Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2019 8:07 pm  #1

All-American Association Football League

In 1894, Arthur Irwin hatched the idea the idea for the baseball clubs of the National League to field association football teams.  His rationale was to provide an activity for the baseball players in their offseason.  The owners latched onto the idea as way to get more revenue out of their stadiums.  Thus, the American League of Professional Football was born. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_League_of_Professional_Football)

Six clubs participated in that initial, incomplete season.   Lack of attendance, investigations by the U.S. Treasury Department into the importation of British players, and the threat of a new baseball league caused a number of the owners to end the league.  But what if it had continued?

In an alternate 1895, League President Arthur Irwin negotiated a settlement with the Treasury Department, allowing the imported British players to continue to play.  After examining the gate receipts, Irwin discovered that midweek games drew the worst attendance.  Weekend games were the ones that the middle-class audience flocked to.  Bringing this information to the owners brought about a change of heart.  The remaining teams of the National League were convinced to field association football teams as well, all except Cleveland.  Irwin came up with a new name for the league as well.  The new league would operate under the name of the All-American Association Football League.

8/23/2019 5:37 am  #2

Re: All-American Association Football League

Oh cool!  I had enjoyed this series from the other site!  Welcome back!

8/23/2019 9:26 am  #3

Has hoping this story comes to this site

8/23/2019 8:55 pm  #4

Glad to see this is back

8/24/2019 1:34 am  #5

The amount that is going on in this series always confused me when I was trying to keep up in its previous run, but I really want to try again! Happy to have you here, a lot of positivity, a lot of collaboration and a lot of fun.

8/24/2019 1:07 pm  #6

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

The amount that is going on in this series always confused me when I was trying to keep up in its previous run, but I really want to try again! Happy to have you here, a lot of positivity, a lot of collaboration and a lot of fun.

I agree, it also starts so long ago, which is realistic, but just takes a long time to get to more modern days.

May or may not be a Celtics fan after July 1st

8/24/2019 7:49 pm  #7

Hey, this is Matthew24 from SportsLogo. Finally glad to see this story return online. Can't wait to read the series again. 

8/26/2019 5:57 pm  #8

It's good to be back.  I was out of commission after getting hit by a car when the Fan Fiction board went down.  I'm healthy again and happy to be back here.

I see that I need to update some of the earliest kits to my standard format.  I'll post those as I update them, and then I'll get to reposting.  Then on to new territory.

8/26/2019 6:05 pm  #9

Boston Shipwrights
Owner: Arthur Soden, Boston Braves   
Home Field: South End Grounds
Coach: Clifton Dorsett

8/26/2019 6:12 pm  #10

Baltimore Chimney Swifts
Owner: Harry Van Der Horst, Baltimore Orioles
Home Field: Union Park
Coach: A.W. Stewart