Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2020 10:07 am  #471

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Cardiac Cardinal wrote:

What a first season for Texas! Now we want Boston for the undisputed champion of pro football

Not sure if you're implying that the Riders will play the Gaels, but much like the AFL was originally with the NFL, although I don't think the SFL is quite on the level of the AFL, the two leagues have no on field interactions. The two leagues are pretty separate from each other. So no Gaels v Riders game unfortunately. I would imagine the Gaels would win quite easily though if they did play, the talent difference between the two leagues, outside of a few stars is pretty significant.

Wallflower wrote:

Solid first season for the SFL!
I would just say with the final graphic, I had to do a double take on the score as the "Atlanta Copperheads vs Texas Roughriders" line was opposite the helmets and the score which just messed with my head, so flipping the names would cause less confusion. 

Yeah I can see that, I'll have it the other way around for the next American Bowl. Thanks for the input!

The super bowl started 6 seasons after the AFL was founded, you’ll probably have to wasn’t until 1970.

7/21/2020 7:59 pm  #472

I guess Texas would win a match up between the NFA and SFL champions.

7/22/2020 2:34 pm  #473

GeorgeBryzzo wrote:

The super bowl started 6 seasons after the AFL was founded, you’ll probably have to wasn’t until 1970.
I guess Texas would win a match up between the NFA and SFL champions.

Well as of right now neither leagues are planning any sort of inter-league championship. The leagues are still well apart talent wise, Texas would probably get into the postseason but considering at their core their just a worser version of that Pittsburgh Ironmen team from a few years back, I doubt they'd get to the Bowl let alone win it.

Also, sorry the offseason's taking a minute to get done, I should hopefully have it posted by the end of the week.

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (7/22/2020 2:35 pm)

7/23/2020 8:19 am  #474

Boston beat LA? I had Them winning against Minneapolis.

7/24/2020 12:24 pm  #475

Here's the offseason!

1965 NFA Offseason 

13th Annual NFA Draft:
1st- QB Ron Murray - Texas State University - Washington Pirates
2nd- RB David Jackson - Arkansas State University - Milwaukee Barbarians 
3rd- DE Dave Terry - Detroit State University - Los Angeles Tigers (From Cleveland) 
4th- QB Oscar Washington - University of Saint Paul - Philadelphia Hornets 
5th- WR Matt Wells - Texas University - San Francisco Whales 

Other Notable Picks:
7th- WR Eli Grant - Florida University - Chicago Zephyrs
8th- QB Patrick James - Indiana Lafayette University - Seattle Lumberjacks
11th- WR Jonathan Ferguson - Missouri University - Baltimore Bulldogs
23rd- OLB Jim Williams - University of Massachusetts - Los Angeles Tigers
26th- TE Rusty Crabtree - University of New Orleans - Minneapolis Blue Ox  

Notable Trades:
-Los Angeles trades DT Will Oatwell to Cleveland for the 3rd pick.
-Los Angeles trades up in the second round, swaps their 23rd pick and a later round pick for Cleveland’s 16th.  

Roster Changes:
-Barbarians deal WR Walter O'Reilly and RB Joshua Barlow to Cleveland for RB Chuck Boston, WR Jose Pollard, and picks. This seems like a good trade on both sides. Cleveland is getting O’Reily who’s a valuable vet, but the main part of this trade on both sides is Barlow, he’s a young upcoming star in the league and Cleveland paid a pretty penny for him. He was the last big piece of the Ironmen era and wanted out of Milwaukee, and so they got a good return for him. Boston has bounced around the past couple years but is an above average RB and Pollard is a young WR who’s also shown potential. Cleveland tried to get rid of both these guys in the season but finally got a good exchange for them here.
-Whales trade RB Rob Dimitroff for RB Jack Dorsey from the Pirates. This isn’t too monumental of a trade. The Whales made space for RB Sid Snell, their 2nd year running back they spent the second pick on last offseason and the Pirates upgrade from the older Dorsey in an attempt to pair him with young RB Chester Lindsey. 
-Cannons trade QB Jim Sandusky and WR David Rossi to Seattle for QB Micheal Bauer, WR Jim Churchwell and picks. This was the biggest move this offseason for both leagues. New York is one year removed from a Champions Bowl but Sandusky has struggled to stay afloat in the Big Apple since his rookie year. After getting bounced in the Wildcard in a disappointing performance, the Cannons decided it was time to actually retool the offense before they waste the defense’s prime. QB Micheal Bauer is a project but shows some flashes of greatness and Seattle wanted him off their hands after drafting QB Patrick James. Churchwell is a minor upgrade over Rossi at best but in reality this was just filler to get the QB swap done. 

Coaching Changes:
-New York fired OC David Lindberg. His replacement is John Randall. Lindberg’s taken most of the blame for the offense’s failure to compete. Despite not long removed from a Champions Bowl win, the Cannons offense has ranked mid to low in power rankings constantly over the past decade and something had to change. Hopefully Randall can help make the necessary changes to put this team back in Champions Bowl contention. 

League News:
-San Francisco Whales buy complete ownership of Redwoods Stadium from San Francisco University and agree to plans that would renovate the stadium and extend capacity from the current 42,000 to  58,900. This renovation is to occur throughout the fall and the team will play the season at Rodham Ballpark, the stadium for the local baseball team. The stadium will change names as well, being called the Whales Stadium. 

Preseason Power Rankings:
1.Boston Gaels
2.Los Angeles Tigers
3.Minneapolis Blue Ox
4.Baltimore Bulldogs
5.New York Cannons
6.Washington Pirates
7.Philadelphia Hornets
8.Seattle Lumberjacks
9.Chicago Zephyrs
10.Detroit Bombers
11.Cleveland Rangers
12.Milwaukee Barbarians
13.San Francisco Whales

C&C Appreciated, it was a bit quieter of a summer in comparison to last year so let me know how you think your team did!

7/24/2020 4:52 pm  #476

Gaels and tigers rematch for the champions bowl.

7/25/2020 6:50 pm  #477

Cardiac Cardinal wrote:

Gaels and Blue Ox in champions bowl.

I think so.

7/25/2020 7:10 pm  #478

Boston vs Minneapolis for Championship.

7/25/2020 7:49 pm  #479

Anyone have any other comments besides predictions?

7/26/2020 12:02 pm  #480

1965 SFL Offseason 

SFL Draft:
-Coming into the SFL’s first rookie draft, many people were excited. The board was extremely deep and talented, one of the best classes since the NFA’s First Annual Draft in 1950. Three of the top 10 players also were natives of areas where SFL teams are now located, that being DE Dave Terry, from Houston, TX, QB Ron Murray, from the Dallas area, and WR Matt Wells, from Baton Rouge, LA. If the SFL managed to steal just a couple top players from the NFA, it could really springboard them into a bigger threat to the NFA’s near monopoly over professional football. However, the SFL wouldn’t get any of those big names. Instead the most notable picks they got were DE James Ford, selected first overall by Houston,  DT Rollie Patterson, who was drafted by Miami with the 4th pick, and TE Rob Tatum, selected by Atlanta with 5th pick. 

Roster Changes:
-Outside of the draft, the offseason was mostly quiet, a lot of the players had signed contracts longer than one year. The two most notable moves was TE Flaherty not resigning with Birmingham and instead signing with Texas, only making that team stronger.
-Other moves included WR Joseph Armstrong signing with Miami, the third year player joins a young and very promising team over resigning with the lackluster Revelers. Although New Orleans lost Armstrong, they did pick up WR John Davidson who got little playing time last year with Birmingham. 

-Finally, Birmingham continued losing pieces when CB John Walker retired. Walker was one of the best in his possession and led some of the best pass defenses in the NFA during his stay there. He was drafted to Philadelphia and won the 1952 MOR award, becoming the first defensive player to do so. He would win 2 Champions Bowl with the Hornets and appear in a total of 6 Bowls, winning just those 2.  

League News:
-The SFL board of owners and Commissioner Kennedy would agree to a 5 year contract with ABC that would air their games on T.V. Inside of the deal were some important details as well. One of which being that ABC and the SFL will introduce moving, on field cameras and will mic up players. The SFL would also agree to print players' names on the back of jerseys to make it easier to tell who is who on TV, this was also done in hopes it would bring more attention to the league and more publicity to it’s players.
-The controversy over the league logo also continued, many people made requests for the league to adopt a more appropriate logo but those requests fell to deaf ears when the board of owners and Commissioner Kennedy all declined to comment on the situation. Apparently ABC even requested a change throughout the deal negotiating process but it would eventually be dropped. Although every team did agree to drop the logo from the uniforms as supposedly to minimize it’s appearance on TV. 

Identity Changes:
-All 6 SFL teams add player names to the back of their jerseys.

C&C Appreciated!

Board footera