Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2020 8:30 pm  #51

Re: The North American Association of Baseball!

Alright, I'm going to close the polls and declare some winners here! The first city to be granted an NAAB expansion franchise is...

St. Louis!
With 14 points, St. Louis easily won the expansion poll. They will begin play in 2006, and will play under the name Archers. The stadium deal will go through and is likely to keep the Rams in town for a while, along with the brand-new Archers.

Joining them in 2006 is...

Cleveland!
Cleveland tied for second with 10 points, but will start ahead of the other second-place city to balance out the divisions. They will play as the Astronauts and look to bring championships to a city that hasn't had one in decades.

Also tied for second, to begin in 2007...

Dallas! 
Texas will get a second team when the Blazers begin play in 2007. Ownership decided to go with the city of Dallas' plan and intend to provide a winning team to DFW as soon as possible!

Also joining in 2007...

Seattle!
The Emerald City will get its chance with baseball! It's looking more and more likely that a stadium will be built in time for the 2007 season thanks to behind-the-scenes discussions between ownership and the city, so be on the lookout for Seattle come 2007. Ownership has yet to decide on a name, however. They've brought it down to three contenders: EmeraldsCascades, and Blues. (If you have any other suggestions, go ahead. I've always struggled with Seattle, to be honest.)

In fifth place was Charlotte, followed by Phoenix and Miami tied at sixth, Denver at eighth, Kansas City at ninth, and Nashville at tenth with no votes.

In regards to league realignment, here's how it will go: in 2006, Cleveland will be added to the East Division and St. Louis will be added to the West. In 2007, the league will split into two subleagues: the Eastern League and the Western League. Cleveland will join the EL, while St. Louis, Dallas, and Seattle will join the WL, pushing Chicago to the East.

As for the cities that weren't able to get an expansion team, Commissioner Rose has promised that future expansion will take place. He said "One day, we'd like to get the NAAB up to 40 teams! *laughs*" Nobody is quite sure how serious he is, but one thing is for sure: the NAAB is grower faster than anyone could've imagined.

3/04/2020 8:58 pm  #52

The 2005 season of the NAAB has come to a close, and with expansion on the horizon, it’s the last chance for teams to make their mark before the “Original Eight” era comes to a close.  

Once again, it was the year of the Golden Sun. California won a record 80 games looking to repeat as champs, and no other team could even come close to their level of dominance. The Olympians returned to the playoffs after missing out last year, but 15 games behind the Suns makes it seem more than unlikely that they are able to claim a championship. Houston took the second wildcard spot, only a game above .500, while the Lakers and Busters finished one game under .500 to just miss out on the playoffs.  

The Jets take their first East Division crown, 4 games up on the Busters. The Knights finished another disappointing year with 72 losses, leaving fans questioning if their first championship was a fluke. The Monuments, the only team yet to make the playoffs, continue that streak, finishing with a league-worst 75 losses and only 45 wins, looking for some answers as to why they’re the league’s laughingstock. 

As California heads into their first title defense, the Jets, Busters, and Storm all look for ways to take down the champs and shock the baseball world.

Last edited by QCS (3/04/2020 9:00 pm)

3/04/2020 11:43 pm  #53

I'd like to maybe pitch in Sasquatch for Seattle?

3/08/2020 3:32 pm  #54

2005 Playoffs:
THEY'VE DONE IT! The Houston Storm were able to take out the Golden Suns in five games. After the best regular season in league history, California was upset in the first round! In the other series, LA was only able to take one game in their return to the playoffs. Atlanta easily won the series and prepared to face Houston, a team they hadn't even bothered preparing for since they were so sure California would win. It didn't matter, since they won in 6 to bring the NAAB Championship Trophy to Atlanta as the last team to win before expansion.
Congratulations to the Atlanta Jets!

3/14/2020 12:52 pm  #55

Alright, I'm back with the next team. Sorry for the little hiatus, I was having trouble completing concepts and working on the AltHL. Anyway, without further ado, from the City on the Lake...

The Cleveland Astronauts!

The Astronauts were focused on creating a unique and timeless brand to compete with the Browns and Cavaliers for the Cleveland sports market. What they came up with was somewhat of a "fauxback" brand, complete with cream and cursive script. The logo portrays the Cleveland skyline with a bright full moon in the background, representing Ohio's deep history with astronauts and the moon landings. 

The jerseys utilize all three of the Astronauts' colors, with a unique cream home jersey with a beautiful script and a crater-colored away. The alt is navy blue with the "Astronauts" script in cream. The cap is navy with the moon brightly displayed on it. With this classic and timeless identity, the 'Nauts hope to prove themselves as champions in a city desperate for one.

I really like this brand. I tried to avoid using white so that the cream could really shine and I think that it paired with the navy works really well. I initially struggled to come up with a secondary logo for the cap until I realized I could just use the moon from the logo, which works really well.

C&C Welcome!

Last edited by QCS (3/14/2020 12:56 pm)

3/14/2020 2:05 pm  #56

I've got two teams for you today, as the Archers unveil their identity. From the Gateway to the West, here come...

The St. Louis Archers!
While the Astronauts brought a timeless, retro-inspired set to the league, the Archers went in the exact opposite. Bringing a modern touch, the color scheme takes black and white as combines it with the beautiful metal sheen of the world-famous Gateway Arch. The logo combines the arch with an arrow to form an "A" for Archers, with the arrow forming the crossbar and middle prong of the "H" and "E" in the wordmark. The jerseys are probably the most out-there in the league, with the arrow from the logo serving as the shoulder stripe. The away jersey's color matches the gray of the logo to make sure that not only is the city represented in the wordmark, but also in the very fabric of the team.

Man, that may be the most Nikespeak thing I've ever written. This team was literally put together in the last couple hours, as I had the logos ready, but needed some inspiration for the jerseys. I originally was going to wrap the arrow around the sleeves, but thought they would be better served as some ridiculous yoke of some sort. Despite how strange the jerseys are, I honestly think that they're perfect for this team and I honestly don't see them changing much over time.

C&C Welcome!

The 2006 season should be up soon.

3/14/2020 2:23 pm  #57

These look great! If I could make one change it would be to have the arrow pointing up so the arch resembles a bow.

3/14/2020 11:40 pm  #58

I really like Cleveland's color scheme. The Alt should be the away jersey though, and I'd flip the numbers to the dark color on the tan one and come up with some other distinguishing feature, such as unique striping, image overlay, or something to make it stand out compared to the home set. I would also consider adding an Alt cap with just a C on it.

The arrow sleeve striping for St. Louis is super unique and cool. Nice looking identity all around for them.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/15/2020 4:31 pm  #59

Steelman wrote:

I really like Cleveland's color scheme. The Alt should be the away jersey though, and I'd flip the numbers to the dark color on the tan one and come up with some other distinguishing feature, such as unique striping, image overlay, or something to make it stand out compared to the home set. I would also consider adding an Alt cap with just a C on it.

The arrow sleeve striping for St. Louis is super unique and cool. Nice looking identity all around for them.

How about this?

sportsfan7 wrote:

These look great! If I could make one change it would be to have the arrow pointing ip so the arch resembles a bow.

I didn't do that so that the arch + the arrow makes an "A".

Thanks for the feedback!

3/15/2020 5:28 pm  #60

I like the Cleveland brand, the colours are a nice combo.
A thought I had maybe was what if you used a crescent moon as a C?
Could be future or alternate but that would be a cool way to tie that together.

St. Louis is great too, I don't mind a little wacky so I love it.

Board footera