Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2022 11:06 pm  #31

Re: World Hockey Association: Redux

Thanks, guys! Cougarspoon is now canon.

We take a stop in the Bay Area where owner Ernie Lutz owns a team.

Bay Area native Ernie Lutz named his team the San Francisco Sharks and found them a home at the Cow Palace in Daly City, just outside San Francisco city limits. The Palace seats just over 11,000 people for ice hockey, third largest in the league. Lutz signed a 6-year deal with the Palace. The name honors the many species of sharks that reside in and around San Francisco Bay. The Sharks will wear international orange and dark teal in a nod to the Golden Gate Bridge with dark teal representing the water around the Bay.

The Sharks will wear an orange primary sweater with dark teal shoulder yokes, collar and pants. The sweaters will feature double stripes on the sleeves, hem, and socks. The stripes on the white jersey will be alternated orange and dark teal. The logo features a two-color shark bursting forth from a white roundel with a dark teal border. An inset SF is in the bottom right corner of the roundel underneath the shark. The logo will be centered on the roundel instead of the total width, as the shark protrudes beyond the right side. The number system is a curved slab face that Lutz chose to represent the marinas around the city.

C&C always appreciated!

Up next: we head south

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

11/01/2022 8:23 am  #32

Bold predictions: Sharks eventually move to San Jose. [Sarcasm]

Anyway, the Sharks look pretty good! I like the Giants influence for the colors, though the shark could look a tad more aggressive.

11/01/2022 9:51 am  #33

I love the use of International Orange. I think the teal could be a touch brighter, and with all the white in the logo really stands out when there's no white anywhere else on the home jersey.

Overall, it's okay, and that's okay.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

11/01/2022 12:43 pm  #34

Rugrat wrote:

Anyway, the Sharks look pretty good! I like the Giants influence for the colors, though the shark could look a tad more aggressive.

I can easily see an angrier shark in the next update when things like merch become a big deal.

As for San Jose, wasn't it said that this thing won't really adhere much to real-life events?

11/01/2022 2:26 pm  #35

Crazy Rider wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

I can easily see an angrier shark in the next update when things like merch become a big deal.

As for San Jose, wasn't it said that this thing won't really adhere much to real-life events?

I was being sarcastic with the San Jose move, I know this won’t be parrallel to what happens IOTL

11/01/2022 6:46 pm  #36

Crazy Rider wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

A move from San Fran to San Jose never happened irl.

11/02/2022 1:00 am  #37

Rugrat wrote:

Daniel O'Mac wrote:

I love the use of International Orange. I think the teal could be a touch brighter, and with all the white in the logo really stands out when there's no white anywhere else on the home jersey.

Overall, it's okay, and that's okay.

Crazy Rider wrote:

Scratchy Boi wrote:

A move from San Fran to San Jose never happened irl.

Appreciate all the feedback on San Fran! I wanted to challenge myself on this one with having to decide on multiple scenarios of how this would play out, both being in the Bay Area, and also being named the Sharks.

The IRL WHA team was originally in San Francisco as the Sharks but folded before the first season started and instead the Los Angeles Aces changed their name to Sharks. (and a very cool logo too) This scenario presents the Sharks as actually starting in San Fran and seeing how that may affect things.

The shark and design itself, as alluded, are a stab at 70's designs that were't super fierce and often color schemes didn't match perfectly which is what I wanted to try here. I do have a much more modern design for the future if they last that long.

11/04/2022 5:33 pm  #38

We now take a stop in the City of Angels!

Sid and Bernie Caskey are the big names, nearly stars themselves with their Hollywood investments, and accordingly named their team the California Comets. The Comets will play at the LA Memorial Sports Arena which seats 14,500 people, making it the second largest arena in the league. The Caskeys signed a whopping 10-year deal with the arena, partly to show the NHL's Kings that they mean business. The team colors will be blue, gold, and white.

The Comets will wear a blue primary sweater (a slightly darker Dodger blue to honor LA) with triple Northwestern-styled striping on the sleeves and hem with a gold collar. The breezers are blue with similar striping. The logo is a gold C with a shooting comet inside forming a star. The away jersey features a blue shoulder yoke and non-inverted striping. Both sets will feature gold jersey numbers as the primary feature. The TV numbers and NOBs are flat in a contrasting color. Another feature the Comets will be trying out will be special gold skates manufactured by Bauer.

C&C always appreciated!

Up next: We head back east

11/04/2022 10:35 pm  #39

Awesome identity. The negative-space C is brilliant. The blue jersey is sweet too!

12/28/2022 2:54 pm  #40

Will we see this series continue?

Board footera