Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2020 4:39 pm  #461

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Will LA become the buffalo Bills of  this timeline

7/15/2020 9:08 pm  #462

ZO82 wrote:

They actually used to play in buffalo.

7/15/2020 9:12 pm  #463

GoRedSox96 wrote:

ZO82 wrote:

IDK. But sadly for you, the Zephyrs reign of terror over the league is over and i have a feeling the Redbacks of Dashball's will be too. So switch your favorites soon. 

As a Saints Fan, I don't switch teams

7/16/2020 5:33 pm  #464

1964 SFL Season
In the first ever SFL season the Roughriders dominated. Led by mostly NFA players, they were a head and shoulders above everyone else. QB Pete Blair took home the MVP award and DE Robert Fox took home Defensive MVP, all while their head coach, Thomas Woods took home Coach of the Year awards. 
In second place were the Copperheads. Much like Texas, Atlanta had a handful of former NFA players which fueled their defense. Former Ironmen DT Bob Daniels and S Rocco Johnson helped shut down their opponents, leading to the second lowest points allowed in the league. Their offense however was a bit younger and made some mistakes, which led to both loses. 
In third were the Stingrays. The Stingrays are a bit of a surprise, with the least amount of NFA players, it was expected they’d struggle to compete, but thanks to RB Elijah Boone, Miami managed a .500 record, finishing in third place. Outside of him though the team was bad, like expected. Rookie QB Joshua George showed some potential, and the receivers could’ve been worse, but the defense was lackluster at best, the worst in the league. All of their games were either shootouts or shutouts.
In fourth were the Revelers. New Orleans was led by QB Ryle Hanson. Hanson was hoped to be able to shake off his bad years in Cleveland and the NFA with a new breath of fresh air in the Bayou, but nothing much changed. The offense stunk and the defense was passable at best. 
In next to last place were the Anvils. This is scary. Birmingham is the smallest city in this league, and it showed. They had the lowest attendance out of all the teams, and their on field performance wasn’t much better. The defense was expected to be better but battled immaturity and injuries around every corner. Hopefully the play improves, rookie QB Mack Dixon, who actually chose the SFL over the NFA showed a lot of potential, and hopefully with age and less injuries he can pull this team out of the basement before it's too late and the young team has to relocate.
At the bottom of the standings was Houston. Houston wasn’t impressive, their roster didn’t seem to be going into the season to begin with, but some of the younger pieces showed some talent to be potential cornerstones of the franchise. 

Standings:
1.Texas Roughriders: 9-1
2.Atlanta Copperheads: 8-2
3.Miami Stingrays: 5-5
4.New Orleans Revelers: 3-6-1
5.Birmingham Anvils: 3-6-1
6.Houston Explorers: 1-9 

Most Valuable Player: QB Pete Blair - TEX
Offensive Rookie of the Year - RB Elijah Boone - MIA
Defensive Rookie of the Year - DE Ted Brewer - MIA 
Most Valuable Defender - DE Robert Fox - TEX
Coach of the Year - Thomas Woods - TEX

C&C Appreciated, how do you think the first SFL season go?

7/16/2020 9:27 pm  #465

I’d just give those other two cities you mentioned expansion teams,

7/17/2020 11:02 am  #466

GoRedSox96 wrote:

It did not go well for the Revelers. Maybe Birmingham could go to Charlotte or Tampa or Something? Pittsburgh even? They could keep the name.

Too early to start moving teams after the first season.  Give it 3 years then let's talk about relocation and merger.

Last edited by ZO82 (7/17/2020 11:03 am)

7/17/2020 11:17 am  #467

ZO82 wrote:

GoRedSox96 wrote:

It did not go well for the Revelers. Maybe Birmingham could go to Charlotte or Tampa or Something? Pittsburgh even? They could keep the name.

Too early to start moving teams after the first season.  Give it 3 years then let's talk about relocation and merger.

Yeah thankfully it seems like none of the teams are going to relocating just yet, give it another season and see if Birmingham can turn things around a bit. Although, the SFL is disappointed by lack of interest in the Anvils, Birmingham was, and the league won't admit it, a definite high risk location to put a team and may backfire for them in the near future.
For right now though, let's shift attention to the first American Bowl!

1964 American Bowl - Texas Roughriders vs Atlanta Copperheads 

The first ever American Bowl took place on December 27th, 1964, in Miami, FL. Entering the game, the Roughriders were heavy favorites. Led by MVP QB Pete Blair and a star studded crew, the Copperheads had a bit of an uphill climb if they wanted to win this one, but it seems like they might surmount that as the first quarter started up.Leading off the game, the Copperheads started on offense and made Texas look like a team of boys with a fantastic offensive display. They would quickly take a 7-0 lead halfway through the quarter. Texas would retaliate by getting down the field themselves. They would make it all the way to the 13 before Atlanta finally stopped them. They would miss the field goal though and send us into quarter 2 at a 7-0 score, Copperheads leading.
The second quarter was a bit less impressive than the first. Both teams’ offenses would slow down and be forced to punt. Following up that pair of punts, QB Jaden Clifford would through a pick to give the possession back to Texas, and t the end of the quarter Atlanta would finally cave in and Texas would tie the score at 7 a piece. QB Pete Blair going perfect on pass attempts that drive.
The second half started up with Texas continuing the trample of the Copperheads talented defense that they started the drive before. Blair would carry his team all the way down the field, and hand it off to RB William Green for the lead stealing score. Atlanta would also manage to slip through their opponents defense. Whittling down the Riders defense until they would tie things back up again. 
Now tied up at 14 going into the fourth, Texas started their next drive with full effort and scored a field goal quickly. They would then follow this up with a pick six, S Rocco Johnson collecting his second INT of the game and Clifford digging his team’s deficit even deeper. Atlanta would fail to find a comeback and Texas would come home the winners of the first American Bowl. The final score was 24-14 and Blair got the MVP award for the game. 

C&C Appreciated!

7/17/2020 12:03 pm  #468

Solid first season for the SFL!
I would just say with the final graphic, I had to do a double take on the score as the "Atlanta Copperheads vs Texas Roughriders" line was opposite the helmets and the score which just messed with my head, so flipping the names would cause less confusion. 

7/17/2020 12:18 pm  #469

Let me guess, but i bet Louisville will get an self team soon.

7/17/2020 5:43 pm  #470

Cardiac Cardinal wrote:

What a first season for Texas! Now we want Boston for the undisputed champion of pro football

Not sure if you're implying that the Riders will play the Gaels, but much like the AFL was originally with the NFL, although I don't think the SFL is quite on the level of the AFL, the two leagues have no on field interactions. The two leagues are pretty separate from each other. So no Gaels v Riders game unfortunately. I would imagine the Gaels would win quite easily though if they did play, the talent difference between the two leagues, outside of a few stars is pretty significant.

Wallflower wrote:

Solid first season for the SFL!
I would just say with the final graphic, I had to do a double take on the score as the "Atlanta Copperheads vs Texas Roughriders" line was opposite the helmets and the score which just messed with my head, so flipping the names would cause less confusion. 

Yeah I can see that, I'll have it the other way around for the next American Bowl. Thanks for the input!

Board footera