Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2022 12:32 am  #11

Re: World Hockey Association: Redux

Dan O'Mac wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

I wonder how would you deal with the surviving teams that jumped ship to the NHL. Would the WHA let it happen or would they staunchly block them?

That would be a big point. Them jumping and the WHA attempting to survive after that is a neat story, but on the other hand, why would the be left to leave if the league was going to be surviving? Likely that'll be Steel's first big point to work through.

Absolutely, that will be a big plot point in the story. I want to see how teams progress before deciding, but I have several scenarios written out. 

Happy to see some interest in this series!

I also hope I haven't misled anyone here who may be excited for IRL WHA teams...I will be borrowing some of the identities but I have some rules, listed below:

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

10/21/2022 12:39 am  #12

[Series Rules]

​So I have a few rules for this series, which hopefully won't put a damper on things. I can't use IRL logos. I can use WHA names but not ones who made it to the NHL. This will allow me to have flexibility in deciding how much of the NHL timeline to change or not change. This series is essentially a "What Would Steel Do?" so all of the decisions I make will be through that lens of reimagining how the WHA would be constructed and progress, including initial names and identities.

I have also updated the first post with a link to the WHA Scouting Report where you can submit prospects!

With that being said, here is the backstory of the league:

[Backstory]

It was 1972 and Harry Bloom was an angry Brooklyn businessman with a bone to pick against the NHL, who had awarded a new franchise to his hated enemy William Shea after rumors emerged of a new rival hockey league looking to place a team at the new Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. After being spurned by Clarence Campbell and the NHL, Bloom decided to recruit his own band of business investors and go all-in with a rumored startup rival league, the World Hockey Association.

The WHA was in its infancy and the details were still being hammered out by a coalition led by American businessman Norris O'Sullivan and Canadian investor Grover Neville. The league talks were stalled despite plans to start play in the fall of '72 so when Bloom showed up with businessmen Ernie Lutz and Elliott Randall and asked to join the party, the WHA suddenly had life. Lutz, a Bay Area native, had connections with the Cow Palace in Daly City, while Randall, who was a former lawyer from Chicago had talks going with the International Amphitheater.

Norris O'Sullivan was a Harvard grad from a successful Irish family in Boston. Nicknamed “Nosy” for his strong Roman nose, O'Sullivan had started a fast-growing corporate insurance enterprise with locations in Boston, New York, and Los Angeles. Despite his rugged exterior and penchant for riding a beefy Harley-Davidson motorcycle through the streets of Boston, O'Sullivan was a sharp businessman with a keen sense for organization and motivational leadership. He played collegiate hockey for Harvard and was drafted by the Bruins but never made it to the professional roster after battling injuries in the minor leagues. An avid hockey fan, O'Sullivan had long seen a need for more professional competition and leadership in the sport and saw the NHL as unwilling to innovate or change. With national interest in hockey growing in the United States, O'Sullivan decided that the best move would be to capitalize on the momentum and start a rival league. His longtime business acquaintance and former politician Grover Neville from Ottawa was willing to invest and help run the organization and navigate Canadian politics.

O'Sullivan named the new league the World Hockey Association and was installed as league president and commissioner with Neville as vice president and deputy commissioner. Despite lots of great ideas and plans, progress was moving slowly on the new league, hampered further by the NHL catching wind of their plans and hastily adding two new franchises in New York and Atlanta to block the WHA. Neville had acquired a tentative deal with the Ottawa Civic Centre to host a new franchise and O'Sullivan had convinced Texas oil magnate Buck Bernstein to invest in a Houston-based franchise but the rest of the recruiting had hit a wall until Harry Bloom showed up.

With Bloom on board for a Brooklyn-based franchise, despite the roadblocks of Nassau Coliseum, and Elliott Randall in Chicago, and Ernie Lutz in San Francisco, the WHA plans moved into high gear as O'Sullivan proceeded to travel to the west coast with Lutz to recruit the Caskey brothers in Los Angeles. Sid and Bernie Caskey were former minor league hockey players themselves and had a massive construction business in LA. It didn't take much convincing for them to join the league as neither felt the LA Kings posed any current threat. They secured a deal with the LA Memorial Sports Arena to host a franchise.

Meanwhile, Grover Neville recruited Albertan rancher-businessman Darren Masterson to pony up for a franchise in Calgary at the Stampede Corral. Masterson's connections throughout Canada were deep and they both traveled to Winnipeg to find a franchise owner. They found a willing partner in Bruno Poulin who secured a lease through the Winnipeg Arena.

Meanwhile, Bloom was fighting with the city of New York on stadium rights after being stonewalled by Nassau County, who didn't believe the new league met the “major level” threshold their operating agreement required to lease the space. Bloom was also initially turned down by Madison Square Garden, home of the New York Rangers, but after persistent effort they reached a verbal agreement to host the new team for one season. Bloom, concerned his franchise might be in jeopardy with no longterm agreement in place, decided to pivot in a different direction and begin plans for building his own arena in Brooklyn.

With eight franchises spoken for and seven arena lease agreements in place, O'Sullivan called for a convention of all the new owners in Boston to discuss the new league.

​Up next: The inaugural WHA Convention

10/21/2022 9:12 am  #13

NeoPrankster wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

NeoPrankster wrote:

It would be nice if San Diego can get a team. Even if just for a couple years.

IRL, San Diego did have a team in the WHA called the Mariners who played from 1974 to 1977. Heck, Phoenix had a team, the Roadrunners (my dad used to go to games in fact). Hoping Portland could get a team ITTL along with Phoenix. 

Just curious, are you WB18 on the AH forums?

How did you know?! Jokes aside, I am indeed WB18. I think I know who you are, but keep me guessing. That being said, all 8 cities seem like solid options for teams, hopefully Brooklyn can survive.

Last edited by Rugrat (10/21/2022 9:13 am)

10/21/2022 2:29 pm  #14

Rugrat wrote:

NeoPrankster wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

IRL, San Diego did have a team in the WHA called the Mariners who played from 1974 to 1977. Heck, Phoenix had a team, the Roadrunners (my dad used to go to games in fact). Hoping Portland could get a team ITTL along with Phoenix. 

Just curious, are you WB18 on the AH forums?

How did you know?! Jokes aside, I am indeed WB18. I think I know who you are, but keep me guessing. That being said, all 8 cities seem like solid options for teams, hopefully Brooklyn can survive.

I'm OldNavy1988 in the AH forums.

Steel, we're assuming that only CBS, NBC and ABC exist at this point in the scenario, right? Because I feel like if this WHA is to run smoother than it did in real life, it's definitely gonna need stable TV coverage. Maybe Metromedia, Disney, Ted Turner, MCA or Gulf+Western can partner up for a fourth channel before Murdoch comes over from Down Under? HBO should be starting pretty soon too. I think there was a Hughes network that tried to get Monday Night Football but got outbid by ABC.

Last edited by NeoPrankster (10/21/2022 2:33 pm)

10/21/2022 10:07 pm  #15

I am both disappointed but intrigued that the Winnipeg team will not be named the Jets. But hey we got a team baby, ride or die with the Winnipeg ___________!

Last edited by Wallflower (10/21/2022 10:08 pm)

10/22/2022 1:17 am  #16

Neo wrote:

Steel, we're assuming that only CBS, NBC and ABC exist at this point in the scenario, right? Because I feel like if this WHA is to run smoother than it did in real life, it's definitely gonna need stable TV coverage. Maybe Metromedia, Disney, Ted Turner, MCA or Gulf+Western can partner up for a fourth channel before Murdoch comes over from Down Under? HBO should be starting pretty soon too. I think there was a Hughes network that tried to get Monday Night Football but got outbid by ABC.

​Yes, correct. You'll see in the next post how the league will begin, which is more or less close to real events, but I have put some thought into a potential fourth network, or perhaps, a sports division of an existing network for the future. I think a second broadcasting partner would be a cool addition to the framework so I'm happy to hear your suggestions.

Walter wrote:

I am both disappointed but intrigued that the Winnipeg team will not be named the Jets. But hey we got a team baby, ride or die with the Winnipeg ___________!

Sorry to disappoint, but I hope you will enjoy the new identity for Winnipeg, which of course will be based on the OG Jets.

10/22/2022 2:22 am  #17

[1972 WHA Inaugural Convention – Part One – A League is Born]

The WHA braintrust convened all together for the first time at the Parker House in Boston in the summer of 1972 in a three-day event where they unanimously elected Norris O'Sullivan as league president and commissioner. Grover Neville was named executive vice president with a focus on league operations and Elliott Randall was named deputy commissioner with a focus on legal proceedings, particularly battling the courts over the Reserve Clause. Word on the street was that Harry Bloom was incensed that he was not chosen for a greater role in the WHA leadership structure and Sully had to assure him the league would do everything they could to support his franchise.

Each new owner paid an entrance fee of $50,000 to join the new league which was added to the startup fund along with contributions from future advertisers and small investors.

[IRL Fact: The WHA only asked for $25,000 from new owners]

The biggest innovation by the WHA was the abolishment of the Reserve Clause, which effectively tied a player to the team that drafted him for the duration of his career. The WHA braintrust agreed to free agency and promised much higher salaries than the NHL. They also partnered with Lou Rosenbaum of the fledgling International Hockey Players' Association to make sure their players had better representation in the league, something the NHL had been staunchly against. Each WHA team would have a designated player delegate with access to the IHPA's resources.

The WHA decided to use blue pucks, something never seen before in professional hockey. O'Sullivan also helped organize a deal with Toronto-based company Cooper to manufacture uniforms and apparel for the new league. The league also reached a deal with Bauer for exclusive skates and equipment.

A TV deal was reached with CBS, who had recently lost the trust of the NHL and were spurned for NBC to a 5.3 million contract. CBS offered to host American broadcasting rights for the WHA for $3 million per year. A 3-year deal with options to renew was signed. In deference to request by CBS, the WHA also decided to mandate player names on the backs of their jerseys. A deal was also reached with CTV Sports to broadcast all WHA games in Canada.

A two-division alignment was chosen with the divisions geographically organized east and west but named after Neville and the Caskeys. The Neville Division would be located more easterly with Brooklyn, Chicago, Ottawa, and Winnipeg, while the Caskey Division would be focused on the west coast with Calgary, Houston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. The regular season would consist of 72 games, a number chosen to be slightly shorter than the NHL season to provide more flexibility, and would begin play on the third Thursday of October. The playoffs would consist of a 6-team playoff bracket where the division winners would receive first round byes.

The championship trophy was named the O'Sullivan Cup, soon affectionately known as the “Sully Cup,” and the league embarked on creating a massive uniquely-shaped trophy to suit Sully's big personality. Other awards were also named, many for WHA investors:

O'Sullivan Cup – Championship trophy, named after league president and founder Norris O'Sullivan
Randall Trophy – Best regular season record, named after WHA COO Elliott Randall
Neville Cup – Neville division winner, named after WHA VP Grover Neville
Caskey Cup – Caskey division winner, named after owners Sid and Bernie Caskey
Jack Norris Award – Finals series MVP award, named after O'Sullivan's son Jack Norris O'Sullivan

Harold Trophy – League MVP award, named orginally the Elliott but changed to Harold to appease Harry Bloom
Stinson Trophy – Best forward award, named after Oscar Stinson, investor
Kirkland Trophy – Best defenseman award, named after James Kirkland, investor
Buchanan Trophy – Best goalie award, named after Buck Bernstein
Hanley Trophy – Best rookie award, named after Waylon Hanley, investor
Lawson Trophy – Best blue collar player award, named after Len Lawson, investor
Chuck Sperry Trophy– Best coach award, named after former coach Chuck Sperry
Chamberlain Trophy – Best executive award, named after Tom Chamberlain, investor

With the league details out of the way, the owners turned to building their new teams.

Up next: Part Two, Teams are Born

10/22/2022 3:28 am  #18

[1972 WHA Inaugural Convention – Part Two – The Teams are Born]

With eight official franchises in Brooklyn, Calgary, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Ottawa, San Francisco, and Winnipeg, the new owners set about naming their teams and producing identities.

First up: Calgary

Albertan rancher-businessman Darren Masterson chose to name his team after the entire province with the Alberta Broncos. The name pays homage to his Masterson Ranch and the cowboy culture in Calgary. The Broncos will sport a red and white color scheme (a nod to his childhood favorite Red Wings) and play their home games in Calgary, Alberta at the Stampede Corral which seats approximately 7,500 people, making it the smallest of the WHA's venues. Masterson believes there will be strong support for the new team and the intimate setting will only enhance the city's connection with the Broncos and signed a 5-year lease with the Corral. The Broncos will play in the Caskey Division.

Masterson chose a logo of an angled horseshoe to form a C for Calgary with a jumping horse positioned inside. The uniforms have a simple hem stripe and the upper sleeves are in the secondary color with the TV numbers inside. The pants are red with a single wide white stripe while the socks match the hem striping on the sweater. The names and numbers are in single color. According to WHA rules, the league logo is positioned on the upper right chest. The Cooper logo is stitched inside the open collar area, and on the left hip of the jersey across the seam. (not pictured)

With that, the league awaits feedback on the first identity reveal for the WHA. C&C always appreciated! It's always fun to see who people end up rooting for.

Up next: Brooklyn

10/22/2022 10:51 am  #19

With CBS partnering with the WHA, I'd be curious about how Pat Summerall would handle covering hockey assuming he's around in this scenario.

10/22/2022 11:15 am  #20

Steelman wrote:

[1972 WHA Inaugural Convention – Part Two – The Teams are Born]

With eight official franchises in Brooklyn, Calgary, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Ottawa, San Francisco, and Winnipeg, the new owners set about naming their teams and producing identities.

First up: Calgary

Albertan rancher-businessman Darren Masterson chose to name his team after the entire province with the Alberta Broncos. The name pays homage to his Masterson Ranch and the cowboy culture in Calgary. The Broncos will sport a red and white color scheme (a nod to his childhood favorite Red Wings) and play their home games in Calgary, Alberta at the Stampede Corral which seats approximately 7,500 people, making it the smallest of the WHA's venues. Masterson believes there will be strong support for the new team and the intimate setting will only enhance the city's connection with the Broncos and signed a 5-year lease with the Corral. The Broncos will play in the Caskey Division.

Masterson chose a logo of an angled horseshoe to form a C for Calgary with a jumping horse positioned inside. The uniforms have a simple hem stripe and the upper sleeves are in the secondary color with the TV numbers inside. The pants are red with a single wide white stripe while the socks match the hem striping on the sweater. The names and numbers are in single color. According to WHA rules, the league logo is positioned on the upper right chest. The Cooper logo is stitched inside the open collar area, and on the left hip of the jersey across the seam. (not pictured)

With that, the league awaits feedback on the first identity reveal for the WHA. C&C always appreciated! It's always fun to see who people end up rooting for.

Up next: Brooklyn

I like it! Very Red Wing esque. Could be a problem with team going by Alberta playing only in Calgary for fans in Edmonton (since those cities have a lot of dislike towards each other), but maybe Edmonton will get a team somewhere down the road.

Board footera