Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2021 6:53 pm  #1011

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Louisiana Hurricanes:

Primary: Purple
Secondary: Cerulean
Tertiary: Gunmetal

Kansas City Shockers:

Primary: Dark Tan
Secondary: Gold
Tertiary: White

Portland Stags:

Primary: Black
Secondary: Rose Red
Tertiary: Forest Green

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

6/13/2021 1:22 pm  #1012

Do any NFA teams have mascots as of now?

6/23/2021 8:02 pm  #1013

Well folks, if you haven’t already been able to tell, this is on a bit of a hiatus. I can’t quite say I have a real timeline of when to expect this to come back. I have the expansion teams done and most of the write ups done for the next couple years in universe. However I still have graphics to make, but recently I’ve both internet and computer issues, which have been a pain in the side. Plus I’ve just been generally busy and life. All this combined has made it hard to find some motivation to work on this. So for right now I’m kind of taking it a day at a time and seeing how I feel about it.
I’ve actually done some work on potentially restarting the whole project. Only because I think my quality in write ups, storytelling, graphics, designs, etc, even my behind the scenes organizing has all improved drastically and I want to go back and retell the 40’s and 50’s with the same quality of the late 60’s and 70’s. If I did this the story would most likely change, not by a whole lot, the biggest change being I’d start in 1941 at the end of the original NFA, and go from there, instead of on 1946 at the reformation of the NFA. The NFA would still form of course, it would just be more explained and written out. I’m not sure however as it’s all still just an idea.

But to summarize, this is going to be on hiatus for a little bit unfortunately. I hope everyone can understand. Thanks for all the support for the series!

6/23/2021 10:18 pm  #1014

I am disappointed but take your time and come back stronger!

6/24/2021 11:31 am  #1015

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Well folks, if you haven’t already been able to tell, this is on a bit of a hiatus. I can’t quite say I have a real timeline of when to expect this to come back. I have the expansion teams done and most of the write ups done for the next couple years in universe. However I still have graphics to make, but recently I’ve both internet and computer issues, which have been a pain in the side. Plus I’ve just been generally busy and life. All this combined has made it hard to find some motivation to work on this. So for right now I’m kind of taking it a day at a time and seeing how I feel about it.
I’ve actually done some work on potentially restarting the whole project. Only because I think my quality in write ups, storytelling, graphics, designs, etc, even my behind the scenes organizing has all improved drastically and I want to go back and retell the 40’s and 50’s with the same quality of the late 60’s and 70’s. If I did this the story would most likely change, not by a whole lot, the biggest change being I’d start in 1941 at the end of the original NFA, and go from there, instead of on 1946 at the reformation of the NFA. The NFA would still form of course, it would just be more explained and written out. I’m not sure however as it’s all still just an idea.

But to summarize, this is going to be on hiatus for a little bit unfortunately. I hope everyone can understand. Thanks for all the support for the series!

Seriously though, take your time. I'll be here when you decide to come back one way or another. 

6/24/2021 1:03 pm  #1016

Well from someone who had desired re-starting a project in the past, I totally understand feeling this way. My best word of advice is simply, do whatever you are more inspired/motivated to do! Best of luck with what you decide to do, and we will be here to support!

6/28/2021 7:31 pm  #1017

Wallflower wrote:

Well from someone who had desired re-starting a project in the past, I totally understand feeling this way. My best word of advice is simply, do whatever you are more inspired/motivated to do! Best of luck with what you decide to do, and we will be here to support!

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one that’s felt this. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

Thanks to everyone else to for the continuing support on the project.

7/01/2021 10:43 pm  #1018

Well, that was a short hiatus, huh? I'm kind of still on the fence about what to do long term, however I have come to a "kick the can down the road" decision. For the time being I'm going to continue to post what I do have, which is up to the 1977 Champions Bowl. I've gone over some things, changed some behind the scenes stuff, again, and It's kind of brought some motivation back, plus just getting everything back to workin' fine in real life has been a lot of stress off my shoulders. There are some exciting stuff occurring over the next few seasons that I've been planning since last winter, namely the expansion, plus some exciting season results and it kind of sucks that it's taken so long to get to it, so I'm determined to post at least that. So, without further ado, the 1973-74 season!

1973-74 NFA Season:

Northeast:
It was quite the shake up in the Northeast this year. In shocking fashion, Washington and Philadelphia finally fell off, both finishing outside of the playoff for the first time in about a decade. Rising in their ashes were QB Skip Anderson and the Bulldogs. Atlanta, after finishing just outside the playoffs with a 7-7 record for 2 years straight, finally broke into the postseason and captured their first division title with a 10-4 record. They had one of the youngest teams in the league, and in the older veteran Northeast Division, they used it to their advantage. Anderson had his best year, and with help from offseason additions WR Gene Harris and RB Cyrus Duffy, it elevated the Bulldogs offense into one of the best in the league. Following the ‘Dogs were the Gaels, who were also led by a good young QB, John “Lucky” Charming. Lucky would be assisted by MOR award winning WR C.J. Gamble as they set the foundations for what looked like one of the most promising QB-WR duos in memory. New York would be last in the division, in what was legendary QB Kieth Lincoln’s official last season. He went 4-3 in the first half of the season but an injury sidelined him for the rest of the season. More will be said on his retirement during the next offseason.

North:
The North also had a little bit of a shakeup. Pittsburgh were still the run away champs but struggled a lot towards the end of the season. After going undefeated through the first 7, they would finish the second half of the season 3-4, all against what were relatively easier opponents then they faced in the first half of the season. Detroit took steps into the right direction and made their first playoff appearance since 1967. Cleveland surprisingly also improved, coming very close to a 7-7 record, if not for a missed field goal in the waning seconds against the Zephyrs that would’ve won them the game. In the basement of the league were the Barbarians and the mighty Zephyrs. Chicago, now over a decade removed from their run of greatness, have imprinted themselves in the basement, and for the first time since their founding have ended the season ranked last in either offense or defense. This year they were ranked 20th in defense. Milwaukee was slightly more impressive then the Zephyrs, but clearly also removed from their string of postseason appearances in the late 60’s.

South:
Unlike the North and Northeast, the South was a repeat of years past; tightly contested, and very talented. Cincy, Miami, Houston and Texas were all fighting for playoff spots, while St. Louis was looking to win more games then in years past. There were only so many spots available though. At the halfway point of the year, Houston was well in the lead, sitting at 5-2, while Miami was 4-3 and Cincy and Texas were both 3-4. St. Louis had only won 1 game. But as the season came to a close, the race would tighten significantly. Unlike the end of last season, Cincinnati would come alive down the stretch, winning their last 6. They weren’t the only ones though, Texas would also improve, putting together a 3 win streak of their own while Miami would win 4. Houston though, would slip apart. After an impressive 5-2 start that had them tied for the second best record in the league, the Explorers would lose 3 in a row and then one more to end the season tied with Miami and fighting and hoping for a spot in the playoffs. By the time the season would end across the league, and the dust had settled, only 2 teams would make it. Cincinnati, after an impressive end to the season, would capture their first division title with a 9-5 record. Houston, thanks to winning both matchups against Miami, would also slip in, leaving the Rays and Riders on the outside looking in.

West:
Finally out west we’d see Colorado achieve new heights and make the postseason for a second year in a row besides their division rivals Los Angeles Tigers. QB Lloyd Brown would win his second MVP and cruise into the postseason winning 7 of his last 8. LA would finish with 10 wins yet again, for the third season in a row. San Francisco would finally fall out of the postseason after a solid 6 year streak. Also on the outside looking in are the Blue Ox, who seemingly always just  miss the postseason. They’ve been predicted to be looking into shaking things up on the offense, as that’s where some struggle came from this season. QB Frank Taylor wasn’t pitiful, but definitely isn’t turning into the postseason contender they had hoped. The defense is still strong though so hopefully with some tweaks this offseason, the Blue Ox could finally get the needed push they need to win their first playoff game. Finally, Seattle. As their geographical rival is fighting to get a bid for an expansion team, the Lumberjacks are fighting to just stay in Seattle. It’s a nightmare situation for both the Lumberjacks and the NFA. After they confidently boasted how well the state of the league has been in since the Baltimore Bulldogs fiasco, which was seemingly a conclusion to the string of relocations in the 60’s, this comes along. They were just talking about how competitive the league has been in recent years, so much so that it required an expansion to better distribute talent, but now they are facing another potential selling of a team. The Lumberjacks, frankly, have never been good, and owner Anthony Knox has come out and said he’s fed up, on the brink of bankruptcy, and wanting to sell the team. The city’s also upset with the team, who’s lease for the Emerald City Stadium finishes in 1975, and isn’t willing to extend it. Not much else is known, but the NFA is actively trying to hide any news that comes out about it, so who knows what else will come out before any resolution occurs. 

C&C Appreciated! How'd your team do? Post your predictions for the playoffs!

7/01/2021 11:18 pm  #1019

Sad to see Cleveland just barely miss going .500 but oh well, maybe next year. Hopefully Seattle can find a way to stay in their city and turn things around. As for the playoffs, Colorado should be able to take care of business against Boston, but the Gaels should be a force in the near future. Atlanta vs Cincinnati could go either way, but I have to go with the hometown team in this one but it should be close. LA vs Houston will also be close and although the Explorers will make it a game, I just can't see the Tigers losing in this one. Finally, Pittsburgh and Detroit. If the Ironmen choke this one, I don't know what to think about them going forward since Detroit is just getting good again.

Edit: Welcome back DP, these next few seasons should be exciting!

Last edited by Rugrat (7/02/2021 8:59 am)

7/02/2021 8:55 am  #1020

Welcome back!  

This year seems like an interesting one, lots of potential for quite a few teams to be able to make a run.

Atlanta would be quite a shocker, since they've never really been that good of a team until recently, but I think they might be another year away still.   Still much closer than the Seattle Lumberjacks, who might never make it now if they're possibly going to move soon.  Well, they'd eventually make it, but as a different team in a new city.

Realistically, it'll probably be the Cougars and Tigers competing in "Kitty Bowl II", going Tigers for the win this time!

Board footera