Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2020 5:40 pm  #1081

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

1959 Week 11 

Montreal Rouge - 20, Long Island Raiders - 23 - Mount Royal Stadium - September 5, 1959 - 3 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st
7-0 MTL - PTD QB Stanislav Ovechkin -> WR Derek Cross
7-3 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
10-3 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
2nd
10-10 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
13-10 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
13-13 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
3rd
13-20 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
4th
13-23 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
20-23 MTL - PTD QB Stanislave Ovechkin -> WR Derek Cross 

A tight game in Montreal ends with the Raiders taking home the win off of a 4th quarter field goal from Henderson Schumacher.
Ovechkin tried to make a comeback, but his effort was not enough and the Rouge are going into the final week of the season hanging on by a thread.
DB Quentin Xavier had a pick for the Rouge while LB Rusty McVee had a forced fumble for the Raiders.  

Providence Gold Stars - 29, Boston Independents - 18 - New Providence Stadium - September 5, 1959 - 7 PM ET - SNF - Weather: Clear
1st
3-0 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
3-7 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Ellis Lindholm
2nd
10-7 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Christian Venegas
13-7 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
20-7 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
3rd
20-10 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
26-10 PRO - RTD RB Tommy Kerr
4th
26-16 BOS - RTD RB Kendall Morgan
26-18 BOS - 2PT RB Kendall Morgan
29-17 PRO - FG K Ira Foster 

QB Connor O’Rourke lit a fire under the Gold Stars in a huge win over the Independents to give themselves an advantage in the hunt for the final playoff spot in the East.
WR 
Christian Venegas made a huge comeback with a touchdown to help them with the win, while Boston’s WR Ellis Lindholm had to leave the game with a potentially season-ending injury.
Boston’s loss puts Ottawa in a position to clinch the division later this week. 

Louisville Thunder - 26, London Tigers - 30 - Thunder Stadium - September 6, 1959 - 2 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st
7-0 LOU - DTD INT DB Alexander Bradley
7-3 LDN - FG K Nathaniel King
13-3 LOU - RTD RB Stavros Black
2nd
13-6 LDN - FG K Nathaniel King
13-13 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
16-13 LOU - FG K Theodore Provost
3rd
16-20 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Benedict Spencer
23-20 LOU - RTD RB Lawrence Sharp
23-23 LDN - FG K Nathaniel King
4th
26-23 LOU - FG K Theodore Provost
26-30 LDN - QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton 

The Tigers and Thunder came down to the wire once again with the Tigers escaping on the back of Riley Kiernan’s 3rd passing touchdown of the game.
Louisville gave it their shot, but despite a DB Alexander Bradley pick-6, they could stay ahead enough to get into a rhythm and ultimately fell short of a win. 

Indiana Victors - 25, Buffalo Blue Wings - 24 - Victory Stadium - September 7, 1959 - 2 PM ET - Labour Day - Weather: Clear
1st
7-0 IND - DTD FUM - DL William Sanderson
10-0 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
10-7 BUF - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
2nd
17-7 IND - RTD RB Rodney Clark
17-14 BUF - PTD QB Angelo Medina -> WR Daniel Irons
3rd
24-14 IND - PTD QB Stanley Troyer -> WR Nathan Green
24-17 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
4th
24-24 BUF - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
25-24 IND - Single K Ross Poindexter 

The Victors pulled off an amazing win with a shocking finish.
After Buffalo came back to tie the game, they were able to get the ball back with a good amount of time left in the game. 
However, Buffalo would choke it with QB Angelo Medina losing the football to DL William Sanderson for the second time in the game. 
The Victors took over and were going to kick the field goal, however, rookie K Ross Poindexter would shank the kick. 
The ball would land in the endzone and DB Jared Francis was not prepared for it and had to run after it and RB Rodney Clark was able to tackle the DB in the endzone which gave them the single. 

Ottawa Royals - 38, Worcester Athletics - 12 - Royals Stadium at Brewer Park - September 7, 1959 - 5 PM ET - Labour Day - Weather: Clear
1st
0-3 WOR - FG K Elvis Franklin
7-3 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Truman Harry
14-3 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Chester Bennett
2nd
21-3 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Mackenzie Jones
21-6 WOR - FG K Elvis Franklin
3rd
28-6 OTT - RTD RB Alexei Volkov
28-12 WOR - RTD RB Marcus Devonshire
4th
35-12 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Chester Bennett
38-12 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette 

The Royals smacked the Athletics in the teeth to seal their second straight East Division title. 
QB Jean Matieau had 4 passing touchdowns in the game and put up 328 Passing Yards.
S Randall Green also had his first career interception early on as well.
The Athletics could not get anything going especially with QB Gene Bishop going down with a regular-season-ending injury.
*OTT clinches the East Division 

Injury Report
WR Ellis Lindholm BOS - 3 Weeks
TE Johnny Mantle IV LI - Day-to-day
DB Victor Bean PRO - 4 Weeks
QB Gene Bishop WOR - 2 Weeks 

Players of the Week 

OFF: QB Jean Matieau OTT - 4 Passing Touchdowns, 328 Passing Yards 

DEF: DL William Sanderson IND - 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 Defensive Touchdown, 4 Tackles Standings

Standings

WEST
London 10-1 -x
Long Island 9-2 -x
Buffalo 3-7-1
Louisville 3-8
Indiana 1-10 

EAST
Ottawa 10-1 -y
Boston 8-3 -x
Providence 4-7
Worcester 3-7-1
Montreal 3-8 

Power Rankings
1 - London -
2 - Ottawa -
3 - Long Island +1
4 - Boston -1
5 - Louisville +1
6 - Providence +3
7 - Buffalo -2
8 - Montreal -1
9 - Worcester -1
10 - Indiana

Week 12 Games
IND (1-10) @ BOS (8-3) - SEP 12 - 3 PM ET
BUF (3-7-1) @ LOU (3-8) - SEP 12 - 7 PM ET - Saturday Night Football
*BUF clinches playoff spot with Win or Tie + WOR or PRO Loss
*LOU clinches playoff spot with Win + WOR Loss
OTT (10-1) @ PRO (4-7) - SEP 13 - 1 PM ET
*PRO clinches playoff spot with Win (Lose and they are eliminated)
MTL (3-8) @ WOR (3-7-1) - SEP 13 - 4 PM ET 
*WOR clinches playoff spot with Win
*WOR clinches crossover with Win + PRO Win
*MTL clinches playoff spot with Win + PRO Loss
LI (9-2) @ LDN (10-1) - SEP 13 - 7 PM ET - Season Finale on Sunday Night
*LI clinches West Division with Win by > 7 points
*LDN clinches West Division with Win or Loss of < or = 7 points

The final week of the season is going to be crazy, feel free to ask questions about the clinching possibilities if it is a bit confusing.

12/19/2020 6:12 pm  #1082

Wow, crazy is a bit of an understatement, no? I'm not sure how you calculated all of those possibilities. That's a headache to try and understand. All I know is I'm rooting for us and Montreal! If nothing else I'm rooting for the most chaos possible.

12/19/2020 8:53 pm  #1083

Wait a second.... Indiana WON a game?!  Good job, you won't go winless this year!

Side note, loving the Grand Canyon sized gap between the top 4 and everyone else, absolutely hilarious!  (especially since Long Island is one of the 4 good teams, lol!)

12/20/2020 1:30 am  #1084

Will the Royals be resting their starters for the game? If so that is will be good for my Gold Stars to hopefully sneak into the playoffs.

Last edited by Captain Mort 3D (12/20/2020 1:32 am)

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

12/20/2020 11:48 am  #1085

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Wow, crazy is a bit of an understatement, no? I'm not sure how you calculated all of those possibilities. That's a headache to try and understand. All I know is I'm rooting for us and Montreal! If nothing else I'm rooting for the most chaos possible.

I find figuring out all the possibilities very interesting, so I spent a good amount of time figuring it all out. The most bizarre one is for that West Division with LI needing to win by at least 8 (rather than just winning the game).

Stickman wrote:

Wait a second.... Indiana WON a game?!  Good job, you won't go winless this year!

Side note, loving the Grand Canyon sized gap between the top 4 and everyone else, absolutely hilarious!  (especially since Long Island is one of the 4 good teams, lol!)

This season is so out of left field with everything, and I mean some of the teams in the bottom are certainly not that bad, just can't do much against the 4 monsters in the league.

Captain Mort 3D wrote:

Will the Royals be resting their starters for the game? If so that is will be good for my Gold Stars to hopefully sneak into the playoffs.

The Royals will be resting most of their starters for their final game (which has somehow started to become a tradition for this team, with a lot of their season-ending positions being locked in by the final week of the season.)

12/20/2020 5:30 pm  #1086

1959 Week 12 

Boston Independents - 6, Indiana Victors - 14 - Richardson Stadium - September 12, 1959 - 3 PM ET - Weather: Heavy Rain
1st
2nd
0-7 IND - RTD RB Rodney Clark
3rd
3-7 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
3-14 IND - RTD QB Stanley Troyer
4th
6-14 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg 

The heavy rain seems to be Boston’s weakness as they could not gain any ground on the Victors. 
QB Terry Bourbon made his second start for the Independents, and once again Bourbon was not spectacular and Boston may be looking for a replacement in the backup position next to QB Bart Swayze who did enter the game in the final quarter.
Indiana’s Stanley Troyer continues his hot start and is making his case to be the Victors’ starter for next season for his 3rd win in 4 games started.
Overall, turnovers were pretty common in the showdown and a William Sanderson forced fumble put the Victors inside the 5, where Troyer would take the ball up the middle into the endzone. 

Louisville Thunder - 44, Buffalo Blue Wings - 11 - Thunder Stadium - September 12, 1959 - 7 PM ET - SNF - Weather: Windy
1st
3-0 LOU - FG K Theodore Provost
3-3 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
10-3 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Ben Roland
2nd
17-3 LOU - RTD RB Stavros Black
17-4 BUF - Single K Donald Brewer
24-4 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Marty Jay
3rd
24-11 BUF - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
31-11 LOU - KRTD WR Piers Key
4th
37-11 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Ben Roland
44-11 LOU - DTD INT DB Oliver Langstrom 

The Thunder came out to play against the Blue Wings and absolutely destroyed any hope the Buffalo had to return to the playoffs.
Dumont threw 3 touchdowns and both defence and special teams came through with big plays from rookies Oliver Langstrom and Piers Key.
Louisville now has an opportunity to clinch a playoff spot for the first time if the Athletics or Gold Stars fall on Sunday. 

Providence Gold Stars - 25, Ottawa Royals - 16 - New Providence Stadium - September 13, 1959 - 1 PM ET - Weather: Rain
1st
0-3 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette
7-3 PRO - DTD INT DB Lee Wolfe
2nd
7-6 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette
10-6 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
3rd
10-13 OTT - RTD RB Corey King
17-13 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
4th
17-16 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafeyette
23-16 PRO - RTD RB Bernard Alston
25-16 PRO - 2PT RB Tommy Kerr

The Gold Stars came away with a huge win to keep their season alive and clinching the final spot on the East Division playoffs and eliminating the Rouge from contention.
The Rain was a factor in the game for QB Brian Meadows who struggled a bit in the rain with a pick and a fumble. 
Providence took advantage and came away with their 5th home win of the season to close out their home record at 5-1. 
DB Lee Wolfe managed to get a pick-6 in what might be his final game at New Providence Stadium.

Worcester Athletics - 14, Montreal Rouge - 23 - Worcester Stadium - September 13, 1959 - 4 PM ET - Weather: Light Rain
1st
0-3 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
1-3 WOR - Single K Elvis Franklin
2nd
1-6 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
2-6 WOR - Single K Elvis Franklin
2-13 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
3rd
8-13 WOR - DTD FUM LB Harrison Bennett
8-16 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
14-16 WOR - RTD RB Marcus Devonshire
4th
14-23 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White 

The Athletics’ offence was shut down by the Rouge for the most part with the only strong drive coming behind RB Marcus Devonshire late in the 3rd quarter.
Montreal controlled the game with Mallard-White on the ground and keeping possession.
The defence also came through with a huge turnover in the 4th which put the game out of reach with LB Sebastian Andrews III punching the ball out of WR Zachariah Pembroke’s grasp to force a fumble. 

London Tigers - 24, Long Island Raiders - 33 - Western Fair Stadium - September 13, 1959 - 7 PM ET - Season Finale - Weather: Windy
1st
7-0 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
7-7 LI - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Darryl Duke
2nd
14-7 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
14-14 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
14-17 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
3rd
17-17 LDN - FG K Nathaniel King
17-24 LI - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Robert Lang
18-24 LDN - Single K Nathaniel King
4th
18-30 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
24-30 LDN PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
24-33 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher 

The West Division title came down to the final few drives in the season finale, which ended up having a very unusual ending. The teams would go back and forth in the first half and early in the second half, but the first mistake was made by the Tigers. With wind becoming a bigger factor K Nathaniel King would miss a field goal for a single which put the Tigers at a major disadvantage heading into the final quarter. Long Island would score a touchdown early on in the 4th to extend their lead to 12 but would fail to get the 2-point try to add a bit of an extra buffer. For context, Long Island has to beat London by more than 7 points to win the division. London would eventually come back and run down a lot of the clock, and then they would get to the endzone with WR Max Sutton. The Tigers would go for two to cut the lead to only 4 which would prevent the Raiders from winning the division on only a field goal; however, the Raiders would stop the Tigers and keep it to a 6 point game. Despite the game being a 6-point game, the Tigers only needed to prevent the Raiders from scoring more in order to seal the West Division. QB Lyle Painter would lead the Raiders down the field just getting into Tigers’ territory and setting up a long 47-yard try to win the division. K Henderson Schumacher would just barely make the long kick in order to win Long Island the West Division for the second season in a row.  

Injury Report
TE Johann Traeger BUF - 2 Weeks
WR Nathan Green IND - Day-to-Day
DB Kenneth Wade IND - 3 Weeks
WR Benedict Spencer LDN - 2 Weeks
TE Christopher Gist LOU - Day-to-Day
LB Elijah Goldwater LI - Day-to-Day
OL Moses Griffin LI - 1 Week
RB Iyannough Moreland OTT - 5 Weeks
DL Charles Hoover OTT - Day-to-Day
OL Milo O’Hara PRO - 5 Weeks
OL Forrest Cross WOR - 3 Weeks 

Players of the Week 

OFF: QB Leonidas Dumont LOU - 3 Passing Touchdowns, 312 Passing Yards 

DEF: DB Lee Wolfe PRO - 1 Interception, 1 Defensive Touchdown, 3 Plays Defended, 5 Tackles 

Standings
WEST
Long Island 10-2 -y
London 10-2 -x
Louisville 4-8 -x
Buffalo 3-8-1
Indiana 2-10 

EAST
Ottawa 10-2 -y
Boston 8-4 -x
Providence 5-7
Montreal 4-8
Worcester 3-8-1

Power Rankings
1 - Ottawa +1
2 - Long Island +1
3 - London -2
4 - Louisville +1
5 - Boston -1
6 - Providence -
7 - Montreal +1
8 - Buffalo -1
9 - Worcester -
10 - Indiana -

Final Standings and Playoff Bracket

Division Semi-Finals Preview 

East Division Semi-Final
Boston Independents VS. Providence Gold Stars - Richardson Stadium - September 20, 1959 - 1 PM ET - Forecast: Clear
Head-to-Head: W6 - BOS 36-33 PRO, W11 - PRO 29-17 BOS
The 6th playoff meeting between Boston and Providence will kick off the 1959 playoffs. Coming into the game, Providence seems like the hot team. They beat both the Independents and Royals to close out the season, however, the big concern is the team has struggled on the road all year going 0-6 on the road. Boston on the other hand has been consistently good throughout including a 5-game win streak, but with WR Ellis Lindholm going down, there may be some major adjustments the team will have to make going into this game. Boston will likely want to flex their defence and slow down the Gold Star offence, while the goal for the Gold Stars will be trying to outscore the Independents, could be a fairly offensive game, but I think Boston will sneak away from this one.
My Pick: Boston 

West Division Semi-Final
London Tigers VS. Louisville Thunder - Western Fair Stadium - September 20, 1959 - 4 PM ET - Forecast: Clear
Head-to-Head: W5 - LDN 35-32 LOU, W11 - LOU 26-30 LDN
Despite having 6 wins between the two teams, this game is likely a lot closer than most may think. In both matchups this season, the Thunder were able to get themselves in position to win the game before the Tigers would score late to take it. Both offences have been super good this season with the Tigers having the top offence and Louisville with the 4th best. It should be an offensive battle that may come down to a late score once again, that I believe would come from QB Riley Kiernan and the Tigers.
My Pick: London 

12/20/2020 5:42 pm  #1087

If you had told me after such a slow start, we'd clinch the playoffs with a 4-8 record, I'd call you crazy. But I'll take it! Dumont better keep up the great play that's he's finally coming around to doing.

This will be really interesting, my former team and my current team. I think it's honestly a win win. I'll be happy if London can finally win something, and of course I'd be happy if we can too.

12/21/2020 6:01 am  #1088

Tigers better beat the Thunder, I mean they're 4-8 for crying out loud.

Owner of the Texas Jackalopes 
2008-2009 AltBA Champions

12/21/2020 11:28 am  #1089

Enigmajones wrote:

Tigers better beat the Thunder, I mean they're 4-8 for crying out loud.

I mean I will say of all the bottom dwellers, the Thunder are probably the best team, realistically if the games they lost by 4 or less went the other way, the Thunder probably would've finished 9-3 and top the division.

12/21/2020 12:00 pm  #1090

I feel like Louisville's had RB Stavros Black punch a TD in every week, quietly being a consistent runner.

I like Providence's chances against Boston. Boston is backing into the playoffs on a couple consecutive losses. A little rain in Boston is all the Gold Stars need.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera