Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2020 11:46 am  #231

Re: The AltHL - Group C Voting & Owner Application!

Overall I think we did pretty well.  It is tough to distinguish the NHL names from the history and tradition that is behind them.  

Bruins v. Rovers - Rovers just oozes tradition...love it.
Canadiens v. Chevaliers - I think if the Chevs had won 24 stanley cups we would love the Chevaliers.  
Flyers v. Founders - As a Flyers fan I like the name but think it lacks a certain connection to the city.  I like how the Founders has that connection.  
Rangers/Isles v. Gargoyles - I like the name Islanders cause it represents the people of Long Island.  The Rangers doesn't make sense since they are named after the Texas Rangers because of Tex Rickard the fight promoter.  Gargoyles is cool but I think it may be too cool if that makes sense.  I give it a push.
Blackhawks v. Ghosts - even though I suggested Ghosts, you can't mess with the Blackhawks.
Wild v. Loons - not a question
Maple Leafs v. Terriers - Terriers is a traditional sounding name which I like but the Leafs get the advantage because of well Canada.  
Avalanche v. Bighorns - Avalanche is one of my favorite names in sports.  That may be an unpopular opinion because of it being a singular name.  I typically do not like non-'S' names.  But it fits perfectly with Colorado and is unique.  
Flames v. Wranglers - Flames was a name for Atlanta.  Wranglers is Calgary.
Canucks v. Glaciers - It's a push.
Sharks v. Dragons - I like Dragons a lot, but Dragons can fit in a lot of places.  The San Jose Sharks gets points for being geographically relevant and alliteration.
Kings v. Titans - Titans just fits with LA. 

Overall 6-4-2.  Not bad at all.  But I agree with Dr. Pepper.  The ones where we won I think we won by a lot, and when we lost it was much closer.

3/04/2020 2:18 pm  #232

I hope I am not too late

Bruins v. Rovers - Rovers could be a hockey companion to the NBA Celtics.

Canadiens v. Chevaliers - Push.

Flyers v. Founders - Say what you will about the Flyer organization, their nickname goes well with the City name,

Rangers/Islanders v. Gargoyles - Tex Rickard pretty much named the Rangers as a play on words ("Tex's Rangers"). Gargoyles works better in New York. Should've been the name of the city's XFL team.

Blackhawks v. Ghosts - Push.

Wild v. Loons - Loons would've been perfect if Anaheim's team didn't already have a duck mascot. That or Minnesota Mallards.

Maple Leafs v. Terriers - Push.

Avalanche v. Bighorns - Push.

Flames v. Wranglers - I agree, Gritty. If Atlanta kept the Flames and Calgary got an expansion team, then they'd be the Wranglers.

Canucks v. Glaciers - Canucks for sure.

Sharks v. Dragons - Sharks works well because of the Red Triangle off the coast of the SF Peninsula. Those that remember my Driveball series may recall I used Dragons for the Bay Area.

Kings v. Titans - Push.

3/05/2020 10:00 pm  #233

BREAKING NEWS!

We officially have our final four teams.  Only two will join the AltHL for its inaugural season.  I won't do a fancy introduction until we have officially selected the two teams.  For now I will give you the break down for the final four.

The Milwaukee Muskies
Fear the Fish! A lot of submissions dealt with the brewing industry or the german heritage of the state.  However it was the state's passion for fishing that won out.  Muskies led the way with 77 points.  They were followed by Hops with 75 and Zeppelins 73.  Muskies was nominated by who else?...Section30

The Winnipeg Arrows
According to the ratings, the voting community felt that the Winnipeg submissions were the strongest.  The Arrows won with 82 points.  Followed by Foxes with 79, Black Bears with 78.  The Arrows were nominated by Darknes.  

The Houston Apollos
The Apollos made a late push to win it in Houston.  They won with 70 points and they edged out the Supernoves at 67.  The Apollos were nominated by SportsFan7

The Charlotte Racers
Charlotte was the biggest battle.  It was back and forth the entire way.  The Racers pulled away at the end.  They won with 76 points.  They were followed by Firebirds 72 and Corsairs 70.  The Racers was nominated by FC Macbeth.

You have until Saturday morning to vote.  At that point we will reveal our final two teams.  

The 17th and 18th AltHL franchise poll:
https://forms.gle/vJ6PpkKCMb4zmyhT8

As for the logo round.  I appreciate all of the submissions so far.  We are opening the submissions for Groups C and D.  That means that all teams are open for submissions.  I have now made logos for every team.  You are free to submit a logo for any team that you wish.  Teams with multiple submissions will be put into a poll for us to vote on.  We are updating our timeline.  All submissions for logos should be completed by next WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11. We will then vote on the logos at the end of the week and the following week we will unveil the logos and begin the jersey round.  We are quickly approaching the Owner Draft.  I am interested to see which team is selected first over all.  

Last edited by Gritty (3/07/2020 11:38 am)

3/05/2020 10:09 pm  #234

Gritty wrote:

We are quickly approaching the Owner Draft.  I am interested to see which team is selected first over all.  

How will selection order be determined? Random?

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/05/2020 10:12 pm  #235

I'm the one coming up with the name 'Racers' so give credit to where credit is due.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

3/05/2020 10:19 pm  #236

FC Macbeth wrote:

I'm the one coming up with the name 'Racers' so give credit to where credit is due.

There you go. Updated.

3/05/2020 10:21 pm  #237

Steelman wrote:

Gritty wrote:

We are quickly approaching the Owner Draft.  I am interested to see which team is selected first over all.  

How will selection order be determined? Random?

I've been thinking about that.  How I have done it for my regular fantasy leagues with friends we determined the order by a random lottery.  I was planning on filming it to ensure transparency.  

3/05/2020 10:25 pm  #238

Darn, my Hops missed out by two points. Nonetheless I’m happy with how the league has gone so far. Will you message the potential owners or when will we hear about that?

3/05/2020 10:29 pm  #239

WithaCapitalG wrote:

Darn, my Hops missed out by two points. Nonetheless I’m happy with how the league has gone so far. Will you message the potential owners or when will we hear about that?

During the application process we received 18 applications so we are going to go with 18 people for the first season.  Found it silly to cut just two people.  That is why we are adding the second two teams.  So that means that you are one of them! I'll have more information about the Owner Draft come out soon.

3/05/2020 11:16 pm  #240

Two of my names came in third (Black Bears and Corsairs)...I think I'm improving at this.

I don't know if we're allowed to comment on who we'll be voting for or not...but I have two very clear choices that pop out.

Board footera