Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2023 5:06 pm  #2381

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

TheEnigmaticOne wrote:

Just a question I had about Xerxes Wynn. Was he brought in because Granger worked with him in Indiana? And its he the second string or third?

I'm sure that is part of it. I can't remember the exact reason, it could also be that he adds some mobility as a passer which could be a utility. At this point, it's a toss-up between him and Matt Fletcher who is the backup. Fletcher has more experience and is more of the pocket passer type, but Wynn certainly is no slouch and brings some mobility in the pocket. So, I guess it would depend on where the team is and the situation if they feel like one is better than the other. 

4/15/2023 5:13 pm  #2382

1970 Week 2

Roster Moves
TOR: LB Judge Barrett | Active Roster -> Injured Reserve
TOR: LB Greg Manson | Reserve List -> Active Roster

Toronto Steelheads - 16 @ Louisville Thunder - 31 - Thunder Stadium - Friday, June 26, 1970 - 7:00 PM ET - FNF - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
3-0: TOR - FG K Vic Greatwood
3-7: LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Casey Coleman
2nd Q
10-7: TOR - RTD RB Max Tracy
13-7: TOR - FG K Vic Greatwood
13-10: LOU - FG K Elvis Franklin
3rd Q
13-17: LOU - RTD RB Neil Bradley
13-24: LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Casey Coleman
4th Q
16-24: TOR - FG K Vic Greatwood
16-31: LOU - RTD RB Neil Bradley

The Thunder finally put an end to their record-breaking losing streak with a strong win over the Toronto Steelheads. WR Casey Coleman was the key factor in the win, as he was able to outclass DB Oliver Langstrom for a pair of great touchdowns.
Toronto had a strong first half and held the lead, but they could not overcome the adjustments that the Thunder made in the second half.

Ottawa Royals - 18 @ Long Island Raiders - 23 - Long Island Stadium - Saturday, June 27, 1970 - 12:00 PM ET - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
7-0: OTT - PTD QB Drake Young -> WR Colby Bancana
10-0: OTT - FG K Ira Foster
10-3: LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
2nd Q
10-10: LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
10-17: LI - PTD QB Ivan Sanchez -> WR Larry Mossholder
3rd Q
11-17: OTT - Single K Ira Foster
11-20: LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
4th Q
18-20: OTT - RTD RB Corbyn Knight
18-23: LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher

The Raiders made a huge statement with a win over the Ottawa Royals to show that they are potential contenders this season. The defence especially stepped up to hold the Royals to only 18 points on the day.
The Royals made a late push in the game, but a big strip sack from Raiders’ DL Dallas Breaker would kill their last chance. 

Boston Independents - 20 @ Halifax Mariners - 17 - OT - Atlantic Stadium - Saturday, June 27, 1970 - 12:00 PM ET/1:00 PM AT - Weather: Rain
1st Q
7-0: HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Shane Steadman
2nd Q
7-7: BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Zachariah Pembroke
7-10: BOS - FG K Woody Woodstock
3rd Q
14-10: HFX - RTD RB Byron Rodham
14-17: BOS - RTD RB Reggie Whitehead
4th Q
17-17: HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
Overtime
17-20: BOS FG K Woody Woodstock

Another rainy day in Halifax saw another close defensive duel, especially in the second half when the rain picked up. Luckily, the Mariners could fight through it and tie the game late. However, Boston would get the lone score in the extra frame after LB Mads Strahlman forced a fumble off of rookie TE Brandom McPhail. 

Vancouver Wolves - 34 @ Regina Wheat Kings - 20 - Broad Street Stadium - Saturday, June 27, 1970 - 3:30 PM ET/1:30 PM CST - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
7-0: VAN - RTD RB Jeremiah Morrow
14-0: VAN - PTD QB Kevin Westwood -> TE Johnny Temple
2nd Q
14-7: REG - PTD QB Rusty Lamb -> WR Nick Spalding
17-7: VAN - FG K Sterling Brooks
3rd Q
24-7: VAN - PTD QB Kevin Westwood -> WR Keshawn Johnston
24-10: REG - FG K Mark Mundle
27-10: VAN - FG K Sterling Brooks
4th Q
27-13: REG - FG K Mark Mundle
34-13: VAN - KRTD RB Nikki Yang
34-20: REG - RTD RB Deion Chapman

It was smooth sailing for the Wolves who jumped out to a 24-7 lead against the Wheat Kings. Vancouver was letting off the gas in the second half, which allowed the Wheat Kings to get a couple of scores, but RB Nikki Yang would remove any chance of a comeback with a touchdown on the kickoff after the Wheat Kings’ second field goal.

London Tigers - 31 @ Montreal Rouge - 28 - Mount Royal Stadium - Saturday, June 27, 1970 - 3:30 PM ET - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
2nd Q
7-0: LDN - RTD RB Jeremy Royal
7-7: MTL - RTD RB Théodore Lemieux
7-14: MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Yahui Sun
3rd Q
14-14: LDN - RTD RB Jeremy Royal
14-21: MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Taylor Karis
21-21: LDN - RTD RB Jeremy Royal
4th Q
21-28: MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Taylor Karis
28-28: LDN - PTD QB Magnus Torrensen -> WR Cole Fletcher
31-28: LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth

After a scoreless first quarter, RB Jeremy Royal exploded for 3 touchdowns in the next two quarters. The 2nd year running back shredded the Rouge defence all day for 184 rushing yards. 
QB Gene Bishop continued his struggles from week 1 with two interceptions but was still able to find the endzone 3 times. WR Taylor Karis remains the key piece in the offence putting up his league-leading 3rd and 4th touchdowns. 

Minnesota Serpents - 14 @ Edmonton Rangers - 22 - Forest Heights Park - Saturday, June 27, 1970 - 7:00 PM ET/5:00 PM MT - SNF - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
3-0: MIN - FG K Ray Bough
3-7: EDM - RTD RB Gary Hubbard
2nd Q
3-14: EDM - PTD QB Blair Collins -> WR Johnathan Duncan
6-14: MIN - FG K Ray Bough
3rd Q
12-14: MIN - PTD QB Martin Keller -> WR Sebastian Dassler
14-14: MIN - 2PT - RB Hugo Hughes
14-15: EDM - Single K Thomas Standberry
4th Q
14-22: EDM - RTD RB Gary Hubbard

The Rangers welcomed the Serpents into Edmonton only to outplay them all game long, showing that they absolutely can compete for the West Division playoff spots. The first half especially saw the Rangers’ defence have its way with Minnesota’s offence. 
The Serpents did get the game tied in the 3rd, but it wouldn’t matter as the Rangers shut them down in the 4th.

Buffalo Blue Wings - 25 @ Providence Gold Stars - 7 - New Providence Stadium - Sunday, June 28, 1970 - 1:00 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
3-0: BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
2nd Q
10-0: BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Jimmy Jack
17-0: BUF - RTD RB Jimmy Golden
3rd Q
24-0: BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Tracy Driscoll
4th Q
25-0: BUF - Single K Ryan Perch
25-7: PRO - PTD QB Ulysses Lawyer -> WR Justin Palmer

The Blue Wings rolled into Providence and casually took a 25-0 lead. Charles Lemieux was picture-perfect all day except for 1 interception to S Tom Parrish. Providence’s offence was pretty much non-existent in the first 3 quarters only getting over mid-field once. QB Ulysses Lawyer was given the nod in the 4th quarter over QB Landon Ross and got the team in the endzone to avoid the shutout.

Calgary Tigers - 14 @ Winnipeg Falcons - 28 - Provencher Park - Sunday, June 28, 1970 - 1:00 PM ET/12:00 PM CT - Weather: Clear/Hot
1st Q
0-7: WPG - PTD QB Emerson Thompson -> WR Juwan Sylvester
2nd Q
7-7: CGY - RTD RB John Drexel
7-14: WPG - RTD RB Joe Rivers
3rd Q
7-21: WPG - PTD QB Emerson Thompson -> WR Terry Upshaw
4th Q
14-21: CGY - RTD QB Jesse Essex
14-28: WPG - RTD RB Mark St-Pierre

Extreme heat hit Winnipeg on Sunday certainly affecting the players on the field. Winnipeg was able to jump out to a 7-21 lead by the end of the 3rd quarter. Calgary would get a late drive, allowing both of their QBs into the game (Jesse Essex and Jerome Sheppard) to help keep them fresh, finding the endzone with a Jesse Essex run. RB Joe Rivers would go down late with cramps for Winnipeg, which allowed backup RB Mark St-Pierre to explode for a 64-yard touchdown easily outrunning the tried Calgary defence while on fresh legs.

Indiana Victors - 27 @ Pittsburgh Blacksmiths - 34 - Riverfront Stadium of Pittsburgh - Sunday, June 28, 1970 - 4:30 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
3-0: IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
3-7: PIT - PTD QB Louis Vaughn -> TE Jesse Butler
10-7: IND - RTD RB Tresean Jones
2nd Q
10-14: PIT - PTD QB Louis Vaughn -> WR Orlando Barrack
17-14: IND - RTD RB Tresean Jones
17-21: PIT - RTD RB Raymond Green
3rd Q
24-21: IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> WR Jake Abberdezzi
24-24: PIT - FG K Al Highlander
4th Q
24-31: PIT - PTD QB Louis Vaughn -> WR Taylor Austin
24-34: PIT - FG K Al Highlander
27-34: IND - FG K Ross Poindexter

Pittsburgh and Indiana closed out the week with an offensive battle. Both RB Tresean Jones and RB Raymond Green were able to get majors against their former team. While Jones was having the better game he would be knocked out in the second half, which bumped the Victors down to 1 RB since Carl Blackwell-Lake left the game earlier. RB Shannon West was not strong in his first chance as a lead back and Pittsburgh was able to take advantage and pull away on the back of QB Louis Vaughn’s 3rd TD of the game. 

Injury Report
CGY: DL Damien Battles - 2 Weeks
EDM: S Greg Fairchild - 12 Weeks
HFX: QB Michael Miranda - 4 Weeks
IND: RB Tresean Jones - 2 Weeks
IND: RB Carl Blackwell-Lake - 1 Week
LOU: OL Robert Pelletier - Day-to-Day
MTL: DL Sebastian Hamilton - Day-to-Day
VAN: OL Nick Bowen - 2 Weeks
WPG: RB Joe Rivers - Day-to-Day

Players of the Week

OFF: RB Jeremy Royal LDN - 3 Rushing Touchdowns, 184 Rushing Yards

DEF: LB Frank St. John EDM - 10 Tackles, 1 Forced Fumble

Standings
WEST
Edmonton - 2-0
Vancouver - 2-0
Minnesota - 1-1
Winnipeg - 1-1
Calgary - 0-2
Regina - 0-2

CENTRAL
Buffalo - 2-0
Indiana - 1-1
Louisville - 1-1
London - 1-1
Pittsburgh - 1-1
Toronto - 1-1

EAST
Long Island - 2-0
Ottawa - 1-1
Halifax - 1-1
Boston - 1-1
Montreal - 0-2
Providence - 0-2

Power Rankings
1 - Buffalo +1
2 - Vancouver +2
3 - Ottawa -2
4 - Pittsburgh +1
5 - Long Island +3
6 - Indiana -3
7 - Boston -1
8 - Edmonton +5
9 - Halifax -
10 - Minnesota -3
11 - Louisville -
12 - Providence -2
13 - Montreal -1
14 - London +2
15 - Toronto -
16 - Winnipeg +2
17 - Calgary -3
18 - Regina - 

Week 3 Games
HFX (1-1) @ OTT (1-1) - JUL 1 - 5:00 PM ET - Canada Day
LDN (1-1) @ IND (1-1) - JUL 3 - 6:00 PM ET - Friday Night Football
WPG (1-1) @ VAN (2-0) - JUL 3 - 9:00 PM ET - Friday Night Football
PRO (0-2) @ LOU (1-1) - JUL 4 - 2:00 PM ET - 4th of July
PIT (1-1) @ BOS (1-1) - JUL 4 - 6:00 PM ET - 4th of July
EDM (2-0) @ MTL (0-2) - JUL 5 - 1:00 PM ET
REG (0-2) @ MIN (1-1) - JUL 5 - 1:00 PM ET
LI (2-0) @ CGY (0-2) - JUL 5 - 4:30 PM ET
BUF (2-0) @ TOR (1-1) - JUL 5 - 4:30 PM ET

4/15/2023 5:27 pm  #2383

Cool update, glad to see Louisville win a game. Also, do you have attendance records? I don't think I've seen any.

4/15/2023 5:36 pm  #2384

TheEnigmaticOne wrote:

Cool update, glad to see Louisville win a game. Also, do you have attendance records? I don't think I've seen any.

No, I do not track attendance

4/15/2023 5:51 pm  #2385

Wow, back-to-back Offensive Player of the Week for my guys, that is nice. I don’t even mind that Royal did it against Montreal. Meanwhile, my other team, Buffalo, is still very much a dominant team, which is very nice to see. #FlyWingsFly

4/15/2023 6:26 pm  #2386

What an absolute McPhail.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/16/2023 9:33 pm  #2387

I’m not as concerned about the Mariner’s 1-1 start as I am having back to back weeks of losing starters to injury for multiple weeks…. We gotta stay healthy if we want to even sniff the playoffs. Side note, I’m really digging these new graphics Wallflower.

4/16/2023 9:51 pm  #2388

McPhail really living up to the family name

4/16/2023 10:07 pm  #2389

RaysUp wrote:

I’m not as concerned about the Mariner’s 1-1 start as I am having back to back weeks of losing starters to injury for multiple weeks…. We gotta stay healthy if we want to even sniff the playoffs. Side note, I’m really digging these new graphics Wallflower.

Oh don't worry Miranda is the backup QB... you'd think the Mariner fan would know that Lyle Painter is the starter.../s

Thanks! I'm glad the new graphics are a hit. 

Last edited by Wallflower (4/16/2023 10:08 pm)

4/17/2023 3:00 pm  #2390

Wallflower wrote:

RaysUp wrote:

Oh don't worry Miranda is the backup QB... you'd think the Mariner fan would know that Lyle Painter is the starter.../s

Thanks! I'm glad the new graphics are a hit. 

🤦🏻‍♂️ I wasn’t think when I wrote that out… but now I’m wondering why Miranda saw action, with the game being so close, you’d think that’d be the last thing the OC would want to do is have the backup in there willingly…. I reread the game synopsis and didn’t see anything about Painter having to leave the game… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Board footera