Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2020 9:32 pm  #21

Re: The North American Association of Baseball!

Ok, I'm back, yet again! I have the second to last team before the updates (and there will be a lot of those, trust me!). 

Anyway, representing the Big Apple... the New York Busters!

So a little bit of an explanation is required here. The Busters are named after one of New York's favorite sons, Theodore Roosevelt, or "The Trust-Buster". Shorten that to just "Busters" and you have a great historical nickname for a team that's just been formed. The logo is a simple N in front of a Y in the font the team uses. The color scheme is the classic New York blue and orange with some tasteful black thrown in (hey, it is the early 2000s, right?). The wordmark features a drop shadow and varying colors. The home and away are simple color variations on each other, with the home reading "Busters" and the road reading "New York". The alts are a little.... out there. The second alt isn't so bad, with a blue jersey, orange script with black drop shadow, and a black and orange collar, but the first alt is much different. Black jersey, emphasis on orange, and an alternate cap completely removing blue, outside of the logo. So, what do you think?

This one is very 2000s to me, but in a good way. I can assure you the black jersey will be on its way out eventually, but I like the design for now and will keep it as it is, except for minor changes. Thanks for your patience, and I hope to get the last team out soon. They hail from the City of Angels and I have a name, just not a complete set yet.

C&C Welcome!

2/04/2020 10:08 pm  #22

I love the name! I'm having a hard time not just seeing "Mets" on everything about it though. I'm wondering if you split the difference on Yankee and Met blue and lightened up the orange, how that might feel? I think if you can change up something just enough to differentiate from the Mets, it's a great set. Definitely nailed the 2000's vibes on it. 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/05/2020 9:55 am  #23

I second the Mets comparisons. I like the look and name, but I want it to feel different than existing teams so I can immerse myself in the world lore.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

2/05/2020 8:45 pm  #24

Steelman wrote:

I love the name! I'm having a hard time not just seeing "Mets" on everything about it though. I'm wondering if you split the difference on Yankee and Met blue and lightened up the orange, how that might feel? I think if you can change up something just enough to differentiate from the Mets, it's a great set. Definitely nailed the 2000's vibes on it. 

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I second the Mets comparisons. I like the look and name, but I want it to feel different than existing teams so I can immerse myself in the world lore.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll change up the color scheme here. Any baseball team using blue and orange will draw comparisons to the Mets, so it was a little inevitable, but it does look a lot like them (I even thought about using pinstripes). After LA, this will be one of the teams that receives an update.

2/06/2020 10:10 pm  #25

It's finally time! I have a double post for you lovely people as I finally finish all eight staring teams! We'll start in the Liberty City for the final team from the East.

Introducing... the Philadelphia Knights!

The Knights are named for the famous (or infamous, if you prefer) Knights of Labor, founded in Philly. The logo takes cues from the Knights of Labor's logo, with the same star background and circular foreground, but it's much simpler. The black and orange color scheme comes from owner Comcast Spetacor's other team, the Philadelphia Flyers (but with the old orange). The uniforms take cues from the logo with a triangle theme. Yes, they are supposed to be there! With unique striping and an underline beneath the road, the Knights aim to look fresh while mashing dingers!

I feel like this one is pretty different, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad. The Knights were the team I had the most trouble with (plus I kinda forgot about them in the Busters post. Oh well!). I'd really like some comments on this one, so don't hold back!

And the final team, from the beautiful City of Angels.... the Los Angeles Olympians!
Named after the city's tradition of hosting Olympic Games (but don't tell the IOC that!), the Olympians feature two greens, Wreath Green and Bevel Green, and Gold Medal. The logo features a beveled "LA" above a wreath, outlined in gold to reference both the classic olive wreaths of Ancient Greece and the gold medals of today. The jerseys feature the "LA" monogram and either gold or green striping, with a mostly green cap with a gold brim. The alts are simple color swaps of the home and road, with special alternate caps as well. The green alternate is Bevel Green, simply because I felt the LA didn't separate well enough from Wreath Green to be on a jersey.

So, what do you think? I'll be making updates to the following teams after this one: the league logo, the Jets, the Busters, and the Lakers, as well as maybe the Knights or Olympians if an update is needed. After that, though, the story can finally begin! I can't wait, and I hope you all follow along!

C&C Welcome!

Last edited by QCS (2/16/2020 4:02 pm)

2/08/2020 1:50 am  #26

The only thing I don't like about the Knights is the G in the word mark. I kept thinking it was "Knicts", maybe you could better define the G there. The triangle sleeves are a little odd but they fit the team so I think it works. I think the alt jersey seems some piping though.

While I really like the color scheme, the general logo and layout, I'm a little neutral on the bevels. I'd really be curious to see a flat version. Regardless, I don't think the logo works on green at all. I think you've got to switch either the cap color or the logo color on the cap. Same with the first alt jersey. The two greens don't offer enough contrast. A few tweaks and I think this can be a solid identity.

2/09/2020 4:02 pm  #27

Steelman wrote:

The only thing I don't like about the Knights is the G in the word mark. I kept thinking it was "Knicts", maybe you could better define the G there. The triangle sleeves are a little odd but they fit the team so I think it works. I think the alt jersey seems some piping though.

While I really like the color scheme, the general logo and layout, I'm a little neutral on the bevels. I'd really be curious to see a flat version. Regardless, I don't think the logo works on green at all. I think you've got to switch either the cap color or the logo color on the cap. Same with the first alt jersey. The two greens don't offer enough contrast. A few tweaks and I think this can be a solid identity.

Yeah, looking at it now I can see that. I'll try the flat version of the logo as well, just to see how it looks. There certainly won't be any green-on-green for LA once the update is finished. Thanks for your feedback!

2/16/2020 4:02 pm  #28

Alright, I'm back, with the final updates to every team before the story kicks off! Thanks to everybody who commented on the teams, I took your feedback into consideration and I think every team looks better for it. Either way, these will be the final updates/concepts before the actual story starts! Without further ado, the new league logo!

The Atlanta Jets!
The California Golden Suns!
The Chicago Lakers!
The Houston Storm!
The Los Angeles Olympians!
The New York Busters!
The Philadelphia Knights!

And the Washington Monuments!

Ok, here's basically how every team changed:
CGS/HOU/WSH: unchanged, back of jersey added.
ATL: "JETS" script changed, new logos for color-on-color applications, new cap.
CHI: New logo (lake changed to lake L), darkened red.
LAO: Removed beveling, new logos for color-on-color applications, new cap, new jersey.
NYB: Darkened blue and lightened orange to separate from Mets.
PHI: Adjusted "G" to look more like a G.
NAAB: Replaced gray with red, made the logo more into a baseball.

And that's that! I'll be getting everything set up in OOTP 18 to get going very soon, so stay tuned!

C&C Welcome!

Last edited by QCS (2/16/2020 4:05 pm)

2/16/2020 5:41 pm  #29

Like the new league logo and Chicago is by far my favourite look of all the teams here! Go Lakers!

2/16/2020 8:00 pm  #30

Every change is a significant upgrade, well done to take critiques and turn them into improved concepts. The Lakers with the L is fantastic, way to turn it into a secondary logo by itself as well. LA looks very nice now, much better! The Jets feel much more cohesive now as well. I like the color switch for the Busters, it feels much more like an original team now. That steel-blue gray is very nice. While I'm still not sold on the lettering on the new league logo, it looks much better and I really like the swoopy stitches thing you've got there.

All around nice work!

Board footera