Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2020 8:54 pm  #31

Re: The North American Association of Baseball!

The first season of the NAAB has wrapped up, and there was plenty of action to go around! Here are the standings: 

Philadelphia dominated the league, as expected. They exceeded preseason expectations by 5 wins, being the only team to reach 70 wins and clinching home-field advantage for the first-ever NAAB playoffs. Their star slugger, 1B Joel Jefferson, won the batting title, hitting .333 in 94 games with 123 hits, 20 home runs, 77 RBIs, and 63 runs. In second in the East was the New York Busters, 3 games behind the Knights, claiming the first wild card. They were led by Adam Chisham and Kirk Reed, forming a formidable hitting and pitching duo. In third place were the Jets, struggling for most of the season before getting hot at the last second and snatching the second wild card slot from California. Washington had a decent first season, but they were clearly outmatched by the competition in the East. 

Meanwhile in the West, the Golden Suns seemed to be the clear favorites but blew it by going 11-16 in June (including a 20-0 battering at the hands of the Knights) and 11-14 in July to give away the division. It was still a good season for them, but the general feeling in San Jose is disappointment for how the season went. Los Angeles was the benefactor of California’s collapse, led by P Earl Collins, who took the pitching Triple Crown with 15 wins, a 2.25 ERA, and 179 Ks. However, the Olympians still have quite a mountain to climb and look like the weakest team heading into the postseason. Chicago, like Washington, had a decent season, but was really nothing special. Houston, however, had a season to forget. 75 losses would give any team reason to be down, but nothing seemed to be going right in H-Town. They’ll be hoping for something better in 2004. 

The postseason seems to be Philadelphia’s to lose, but strong challengers in New York and Atlanta look to knock them out.

2/16/2020 8:58 pm  #32

Steelman wrote:

Every change is a significant upgrade, well done to take critiques and turn them into improved concepts. The Lakers with the L is fantastic, way to turn it into a secondary logo by itself as well. LA looks very nice now, much better! The Jets feel much more cohesive now as well. I like the color switch for the Busters, it feels much more like an original team now. That steel-blue gray is very nice. While I'm still not sold on the lettering on the new league logo, it looks much better and I really like the swoopy stitches thing you've got there.

All around nice work!

Wallflower wrote:

Like the new league logo and Chicago is by far my favourite look of all the teams here! Go Lakers!

Thank you! I agree Steel, each team does look a ton better. Your feedback in particular was super helpful in finding where each team should go. I'm really happy with particularly the Lakers and Olympians, and the Busters look much better in the new blue and orange. The story should really start to take off from here, so get ready!

Also, I'd be willing to make some sigs for the teams if you guys are interested. I'll probably make some after the first season is all done. 

C&C Welcome!

2/20/2020 3:57 pm  #33

2003 NAAB PLAYOFFS:
The first ever NAAB playoffs were grueling, with each series going the distance. In the first game of the Philadelphia-Atlanta series, the Jets pulled off a huge 4-3 victory in Philly. However, the Knights came to their senses and took the next two games, with only one win left. The Jets were able to stretch the series to a fifth game, but the Knights were able to close it out at home with a 5-2 win. The other series was also quite interesting: the Busters were able to take the first two games in LA, but lost both home games and the final game in Los Angeles to choke the series away. 

In the National Championship Series, both teams were able to take their home games, but it was the Knights' home-field advantage that gave them the edge. Congratulations to the Philadelphia Knights for being the first ever winner of the North American Association of Baseball!

2/20/2020 4:39 pm  #34

Congrats to the Knights!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/21/2020 2:54 pm  #35

2003 Offseason:

The first season of the NAAB was a huge success, with each team reaching attendance and revenue goals. With all this wild success, many teams began capitalizing on it with new sponsorship deals for their stadiums and other items. New names include: Atlanta's Delta Field, Houston's Exxon-Mobil Field, and New York's Roosevelt Field at Verizon Park. There were even talks of potential expansion to come in the near future, with several cities speculated by fans to include Cleveland, Charlotte, Dallas, Miami, Seattle, Phoenix, and Denver. Commissioner Rose stated that the league was committed to making all eight original teams as stable as possible before expanding, but he also made it clear that expansion will occur eventually.

Preseason predictions have the Chicago Lakers as the team to beat with the Los Angeles Olympians right on their heels. The reigning champion Knights, on the other hand, are predicted to fall hard, not even making it to .500. Either way, the second season of the NAAB should bring plenty of excitement!

2/22/2020 11:20 pm  #36

That's a unique playoff system

Edit: Nevermind, I though is was a gauntlet setup

Last edited by ZO82 (2/22/2020 11:22 pm)

2/23/2020 10:10 am  #37

The 2004 NAAB regular season has wrapped up and here are the standings: The name of the game this year was the California Golden Suns. They won a record 78 games off the back of the deadliest duo the league had seen: 1B David Lopez and 2B Mario Arreola, called “Flounder” by fans. Their lethal pitching staff was led by SP Brian Breed, and if you made it past him, the best reliever in baseball, RP Aaron Rolston was on your tail. Elsewhere in the West, the Los Angeles Olympians had a disappointing season, with only 46 wins after reaching the championship game a year before. The Storm missed out on a playoff spot by 2 games, leaving the Chicago Lakers with the second wild card slot. However, the Lakers didn’t even have a winning record, leading commissioner Rose to reportedly shout “Why on Earth is there a team with a losing record in the Playoffs?” to his staff. Rumors are floating around that playoff changes may be occurring. 

Meanwhile, in the East, things were much closer. The New York Busters won the division by one game over the Atlanta Jets, but both qualified for the playoffs. The Monuments were only 1 game behind the Lakers and the Knights 2, but there’s definitely disappointment in Philly after fans were hoping to repeat titles.

2/23/2020 7:27 pm  #38

That's a precipitous drop for Philly. That's gotta be tough on their confidence. I can understand Rose's frustration but it's still early days with only eight teams that are still closely-matched. I imagine some expansion will help drive win totals for better teams.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/23/2020 8:13 pm  #39

Steelman wrote:

That's a precipitous drop for Philly. That's gotta be tough on their confidence. I can understand Rose's frustration but it's still early days with only eight teams that are still closely-matched. I imagine some expansion will help drive win totals for better teams.

Yeah, the fans were not happy with the team's performance this year. While it seems normal to us, Rose is actually pretty upset with how Chicago snuck into the playoffs. He'll be looking for almost any way to eliminate that possibility, outside of shrinking the playoffs.

2/23/2020 9:22 pm  #40

2004 Playoffs:

The Playoffs began with everyone predicting the Golden Suns to basically sweep through the whole thing, and they were somewhat vindicated by the outclassed Lakers getting swept, with California punctuating the series with a 10-2 win in Chicago to close it. The Atlanta-New York series was much more interesting, with the series going to 5 and each team taking their home games. The Jets won a 1-0 pitcher's dual in Game 4 to stay alive, but couldn't take it in New York to pull off the upset.

With plenty of rest heading to the National Championship Series, the Suns were so cocky the team had secretly begun planning the championship parade through San Jose. Game 1 was an easy 6-3 victory for California, but things turned sour when the Busters stole Game 2 in San Jose, 9-3, to take home-field advantage. They then won the next two games to take a 3-1 series lead. However, in Game 5, the Suns finally showed some life and took home-field back, fighting to stay alive and claim their first banner. They were able to dispatch the Busters at home in Games 6 and 7 to clinch the championship and bring home the first ever professional baseball title in California.

Congratulations to the California Golden Suns, winner of the 2004 NAAB Championship Trophy!

(Not some piece of metal, huh?)

Board footera