Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2020 9:13 am  #131

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Love the depth you’re bringing! I think the weekly presentation of this series has been great. Still like Buffalo the most, but I really like Providence’s set and Worcester’s logo.

4/09/2020 10:17 am  #132

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Love the depth you’re bringing! I think the weekly presentation of this series has been great. Still like Buffalo the most, but I really like Providence’s set and Worcester’s logo.

Thanks so much! I'm loving just simulating this way too. The only downside and the thing I get a little worried about is the league's growth and how that will slow down the process, so expansion will not happen as quickly or frequently especially early on.

Also, note to everyone, that this offseason will have more posts like the draft, re-signing, free agents, so on. This is hopefully going to continue every season following, but this year it will be a bit sparse since I am finishing up exams and will have to focus on that more over the next couple weeks. After that, I'm gonna be working on the NAAF and AltHL for the summer!

4/09/2020 1:53 pm  #133

Congrats, to Montreal! I really like the idea about having a public vote for the awards, hopefully you get enough votes for it. Love the off season detail as well, excited to see how it goes.

4/10/2020 3:22 pm  #134

1951 NAAF Awards 
Welcome to the 1951 Awards Ceremony! Congratulations to the Montreal Rouge on winning the McCallister Cup. Now let's get to the first few awards. 

NAAF Coach of the Year
Several coaches did well this season. Blue Wings coach Bobby Hooper led Buffalo to a 5-1 start and their first playoff appearance. The winner of the last two years Peter McDuffin of the Boston Independents still managed a strong 8-2 season while missing their star player in Joel Bonner. However, it comes down to the championship-winning coach. Guy Clarke was the man behind the dominant force of the Montreal Rouge this season who didn’t lose a single game this season. The performance earns Guy Clarke the coach of the year award for 1951

Head Coach Guy Clarke - Montreal Rouge

NAAF Rookie of the Year
The rookie class of 1951 was not quite as prominent as 1950. RB Laurent Brazeau took the league by storm last year, but this year the rookie was a much more difficult selection. It came down to a couple of nominees, but it was eventually a two-man race between Hawks backup QB Andrew Sexton and Blue Wings WR Clifford Church. In the end, Clifford Church had a stronger season as a 3rd/4th receiver for the Blue Wings. Both players showed promise this season and we will see how they both perform moving forward. 

Wide Receiver Clifford Church - Buffalo Blue Wings 

NAAF Special Teams Player of the Year
This award already has a shortlist to start with, but once again the Hawks had to rely on their kicker Thomas McFadden. McFadden was able to be a big help in the wins this season for the Hawks and was one of their leading scorers all season earning his second Special Teams Player of the Year.

Kicker Thomas McFadden - Hartford Hawks

NAAF Defensive Player of the Year
This season the vote for the defensive player of the year featured a nominee from each team. Coming into the final award announcement, we have the 3 nominees:

DB Lester Murphy - Boston Independents
With Boston missing their top weapon this year Lester Murphy stepped up big time helping Boston to a strong defensive performance. They were second behind Montreal in points against allowing 120. Murphy had a defensive player of the week in week 8 and even during the semi-final week. His 2 interceptions during the regular season were a big help and even won them a tight game against Toronto. 

LB Quinton Brewer - Montreal Rouge
Last year’s winner once again led the Montreal defense to the best in the league only allowing 110 points all season. Brewer himself was a Defensive Player of the week twice and had a total of 3 interceptions and led the Rouge in tackles.

DB Louie White - Toronto Tigers
White was also in consideration for rookie of the year last year alongside teammate Laurent Brazeau. White took the success from last year and continued to perform in his second NAAF season. White had 4 interceptions this season including 3 in one game in week 2 against the Athletics, capturing the defensive player of the week. White looks like a future star in the league on defense.   

This year’s winner is… 

Linebacker Quinton Brewer - Montreal Rouge

NAAF Offensive Player of the Year
The vote also came down to three players across the league. 

WR John Rivera - Montreal Rouge
Rivera did not take the league by storm this season, but he still put up 6 touchdowns for a Montreal team that rarely scored through the air this season. He also got a player of the week nod early in the season and led the Rouge in receiving yards all season and played a major role in getting the McCallister Cup to Montreal.

WR Allen Atkins - Ottawa Royals
Atkins has been easily one of the most overshadowed stars in the league falling short of this award in the last two seasons to RB Joel Bonner and his teammate QB Duane Logan. Atkins was one of the most dominant receivers leading the Royals in touchdowns with 16 and receiving yards. He also had a player of the week nod early on.  

RB Laurent Brazeau - Toronto Tigers

Brazeau’s climb to stardom has been a quick one. In just his second season the powerful running back led the team in touchdowns with 15. He also picked up a player of the week award after putting up 3 touchdowns against Providence and once again in the Week 10 win over Ottawa. Brazeau is easily the most important player for Toronto and what he was able to do with the team around him is amazing. 

And the award goes to… 

Running Back Laurent Brazeau - Toronto Tigers 

NAAF Most Valuable Player
Now for the final award. While several nominees were put into the conversation like Allen Atkins, Quinton Brewer, and Laurent Brazeau, it was pretty much decided that once again there was only one choice. 
Running Back Élisée Marchal once again dominated the league proving once again he is in another league. Marchal put up 20+ touchdowns for the third straight season finishing with 22, not to mention the additional 6 he scored in the playoffs. He also led the league in rushing yards all while leading an unbeaten Montreal Rouge team en route to their first championship. He had two Player of Week awards this season. Marchal has had little competition for the best player in the league and things wouldn’t be quite as bright for the Rouge without him

Your 1951 MVP… 

Running Back Élisée Marchal - Montreal Rouge 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks to those who voted!
We only had 5 votes including my own vote but the two winners were the only that got two votes while others had one vote. I am thinking of doing these nominations post with the voting next season so you can get a better idea of who did well. I will only have 3 nominations for the awards next year as the NHL does for their awards hopefully that helps get a more decisive winner. 
I also hope more people will partake as we do it more. This was a test run and it grows from here! All-stars will be posted tonight or at some point this weekend!

Last edited by Wallflower (4/10/2020 3:23 pm)

4/11/2020 3:05 pm  #135

1951 NAAF All-Stars

*Number next to the player is the number of all-star roster appearances*
Offensive

QB Duane Logan - OTT - 2nd
RB Élisée Marchal - MTL - 3rd
RB Laurent Brazeau - TOR - 1st*
OL Casey York - BUF - 2nd
OL Malachi Knowles - WOR - 1st*
OL Joshua Mercer - MTL - 3rd
OL James Knowles - OTT - 3rd
OL Andrew Furrson - BOS - 2nd
WR Allen Atkins - 3rd
WR Peter Brooks - 1st*
WR John Rivera - MTL - 2nd
TE Darryl Hubbard - MTL - 1st*

Defensive
DL Napoléon Chevalier - MTL - 3rd
DL Jonathan Brown - BUF - 3rd
DL Sean Bowen - HAR - 2nd
DL Jean-Michel Duchane - MTL - 1st*
LB Carlos Bennett - BOS - 3rd
LB Quinton Brewer - MTL - 3rd
LB Samuel Grimes - PRO - 3rd
DB Lester Murphy - BOS - 1st*
DB Lee Wolfe - PRO - 3rd
DB Louie White - TOR - 2nd
S Micheal O’Brien - BOS - 3rd 

Special Teams
K Thomas McFadden - HAR - 2nd 

4/11/2020 10:30 pm  #136

Forgot to check the thread the past couple of days and forgot vote but I love the idea of a community vote. Any thought on community input like creating players for the draft?

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

4/11/2020 10:52 pm  #137

Captain Mort 3D wrote:

Forgot to check the thread the past couple of days and forgot vote but I love the idea of a community vote. Any thought on community input like creating players for the draft?

All good! I hope with a more frequent votes and polls people will start to know when votes might happen, I will also probably open polls for longer as well. The community aspect is one I want to build around this league too, especially because you get to see the results week-by-week. This goes along with my attempts to add character to these players and make it just a bit more immersive.

The idea of players for draft intrigues me. I typically just use a name generator and randomly make up the players, if you would like to help or if there is interest to add players into the story. I think it would add to the experience and take away some issues I have had with repetitive names. Feel free to give some ideas or even PM me. That goes for others as well. I was planning on building my draft class tomorrow, but I will give some people a chance to respond and maybe get some players in. I would make adjustments to the players and have control of their characters based on your ideas. I really like the idea! Thanks!

I also am curious about if people would want to know any player ratings or rosters?

I may also have a poll over that time about some other league decisions..

Last edited by Wallflower (4/11/2020 10:53 pm)

4/12/2020 8:31 pm  #138

NAAF Draft Scouting Reports

Inspired by Captain Mort, I want to try and give you guys a chance to add players to the story as if you were scouts. This is all for fun, I will keep going as usual if there are not many entries, but feel free to send in several! (Should be able to leave and then re-enter and submit again *If not let me know*)

In the form I only will require a name (First and last) and a position. Everything else is add-on if you want. I even added the ability to add yourself as a scout which I may use in the story. 
NAME: I will say for the names I would love them more if they were era-appropriate to an extent. Ethnicity does not matter in the league, there are no rules against it, so go nuts there. 
POSITION: I mention in the position selection that I may change positions if there is an over-saturation, I think the most needed at the moment would be LB, TE, RB, S, and OL. Feel free to add in other positions too. 
HOMETOWN: Right now I would want to keep this in the same region of the NAAF which extends to about Michigan to the west and Virginia to the south. Most players will still come from regions around the main 8 teams.
COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY: Honestly not sure if this will matter as much as the hometown, but if you wanna add it go ahead!
PERSONALITY: You can let me know if this is a leader or a hot-head maybe a quiet competitor, give them a direction, but I will still tie the player to the story and if certain details clash I may make adjustments
PLAY STYLE: Your scouting report basically, is he a power back or maybe a speedy receiver, pocket passer, hard hitter? All depth pretty much but makes it fun. 
SCOUT: This last space will be the chance to give a scout a name and leave your profile if you want and that I can then tie all players to your character. Try not to get too crazy or unrealistic, please.

This is once again a test and might not be perfect but can't know until we try, also don't worry if I complete the draft before you get anyone in. I won't likely use all the players in one year, so feel free to add a guy in. If there are any questions let me know!

SCOUTING REPORT

Last edited by Wallflower (4/12/2020 8:34 pm)

4/13/2020 11:21 am  #139

Loving the scouting reports! The formats pretty simple and it isn’t time consuming at all. I really encourage anyone else on the thread to go make a player or two.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

4/13/2020 12:09 pm  #140

Thanks again Captain Mort for suggesting the idea!
So far we got a good group of prospects, I do want the players you guys are creating to be near the top in terms of stars in the league so I will only be bringing so many into each year considering there aren't many teams at the moment, but they should all be top 2 rounds for the most part.

As for going forward, I will either post the form again in the intro post or just make another post when it is the offseason again, and I hope this is able to continue from year-to-year.

I am still open for more scouting reports. I will be doing a random draw maybe tomorrow afternoon to decide who is in the draft this year and that would be the cutoff for this season at least.

Board footera