financial limitations, the team wasn’t able to make too many big moves and have relied on keeping a lot of the same players around which might be a sign of concern regarding their recent lack of success. HC Lewis Gallagoes will be on the hot seat this season as the Tigers aren’t looking great.  

Player to Watch: QB Christian Stewart
Biggest Acquisition: LB Jim Daniels
Rookie to Watch: RB Clifford Russell 

7 - Boston Independents
1955 Record: 2-8
Boston this season will be looking to continue their rebuild. After making some more substantial moves they may be a bit worse off this season, but there is lots of youth that will hopefully start to emerge as they get into this season. LB Brent Harper and WR Ellis Lindholm will likely be looked at to take on leadership roles with the young team. QB Brian Meadows enters his second season as the starter but he certainly will be challenged by the back up in QB Caldwell Higgins III. Higgins will likely see the field for Boston looking to see which QB could be the future of the team. Boston might be able to challenge some of the middling teams, but still likely to be a long season again for the Independents. 

Player to Watch: QB Caldwell Higgins III
Biggest Acquisition: WR Clifford Church
Rookie to Watch: LB Konrad Aust 

8 - Montreal Rouge
1955 Record: 2-8
The Rouge...well…the 1956 season might be long for Boston, but it could be longer for Montreal. They lost QB Lee Rogers to the ACFL after trading for him last year, but their only solution is a 39-year-old QB, Bruce Woodard. Woodard will likely fit in as a mentor to St-Hilaire but it's still a head-scratcher. RB Scott Mallard-White could be an interesting story but the team will likely still run with RB Élisée Marchal. Not only that, but they also have an abysmal offensive line which will not make it easy for the team to move the ball at all. DB Jontray Cox and DB Quentin Xavier will hopefully take steps forward, but it's not going to be easy this season. LB Rusty McVee will be the interesting story as only signing for 2 more years, it is likely the LB could be on the move sooner rather than later, and he will want to make a good impression for the other teams in the league who may want him. 

Player to Watch: LB Rusty McVee
Biggest Acquisition: QB Bruce Woodard
Rookie to Watch: RB Scott Mallard-White 

Any predictions for this season? Who's getting to Worcester Stadium at the end of the season?

Last edited by Wallflower (8/25/2020 2:43 pm)

8/08/2020 5:02 pm  #655

I said this last year and I’m going to say it again this year, the championship is Ottawa’s to lose. Also this is definitely a make or break year for Ontario with two of their best players hitting FA at the end of the season. Interesting to see how it unfolds for the Tigers.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

8/08/2020 5:07 pm  #656

3-peat here we come! Going with Ottawa over Providence in the McCalister this time around.

8/09/2020 4:02 pm  #657

Week 1

Ottawa Royals - 36, Montreal Rouge - 3 - Royals Stadium at Brewer Park - July 14th, 1956 - 7 PM ET - CBC
1st
7-0 OTT - TD WR Chester Bennett
14-0 OTT - TD RB Alexei Volkov
2nd
21-0 OTT - TD RB Alexei Volkov
21-3 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
3rd
24-3 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette
31-3 OTT - TD WR Mackenzie Jones
4th
33-3 OTT - Safety DL Olaf Viktorsson
36-3 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette 

RB Alexei Volkov had a huge game with 2 rushing touchdowns for 143 yards
QB Jean Matieau would find both his young WRs for TD passes
The Royals defense dominated the Rouge all game with DB Uzzia Hayes and DB Mingan Oliver taking in interceptions
QB Bruce Woodard was sacked 5 times in the game which led to QB Rigobert St-Hilaire getting a few snaps
RB Scott Mallard-White had a few rushes as well in the game for a total of 26 Yards 

Buffalo Blue Wings - 20, Long Island Raiders - 15 - Buffalo Civic Stadium - July 15th, 1956 - 1 PM ET - CBS
1st
0-3 LI - FG K Thomas McFadden
7-3 BUF - TD RB Arthur Conner
2nd
14-3 BUF - TD RB Arthur Conner
3rd
14-9 LI - TD WR Robert Lang
14-12 LI - FG K Thomas McFadden
17-12 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
4th
20-12 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
20-15 LI - FG K Thomas McFadden 

RB Arthur Conner led the way for the Blue Wings, taking home two touchdowns in the first half
Long Island was able to make a comeback in the 3rd with QB Lyle Painter finding WR Robert Lang for a touchdown following a DB Slay Mitchell interception
WR Samuel Floyd left the game with an injury after being hit hard by DB Amyre Rouleau which resulted in a fumble. 

Ontario Tigers - 13, Boston Independents - 23 - Kitchener-Waterloo City Field - July 15th, 1956 - 4 PM ET
1st
0-3 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
2nd
0-10 BOS - TD RB Joel Bonner
3-10 ON - FG K Nathaniel King
3rd
3-13 BOS - FG K Jonnie Berg
10-13 ON - TD RB Clifford Russell
4th
10-20 BOS - TD WR Ellis Lindholm
10-23 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
13-23 ON - FG K Nathaniel King 

Ontario had a rough start to the season losing two big players to injury from the start, LB Aengus Lynch and RB Laurent Brazeau.
Brazeau’s injury would allow 3rd overall pick, RB Clifford Russell, to finish off a drive in the third for his first career touchdown.
Boston controlled most of the game and was able to attack the middle of the field leading to WR Ellis Lindholm’s TD and a win to start the year.
DB Clayton Malone had a pick for Boston and LB Brent Harper had a forced fumble. 

Providence Gold Stars - 18, Worcester Athletics - 30 - New Providence Stadium - July 16th, 1956 - 3 PM ET - CBS
1st
7-0 PRO - TD WR Peter Brooks
7-7 WOR - TD RB Marcus Devonshire
7-14 WOR - TD DB Alexander Bradley
2nd
7-17 WOR - FG K Tevoris Francis
14-17 PRO - TD RB Johnnie Stafford
3rd
14-23 WOR - TD WR Christian Venegas
17-23 PRO - FG K Bernard Barnett
4th
18-23 PRO - Single K Bernard Barnett
18-30 WOR - TD RB Marcus Devonshire 

QB Riley Kiernan showed his confidence with a pair of touchdown passes in the opener
DB Alexander Bradley would be a difference-maker with 2 interceptions with one going back to the house
Providence would have their moments with DB Lee Wolfe getting a pick to set up RB Stafford’s TD 

Injury Report
WR Samuel Floyd BUF - 3 Weeks
TE Johnny Mantle IV LI - 3 Weeks
LB Aengus Lynch ON - 2 Weeks
RB Laurent Brazeau ON - 1 Week
OL James Knowles OTT - 1 Week
OL Adorat Blain OTT - 4 Weeks 

Players of the Week

OFF: RB Arthur Conner BUF - 2 Rushing Touchdowns, 124 Rushing Yards

DEF: DB Alexander Bradley WOR - 2 Interceptions, 1 Touchdown, 4 Tackles

Standings
NORTH
Ottawa 1-0
Buffalo 1-0
Ontario 0-1
Montreal 0-1

NEW ENGLAND
Worcester 1-0
Boston 1-0
Long Island 0-1
Providence 0-1

Power Rankings
1 - Ottawa - 
2 - Worcester - 
3 - Buffalo -
4 - Providence -
5 - Boston +2
6 - Long Island -1
7 - Ontario -1
8 - Montreal - 

Week 2 Games
ON (0-1) @ WOR (1-0) - JUL 20 - 7 PM ET - CBS
PRO (0-1) @ MTL (0-1) - JUL 21 - 1 PM ET - CBC
BUF (1-0) @ BOS (1-0) - JUL 21 - 4 PM ET
OTT (1-0) @ LI (0-1) - JUL 22 - 3 PM ET - CBS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After trying to write the early part of the season I was struggling a bit so I ended up including a scoring summary which I am going to try out for this season and see how I feel about it. Hope it interests you guys to see who scores and all that!

8/09/2020 4:05 pm  #658

I like the new format a lot and 1-0 11 more wins to go hopefully

8/09/2020 4:54 pm  #659

I like the new format and makes it an easier read with the score summary apart of the game summary. Also disappointing first game for my Gold Stars with that brutal second half. Hopefully the easier match up against Montreal can get the team back on the winning path.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

8/09/2020 5:23 pm  #660

Lynch and Brazeau? Man that sucks. It's going to be a rough season isn't it. 
I'll third the comments about the new format, it's really nice!

Board footera