Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2022 6:30 pm  #1

Is it okay to switch your favorite team?

Okay, crowd sourcing time here. Since 1996, I have been a fan of the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes of the NHL. Even though good times and bad, I’ve supported them. But as time went by, they began frustrating me. First they dropped those Kachina uniforms (only to bring them back, but it wasn’t the same), built an absolute abomination of an arena, came close to moving to Winnipeg or Hamilton and have just four playoff appearances since 2002 (which has got to be the fewest in the league over that stretch excluding Vegas and Seattle of course) which is largely due to mismanagement and constantly changing owners. I also moved to Portland, Oregon in May 2021, making it harder to follow the team. After they revealed their new 5,000 seat arena, I couldn’t take any more of it anymore. But I have never switched teams before in my life, so I need some help from y’all to see if this is okay or just plain old disloyal.

Thanks,

Rugrat

10/17/2022 8:02 pm  #2

Re: Is it okay to switch your favorite team?

It's sports, man. You can switch whenever you want for whatever reason you want.

10/17/2022 8:04 pm  #3

I suggest you delete this post because merely by considering switching your allegiance away from your favorite sports team you could be charged with a felony with a sentence of up to twelve years in prison

kidding aside, do whatever you want. if being a yotes fan is not fun for you then stop being a yotes fan. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be one

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (10/17/2022 8:04 pm)

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

10/17/2022 11:11 pm  #4

I see it’s okay to switch, but to who?

10/17/2022 11:44 pm  #5

Rugrat wrote:

I see it’s okay to switch, but to who?

Switch to the Kraken. The team sucks right now but the uniforms are gorgeous, the arena is incredible (and fairly close to you), it's a west coast team so you can watch home games at normal hours, the young talent in guys like Matty Beniers are exciting to watch, and the team is brand new so everything is making history which is fun.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

10/18/2022 12:38 am  #6

Yea to add to what Steel said, I think local (or closest) teams are often a good starting point or choice since you are more likely going to get the coverage for them and they are certainly more accessible than a team across the country. 

Another way to approach it is maybe certain players you like as well. I certainly find I like teams more when they have players that I like to watch on them.

Last edited by Wallflower (10/18/2022 12:40 am)

10/18/2022 11:43 am  #7

Not sure if it makes things better or worse but that 5,000 seat stadium does not belong to the Coyotes nor did they build it / put a single cent into it. It is a gorgeous arena suitable for ASU hockey, the ones who actually unveiled it and call it theirs. It is not an "abomonation" in any way. The Coyotes are in the process of getting a new stadium approved and built. Right now they are freeloaders.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (10/18/2022 11:52 am)

10/18/2022 12:18 pm  #8

I jumped on board the Kraken fandom right away. I love the jerseys, the way they're building the team with youth, the arena has history with part of it salvaged from the previous arena, yet a neat green arena. I didn't really have a favorite team before that though.

NBA I was a fan of Tim Duncan, and therefore the Spurs. I still want to see them do well, but after last season in the AltBA, I found that I was really excited about Ja Morant and the Grizzlies as a whole. So I absolutely switched. So with those sports being sports I don't follow too closely, I've picked my favorite based on either the aesthetic of the team or the players.

And in your example of the Coyotes, if you don't like the team anymore, that's fine. But take your time, see who you find yourself rooting for in general. You'll likely have the Kraken available to view in the area, but with ESPN+, you can pretty much watch any NHL team. I'm in Wisconsin and used it to watch every Kraken game so far this season.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

10/18/2022 12:30 pm  #9

something else nobody has mentioned yet: it's perfectly acceptable to be a fan of two teams at the same time. I'm a fan of both the red sox and the cubs because my parents hail from two different parts of the country. you wouldn't even be the only person here who roots for the kraken because they moved to oregon but still roots for the team they grew up cheering for.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

10/18/2022 1:37 pm  #10

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Not sure if it makes things better or worse but that 5,000 seat stadium does not belong to the Coyotes nor did they build it / put a single cent into it. It is a gorgeous arena suitable for ASU hockey, the ones who actually unveiled it and call it theirs. It is not an "abomonation" in any way. The Coyotes are in the process of getting a new stadium approved and built. Right now they are freeloaders.

By abomination I meant the old arena, Gila River Arena (or Jobing.com arena). That place was total crap. Seems like most people here say Kraken. I went to a Kraken game in January and it was a great experience, so I have that going for me.

Board footera