Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2021 12:40 pm  #1281

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Jeez, when I thought Worcester was blowing everything up I didn't think their stadium would be blown up as well. There's no way they're staying in Worcester after this year, and if they somehow do it would be a miracle.

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

3/07/2021 12:52 pm  #1282

Chicago, Milwaukee, Washington, Baltimore, NYC, where will the A's go?

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

3/07/2021 3:14 pm  #1283

Conglaturation, Wooster. Your did it. At tried you least.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

3/07/2021 3:32 pm  #1284

That is one badass way to go out if this is the final chapter for the NAAF in Worcester.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

3/07/2021 4:15 pm  #1285

My guess is that the A's just don't ever play another home game this season. Seems like the best fix. Where they could go after this, because I doubt Worcester will rebuild them a stadium. I forget what cities have teams and which don't, but I'd say they probably end up somewhere that tried for an expansion team a few years back.

Quite the way to go out though.

3/07/2021 4:19 pm  #1286

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Quite the way to go out though.

One could say it was... a blaze of glory.

3/07/2021 5:37 pm  #1287

I'm glad everyone seems to be shocked by the sudden lack of stadium Worcester has, the planned situation was sparked long ago, I just had to lay the groundwork for a situation that is still far from being resolved. More information on the situation will be revealed over the next little while, so I hope you will all get excited to see what is to come. 

Also, there certainly was some foreshadowing about Worcester Stadium's fiery demise throughout some of the descriptions this season starting with the season preview. Just thought I would point that out. Anyway, more information to come, but the season must go on!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1961 Week 9

London Tigers - 38, Montreal Rouge - 11 - Western Fair Stadium - August 18, 1961 - 7 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
7-0 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Benedict Spencer
14-0 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
2nd Q
14-1 MTL - Single K Arthur Kettinger
17-1 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
24-1 LDN - DTD INT DB Jackson Miles
3rd Q
24-8 MTL- RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
31-8 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
4th Q
31-11 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
38-11 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton

The Tigers' defence shut down the Montreal offence while piling it on via QB Riley Kiernan’s air raid. DB Jackson Miles would have a big pick at the end of the first half to make it 24-1.
LB Aengus Lynch and DL Richard Blunt would have forced fumbles each.
Montreal would struggle to move the ball all game, especially with WR Robert Lang getting hurt.
WR Taylor Karis would get into the game catching 2 passes for 21 yards, but also dropped a couple. 

Providence Gold Stars - 19, Boston Independents - 6 - New Providence Stadium - August 19, 1961 - 7 PM ET- Weather: Rain
1st Q
7-0 PRO - RTD RB Marcus Devonshire
9-0 PRO - Safety DL Calias McDonough
2nd Q
9-3 BOS - FG Johnnie Berg
16-3 PRO - KRTD RB Tommy Kerr
3rd Q
4th Q19-3 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
19-6 BOS - FG K Johnie Berg 

The Gold Stars continued to roll with Connor O’Rourke back in the line-up and their defence taking it to the Independents. 
The defence made the biggest impact with DL Calias McDonough with a pair of sacks which included a safety. 
DB Jared Francis and LB Rusty McVee would both get forced fumbles as well to help the team.
Boston had some solid plays, but they were never able to finish with the Gold Stars defence playing on another level.

Louisville Thunder - 28, Long Island Raiders - 16 - Thunder Stadium - August 20, 1961 - 1 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
0-3 LI - FG Henderson Schumacher
7-3 LOU - RTD RB Stavros Black
2nd Q
7-10 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
14-10 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> TE Christopher Gist
3rd Q
21-10 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Truman Harry
4th Q
21-16 LI - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Wilson Queensgate
28-16 LOU - RTD RB Rodney Clark 

The Thunder got back to winning this week putting an end to the Raiders’ winning streak. Dumont was solid with a pair of touchdowns in the win and both his running backs scoring as well. Long Island’s more pass-heavy attack was thwarted by a rebounding secondary after a bad week in Providence. S Johnny Berger, DB Oliver Langstrom had picks with LB George Yokoi grabbing a fumble for the Thunder. 

Buffalo Blue Wings - 21, Indiana Victors - 14 - Buffalo Civic Stadium - August 20, 1961 - 4 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
3-0 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
2nd Q
3-7 IND - RTD RB Don Gregson
6-7 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
3rd Q
6-14 IND - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
12-14 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Ronald Vernon
14-14 BUF - 2PT RB Jimmy Golden
4th Q
21-14 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Daniel Irons 

The Blue Wings got another win over the Indiana Victors off of a late touchdown drive from the young QB Charles Lemieux. Indiana put up a solid fight, but they fell apart in the 4th being unable to stop the Blue Wings offence. S Frazier Brooks would get a pick and DL Harrison Fink had a fumble for the Blue Wings, and then Indiana would get a turnover from DB David Jones. 

Injury Report
DL Timmy Kerr LI - 1 Week
WR Robert Lang MTL - 3 Weeks 

Players of the Week 

OFF: QB Riley Kiernan LDN - 3 Passing Touchdowns, 289 Passing Yards 

DEF: DL Calias McDonough PRO - 1 Safety, 2 Sacks, 8 Tackles 

Standings
WEST
London 8-1 -x
Louisville 7-2 -x
Long Island 4-5
Buffalo 3-6
Indiana 1-8 

EAST
Boston 7-2 -x
Montreal 7-2 -x
Providence 5-4
Ottawa 2-6
Worcester 0-8 

Power Rankings
1 - London -
2 - Louisville +2
3 - Boston -1
4 - Montreal -1
5 - Providence -
6 - Long Island -
7 - Buffalo -
8 - Ottawa -
9 - Indiana -
10 - Worcester -  

LEAGUE CHANGES SCHEDULE
The NAAF announced the schedule changes to accommodate the Athletics for their remaining home games. Firstly, all 3 of Worcester’s remaining home games would be relocated to Boston’s Richardson Stadium. However, that resulted in several changes around the other games that still need to be played.  

For Week 10, Worcester and Buffalo would be moved to Sunday afternoon at 4 PM ET and London and Indiana would be moved from Sunday at 2 PM ET to the 3 PM ET Saturday slot. For Week 11, Worcester’s game against Ottawa would be scheduled for an additional Thursday Night Football, and then their rematch scheduled for Sunday in Ottawa would be moved to Labour Day at 8 PM ET. This means there will be 6 games played during week 11.  

Week 10 Games
PRO (5-4) @ OTT (2-6) - AUG 24 - 7 PM ET - Thursday Night Football
*PRO clinches playoffs with a win
LOU (7-2) @ MTL (7-2) - AUG 25 - 7 PM ET - Friday Night Football
IND (1-8) @ LDN (8-1) - AUG 26 - 3 PM ET
LI (4-5) @ BOS (7-2) - AUG 26 - 7 PM ET - Saturday Night Football
BUF (3-6) @ WOR (0-8) - AUG 27 - 4 PM ET @ Richardson Stadium

3/07/2021 5:58 pm  #1288

Providence beating Boston, you love to see it. It didn't look like Worcester was getting a win with their regular home games, it's even less likely they do in Boston.

3/07/2021 8:36 pm  #1289

Will we get the #SaveTheAthletics in this timeline

3/07/2021 10:37 pm  #1290

Dont know where Worcester will land by next season, but I would try for Portland, Maine. Its a medium sized city and would be retain the Athletics in New England. The only problem I can think of is lack of a appropriate venue.

Owner of the Texas Jackalopes 
2008-2009 AltBA Champions

Board footera