Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2020 1:34 pm  #481

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Love the addition of the names on jerseys. Great implementation into the story.
I'm also very intrigued by the draft of both leagues having some cross over in terms of players being selected.

7/26/2020 2:23 pm  #482

where do you create all this stuff is there a certain platform?

7/26/2020 6:46 pm  #483

Finally caught up after about a day's worth of reading. Just joined after finding this on CCSLC. 

Really enjoyed seeing the Hornet's early dominance, too bad poor front office wrecked the team and that early 50's dynasty will likely be overshadowed by the legendary Zephyrs. Here's hoping philly's stingers climb out of that basement soon!

7/26/2020 8:29 pm  #484

Wow, I just had a quick run through of this thread to brush up on the history. Wish I was less touch and go with it because the whole project is very well done. 

Couple thoughts
- Thank you for reintroducing the playoff bracket to go with the games. I was having a problem trying to figure out who won when quickly skimming through the pages because the "Home" and "Away" on the game presentations made me backtrack to see who was what.

- The only thing I got from going through again was a reminder that my team has the saddest history in this league. The 1990-93 Bills of the universe, the Pirates could have done so much more.

- Wish the Ironman didn't leave the state. Loved the name and everything about them, but their new fit looks pretty sweet, too.

- After accepting that Washington is going to sleep at the bottom for a few years, I start to hope that a new team can catch my attention from the other league and end up coming over. I really like NO and Atlanta a lot.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (7/26/2020 8:30 pm)

7/26/2020 11:52 pm  #485

Wallflower wrote:

Love the addition of the names on jerseys. Great implementation into the story.
I'm also very intrigued by the draft of both leagues having some cross over in terms of players being selected.

Thank you! The story plot for the names actually is pretty much stolen from the AFL irl, so I can't take much credit, but I am glad you enjoyed it! As for the drafts, yeah both leagues pick some of the same players. I think last year gave some teams hope that they might get the next Elijah Boone and manage to convince a top tier talent to take a risk and sign with them instead of the NFA, I would expect in the coming years for SFL teams to take more players they know they'd manage to sign rather than risks, unless they do manage to sign some, which would really put them on the map.

TOUCHDOWN QB EAGLES wrote:

Finally caught up after about a day's worth of reading. Just joined after finding this on CCSLC. 

Really enjoyed seeing the Hornet's early dominance, too bad poor front office wrecked the team and that early 50's dynasty will likely be overshadowed by the legendary Zephyrs. Here's hoping philly's stingers climb out of that basement soon!

Happy to see ya! I'm glad my advertisement is doing something for me on CCSLC haha! Yeah the Hornets have had it rough the past half decade, but that's expected after a dynasty. I think your right that it'll be overshadowed by the Z-men's dynasty in the long run, but Eugene Addams should hopefully still be remembered as the greatest QB in his time, next to Scott Hogg, so not all memories are lost. As for climbing out of the basement soon, since trading Addams they actually done a pretty good job rebuilding, they've been silently becoming a potential playoff contender. Keep an eye out for that Washington kid they just picked up in the draft. He mightve been the second QB taken but he was good enough to be taken 1st.

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Wow, I just had a quick run through of this thread to brush up on the history. Wish I was less touch and go with it because the whole project is very well done. 

Couple thoughts
- Thank you for reintroducing the playoff bracket to go with the games. I was having a problem trying to figure out who won when quickly skimming through the pages because the "Home" and "Away" on the game presentations made me backtrack to see who was what.

- The only thing I got from going through again was a reminder that my team has the saddest history in this league. The 1990-93 Bills of the universe, the Pirates could have done so much more.

- Wish the Ironman didn't leave the state. Loved the name and everything about them, but their new fit looks pretty sweet, too.

- After accepting that Washington is going to sleep at the bottom for a few years, I start to hope that a new team can catch my attention from the other league and end up coming over. I really like NO and Atlanta a lot.

It's good to see you commenting again Scratch! Yeah your Pirates have had it a bit rough in terms of postseason success, but they still are the most winningest team, barely edging out the Zephyrs, so you do have something to be proud of, unlike the Whales. Hopefully they should be back to their winning ways soon too, last season was a bit of a fluke, but it did get them the first pick and a potential all time QB, so there's something to look forward too.
I'm glad you like brackets! They felt a bit pointless at the time to make but I might go back and re-add them for anyone else new to the series. I do have a tendency to get the home and away teams mixed up as well lol.
Both NO and ATL are good choices, I love all the designs for the SFL teams but those are both some of my favorites out of the group. NO isn't in the best place on the field, kinda wandering around no man's land in the standings, but they are one of the most sound off the field, with a rich owner and good attendance numbers. ATL isn't as good off the field but pretty good on. They're definitely hoping continued success will bring them some more money and fans.

Thanks for all the comments, the NFA season will be up tomorrow, be prepared for some surprises!

7/27/2020 3:31 pm  #486

1965-66 NFA Regular Season 

NFA East
1.Philadelphia Hornets: Arriving at the ever changing top of the NFA East standings are the resurging Hornets. Led by phenom rookie QB Oscar Washington, this team shocked everyone by their play. The team clinched the 1 seed in the postseason narrowly over the reigning champs, the Gaels. Washington went on to collect MOR awards and was in the running for MVP as well. Paired with him was a young talented offense. RB Tom Fowler had his best season and the rookie WRs they picked up did great. On defense the Hornets had two bright spots; DT Tom Larkin and DE Dave Looney. Both are younger stars and helped captain an above average defense. This team is coming into the postseason hot, they’re actually the favorites to win it all this year.
2.Boston Gaels: Coming in at second place in the East are the Gaels. While their season was not as great as last season, the team is still looking like they can defend their throne pretty easily, and it was a relief the team didn’t follow up a good season by collapsing, like they have the past few times. McCloud and Parks put up solid numbers and carried the team to a strong 9 wins. The defense was weaker than years past however, the backbones of the unit have aged and it really started to show. DB Stan Hunter, a two time MOD recipient was also sidelined with injuries for a lot of the season and will miss the postseason, which was a big hit to the team.
3.Baltimore Bulldogs: The last postseason clinching team in the East are the Bulldogs, who capture their second straight appearance. Baltimore’s team is just about the same as last season. QB Greyson Little and RB Edgar Hamm both followed up last season’s impressive offensive performances with another solid season. On defense the team saw it’s best improvements. OLB Bob Hayes won the MOD award and the defense improved all around. The problem was that the team was just as all over the place at times. A rough start to the season had them playing catch up all season resulting in only 7 wins.
4.Washington Pirates: Just missing out on the postseason are the Pirates. Washington had a big transition year, rookie QB Ron Murray ended up getting some time behind QB Doug Emmonds and even started the last game of the season. QB wasn’t the only position going through some changes, RB Chester Lindsey took full reign after RB Jack Dorsey retired in the offseason, RB Rob Dimitroff, who was picked up in the offseason helped Lindsey and helped provide a very deep running game. On defense some younger pieces got to step up after injuries swept through the unit. The biggest victim was DE Monty Jones, one of the best defenders to grace the NFA, he was putting up a career year before breaking his foot. Expect this team to make the fight for a postseason appearance much tougher next year.
5.Milwaukee Barbarians: Milwaukee once again was at the bottom of the East. They were pretty forgettable and there’s not much to say about them. Young QB William Brown made strides but still doesn’t seem to possess the talent to take this team to any extremes. On defense they gave up the most points out of any team, even more than the Whales. 
6.New York Cannons: And the disappointment of the year belongs to New York, but to their credit, injuries did bog down some of the defense, the only real attractive part of this team, over the year. But that doesn’t excuse only winning 4 games this year. Improvements were made to the offense in the offseason. QB Jim Sandusky was traded in a risky deal that brought in potential franchise QB Micheal Bauer and needed improvements to the WR group too. This should’ve resulted in more wins, instead they weren’t even close to a winning season. On the bright side, Bauer still showed that he had that potential and played better than Sandusky at times. RB Thomas O’Grady was fine and the defense was as showstopping as could be. Hopefully a bounce back season comes next year, this team is entirely able to win another Bow.
7.Cleveland Rangers: In last place were the Rangers, again. Someone has to be at the bottom, unfortunately that’s been Cleveland’s role for the past couple years. A bit of a step back from the progress made in the past couple years, the Rangers were just worse than thought. QB Kurtis Mueller played up and down, the rest of the offense was mediocre and the defense wasn’t much more impressive. Hopefully the team can continue the previous progression next season. 

NFA West
1.Minneapolis Blue Ox: Once again the Blue Ox have finished on top of the West. It’s the same story as in the previous 2 years, Addams led a talented offense to another 9 wins and a bye in the postseason. The defense was talented like normal too, led by the likes of DE Fredrick Collingwood and CB David Potts. It’s their season to lose, hopefully they can finally take that next step in the postseason.
2.Los Angeles Tigers: In second were the Tigers. Los Angeles silently had a much better year than in seasons past, the defense improved, the offense was more solid all around, and QB Kieth Lincoln collected his second MVP. Improvements in the defense were probably the biggest thing to note, CB Dan Simmons slowly became the best in his position, second year DE Dave Terry made large strides to his development and became a very promising young star, and OLB Donny Chandler had his best season. RB Sam Peck helped Lincoln in retaining a top tier offense along with a top tier wide receiver group. All in all, LA could definitely make another run at the Bowl. Just hope they’ll show up this time if they do.
3.Chicago Zephyrs: Making a return to the postseason are the Zephyrs. Still riding on QB Scott Hogg and the rest of the core from the dynasty era, the only thing holding this team back from a run at the Bowl is age. However, while there are a lot of older pieces of the team still around, there’s some promising beacons of youth too. RB Bob Briscoe has developed nicely the past couple years and is part of the reason the offense hasn’t completely tanked yet. On defense OLB Eli Webber improved and had his best season and veteran DT David Mann gave the unit much needed experience that helped them win some important games.
4.Detroit Bombers: Coming in after the Zephyrs are another team who doesn’t want to die. The Bombers stay afloat with a 6-6 record. It should’ve been higher but injuries derailed the teams and by the end of the season it seemed like everyone was out nursing some wound. QB Houston Henderson wasn’t an exception either. In what may potentially be his last season, Henderson put up solid numbers, but nowhere near where he used to. The defense was lacking as well, resulting in a middle of the pack defensive ranking. 
5.Seattle Lumberjacks: One year removed from the franchises first postseason appearance the Jacks fall. Newly acquired QB Jim Sandusky did well, but it was clear he wasn’t the focus of the team, rookie QB Patrick James was his backup but would get alot more time in the spotlight than expected. James and Sandusky were seemingly the only things to look forward to on the team though. The defense was flat out not good, despite DT Glen Sawyer’s best efforts. The running game was weak and washed up and WR Harold Schmitt had his worst season and it didn’t help that he still had the most targets out of any receiver. In conclusion, last year was a bit of a fluke.
6.San Francisco Whales: There’s not much to say here besides that the team stayed in character and stunk. QB John Leonard didn’t improve and is seemingly more and more of a bust, RB Sid Snell’s progression has slowed and he’s been held back from nagging injuries. A bright side to it all though is that the defense did show some talent, DT Dale Hinton is maybe the best player on the team and definitely helped make the defense a bit more intimidating.  

1965-66 NFA Standings:
NFA East:
1.Philadelphia Hornets: 10-2-0
3.Boston Gaels: 9-3-0

5.Baltimore Bulldogs: 7-5-0
Washington Pirates: 6-6-0
Milwaukee Barbarians: 4-8-0
New York Cannons: 4-8-0
Cleveland Rangers: 3-8-1 

NFA West:
2.Minneapolis Blue Ox: 9-3-0
4.Los Angeles Tigers: 8-4-0

6.Chicago Zephyrs: 7-5-0
Detroit Bombers: 6-6-0
Seattle Lumberjacks: 5-6-1
San Francisco Whales: 2-10-0
*Bold indicated postseason berth, number indicates seed 

The Most Valuable Player Award went to QB Kieth Lincoln of the Los Angeles Tigers.
The Most Outstanding Defender Award went to OLB Bob Hayes of the Baltimore Bulldogs.
The Most Outstanding Rookie Award went to QB Oscar Washington of the Philadelphia Hornets.
The Most Outstanding Coach Award went to Joe Taylor of the Philadelphia Hornets.

And here's the bracket for this postseason:

C&C Appreciated, how'd your team do?

7/27/2020 3:49 pm  #487

Another great regular season mean nothing if you fail in the postseason, come on Blue Ox!
Quite the season from Phillie though, shocking the league like the Long Island Raiders. Very interested to see if they can make some waves in the postseason.

7/27/2020 4:10 pm  #488

Hornets vs. Blue Ox in the champions bowl. #phillyphilly

Last edited by BlogDunk (7/27/2020 5:59 pm)

7/27/2020 6:08 pm  #489

The Hornets are BACK, baby! Let's get that fourth championship!

Would be bonkers if we wind up with the Blue Ox vs the Hornets in the Champions Bowl: Eugene Addams vs his old team.

7/27/2020 8:11 pm  #490

Come on Ox!

Board footera