Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2020 7:06 pm  #71

Re: North American Markball League: INDEFINITE HIATUS

Wow what a third quarter Bandits, I really thought Philly was going to win. *insert "they had us in the first half" gif*
Expansion's always exciting, is Cincy going to get shown any love?

5/26/2020 3:20 pm  #72

Hey everyone! Unfortunately, posts for the NAML will most likely be this far apart in length because of school and other things. I should be back on track by July at the latest though,

Rugrat wrote:

Congrats to the Bandits! What cities will we see for expansion? (Hoping my home area of Seattle is in consideration)  

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Expansion's always exciting, is Cincy going to get shown any love?

The biggest issue the league is trying to satisfy with expansion is travel. California and LA are basically out there by themselves, and they've told the league travel is hurting them financially. No specific cities have been mentioned yet, but based on what the league wants, they'd seem like a good option. Cincy is a possibility, and will most likely place a bid, but they might have better luck during the next expansion round.

1973 NAML Offseason

'KEEPERS SWITCH UP COLOUR SCHEME

The St. Louis Gatekeepers unveiled a colour scheme switch early in the offseason, much to the surprise of their fans. "With colour television quickly becoming a household item, we have decided to brighten up our look, as well as become more oriented towards the great city of St. Louis." Owner Bernie Hampont stated. The 'Keepers new colours sees the old maroon and navy blue replaced with red and a brighter blue. Yellow accents were also added throughout the uniforms.

PAULIES MAKE SUBTLE TWEAK TO HOME JERSEY

The Montreal Évêques made an extremely subtle change to their home jersey, slightly widening the back numbers so that they could have a "higher visibility and success" according to owner Jean Marceau, who was known for being a little crazy amongst league executives. The As the change was small, there was no unveiling ceremony for them as that would have been "A huge waste of time and sanity". (Not posting a graphic for this as the change was so small you wouldn't really be able to see it, that's the kind of crazy that Marceau is)

WARRIORS, WALLEYE MAKE TRADE

The Washington Warriors, desperate for another title run as Jim Gardenar's career was quickly moving forward, made a big trade with the Minnesota Walleye midway through the offseason. The Warriors acquired forward James Burler in exchange for a first round pick and young forward Shawn Agots. Burler was known for being a clutch performer with the Walleye, while Agots had shown promise during his first season. Burler was also raised in Baltimore, meaning he could be in front of family and friends while he played. 

WALLEYE LEGENDS ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT

Two of the Minnesota Walleye's all-time greats, Chris Garafalo and Edouard Wallace, announced their retirements during the offseason. Garfalo was the driving force behind the Walleye's offence and two titles in 1970 and 71, and finished in 8th place of the league's all time goalscoring list. Wallace was Minnesota's #1 keeper from day one, and was also a huge part of the Walleye's back-to-back Cup victories. The team announced that both players would be honoured in 1974, with speculation they could be the first players in the league to have their numbers retired.

1973 NAML DRAFT HELD
Experts weren't too high on most of the 1973 draft class, but nevertheless, the 1973 draft took place in December at the Chicago Theatre. #1 Selection George Nab was projected to be one of the game's premier defensive forwards, with average offensive ability. The 12th selection, Wayne Selguy, became the first Indigenous player to be selected in the NAML draft.

1. California - George Nab, F
2. Cleveland - Peter Sved, WB
3. Chicago -  John Benbow, FB
4. New York - David Delkaik, W
5. St. Louis - Stephen Levine, CB
6. Miami - Anthony Sidyss, C
7. Houston - Max Lazarovic, FF
8. Los Angeles - Anselm Lynn, FB
9. Boston - Sam Blair, WB
10. Minnesota - Victor Kesrie, WF
11. Montreal - Doug Murphy, GK
12. Michigan - Wayne Selguy, W
13. Toronto - Andrew Baumgarten, WB
14. Milwaukee - Ron Aspley, F
15. Washington - Otto Paulis, WB
16. Philadelphia - Andy Peltin, F

If anyone wants a sig or something else, let me know down below!

5/26/2020 3:58 pm  #73

Don't sweat it, school and stuff comes first and I can hope most people understand that. It's a bit of a shame Cincy may not get a team this time round, but it makes sense that another west coast team would get that spot instead. I'll be interested in seeing if Portland makes a bid, it's 3 years past the Blazers being founded irl, and were approaching the Timbers first season, so placing a team there would make sense. 
Finally, wow the Gatekeepers look is amazing! Big Barça vibes, was that what you were going for?

5/27/2020 3:14 pm  #74

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

I'll be interested in seeing if Portland makes a bid, it's 3 years past the Blazers being founded irl, and were approaching the Timbers first season, so placing a team there would make sense. 
Finally, wow the Gatekeepers look is amazing! Big Barça vibes, was that what you were going for?

Portland is definitely a good candidate for expansion, I think it's an untapped market that could embrace markball as its primary sport. The expansion isn't up to me though, I'll be doing another expansion council when the time comes.

As for the 'Keepers, I honestly didn't realize how much they'd look like Barça until I made the jerseys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I had a good amount of free time today, so I simulated the 1974 season and did the writeup, which is what this post is. Don't expect the playoff posts to be made this quickly, as I doubt I'll have this much free time in the coming days.

1974 NAML Season
Week 1 Scores:
NY 43-30 TOR
MTL 48-41 BOS
PHI 18-35 WAS
MIA 43-41 CLE
MCH 43-40 STL
CHI 20-41 MIL
HOU 53-27 MIN
CAL 26-26 LA

Pacific Division:

- For the first time in franchise history, in their 13th season in the league, the Los Angeles Guardians finished on top of their division. This was mainly due to the amazing play of Oscar Madigan, who was starting to make his case for the next great player in the game. Madigan finished atop the league in goals, and won his second consecutive league MVP award. As well, rookie defender Anselm Lynn surprised many, playing incredibly well as a fullback. LA finished at 13-10-1.

- Coming in second were the Minnesota Walleye. They looked to be in the twilight of their contending years, but even though they lost Chris Garafalo and Edouard Wallace, the team still played as if they were playoff contenders. Calvin Black played amazingly for a 38-year old, and new addition Richard Henry broke out in the midfield. Minnesota finished at 13-11, 2 points back of LA.

- Finishing third were the previous season’s worst team, the California Quails. While they showed signs of promise all year, and were considered one of the most fun teams to watch, they just weren’t good enough to make the playoffs. Forward Gary Ayers, defenseman Robby Roosevelt, and goalie John Feeley-Collins all impressed, as well as #1 overall selection George Nab. Inconsistent spells hurt the Quails in the long run, as they finished 11-12-1.

- Coming in last in the Pacific were the Houston Comet. Much like California, they were an entertaining team to watch. Led by Joseph Erdem up front and Bill Nielson at the back, the Comet roared out to a 5-1 start. However it all fell apart over the next 12 weeks, as they lost 10 times. They couldn’t recover from that, and they finished the season at 10-14, still better than their record in 1973.

Central Division:
      - A huge surprise, coming first in the Central were the Chicago Crusaders, one season removed from an 8-16 record. Everything that went wrong in 1973 took a complete 180. Their team play was the best in the league, and the players responded well to coach Al Keyman. Despite not having any top-tier superstars on their team, they finished at 15-9. WF Jacob Olivus and rookie FB John Benbow were seen as the team’s best players during the season.

- One season removed from yet another title, the Michigan Bandits found themselves outside of the playoffs in 1974. Fans hoped that they could give living legend Hugh Westbrook another run at the cup, but they couldn’t get it done. Max Roulette and Jazzy Parraud lit it up at the front, while the perennially top-tier Bandit defense had arguably their worst year in franchise history. This led to a lot of lost games Michigan should have won. The Bandits finished at 12-12, 1 win out of the wild card spot.

- Another big surprise, the Milwaukee Dragons finished third in the Central, their first year missing the playoffs since 1969. Milwaukee, despite being seen as having some of the best play styles in the game, had a TERRIBLE goal accuracy. Their week 14 loss against Michigan where they kicked 3 goals and 14 points summed up their season. It was especially bad for Hugh Pettas, who only had 23% of his scores as goals. Milwaukee finished at 11-13.

- Coming in last were the St. Louis Gatekeepers, showing that new colour schemes don’t always equal success. Goalie Michael Hinton had a great year, but the outfield players couldn’t bail him out to save themselves. The sight of failed clearances turned into easy goals became as normal a sight in St. Louis as the Gateway Arch. It didn’t help that the ‘Keepers didn’t have any players in the top 40 in league goalscoring. St. Louis finished at 9-14-1 for the second straight year.

Northeast Division:
      - Another surprise, finishing first in the Northeast were the Boston Wolfhounds, their first division title in franchise history. This success was attributed to the fact that Boston finally had a competent offense to help their great defense, specifically second-year forwards Edward Pogaugh and Jack Hainalat, who both broke out, and seemed make the other forwards better too. All 5 starting forwards posted career highs in goals, as Boston finished at 13-9-2.

- In a season full of surprising finishes, the New York Knights decided they were tired of living in the basement, as they finished with their best record in franchise history, at 14-10. Phillip Cook, despite being on the older end of the spectrum, had one of his best seasons of his career, finishing 2nd in league in both goals and tackles. As well, goalie Joe Watson broke out, playing an unorthodox style that caught opponents off guard. This successful season saw Manhattan Stadium being filled for the first since since the mid 50’s for Knights games. New York clinched the Eastern wild card spot.

- Coming in third were the Montréal Évêques, just two seasons removed from a regular season title. This season, it was a Jekyll and Hyde situation for the Paulies. Against the Atlantic Division and the West, they were a force, winning 9 out of 12 games. However, when it came to inside their division, they were bent easily, winning only 3 intradivisional games. This was a huge blow to them in the playoff race, culminating in consecutive losses to New York and Boston late in the year. Montreal finished at 12-12.

- Coming in last, with the worst record in the league, were the Toronto Nationals. It was an unfortunate year for the Stallions, as almost every player had an off year. It seemed as if whenever anything went right for them, something even worse would happen right after. The one bright spot of the year was the fact that still won the St. Laurent Cup against Montréal. Their victories against the Paulies accounted for half of their total victories, as Toronto finished at 6-18.

Atlantic Division:
      - Finishing first in the Atlantic once again, as well as first in the league, were the Philadelphia Falcons. After their disappointing loss to Michigan in the Urquhart Cup final, they were hungry to get right back there. Their season wasn’t as dominant as the previous year, but they were still the league’s hardest team to play against, as they had strength in each position. Robert Stephens had his career best year, leading the team in goals for the first time. George Sovine also played very well, winning the best goalkeeper award. Philly finished at 16-8.

- Coming in second, but falling short of the wild card were the Miami Tortugas. Led by young star forward Justin Saukov, they had their best season yet, and remained in the playoff race until the last week. While they may not have made the playoffs, analysts around the league were extremely impressed with their play, and many predicted they would make the playoffs the following year. Miami finished at 12-10-2.

- Finishing third were the Washington Warriors. After the acquisition of James Burler to help boost offense, this was a very disappointing season. Jim Gardenar and Burler carried the team’s offense all year, but the supporting cast couldn’t play on that level, leading to the team falling flat when the front duo wasn’t playing. They still finished with a decent record, but that was largely due to Gardenar and Burler. Washington finished at 11-11-2.

- Finishing last in the Atlantic for the second straight year were the Cleveland Foresters. The team showed improvement, but they were still at a level much lower than the other teams in the division. Charles Jamison was reaching the twilight of his career, but he still played a big part of Cleveland’s successes. Rookie defender Peter Sved also had a good year, but the rest of the team struggled the same as the first two years. Cleveland finished at 9-14-1.

Rivalry Cup Winners:
Colonial Trophy: Washington (defeated Philadelphia 3-1 in season series)
St. Laurent Cup: Toronto (defeated Montréal 3-1 in season series)
I-94 Series: Milwaukee (defeated Chicago 3-1 in season series)

The 1973 NAML Awards were given to:
Chester Harland Award (League MVP): Oscar Madigan, FF, LA
Len Garey Memorial Trophy (Top Goalscorer): Oscar Madigan, FF, LA
Benjamin Legrand Award (Top Goalkeeper): George Sovine, PHI

Notable Events:
      - In a Week 8 game between Minnesota and Michigan, there was a brawl at the end of the game, which lasted for half an hour. In the end, 7 players and staff were suspended for multiple weeks, including Michigan head coach Bob Peterson.
      - Michigan’s Hugh Westbrook became the 5th player in NAML history to score 750 career goals. He achieved this feat on what was speculated to be his final game in the NAML, against Montreal.

5/27/2020 3:24 pm  #75

Happy to see the Walleye were able to stay in the playoff picture, time to do some damage!

I'm all for a potential Minnesota-Michigan rivalry, I just wish I could have seen the 30 minute brawl.

5/27/2020 5:38 pm  #76

Yeah I agree with Section, a 30 minute brawl with head coaches getting major suspensions sounds like quality entertainment. 
Big changes this season it seems like. Both Boston and LA winning their division for the first time, New York clinching a playoff spot over Michigan, Chicago jumping over the Keepers, Dragons and the aforementioned Bandits to make it in, super excited to see how it all shakes out in the playoffs! 

Oh by the way, I'd totally be down for a Crusaders sig when you can get around to it.

6/20/2020 1:13 pm  #77

School's done for me, so to celebrate, here's the 1974 playoff post! Sorry if the length of the writeups vary, I wrote this in chunks over the last month.

A few things before I start:

First, here's the Crusaders sig that MyTeamIsDr.Pepper requested:

Second, I'd just like to know what you guys think of the write-ups. Should I make them shorter, go more in detail, or is it good the way it is now? Just want to get some feedback so this can be more fun for all of you reading this. As well, if there's any rules of the game you want explained, feel free to ask! I know fictional sports can be kinda hard to follow, so if you want something explained, I'll be happy to help!

Lastly, if anyone wants a sig of their own, just let me know, and I'll whip one up.

Now, onto the action!

1974 NAML Playoffs

ROUND 1

(W2) Los Angeles Guardians vs (W3) Minnesota Walleye
The LA Memorial Coliseum was just about packed as the two teams and umpires took the field. It was the first time that the Guardians were hosting a playoff game, so the building was practically shaking when the opening jump-ball was held.

Minnesota won the jump-ball, and made the building much quieter by scoring two points within the first minute. LA brought the ball back and got a point of their own, but just a minute later, Lennie O’Neal scored the first major of the game for Minnesota, LA responded with another point, but couldn’t get anything else past new goalkeeper Jack Harschen. Minnesota would continue pressing, and managed another goal and point from Syl Yonker. After another LA point, Minnesota would continue the beatdown, first with a lucky unintentional deflection off Yonker, then a slick close-range shot by Ron Rider. This made it 19-3 for the Walleye, a huge shock to the Guardians faithful. With under 6 minutes to go in the quarter, Oscar Madigan finally gave the home crowd something to cheer for, setting up Johnny Adeva for an easy tap-in. Unfortunately for LA, any momentum they had lasted for around a minute before Minnesota got back to work, as they scored twice to close out the quarter, off a penalty shot by Glenn Barr and another great shot by O’Neal. After 1, Minnesota led 27-7. 

To start the second, O’Neal kicked a point within the first minute, and Minnesota continued to pressure. However, great goalkeeping by Neil Atkinson prevented any further damage. 4 minutes into the quarter, the Guardians caught a huge break when a cross punched by Michael Wutrada deflected off Calvin Black and past Harschen. However, the Walleye once again extinguished any momentum LA had, and within two minutes, they had scored a goal and a point. The Guardians had a great chance to counter, but the shot by Madigan missed wide, something LA had done too much so far. Barr made them pay with a beautiful curling shot, increasing the lead to 25. The final minutes of the half saw LA dominate the ball, but they couldn’t convert. They had great chances once again, but only managed two points. Through 42 minutes of play, the Guardians had 8 scoring plays, but only 2 of those were goals. If they wanted to come back, that had to change.

To start the second half, the Guardians looked like a different team. Whatever coach ‘Goof’ O’Connor said to his team at halftime seemed to have worked. The first 5 minutes saw the Guardians dominate the ball and snuff any counter-attacks, but they only managed one point in that span. After that, there was a defensive stalemate, with neither team giving their opponent anything offensively. The scoring drought finally ended with 3 minutes to play in the quarter, as Madigan kicked an intentional point to send a message to his team. It worked, as LA held possession for the rest of the quarter. The Minnesota defense was bending, but not breaking. Eventually, with 11 seconds left in the quarter, a beautiful deceitful cross by Madigan left Wutrada all alone in front, and he easily converted, giving the LA faithful some hope heading into the fourth quarter. It wasn’t going to be easy, but the game wasn’t out of reach.

LA started the fourth just as they ended the fourth. Within the first 90 seconds, they had two scoring plays, but both were points. At the 5-minute mark, The Guardians got the goal they needed, off a beautiful free kick by Madigan. 8 minutes later, Wutrada converted a penalty, getting LA within 7 points. Unfortunately, the fun would end for LA at that point. With 5:27 to play, O’Neal kicked another goal, and 30 seconds later, Rider sealed the Guardians’ fate with a curling shot. LA tried furiously to get anything, but couldn’t get any good chances. Finally, with 41 seconds to play, Rider added more salt to the wound, scoring once again. In the end, the Walleye moved on to Chicago, winning 49-30.

(E2) Boston Wolfhounds vs (E3) New York Knights

Boston Shore Stadium was rocking and ready for a battle of surprise teams, the Boston Wolfhounds and New York Knights. Despite their close proximity, the stadium was almost entirely filled with Boston faithful.

The game started with a nasty pace, as both New York captain Philip Cook and forward Ben Jackson were injured by awkward tackles. Both players would eventually return. The scoring started 4 minutes in, as Boston’s Jack Hainalat punched in a cross. New York scored a point, then Hainalat kicked his second goal. As the quarter went on, the two teams traded great chances several times, but the goalies stood tall. Hainalat went for a quick hattrick, but Knights goalie Joe Watson cleverly knocked it out for a point. The knights countered with two quick points, then Boston went right back and had another great chance knocked away for a point. New York held possession for the remainder of the quarter, but couldn’t get a major, instead missing just wide both times. Boston led 10-5 after 1.

The Knights controlled the ball at the start of the second half, and finally got the goal they needed, from Kevin Dauphin. 4 minutes later, the Hounds would regain their 5-point lead, off a goal by Sully Jikey. The teams traded points over the next portion of play. Then, with 6 minutes to play in the half, the Boston offense went off. Hainalat converted a free kick, Brad Steinauer scored on the very next rush, then John Garb got in on the action soon after. In the span of 44 seconds, Boston had increased their lead from 6 to 18. The Boston defence did a great job of holding back the Knights offense, only allowing one more point for the rest of the half. After 42 minutes of play, Boston led 29-11.

The second half started out slowly, but the first shot of the quarter ended up being a goal, as Hainalat ended up squeezing a shot past Watson. New York pressed, and they eventually got a goal themselves, from Jackson. The defensive theme continued, but the shots the two teams got away continued to be very effective. Garb converted a penalty shot, but the Knights responded with a goal of their own, their first shot in 4 minutes. Off the bounce after the Knights goal, Boston almost scored again, but Watson made a great diving save and hit the ball past the pointline for a point. With 6 minutes to play, Cook made a great weaving play through several defenders before easily kicking one over Bernard Atwood. The rest of the quarter was relatively calm, as the two defences tightened up and didn’t let anything through. After 3, Boston still held a firm grasp on the game, leading 38-23.

The Knights came out fast and furious in the fourth, hoping to pull off a dream comeback. Cook scored 3 minutes in, and 90 seconds later, Ian Puig added his name to the scoresheet. All of a sudden the score was 38-31. Boston tried getting their offense moving, but to no avail. At the 8-minute mark, Strong play by Jackson in the arc ended up drawing a penalty, and he easily converted, now putting New York within 3. At the halfway mark of the quarter, A rolling ball found Cook with a wide-open net, but his shot missed just wide, a shocking miss from a usually picture perfect player. Boston ended up bringing the ball all the way back downfield, and scored a point of their own. 2 minutes later, Edward Pogaugh beat Watson, putting the Knights down by 7 with under 5 minutes to play. The Knights offense tried furiously to score, but only managed to get a point. In the end, the Wolfhounds almost blew a big lead, but they held on to move onto Philly.

SEMIFINALS

(W1) Chicago Crusaders vs (W3) Minnesota Walleye
For the first since 1969, Columbus Stadium was the site of a NAML semifinal game. The stadium was packed full of Crusader faithful, though there was a decent contingent of Walleye supporters as well.
The Walleye didn’t seem too fazed by the Chicago crowd, as Syl Yonker scored the game’s first goal 2 minutes in. 49 seconds later, they added a point to jump to a quick 5-0 lead. At 6:37, Jacob Olivus got the Crusaders on the board with a long shot that just got past Jack Harschen. The next 9 minutes was a huge defensive battle, with the only scoring between the two teams being 1 point by the Walleye and 2 by Chicago. Finally, with under 4 minutes to play, Jerry Walcott brought the Chicago crowd to their feet with a blistering shot out of nowhere, giving the Crusaders their first lead. Minnesota scored a late point, and they were down 3 as the first quarter came to a close.

Chicago started the second quarter off quick, getting a goal from Olivus and two points within the first 4 minutes. Minnesota would respond with a point of their own, then there would be another long, slow period of play. The only excitement was a poorly taken free kick by Olivus that struck a Minnesota defender in the face. With just over 5 minutes to go, play picked up again, and Gus Chase scored to increase Chicago’s lead to 12. Minnesota responded right back, with a goal of their own from Ron Rider. The action continued in the final minutes, but neither team could seem to get a goal or point. Olivus appeared to have scored just before the half ended, but the referee disallowed it as the kick was taken after time had expired. Chicago led 20-12 after 42 minutes of play.

The third quarter saw an offensive outbreak. Within the first minute, Chase and Rider had scored for their respective teams. Minnesota would take over possession for the next few minutes, and they made it count. Yonker and Lennie O’Neal both scored to tie the game, then Rider scored two quick points to make it 26-24 for Minnesota. Olivus had a great chance to retake the lead, but Harschen made a great save to give up a point. The pace died down for a few minutes, then it revved right back up. Yonker scored from a penalty, but two minutes later, Gabriel Sheen scored for Chicago, making it a 1-point game again. The Walleye came right back, but the shot by Rider missed for a point. Soon after, the back went back down the field again, and the Crusaders scored a great team goal to get their first lead since the early stages of the quarter. That was short-live however, and just over a minute later, Rider scored again, making it 35-33 Minnesota, which was how the score would stand through 3 quarters of play.

Chicago started the fourth quarter strong, getting a goal and a point from Olivus to gain a 3-point lead within the first 3 minutes. The Walleye would fight back however, and at the 6-minute mark, Yonker scored to give the Walleye the lead, the 6th lead change of the game. 2 minutes later, Rider drew a free kick and converted, making it a two-score game. The intensity ramped up, but the defense would stay strong in the middle portion of the quarter, with the only scoring being a point from each team. With 8 minutes to play, the Crusaders scored a huge goal, a Sheen deflection that just beat Harschen. The Crusaders fought hard to tie or take the lead, but couldn’t do it. Off a Minnesota counter-attack, Rider found himself all alone and buried the ball, giving the Walleye a 5-point lead with 5:09 to play. Chicago wasn’t giving up, and with 4:13 left, Steve Larson make a nice cut around a defender, and curled a shot home, putting the Crusaders within 1. Off the very next rush, Larson had the chance to become a hero, but his shot hit the post and went wide for a point. The final 4 minutes were intense, but no further scoring would be made, and the game ended in a 48-48 draw. For the 4th time in NAML history, there would be a playoff replay the following day.

(E1) Philadelphia Falcons vs (E2) Boston Wolfhounds
The Philly Markball Park was rocking as Falcons faithful hoped to see their team advance to the Urquhart Cup for the second straight year. Standing in their way were the Boston Wolfhounds, hoping to advance to their first championship game since 1962.

The first minute of play was slow, but the pace quickly picked up. Jack Hainalat scored the game’s first point, but on the very next rush, Philly brought the ball downfield and Mitchell Stephens finished, much to the delight of the home crowd. The Falcons used the crowd’s intimidation to their advantage, as just 15 seconds after the jump-ball, they had already gone back down the field and scored again. The pace died down a little, and the team’s defenses took over. The Falcons scored two more points, then Sully Jikey scored an intentional point, hoping to get the Hounds offense going. It seemed to work, as from that point on, Boston dominated possession of the ball. Edward Pogaugh and Hainalat scored in quick succession, then with just over 2 minutes to play, Boston bench forward Wayne Hart deflected a cross past George Sovine, giving Boston a 14-10 lead, which they would hold into the second quarter.

The second quarter was much slower in terms of pace and scoring. The first few minutes were slow, with the occasional chance, but those were easily turned aside by the goalies. The first score of the quarter came 4:31 in, a point by Hainalat. Play continued to be relatively slow and boring until the halfway point, when Philly started controlling possession. They had several good chances, but the Boston defense and goalie Bernard Atwood stood tall and didn’t let anything past. Robert Stephens had a beautiful chance to score, but Atwood made a crazy diving save to keep the ball out and not give up any points. Eventually, Chris Olsen managed to beat Atwood in tight, putting the P’s within 1. On the next rush, they tied the game with a point, then the pace died down once again. Both teams had good chances to close out, but couldn’t get any points. At the half, The two teams were tied 15-15.

Fans were hoping for more scoring in the third quarter, but the game continued to be slower-paced. The teams traded low-end chances, but couldn’t get anything going. Eventually, the first score of the quarter would be a tight-angle point from Olsen. The slow pace continued on, and there would be no scoring for the next 5 minutes, until Pogaugh kicked a point for Boston, tying the game once more. The two teams continued to battle on, and the defensive battle continued. Eventually, with under 4 minutes to play, Olsen completed his hattrick, kicking a laser beam past Atwood. This gave Philly some much-needed momentum, and closed out the quarter in dominant possession of the ball. Rudolph Lussier kicked a late point, and the Falcons were up 5 through 3 quarters.

Much to the delight of those watching, the game found offense in the final frame. The Hounds had two good chances to score early on, but both missed for points. To make things worse, Robert Stephens would score on a rush off the ensuing kickoff, giving Philly their biggest lead since the opening quarter. However, the Falcons offense wasn’t done yet, soon after, they added a point, and eventually Richard Harris got in on the action, with a nice chip shot. The P’s were now up 30-18. Boston would reply quickly, getting a goal of their own from Doug Hendrickson. After a small period defensive stalemate, Hainalat kicked a point, putting the Hounds within 7. Hainalat had another chance to score, but his shot hit the post and bounced right to Lussier, who charged back downfield and set up Olsen for an easy goal. This took the wind out of Boston’s sails, and pretty much sealed the deal. Harris added a goal and a point to put Philly up 16, and Pogaugh kicked a late consolation point. As the final whistle went, the stadium erupted, as the Falcons had beaten Boston 39-24, and advanced to their second straight Urquhart Cup Final.

SEMIFINAL REPLAY

(W1) Chicago Crusaders vs (W3) Minnesota Walleye
One week after the drawn match between Chicago and Minnesota, the two teams reconvened at Columbus Stadium for the game replay, the 4th in the NAML’s history, and first since the 1970 Urquhart Cup Replay. In each of the previous replays, the designated home team had won.

Chicago started the game off strong, getting goals from Jacob Olivus and Gus Chase within the first 4 minutes. Minnesota would respond with a goal from Ron Rider 4 minutes later, but under a minute later, the Crusaders restored their two goal lead thanks to a rare goal from rover Les Maines. Chicago added a point to increase their lead to 9, then Syl Yonker would draw a penalty, and easily converted, putting Minnesota within 5. The rest of the quarter saw a slow pace, with the only scoring in the final 7 minutes being a point from each team. After 1, the Crusaders led 14-9.
The Walleye started the second quarter strong, getting a few shots away, but no score until Max Lodesani scored with a nice chip shot over goalie Alex Davies. Minnesota continued dominating, getting several shots and deflections, but couldn’t get anything through the middle posts. However, they did manage to score three quick points, taking a 16-14 lead. At the 10-minute mark, Chicago finally got some chances of their own, and they capitalized, getting a goal off a nice team play, and another off a cross deflected by Gabriel Sheen 90 seconds later. Minnesota would fight back, and Rider scored a quick goal and point to cut the lead to 1. Just like the first quarter, the defense tightened up and the pace died down to end the quarter, with the only score being a Chicago point to put them up 23-21 heading into the second half. It was still anyone’s game.

The third quarter for the most part was dominated by the Walleye. They got good chances, and even though Davies was playing extremely well, Minnesota still managed to score 3 minutes in, and a long shot by Yonker just got through 4 minutes later to give the Walleye their largest lead of the game. Chicago responded with a goal of their own, but the Walleye would go right back down the field and retake their 6-point lead within a minute. The pace died down, and the teams’ defenses and goalies took over. Davies was acting visibly frustrated, as he had been having an amazing game, but the offense wasn’t bailing him out. Things got worse for the Crusaders with 3:29 to play, as the Walleye marched around the defense once again and Lennie O’Neal scored another easy goal. 47 seconds later, Minnesota scored a carbon copy of that goal, increasing their lead to 14 points. The Chicago faithful were starting to grow restless, and as the quarter came to a close, boos were heard echoing throughout the stadium. Minnesota led 41-27 heading into the final quarter.

Chicago won the opening jump-ball of the fourth, and Sheen scored off a beautiful volley 96 seconds in. The Crusaders got a few more shots off, but couldn’t find any scoring. Minnesota brought the ball down to the other end of the field for the first time in the quarter, and a Rider shot was deflected out for a point. Off the ensuing kickoff, Chicago continued pressuring, and Sheen drew a penalty, which he converted, cutting the deficit to 7. Unfortunately for the Crusaders, the Walleye would win the ensuing jump-ball, and eventually got a deflection goal from Rider to make it a 3-score game again. Chicago would hold the ball for the next chunk of time, but the Walleye defense did a good job of tightening up, and the Crusaders seemingly couldn’t get into the arc. They only managed two points over the next 6 minutes, which wasn’t close to enough. With 3:05 to play, O’Neal sealed the deal, scoring on a breakaway. As fans started flooding for the exits, Minnesota added more salt to the wound, getting a deflection punched in by Yonker. In the end, the Walleye won 54-37, becoming the first team in NAML history to win multiple replays, and more importantly, clinching the second spot in the Urquhart Cup, setting up a rematch of the 1971 battle.

URQUHART CUP PREVIEW:
Matchup: Philadelphia Falcons vs Minnesota Walleye
Previous Meetings: 1971
Result: Minnesota 33-33 Philadelphia, Minnesota 52-49 Philadelphia
Regular Season Meeting: Philadelphia 45-28 Minnesota
Analyst Prediction: The Philadelphia Falcon offense is no joke, and it’s certainly hard to root against them. However, I feel it’s personally harder to root against the Minnesota Walleye. Their determination this year has been among the best I’ve ever seen in all my years of covering the league. Losing 3 key parts of a team is hard, but they’ve fought through. Facing two higher seeds at their home stadiums has been hard, but they’ve fought through. I truly believe that this Minnesota team will pull off the upset of all upsets here. I say it’ll be close, but the Walleye will prevail 40-32.
Leonard Oliverson, New York Times

6/20/2020 1:23 pm  #78

I hope Phoenix gets a team. Btw how do you simulate this?

Last edited by Rugrat (6/20/2020 1:24 pm)

6/20/2020 11:15 pm  #79

Come on you Walleye!

6/21/2020 2:21 pm  #80

Aw, too bad Chicago couldn't get it down. We really need an overtime, I think we would've had the momentum to win that one with a bit more time! 
I'll pull for the Walleye this time, let's get them Falcons Minne!
Thanks for the sig too, looks great!

Board footera