Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2021 3:47 pm  #911

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

These next 25 are going to have some wacky brands... We are all ready for these next 25 Dr! Keep the good work train going!

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

3/30/2021 4:13 pm  #912

I can't wait to see what comes next! Keep up the great work!!

3/31/2021 7:47 am  #913

I like the in-depth analysis.  Great work.

3/31/2021 4:00 pm  #914

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Sabres fan here, they've definitely gotten better and are moving to a career .500 record. But thank you for the stats, I love all things stats. It's a good series, and as we've entered into the 70's I look forward to some of the looks updating as you continue to the future.

Thanks for the kind words. I definitely understand the love for stats. I have a whole google sheet page with tons of information from the league, it's one of my favorite things about this series.

Rugrat wrote:

Nice! Here are my thoughts. 

Not surprised to see Miami, Chicago, Washington and Philly as the top 4 winningest teams. Those guys seem to be top teams every year. Minnesota at 5 is a slight suprise, considering they suck in the playoffs. (they'll win sooner then later, hopefully). Didn't expect Houston at 6 either. Sad to see the Rangers with a below .500 winning percentage but hey, at least we're the winningest team in Ohio! Surprised Colorado's ahead of Seattle considering they've been in the league shorter and have no playoff appreances (Seattle has 1 I think). 

Scott Hogg was truly a winner, props to him. Same with Addams and the Hornets back in the day. Shame that Keith Lincoln couldn't win a title, but life isn't fair I guess lol. 

I like the new Rangers sig a lot! The team script in between the Wings looks great! Hopefully it will stay similar for future sigs!

Congrats on 25 seasons of NFA Football DP! Cheers to the next 25!

I didn't think to clarify, but the graph is only including regular season games. Which may answer some of your questions. I think the 67 expansion teams are a bit of an anomaly in this graph too. Like yeah Texas and Colorado are bad, but as a franchise, they're no where near Seattle, who yes only have 1 playoff appearance, and no winning records. (Which may be a problem down the line when the lease for the stadium wears off this decade if they can't turn it around.)

I'm glad you like the new sigs!

Stickman wrote:

Awesome analysis as always Pepper!  Definitely a great start for the Miami Stingrays (despite no championships... yet).  The Chicago Zephyrs' .638 over 20 seasons is incredibly consistent, it'll be fun to watch if they stay the winningest team in the league (outside Miami, who's win percentage will obviously even out a bit as time goes on and they have a few bad seasons here and there).

Fun facts, so far half the teams have won championships, pretty nice considering we're only 25 years in and the fact that the Zephyrs had that 6 championships in 8 years run.

The Philadelphia Hornets have managed to win a championship every decade so far other than the 70s (and there's plenty of time for them to win one this decade).

Seattle Lumberjacks = LOL

Really great stuff so far!  Can't wait to see what the next 25 years bring!

I really love to see your feedback Stickman. It'll be really interesting to see how the increase of teams will affect how many have won the Champions Bowl. What's crazy, is despite the league having 6 different expansions (48, 51, 56, 60, 62, 67) and growing from 6 original teams to the 20 we have now, there's been one of those original 6 teams in every Champions Bowl except for one, the 1959 Champions Bowl between the Rangers and Zephyrs. If you wanna count the appearances, that's 32 for original 6 teams, compared to 18 for expansion teams, which you can drop to 4 if you take out the 14 combined between the Tigers and Zephyrs. So, basically 8 teams can account for 46 of the possible 50 Champions Bowl appearances, which makes the fact that half of the leagues teams have won the Champions Bowl feel a bit stranger. 
This might change though, right now a lot of younger franchises are getting really good. Obviously there's Miami, but Cincinnati and Houston are both becoming really good, Atlanta and Texas both drafted great quarterbacks last offseason that have shown some talent, especially Skip Anderson for the Bulldogs who I could definitely see bringing them a playoff appearance in the near near future, and there's San Francisco who's at the top of the football world right now. Not to mention Minneapolis is doing a good job rebuilding and if they ever win a playoff game could account for an appearance. Washington's seemingly on the other side of their run right now too, with Philadelphia and Los Angeles both appearing to be declining while New York and Boston are in the basement. if there's a time that we'll see some new teams in the playoffs and Champions Bowl it's now. (Which is part of the reason further expansion is being considered, since the new markets are doing fairly well, even despite some on- field struggles.)

Also yes, Seattle is pitiful.
Thanks for the kind words too!
And thanks to everyone else who commented.

3/31/2021 4:06 pm  #915

1971-72 Season:
Northeast:
After a rough season last year, the Hornets rebound, with Washington having a better season after a nagging injury affected his play for most of last year. The Hornets would capture their 2nd Northeastern title with 11 wins. Coming in second and barely squeaking into the postseason for a second year in a row would be the Pirates. Washington took a considerable step back in efficiency between last winter and this winter. The offense slowed down and the defense was weaker, and they weren’t affected by any major injuries either. In third were the Bulldogs. After a great rookie season QB Skip Anderson looked poised to make a run at the postseason. It wouldn’t be though, as Atlanta would lose almost all their close games, and get embarrassed by the Cougars in the last week of the season to put them at 7-7. Anderson played some of his best games though this year and with a bit more age and experience, the Bulldogs could be serious playoff contenders. Finishing out the Northeast were New York and Boston, who both had middling years.

North:
Following up their first postseason appearance since 1963 last season, the Ironmen skyrocketed to the top of the league, they started the season 8-1 before slowing down towards the end of the season. Sam Powers, the third year QB would win his first MVP, and be the first Ironman to win it since Elijah Kingston. DT Terry Bonds would also win his second straight MOD, joining the small group of Stan Hunter and Monty Jones as the only ones to do it. Head Coach Andrew Penn would also win MOC. Pittsburgh would finish with 11 wins, capturing their first North title. In second, also making the playoffs were the Barbarians, who put up a franchise best 10 wins thanks to a resurgent year from the offensive core. Behind them were the Zephyrs and last year’s MVP; Lloyd Brown. The Zephyrs had a bit of a falling out this year. All season long, both coach Randolph Brunswick, and QB Lloyd Brown fought. It became apparent after the two were seen yelling at each other on the way off the field after a close loss to Philadelphia mid way through the season. The rest of the way from there would continue to be rocky. However, Chicago would stay in the playoff race. But a tough loss in Pittsburgh in week 13 ended up being the nail in the coffin, despite them winning their last 2 games. After this game the two fought as well, with players having to take Brown away who was apparently threatening the coach. He would face no consequences for this though. In fact the league didn’t step in until after the season, when they fined the organization for its lack of professionality. The most notable thing though, Brown is on a contract year, and thanks to the new free agency rules set in place a couple years ago, he no longer has to put up with this if he so pleases. This puts the Zephyrs in pretty new territory, as since the rule change, no major super star has really just left their team, but Brown could be the first. 

After Chicago was Cleveland, who after two straight playoff appearances, just fell off. A really nasty 6 game losing streak in the first half of the season killed team morale and they’d only go on to win 4 games all year. Detroit would come last again, still rebuilding.

South:
Miami would capture their 4th South title this year, with their eyes once again on a Champions Bowl. Behind them were the Explorers, who after just missing the playoffs last year were on a mission to make it this year. They’d just slip in as a 7 seed behind a great second half of the season from QB Zachary Ingram, who came second in MVP voting. After going 11-3 last year, Cincinnati struggled to live up to expectations. The Sabres looked like a fluke. There were some injuries to the defense, notably CB Jerry Slaughter, but the offense fell flat on its face for most games and QB Roy Frazier had a career year for interceptions, negating any arguments that the lack of success was because of the injuries. They’d finish with 7 wins. Finally, tied at the bottom of the league again were the Riders and Kings. QB Rich Wilkerson for Texas and rookie QB Jason Hoffman for St. Louis would both miss most of the season with injuries, which crippled any hopes the teams might leave the basement this year.

West:
Out west, the Whales would capture another division title, just edging out a reborn Tigers team for it. The reigning champs had retained most of the team from last year and continued to play as well as they had in last year’s playoffs. The Tigers would experiment a lot this year. QB Keith Lincoln, who has been the leader of this team for quite some time, started showing age last year. In response to that the Tigers traded for QB Patrick James, a younger moldable talent that didn’t work out as a starter in Seattle and might be a good backup for Lincoln. However, by the end of the year he was the starter. He had really started to come into his own, and with Lincoln’s guidance, had some of his best games down the stretch, pair this with the Tigers also swapping RB Sam Peck for the younger RB Bob Briscoe, and the Tigers were back in the playoffs. Minneapolis would be a couple wins short of making it after a weird year. They’d start hot, with 3 big wins over St. Louis, Seattle and San Francisco, but would then only win 1 of the next 7 before finishing the last 4 weeks 3-1. Mid season included some embarrassing performances against Seattle and Washington, where the Ox were trounced, and they also tied the Riders in a sad 10-10 game. Coming in 4th and 5th were Seattle and Colorado. Seattle had a promising year in their standards, finishing in 4th in division with 6 wins.

C&C Appreciated, how'd your team do?

3/31/2021 4:18 pm  #916

Oh come on Cleveland. Back to back playoff trips and that’s how you play? Anyway, another great season. Seems like we may be in for an all Pennsylvania champions bowl!

3/31/2021 4:26 pm  #917

Let's go Tigers, go win this battle of California

3/31/2021 4:49 pm  #918

Another excellent write up as always.  Not a great year for the Cleveland Rangers by any means, but we'll be back!

It's weird, despite clearly being a very strong team, (they are the #1 seed after all), I'm not feeling the Pittsburgh Ironmen as the championship favorites.  It might be due to their half of the bracket.  They start by playing a consistently good Washington Pirates squad.  While the Pirates clearly seem to have taken a step back, they did make it to the championship game last year as a 6 seed, so you never know.  On top of that though, I'm really feeling this could be the year for the Miami Stingrays.  They've been another consistent franchise, and I think this is the year they break through.

On the other half of the bracket, I'm feeling the Philadelphia Hornets here.  While the San Francisco Whales are certainly a good pick to repeat, I actually think the Los Angeles Tigers will upset here in the first round.  Patrick James' story is a good one, we always love the redemption stories where a player bombs for one team, then gets traded/signed to a new one that really just fits them better.  The Tigers were that better fit.  

Going Stingrays vs. Hornets, with the Stingrays finally getting that first championship!

3/31/2021 4:57 pm  #919

Is it bad I only just found out that the Colorado Cougars are a team?? And if they dont have any fans... I guess I might as well hook myself to them, even if I hate the name Cougars, purple fits the state really well and could evolve into a great identity... #CougarUp

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

4/04/2021 4:17 pm  #920

Stickman wrote:

Another excellent write up as always.  Not a great year for the Cleveland Rangers by any means, but we'll be back!

It's weird, despite clearly being a very strong team, (they are the #1 seed after all), I'm not feeling the Pittsburgh Ironmen as the championship favorites.  It might be due to their half of the bracket.  They start by playing a consistently good Washington Pirates squad.  While the Pirates clearly seem to have taken a step back, they did make it to the championship game last year as a 6 seed, so you never know.  On top of that though, I'm really feeling this could be the year for the Miami Stingrays.  They've been another consistent franchise, and I think this is the year they break through.

Thanks for the replies!

On the other half of the bracket, I'm feeling the Philadelphia Hornets here.  While the San Francisco Whales are certainly a good pick to repeat, I actually think the Los Angeles Tigers will upset here in the first round.  Patrick James' story is a good one, we always love the redemption stories where a player bombs for one team, then gets traded/signed to a new one that really just fits them better.  The Tigers were that better fit.  

Going Stingrays vs. Hornets, with the Stingrays finally getting that first championship!

Those are some great observations. I think Pittsburgh does have an especially tough path to a Champions Bowl here. But so does everyone else, the league's been super competitive over the past few years, case in point being that the Pirates are only an 8 seed, there are still some great teams like Minneapolis, Chicago, Cincinnati, and Atlanta who were all fairly close to making it, and in a less competitive year probably would've. even teams that aren't so good now, are only a couple pieces away. The only "bad teams" I'd say are in the league now are Seattle, Detroit, New York and Boston. Each of their biggest problems are probably a lack of a competent QB. But as the trend has occurred over the past few years, there's some good QB's at the top of the board that at least a couple of those teams will get. As for other low win teams, such as St. Louis, Texas, Cleveland, or Colorado, have the talent but either didn't preform or got unfortunate with injuries. 

master BDoof (CodeG) wrote:

Is it bad I only just found out that the Colorado Cougars are a team?? And if they dont have any fans... I guess I might as well hook myself to them, even if I hate the name Cougars, purple fits the state really well and could evolve into a great identity... #CougarUp

I mean, Colorado kind of slipped in with the expansion and merger but it was a bit awkward, especially because they were the Atlanta Copperheads, but were sold and moved, so I'm not surprised that someone may of missed them, they haven't been too exciting to watch so far anyway. Glad to see they have a fan though! You're choosing a good time to hop on too, they're doing a really good job at building up the foundations of a playoff contender. Don't be shocked if they trade up for one of those QB's at the top of the draft to top off the rebuild.

Edit: Also if you were a Ghosts fan, it's worth noting that while the color scheme isn't completely used the same as the Ghosts, the Cougars purple and silver were taken directly from the Ghosts.

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (4/04/2021 4:26 pm)

Board footera