Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2021 10:54 am  #201

Re: All-American Association Football League

Western Regional Division 1912-1913

In the Western Regional Division, the newly renamed San Diego Golden Hillsiders claimed their second division title, edging out the San Francisco Barbary Pirates by a single point.

Despite all the oil money poured into the Pumpjacks, the new Los Angeles team finished a disappointed second from the bottom.  Owner Emma Summers vowed that the team would be a contender next season.

1/19/2021 2:27 pm  #202

American Football Association Cup 1913

Upsets were the trend in the latest edition of the American Football Association Cup.  Many Ultimate Division squads, including the division champions New York Fomorians, fell in the first round.  This led to opportunities for many lower division squads to advance.  Baltimore Chimney Swifts were the only Ultimate Division club to reach the final four.  Two Penultimate sides – Old Nassau 1869 and Richmond Railers – made it to the semifinals where they were joined by Mid-American team Waukesha Town 1866.

In the first semifinal, the Penultimate Division champion Old Nassau 1869 hosted the two-time AFA Cup champion Chimney Swifts (1901, 1908).  The lads from Princeton, NJ, were eager to prove that they once again belonged with the big boys.   In addition, it featured a sibling rivalry between Will Blevins of Old Nassau and Bennett Blevins of Baltimore.  A goal by Will Blevins from Hoover in the 22nd minute put Old Nassau up, but the Chimney Swifts struck back quickly with goals by Bennett Blevins and Jackson Edwards in the 28th and 30th respectively.  Just as quickly, Hoover drew the game even with a penalty kick in the 31st.  Early in the 2nd half, Adan Johnson found himself unmarked on a corner kick and headed home an uncontested winner in the 47th minute.

In the second semifinal, Waukesha Town had high hopes of advancing after Erick Shephard hit a bomb from 40 yards in the 37th that befuddled Richmond goalkeeper Chase Faulkner.  The lead held up until halftime.  In the second half, the Railers came out like a runaway freight train and pounded the Waukesha goal.  Within a dozen minutes, Richmond posted 3 goals from Madden, Stanton, and Bauer.  After that, there was no hope for Waukesha Town.

The AFA Final was played at Princeton University’s Palmer Stadium, home of Old Nassau 1869.  With a sea of orange and black support, the hosts looked to add to the Penultimate Division title.  Richond had other ideas, and in the 10th minute, Zavier Madden took a 30-yard free kick that deflected off the crossbar and then off the back of Nassau goalkeeper Atticus Roth for the opening goal.  Old Nassau was undaunted and got the equalizer from Greyson Bartlett who raced through the Railer defense and slotted the ball past Faulkner in the 22nd minute.  Bartlett did it again 11 minutes later, much to the delight of the local fans.  The team spent so much time celebrating that the referee allowed Richmond to kick off while the Old Nassau players were still reveling with the crowd.   Madden pushed the ball into an empty goal for the equalizer.   Landon Frank put the Railers ahead with his head, knocking in a long cross from Madden in the 38th minute.

As the halftime whistle blew with Richmond leading 3-2, Old Nassau players and fans were unrelenting in their criticism of the referee.  However, the goal stood.  After halftime, the crowd’s displeasure dissipated as Old Nassau came out playing sparkling football. It only took 3 minutes for the brilliance to pay off as a double pass combination between Adan Johnson and Will Blevins put the latter free on goal where he deftly beat Faulkner for the equalizer.  Old Nassau continued to dazzle the crowd and their opponents with nifty passing.  In the 57th minute, play on the right side drew the Railer defense that way.  In doing so, they lost track of Gil Costigan, whom Blevins found with a quick diagonal ball.  Costigan dribbled around Faulkner for the game winning goal. 

1/19/2021 3:53 pm  #203

I'm not sure what it is, but the wordmarks look blurry on everything except the poster.

1/19/2021 6:28 pm  #204

sportsfan7 wrote:

I'm not sure what it is, but the wordmarks look blurry on everything except the poster.

Yeah, I'm seeing that too...but I did see that Ann Arbor did so well, top 8 is very good for not being a top tier team!  Great to see!

1/19/2021 7:42 pm  #205

sportsfan7 wrote:

I'm not sure what went wrong when I captured the images.  I'll be more careful about that next season.

1/20/2021 3:30 pm  #206

Columbia Challenge Cup 1913

The New York Fomorians, Ultimate Division champion, and Old Nassau 1869, American Football Association Cup champion (as well as Penultimate Division champion) traveled to San Diego to take on the Western Division champion San Diego Golden Hillsiders and runner-up San Francisco Barbary Pirates.  The Fomorians had a surprisingly close match against San Francisco, eking out a 4:3 victory.  Old Nassau 1869, on the other hand, dominated the host Golden Hillsiders in a 3:0 triumph.

In the final, Old Nassau served up an exclamation point on their extraordinary season with a 3:2 victory.  The Old Nassau defense bottled up Golden Boot winner Giovanni Gil, holding him to one assist and forcing him time and again to get rid of the ball quicker than he would have wanted.  Will Blevins was the hero of the day for the Orange and Black with a hat trick.  He netted the game winner with five minutes remaining, outpacing a bedraggled Fomorian defense.

With the triumph, Old Nassau added a third number to their title banner for the season – Penultimate Division, AFA Cup, and now Columbia Challenge Cup.

Last edited by Goldengoose05 (1/20/2021 3:31 pm)

1/20/2021 4:02 pm  #207

Any plans for teams to adopt more conventional and/or European names?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

1/20/2021 4:20 pm  #208

Sectional Divisions 1912-1913

The two Atlantic Sectional Division winners to win playoff matches and earn promotion to the Eastern Regional Division were United Mancunians of Manchester, New Hampshire, and Norfolk Ironclads of Virginia.

The two Midwest Sectional Division winners to win playoff matches and earn promotion to the Mid-American Regional Division were Sioux City Stalkers of Iowa and Racine Danskere of Wisconsin.

1/20/2021 4:29 pm  #209

ThisIsFine wrote:

Any plans for teams to adopt more conventional and/or European names?

Some of teams already have European style names.  For the others, I like the challenge (and the research) of trying to come up with names that relate to the city and that haven't been used (as far as I know) for a sports team before.

1/25/2021 10:07 pm  #210

I took the magazine logo from an old American Football magazine that was published from the 1930s to the early 1950s.

Board footera