Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2023 8:21 am  #951

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Things are off to an excellent start with the Bucks!  Loving the redesign big time!  The 90's style presentation is a real treat to see too!   Definitely a huge upgrade for Abrieden, much as I love the Jason themed Pancake Buck design of old, they needed to move on and this does the job perfectly!

6/07/2023 11:57 am  #952

I applaud Abrieden for taking such a large risk by stepping away from an identity that I'd consider one of the most traditional in the league despite the team being newer. It shows awareness of potential and understand of community. In turn, fans seem to trust the organization and the decisions they make due to the great relationship the team has developed with their community. This move was low risk, high reward and it seems to have already paid dividends.

I love a logo that utilizes hard angles and unnatural lines. They feel clean, consistent and hold form wonderfully, which the new Bucks logo succeeds in doing. That being said, the rounded outline is taking a lot away from a very good base, especially up by the antlers. It's like the base and outline are two separate styles. If they altered the outline to use sharp angles, like the buck itself, I think it would be one of the top logos in the league. Other than that, I am not quite sold on the navy antlers. Navy takes the height away from the logo on the home jerseys so it looks like the buck's head is awkwardly lower than it should be. Why not make the antlers gray and the outline navy? To me, the dominant use of gray on the away jersey implies that Abrieden treats both navy and silver as interchangeable primary colors, so it isn't an unreasonable idea. Not only would it fix the problem on your home, but it would also elevate the away jersey.

Speaking of jerseys, I think their away is much, much stronger than their home. I like the commitment to gray. It felt funky at first glance, but I warmed up to it pretty fast. Being the team that owns gray is a bold approach, but also unique and modern. It fits the team's personality very well.

6/07/2023 12:48 pm  #953

What an introduction to THL 2.0! Big fan of the changes made to the Bucks. The one thing that's sticking out to me is the gold and gray touching on the logo - they don't touch anywhere else except the names on the navy jersey and I think matching the number style with a navy stroke then a gray one would help. I'll also echo what Scratch said about the rounded outlines. I love the new jerseys, very bold and trend-setting.

6/25/2023 1:25 am  #954

Thank you for all the great feedback on the Bucks! I've taken it all into consideration and have got some adjustments working, which I will present soon. Meanwhile, I wanted to keep going so we've got the next team in line coming right up.

Alko Barbarians

About the Team: The Barbarians joined the league as part of a two-team expansion in 1976. Founded in Guilden, Forstana, the Barbarians were part of a response by the league to place pro teams in hockey hotbeds to help spur growth in smaller markets. The plan was flawed, however, as both teams ended up relocating. The Barbarians moved in 1988 to Alko, Pakola, much to the dismay of local fans. The Barbarians have typically carried a persona of a tough, hard-hitting team with blue collar fans. They haven't yet won a championship but they've had several very successful years, particularly since moving to Alko with playoff appearances in three of four seasons. The Barbarians have been moved from the Elam Division to the Hatch Division to form a better rivalry with their crosstown foes.

Ownership and Management: The Barbarians are owned by Dick Valentine, an entrepreneur and former military veteran from Chasonne. Valentine owns a variety of ventures around Torland and can often be found on political radio talkshows espousing his peculiar brand of beliefs. He also endorses quite a few products and has developed a reputation as a bit of a snake oil salesman. That persona spills over into hockey, especially since he moved the Barbarians from Guilden, making him a polarizing figure around the league.

The team is managed by Russ Shoemaker, who has served as general manager since the team was founded. He is considered a top executive in the league, winning Best GM in 1979. The team is coached by Jonas Rayburn who has also been with the team since its inception. Rayburn is considered an underrated coach in the league. Anderson Lamb has been assistant coach since 1977, and previously worked with Rayburn in Trowburgh.

City and Arena: Alko is a huge metropolitan area, largest in Torland. The metro is typically divided east-west by the Misty River, with the eastern side typically more blue collar and a reputation of being rough and ready. Despite the fact the team doesn't actually yet play in East Alko, the team has been embraced by that side of town, especially with the rival Wizards calling the western side home. The Barbarians have had little luck in the arena department, beginning with their original home in Guilden at the Guilden-Hobuck Center. Partly city-owned, the GHC had a leaky roof and the city was going through a recession and had no funds to renovate, leading to some of the financial struggles of the team. The Barbs played one season at the Rosa Nence Arena, a very small facility, before moving to the slightly larger but worse-looking Brimson Center. Construction has been going on at a new site in East Alko for four years with no completion date yet announced, as plans have hit major snags with the city and general contractors along with Valentine's meddling.

(Previous Identity: 1988-1991 Alko Barbarians)

Team Brand and Identity: Valentine's meddling took front and center during the redesigns with Elite Vision, requesting an homage to his old military unit and colors from the German heritage of his latest supermodel girlfriend. Steele tried to talk him out of it but Valentine was adamant. The new team logo is a shield with a stylized viking helmet “A” inside, with a new color arrangement that features more black and gold in the scheme. Valentine thinks the black jerseys look “mean” and personally requested double outlines on everything. The nameplates are captain patches are flat, however. The striping on the sleeves is the purposefully the opposite angle of their crosstown rivals the Wizards. Both sets feature black pants and red collars.

Roster Breakdown

Top Three Players

1. Frankie Albertelli, 31, defenseman
2. Konrad Kedzierski, 27, forward
3. Nicky Brockelman, 22, center

Forwards: The forward group is an intriguing mix of young talent and veteran presence. Former #1 pick by the Serpents, Konrad Kedzierski is the star and for what he lacks in maturity at times, he's a lethal scorer. He's had less defensive responsibility since moving to wing which has improved his game. Young center Nicky Brockelman is proving himself a capable two-way forward and perfect linemate for Kedz as he is defensively sound and an excellent passer. Harmon is just 23 and has potential and enough speed to keep him on the top line. Veteran team captain Lorenz Laduca heads the second line with grizzled vet Eddie Pires. For what the line lacks with speed, they make up for in grit and grind. The third line is the speed line, featuring the steady Sherman Bourget, Steve Cook, and rookie Mike Marut. An “extra heavy” fourth line of grinders is feared around the league with the legendary enforcer Johnnie Greco patrolling the ice with linemates Joey Goebel and Frankie Williams. The Extra Heavies have racked up the most fighting PIMs in the league, lending to a tough reputation for the whole team.

Defensemen: The squad is headlined by the generational defenseman Frankie Albertelli. A 3-time Cup winner with the Heralds, Albertelli has also racked up the hardware with 6 All-Star appearances. He is at the top of his game and could contend for even bigger hardware. His pairing mate in Elliott Barber is the quintessential pro, good in all three zones and as steady as they come. One of the best 2nd pairings in the league is Haraldsen and Burke, both excellent two-way players from the blue line. A pair of youngsters in Kilgore and Caruso head up an intriguing third pairing for strong depth.

Goaltenders: Rick McCombs, 23, is a bonafide starter ready to take a leap into stardom as a goalie. The Barbarians are very excited about his potential and he figures to be a cornerstone player for the franchise between the pipes. Backup Tony Simms is 35 and well past his prime but still a capable tender with plenty of experience to mentor. Alko has a couple of interesting prospects in the pipeline in Mike Robello and Ben Zamarripas.

Three Key Storylines: 

• Can the Barbarians finally have a permanent home? Three different stadiums in just 16 years and still not actually playing home games in their own side of the market has put a toll on the finances. The fans are clamoring for Valentine to get out of his own way and that distrust could breed into disdain very quickly.
  • Can the team galvanize into a winner? The roster has a lot of firepower and veteran leadership and the team is poised to make more noise in the playoffs. The team needs to build on their success and carry it into the playoffs for a Cup run.
  • Is McCombs a star? The Barbarians have been very happy with McCombs' development so far but his lofty trajectory needs to hit for the team to be able to contend.

Future Projection: The Barbarians are ready to make a run now, having all the ingredients to do so. A playoff splash would help unite the fanbase and reignite talks with the city on a new arena. The team will be led by Frankie Albertelli and can go as far as he can take them.

Marquee Series Sig:

C&C much appreciated! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new presentation, detailed write-up, new logo and uniforms, anything. Also always happy to answer any questions about teams or Torland!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/25/2023 10:14 am  #955

Love the new Barbarians look! A very strong, tough look for the team. I love that the sleeve stripes are purposefully opposite the Wizards', that's serious hater energy and I love it. The new logo is awesome, I'd love to see them break out the A/helmet logo on its own for an alternate jersey. Hopefully they can get their new arena done so this great brand can stick around.

6/26/2023 1:56 am  #956

The Alko Barbarians logo is nice, reminds me of those fantasy board or card games that were popular during the 80's and 90's, great job on this!

Last edited by GoosetavoMan (6/30/2023 7:49 am)

Fictional sports league and country fanatic.
If cows were made of grass, would they feed on grass?

6/26/2023 5:53 am  #957

I like the Vegas Golden Knights-esque logo!   The new jerseys are awesome, I feel like there's enough contrasting red and yellow to break up what could have easily been a boring black and boring white jerseys!  Definitely a huge fan of the updates!

6/26/2023 2:26 pm  #958

All the new identities are looking great!

6/29/2023 9:05 pm  #959

Glad to hear good feedback on the Barbs! One thing I forgot to mention in the write-ups was which division each team is in, so I've corrected that. I will also be presenting a new divisional map at the conclusion of the reveals. Now we move to the first team who has kept their current look.

Alko Wizards

About the Team: Part of a league expansion in 1983, the Wizards were installed in the metropolitan area of Alko to capitalize on the largest market in Torland and the growing popularity of ice hockey in the southwest. The team was embraced by the fans but the on-ice product took some time to develop, finally breaking into the playoffs in their sixth season. The team made a surprise run to the Finals in 1989 which helped spur growth in the fanbase and city, especially with their crosstown rivals the Barbarians having moved to the city in '88. In contrast to their rivals, the Wizards have a reputation of being clean and tightly managed, even if slightly dramatic, to cater toward a decidedly white collar crowd on the west side. Team finances are at an all-time high and the Wizards are firmly entrenched in Alko and the league. The Wizards are assigned to the Hatch Division.

Ownership and Management: The Wizards are co-owned by Eric Barclay and Gary Wisniewski. Majority owner Barclay is a well-to-do business investor based in Alko. Barclay's business assets were a deciding factor in the league awarding him the expansion franchise, along with the big name factor of Gary Wisniewski, a former THL superstar Hall of Famer from Poland who is considered one of the best forwards of all-time. Gary Wiz was the face of the league for many years, and even with his defection to the UHA, his reputation has remained solid. He played in Alko in the UHA and fell in love with the city and helped back Barclay to get a franchise.

Wisniewski is minority owner and also serves as general manager for the team. While some criticized his slow approach to team-building, the run to the finals in '89 helped relieve the stress and cement Gary Wiz as a competent GM. The squad is coached by Donnie Thomas who has been with the team since its inception in 1983. Some pundits are unsure if Thomas is truly equipped to lead a team to consistent success. Assisting is former Bucks head coach Warren Barton who is looking rebuild interest in a future head coaching gig.

City and Arena: The Wizards play at the Misty Center in west Alko's Avonhall neighborhood. The Misty is still new and in excellent condition, having just been completed in 1984. The Wizards played their first season at the Rosa Nence Arena. The western side of Alko is typically personified by being more wealthy and upscale than their counterparts on the eastern side and have fully embraced the Wizards, especially since the Barbarians were adopted by the eastern side. Spurred by Gary Wiz, the team has put considerable effort into developing youth hockey leagues and systems in Alko which has also helped grow support for the THL in the southwest.

(Previous Identity: 1983-1991 Alko Wizards)

Team Brand and Identity: The Wizards are named, in part, after Gary Wiz. The team remains more or less unchanged, choosing to stick with the style they've worn since joining the league. The logo is of a stylized A, meant to evoke a wizard hat with three four-pointed stars inset which represent mystery, strength, and mythical forces in honor of the Misty River. Team colors of maroon and light blue are paired with full length shoulder yokes, angled sleeve striping (opposite of the Barbarians) and thick hem stripes. The Wizards' unique sans serif number system with double outlines also returns, with the TV numbers moved to the shoulders. The nameplates and captain's patches are flat. Both sets are paired with blue collars and maroon pants. The team also has a little-used wordmark that has been officially brought back but no word yet on where it will be used.

Roster Breakdown

Top Three Players

1. Sam Sebastian, 25, center
2. Gian Guiliano, 31, center
3. Arlie Lozano, 32, goalie 

Forwards: The Wizards have elite talent on the top line with Sam Sebastian, who is a 3x All-Star and 1x Best Forward at just 25, and last season's addition of Gian Guiliano who is a 6x All-Star and won three championships with the Heralds. Guiliano is a natural center but he has been moved to right wing to play alongside Sebastian. Young speedy winger Rod Levin rounds out the top line. A second unit of Mark Kaczor, Andrew Lomax, and Andy Baldauff is an intriguing blend of veteran experience and high end talent. The team is excited about Bauldauff, 28, growing into a staple middle-six centerman. The third line features a pair of heady veterans in Ray Patsko and team captain Wade Guerin along with young winger Fritz Begley. The Wizards have prioritized hockey IQ and versatility in their roster building with no enforcers or goons. Their fourth line features potential with rookie Paul Rathke, who projects as an above average middle-six winger. Jeff Dawson is a fringe center but has already shown an ability to beat the odds, along with undrafted winger Donny Worley who has turned heads in camp and earned a roster spot.

Defensemen: Alternate captain Joseph Van Deen is 36 but still a borderline elite defender despite losing a step. 23-year-old Ernie Powers is already one of the best young defenders in the league with plenty of offensive vision and skill to boot. The rest of the unit is capable if not game-changing, with former undrafted prospect Sandy Yoder and the underachieving Jack Sperry on a second line. Sperry had a lot of expectations after being the 5th overall pick in 1988, but hasn't shown the drive to be great despite settling into solid second paring role. Veteran Micah Dortch and youngster Ed Brant form a solid third tandem to give the unit plenty of depth.

Goaltenders: The unit is headed by “Large” Arlie Lozano, figuratively and literally a huge presence in the net. The loquacious Big 88 was also League MVP in '88 and is still just 32. He helped lead the Wizards to a championship appearance in '89. He's an elite goalie and still capable of dragging a team into the playoffs. His backup is veteran journeyman Albert Beltrano, who also spent 4 years backing up Lozano in Guilden earlier in their careers. Beltrano, 34, is more than capable and could be starting for some teams in the league. Arlie and Albert have a unique bond off the ice, and are often seen on TV together or at other games doing color commentary. An intriguing prospect in the pipeline is Jerry Caldwell, 22, who shows serious promise if he can develop.

Three Key Storylines: 

• Can the team capitalize on elite talent? The Wizards roster boasts some of the best individual talents in the league but have been inconsistent in finding an ability to put all the pieces together to dominate.
  • Can the team staff organize their dynamic to lead the team? With Gary Wiz filling roles as minority owner and GM, some pundits think the coaching staff is hampered by Wisniewski being too involved in every decision which has led to some weird power dynamics within the staff.
  • Does the roster have enough grit on it? Wisniewski's decisions to focus on versatility has some believing the elite players don't have enough sandpaper behind them to keep teams honest in a hard-hitting Hatch Division.

Future Projection: The league realignment brings a lot of questions for members of the Hatch Division which looks particularly tough. The Wizards have the talent go anywhere from winning the league or division to missing the playoffs entirely. Pundits feel they can put it all together and build a winning season with a projected semi-finals finish.

Marquee Series Sig:

C&C much appreciated! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new presentation, detailed write-up, new logo and uniforms, anything. Also always happy to answer any questions about teams or Torland!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/17/2023 12:31 pm  #960

Nice! Question, will the Cobantle and Waterdee team logos and uniforms be revealed in alphabetical order (Chasonne, then Cobantle)? Or will they be revealed at the end?

Fictional sports league and country fanatic.
If cows were made of grass, would they feed on grass?

Board footera