Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2021 8:17 pm  #901

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Sevsdast wrote:

What are the 22 cities?

I was considering not saying, just because it's really not as interesting as some may believe, and most of the cities don't have a real shot, but why not.
After pressure from media, the NFA publicly releases the full list of 22 cities it's currently investigating to see whether a future expansion team could play there. The list is seen below.

Portland, OR
Oakland, CA
San Diego, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Kansas City, MO
San Antonio, TX
New Orleans, LA
Chicago, IL
St. Paul, MN
Indianapolis, IN
Memphis, TN
Louisville, KY
Columbus, OH
Tampa, FL
Baltimore, MD
Buffalo, NY
Newark, NY
New York, NY
Hartford, CT
Toronto, ON

If I were to select 2: Phoenix and Hartford.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

3/28/2021 10:20 pm  #902

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Sevsdast wrote:

What are the 22 cities?

I was considering not saying, just because it's really not as interesting as some may believe, and most of the cities don't have a real shot, but why not.
After pressure from media, the NFA publicly releases the full list of 22 cities it's currently investigating to see whether a future expansion team could play there. The list is seen below.

Portland, OR
Oakland, CA
San Diego, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Kansas City, MO
San Antonio, TX
New Orleans, LA
Chicago, IL
St. Paul, MN
Indianapolis, IN
Memphis, TN
Louisville, KY
Columbus, OH
Tampa, FL
Baltimore, MD
Buffalo, NY
Newark, NY
New York, NY
Hartford, CT
Toronto, ON

My top 5 in no particular order would be

New Orleans
Phoenix
Kansas City
Portland
San Diego

3/29/2021 12:00 pm  #903

Pretty quiet for the Blue Ox, which I hope is a good thing. 
Congrats (although no surprise) for Scott Hogg getting into the Hall!
Hoping to finally get to the playoffs and get a win this year for Minne.

3/29/2021 1:21 pm  #904

Rugrat wrote:

New Orleans
Phoenix
Kansas City
Portland
San Diego

Hold your horses, a council probably won't come for a couple more seasons if it comes at all.

3/29/2021 1:22 pm  #905

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

New Orleans
Phoenix
Kansas City
Portland
San Diego

Hold your horses, a council probably won't come for a couple more seasons if it comes at all.

Oops. My apologies. 

3/29/2021 1:45 pm  #906

Congrats to Cassel on being named the Commissioner. A former player that was the owner's choice should go a long way for prolonged owner-player relations. I like that move.

That's quite the list of cities, and it doesn't narrow much down. I'd like to see the league grow by 4 instead of 2, just because I like seeing new identities. But 2 seems like it would be better for spreading the league's talent, so both have their upsides.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

3/29/2021 2:15 pm  #907

The 25th Anniversary of the NFA (1946-1971)

It’s time to celebrate 25 years of NFA football! There’s a lot of celebrations that are going to be had. 

Firstly, an updated graphic showcasing the winning percentage of every team updated through the 1970-71 season. Mixed in with this is a look back on award winners and ranking the top ten players in NFA history.

On top of the NFA world right now is Miami. Who in their 4 seasons, have made the playoffs 3 times, winning their division each of those times, have always had a winning record, have gotten over 10 wins twice, and have made it to the Champions Bowl once in a loss to the Pirates. Its a pretty outstanding resume, mix that with a Championship from their pre-NFA days and you have one of the most dominant football teams in the country over the past half decade. However they benefit from a short existence, Chicago, who's been around for 20 years, could be more impressive. They're still well above .500 thanks to their dynasty run from a decade ago. Though, they do only have 2 playoff appearances over the past 8 years, which is the 2nd worst among teams that have played the past 8 seasons (so no 67 expansion teams). The only team with less appearances then them is Seattle, with their lone appearance. Speaking of Seattle, they aren't at the bottom anymore. That title goes to Texas. However, just like with Miami and Chicago, Thanks to Seattle's longer existence, 11 seasons, you could argue that their failure to accomplish a single winning record is much more impressive then Texas's situation.
How about those hovering around .500? Well Washington used to be and they've jumped significantly since drafting Ron Murray, where as Minneapolis used to be much higher, but a rebuilding period has knocked them below Washington and Philadelphia. Below them the Bombers and Cannons who've both had some rough years over the past 3 or 4 seasons. The Explorers join the Stingrays as the only 2 expansion teams starting off with an overall winning record. Houston is trending upwards too with young gun Zach Ingram under center, so they'll keep climbing. Some more historic teams continue to hover around the middle of the pack, the Gaels, and Ironmen would be much lower if not for a few championship runs. The Tigers have seemingly recovered from a rough patch in St. Louis to being one of the most consistently successful teams in the NFA. Too bad all those Champions Bowl appearances don't count toward anything. Finally, the reigning champ Whales, who despite having 4 straight playoff appearances, are still weighed down by their inaugural seasons woes. They clock behind some younger, less successful franchises like Cincinnati and Milwaukee. Finally, theres the oddity that is Cleveland. Cleveland continues bouncing from 5 win to 9 win seasons. But they've made the playoffs for consecutive seasons this past year, is that a sign of things to come, or are they going to fall back to the bottom of the division again.

Looking at the award history, it continues to really show the grip Scott Hogg's Zephyrs had on the league. Hogg himself has the most MVP's out of the entire league, and his coach has the most MOC's out of any coach. Another thing worth noting is probably the list of 5 players who've won more than 1 MVP. 2 of those players, Lincoln, and Murray are both still active, so you never know. But they're already in good company, Hogg, Pearson and Addams are all Hall of Famers, which might just be a sneak peak into their future. (Although Lincoln's 0 rings might hold him back in the end) 

Finally, the top 10 list. Number 1 was pretty easy. Hogg and the Zephyrs have already had their dominance showcased so I'll pass on talking about them again. 2nd and 3rd were also pretty easy picks, what was difficult was the order. Kingston got more rings, he goes first. After the podium spots things got a bit harder. 4-7 were chosen pretty arbitrarily, and it could be any of the top 10 in those spots. But I went Raschall, Jones, Pearson, then Parks. Raschall at 4th solely because he was extremely underrated and if he hadn't had to share the ball with Hogg, or was on another team, he probably would've won more MVPs. He took the Zephyrs to the Champions Bowl by himself once, he could've taken any other team at his peak. Jones next was a bit hard, since he's one of the only 2 defensive players on the list. But even though he's still an active player, he's clearly the best to play defense. He's given countless QB's nightmares. Pearson and Parks fall next thanks to them leading their teams to multiple rings. In the last 3 spots are Hunter, who's not too well known, English, the only receiver on the list, and Lincoln, who has the second most playoff starts among QB's. The only one I think needs explaining is Hunter. Hunter played for Boston his whole career, from 1955 to 1969. He was the first player to win multiple MOD's, and helped lead an incredible defense with the Gaels that played an underrated part in their mid 60's dynasty.  

Along with all that here's an updated graphic showcasing every Championship Banner.

Finally for the Anniversary, some brand new sigs!

Also, I did some research into the fanbases of the NFA. From what I've gathered, Cleveland has the most fans on the site. After them Minnesota, Boston, Houston and Washington all seem to have decent followings. There are still 4 teams seemingly without fans. Atlanta, Colorado, Miami and funny enough the reigning champ Whales. If I'm wrong though and there's any Bulldogs, Cougars, Stingrays, or Whales fans out there, let me know!
Thanks for all the support of the series y'all, it means a lot to me and I have a lot of fun doing this stuff, it makes it all the better than I can make other people enjoy my work too.

3/29/2021 2:31 pm  #908

Sabres fan here, they've definitely gotten better and are moving to a career .500 record. But thank you for the stats, I love all things stats. It's a good series, and as we've entered into the 70's I look forward to some of the looks updating as you continue to the future.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

3/29/2021 2:37 pm  #909

Nice! Here are my thoughts. 

Not surprised to see Miami, Chicago, Washington and Philly as the top 4 winningest teams. Those guys seem to be top teams every year. Minnesota at 5 is a slight suprise, considering they suck in the playoffs. (they'll win sooner then later, hopefully). Didn't expect Houston at 6 either. Sad to see the Rangers with a below .500 winning percentage but hey, at least we're the winningest team in Ohio! Surprised Colorado's ahead of Seattle considering they've been in the league shorter and have no playoff appreances (Seattle has 1 I think). 

Scott Hogg was truly a winner, props to him. Same with Addams and the Hornets back in the day. Shame that Keith Lincoln couldn't win a title, but life isn't fair I guess lol. 

I like the new Rangers sig a lot! The team script in between the Wings looks great! Hopefully it will stay similar for future sigs!

Congrats on 25 seasons of NFA Football DP! Cheers to the next 25!

3/29/2021 2:50 pm  #910

Awesome analysis as always Pepper!  Definitely a great start for the Miami Stingrays (despite no championships... yet).  The Chicago Zephyrs' .638 over 20 seasons is incredibly consistent, it'll be fun to watch if they stay the winningest team in the league (outside Miami, who's win percentage will obviously even out a bit as time goes on and they have a few bad seasons here and there).

Fun facts, so far half the teams have won championships, pretty nice considering we're only 25 years in and the fact that the Zephyrs had that 6 championships in 8 years run.

The Philadelphia Hornets have managed to win a championship every decade so far other than the 70s (and there's plenty of time for them to win one this decade).

Seattle Lumberjacks = LOL

Really great stuff so far!  Can't wait to see what the next 25 years bring!

Board footera