Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2020 11:39 pm  #111

Re: The AltHL - Group C Voting & Owner Application!

San Francisco Moguls - the Silicon Valley is home to a huge collection of tech billionaires and start up venture capitalists. If a new team was being founded, chances are one of them would fund it.

Philadelphia Ringers - different take on the direct tie to the famous Liberty Bell. Could also play a little history with original name being Bellringers and used as an historical nickname.

Twin Cities Lakers - this one is pretty straightforward but I didn't see it suggested yet. Alternately could use Minnesota locator but it'd be cool to use the city nickname.

Toronto Skyscrapers - this one is really on the nose, but with a nickname of "Scrapers" it could work. 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/11/2020 2:14 pm  #112

Whew! Almost missed the boat. I've wanted to do something like this, but never got the chance. I'm in!
Oakland Containers - The Bay Area is a shipping center and a play on the Raiders, I guess.
Philadelphia Cheesesteaks - #justhoagiethings
Twin Cities Twisters - Though the cities have never been struck by a tornado themselves, many cities in southern Minnesota and the rest of the north half of Tornado Alley, which I guess they represent, have been. One of these was the city of St. Peter, which was devastated by a tornado in 1998 and would have been the state capital if one plucky legislator hadn't stolen the bill so the governor couldn't sign it...
Ontario Loons - Would also work for MN, but Ontario's official bird is the common loon.

2/13/2020 7:49 am  #113

Philadelphia Dawgs:  This can have two meanings.  As Philly is the city of Brotherly Love, I thought this nickname friends sometimes give each other could be fun.  Plus, it can be used as a dog theme too, preferably something tough like a bulldog, rottweiler, or dobermen, to fit Philly's tough reputation.

San Francisco Miners:  I know it's close to the 49ers, but the gold mining theme was all I had left after most of the best names were taken.  It's still a solid theme to San-Fran's history though.

Minnesota Owls: It was either going to be this or Hawks, and I thought Owls would be a bit more unique.  This would have the Great Horned Owl in mind, which has been nicknamed "The Tiger with Wings" by some.

Toronto Boars: One of Toronto's nicknames is "Hog City", and I wanted to use more animal nicknames anyway, (seeing as a significant amount of teams in real life do so).  Boars have those tusks and just look like a tough/mean animal, so I thought it'd be a great hockey team theme!

2/13/2020 3:40 pm  #114

Minnesota Loons or Mallards?

2/13/2020 10:16 pm  #115

Tomorrow voting closes for the GROUP A team names and nominations close for Group B.  Tune in Saturday for the names of the first four AltHL teams! 

2/15/2020 11:28 am  #116

I am excited to introduce to you all the first four AltHL teams.  In the coming weeks these teams will be given logos, uniforms, arenas, coaches, rosters, and much more.  But for the first time we have team names! Voting for Group B will start on Sunday and Groups C & D will be begin on Monday.  For the first round of voting we saw an increased participation from Round 2.  The AltHL is gaining momentum! I apologize for the weirdo spacing below.  

As you read the introductions you have to read them in your best XFL Intro voice.  If you don't know what I mean see here. XFL Team Introductions
The Boston Rovers are officially the first AltHL franchise.  The name was submitted by Section30.  The name "Rovers" was an overwhelming winner with 96 points or an average vote of 3.84.  Rovers were followed by Shamrocks (85), and Nightriders (82).  
In the East, the Rovers will be joined by the Montreal Chevaliers.  The Chevs were suggested by me Gritty as well as a few others.  The Chevaliers scored an 88 with a 3.667 average.  They won over the Musketeers (78) and Dragons (75).  
We begin in the west with the Calgary Wranglers.  Calgary was by far the closest vote.  The name Wranglers was submitted by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth.  The Wranglers scored a total of 84 points.  They were closely followed by the Colts (81) and Big Horns (80).  The overwhelming sense was that we wanted a western motif for Calgary.  With the Wranglers we definitely accomplished that goal.  
Finally we have the Olympians! They were the team name that received the most votes of any team from any city in Group A.  They were also the final nomination.  They were nominated by TheHealthiestScratch.  They received 97 points.  They were closely followed by the Titans (90) and Meteors (83).  

2/15/2020 11:51 am  #117

I don't want to take anything away from the vote here, but I would like to point out that I submitted a concept for the Los Angeles Olympians for my league, the NAAB, on the 6th, two days before TheHealthiestScratch submitted their idea. It's not "Olympians of Los Angeles" for me, but the nickname is the exact same, and I'd like to respect the ground rule that all names be unique. Again, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just want to protect my own concept and ideas as well as protect the rules laid out. I'm not accusing TheHealthiestScratch of stealing either, but I would like to just point out that I did use the name first on this site, to my knowledge.

2/15/2020 12:09 pm  #118

QCS, 

When TheHealthiestScratch nominated the Olympians as a name he did reference that there was another name that was similar.  He then changed the submission to Titans.  I didn't know that it was from a team on these boards and put both names on there.  With that said we can go with his submission of Titans.  So instead the team will be the LOS ANGELES TITANS.  Sorry for the mix up. 

2/15/2020 4:47 pm  #119

These are all names I can get behind. The wisdom of the crowd has prevailed.

2/15/2020 5:38 pm  #120

Gritty wrote:

QCS, 

When TheHealthiestScratch nominated the Olympians as a name he did reference that there was another name that was similar.  He then changed the submission to Titans.  I didn't know that it was from a team on these boards and put both names on there.  With that said we can go with his submission of Titans.  So instead the team will be the LOS ANGELES TITANS.  Sorry for the mix up. 

Alright, thank you. I'm not accusing THS of stealing at all, I just assume they either hadn't seen my concept or saw it and forgot it was from here.

Board footera