Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2019 6:02 pm  #1

XFL reveals new team names, logos

So the XFL revealed their new team names and logos today... and they're, uh, interesting. What do y'all think?

[img]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--A_bHdxf5--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/cejgdrzsezljghl6v1sl.png[/img]

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/21/2019 7:48 pm  #2

Re: XFL reveals new team names, logos

They're alright. They could certainly worse even if they are a bit generic.

The Guardians logo having red teeth is off-putting. I like the Dragons logo, but it does look quite a bit similar to UAB.

8/22/2019 10:36 am  #3

~Bear wrote:

They're alright. They could certainly worse even if they are a bit generic.

The Guardians logo having red teeth is off-putting. I like the Dragons logo, but it does look quite a bit similar to UAB.

The Renegades logo having red eyes is something I'm not sure about. From these logos, I like the Guardians. It's a good design, and if it carries over the way I expect, I anticipate dark gray uniforms with just a bit of red accents.

I saw somewhere (I can't find it for the life of me now) that LA has a claw secondary, which makes that LA logo much more cohesive with the look. And I like the BattleHawks logo, but hate the name. This iteration of the XFL seems to be trying to get away from the outlandish names/looks/gimmicks of the original XFL, and BattleHawks is a pretty outlandish name, in my opinion.

I don't think DC is a hit. The logo doesn't look like a football logo, it doesn't feel football. Houston and Seattle are perfectly acceptable logos that look very similar to other logos (Houston with the Oilers and Seattle with UAB). I get that there aren't too many ways to draw an oil derrick, but there's no excuse for the similarities between the Dragons and UAB.

Tampa is such a bland logo. There can be so much creativity regarding the Viper that what they put out is just "blah".

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/22/2019 7:59 pm  #4

I actually am very pleasantly surprised by the quality of these logos (of course, I DID expect total garbage, so it's not like the bar was set high)...

Dallas Renegades: Logo's okay, doesn't really stink, but isn't special either.  I'm going by the wording to predict the color schemes here, so I could be wrong, but with Dallas being in light blue and Renegades being in black, I predict a light blue/black combo, which could be potentially very nice (if the main color is light blue). 

Houston Roughnecks: Not feeling the Roughnecks name, but the logo is fine.  I do like how they totally stole the Houston Oiler's oil derrick and then just stuck a H in front of it.  Pretty bold move.  That being said, going by the colors of the team name, of COURSE we get a navy/red team  (not like there's a million other teams with that color combo already .....which would be similar to the Houston Texans.   Predicting their main color to be red to avoid looking too alike.

LA Wildcats: Generic logo, but the letters are stylized nicely.  Out of all the possible ways to put out a "LA" logo, this is one of the better designs they could have went with.  I actually like it.  I REALLY love the red/orange color scheme.  Definitely gives me a Tampa Bay Buccaneers cream-sickle feel to it, and I did love that jersey!  Main color should be orange for sure!

New York Guardians:  I think this is the best one.  While the red teeth is a strange, morbid, idea, I love the gargoyle motive they're presenting.  It's dark, intimidating, perfect for a gothic New York theme, especially with the black, silver, and red color combination.  Black likely being the primary color for this one.  Might be my favorite team for all these reasons.

St. Louis BattleHawks:  Not sure why Hawks wasn't good enough for this team, but BattleHawks isn't the worst team name ever.  Too bad their logo isn't effective.   While it's nice, I feel it belongs more in a Legend of Zelda game then it does a professional football team.  I'm guessing a blue and silver color combo.

Seattle Dragons: It's already been said, but yeah, this logo totally ripped off UAB... and it's an inferior rip off too.   I love the name Dragons for a team, but I'm not sold on the logo.  Going by the lettering, we would actually get a Navy/Orange combo... not what I'd guess but it would be different and I like navy/orange team combos.

Tampa Bay Vipers:  While the logo looks cooler with a black background (looks a bit like a snake eye), it's still just a V... Nothing more to report.  Green and yellow is a great color combination though, so I look forward to seeing the jerseys!

DC Defenders:  Very boring and doesn't look at all like a football team. Red and white makes sense for a color combination and it's not the obvious red, white, and blue scheme.  Still, pretty lackluster.

8/22/2019 11:17 pm  #5

The wildcats logo is fairly good.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

Board footera