Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2023 9:20 am  #941

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

I don’t recall if I have posted in this thread yet, but I am really enjoying what you have going so far! While I do have a soft spot for the Alko Wizards so far, I could potentially root for one of the upcoming expansion teams (especially as a 90’s kid)!

Also, is there enough of a market for video games in Torland? Like, is there a Nintendo of Torland, a Sega of Torland, etc? Just curious as a gamer. Looking forward to what this decade brings for the THL!

5/18/2023 11:20 am  #942

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

I don’t recall if I have posted in this thread yet, but I am really enjoying what you have going so far! While I do have a soft spot for the Alko Wizards so far, I could potentially root for one of the upcoming expansion teams (especially as a 90’s kid)!

Also, is there enough of a market for video games in Torland? Like, is there a Nintendo of Torland, a Sega of Torland, etc? Just curious as a gamer. Looking forward to what this decade brings for the THL!

I like to think that Torland has one of the most successful gaming companies in the world, known for merging Nintendo's soft, animated style with EA's sim sport formula..... I only like to think this because the idea of getting to play as John Roszak in a Tanooki suit makes me laugh. 

5/19/2023 12:24 am  #943

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

I like to think that Torland has one of the most successful gaming companies in the world, known for merging Nintendo's soft, animated style with EA's sim sport formula..... I only like to think this because the idea of getting to play as John Roszak in a Tanooki suit makes me laugh. 

Rainbow Rink in THL'97? I wish there could be fictional stadiums and teams that you can play against like in Madden, that could be a fun idea in the games.

Fictional sports league and country fanatic.
If cows were made of grass, would they feed on grass?

5/25/2023 5:56 pm  #944

I'm working on recreating this league in Franchise Hockey Manager (for personal use) and I thought you might be interested in a couple of my attempts:

Keep up the great work!

Last edited by GoFishTN (5/25/2023 5:56 pm)

6/06/2023 7:37 am  #945

GoosetavoMan wrote:

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

Rainbow Rink in THL'97? I wish there could be fictional stadiums and teams that you can play against like in Madden, that could be a fun idea in the games.

Okay, hear me out here. THL Hitz 2003. Now that just hits right on so many levels right there.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/06/2023 4:22 pm  #946

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

GoosetavoMan wrote:

Okay, hear me out here. THL Hitz 2003. Now that just hits right on so many levels right there.

Correction.  It hitz right on so many levels.   And yes it does.

6/06/2023 10:27 pm  #947

Stickman wrote:

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

GoosetavoMan wrote:

Correction.  It hitz right on so many levels.   And yes it does.

My mistake, I will do better next time.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)

6/06/2023 10:55 pm  #948

Abrieden Bucks

About the Team: An afterthought of league manipulation to combat the rival UHA, the Abrieden Bucks joined the league in 1979 to gain a foothold in the massive Bancana-Abrieden metropolitan market. The Bucks leaned into their stepchild status and focused on creating a fun experience for the fans in Abrieden and quickly became a lovable underdog team in the league. The Bucks have been on the forefront of innovation in fan experience. The Pancake Toss is now iconic in league lore. Their unlikely run to the Finals in 1982 put a stamp on their status as fun-loving underdogs with a competitive streak, illustrated by the fact that they've only made the playoffs 4 times in 13 years of existence but have been able to stay relevant in a league still holding on to old traditions. The Bucks are in the Rankin Division.

Ownership and Management: The Bucks are owned by Larry Lamb, a local businessman and beloved figure in the league. Lamb's unique ownership style has shaped the Bucks into one of the most unique organizations in the league and he has typically been unafraid to try new things. Lamb, 60, is known for his philanthropic work around Abrieden.

The coaching and management staff were all hired in 1990 after Lamb cleaned house and fired coach Warren Barton after longtime GM Jasper Brannon retired. Former Captains and Glaciers assistant Arthur Cohen was brought in to be GM and first-time pro head coach Darren Jefferson, 43, was hired to run the bench. Jefferson had previously coached at Isles State. Former longtime Blazers assistant coach Trent Everett was hired to bring some experience to the staff. Everett was also the first head coach for the Bucks in their first season. 

City and Team Arena: Clarenrane Arena in Abrieden was built for the Bucks' inaugural season in 1979 and is still fairly new and in excellent condition. Owned primarily by Lamb with a minor interest owned by the city, Clarenrane is a top-notch facility, among the best in the league. Abrieden is part of the massive Bancana metropolitan area and shares a market (and division) with the Bancana Kings who are their primary rivals. Abrieden is definitely has its own personality and small city feel so residents don't feel lost in the grandeur of Bancana. The city itself is the 35th largest, but part of the 2nd largest metro area behind Alko.

(Previous identity: 1986-1991 Abrieden Bucks)

Team Brand and Identity: The Masked Antler with the pancake roundel is an iconic part of THL imagery but Larry Lamb wanted to embrace the change with Elite Vision and do something new. He was inspired by his grandma's old patch quilt and sent a rough drawing to Steele and asked to do a modern take on it. The geometric buck head utilizes simple shapes and angles which carries over into the new striping and number system. The thick angled sleeve stripes are the new defining look of the uniforms. Cream is exchanged for a sleek gray to pair with a darkened navy and a brighter gold. Both sets are now hemmed in gray and have gold collars. The away jersey has a navy shoulder yoke. The new number system trades in the classic athletic numbers for a bold angular sans serif with double outlines.

Roster Breakdown:

Top Three Players

(1) Byron Schwartz, 22, defenseman
(2) Josef Tyoma, 20, forward
(3) Gale Muncy, 20, defenseman

Forwards: 20-year-old Russian forward Josef Tyoma is the centerpiece of the offense. The former #3 overall pick has shown excellent promise, though he is perhaps better suited to move to his more natural wing position. Stan Saucier is a serviceable winger suited more for a middle-six role. Ismo Takala the speedy Icelander heads up the right wing and is an electric player in space. Where the team lacks top-end talent, it makes up for in a solid middle-six with the second and third lines. Osborne, Varney, and Gage are young, tough, and talented with excellent two-way play. A third line composed of veteran team captain Thad Bowlin, veteran Veronda and a young Mo Burge offers plenty of grit and defensive toughness. A heavy fourth line headlined by the great enforcer Art Greco is as vicious as they come.

Defensemen: The best part of the roster is Abrieden's young top pairing. Former #2 overall pick Byron Schwartz is already considered a consummate professional on and off the ice and many think he will be the future captain of the Bucks with All-Star potential. His pairing mate in Gale Muncy is one of the most underrated young players in the league. Jonathan Mras, Johnie Shipley, and Fred Zawisza are all young above average players, each with the potential to break out to an upper echelon. Mickey Sterling is an intriguing young prospect who scouts think will find his footing after a slow start in the league.

Goaltenders: New addition Jarkko Bergstrom headlines the position. The 25-year-old Swede had good success in Narva and with the high cost to acquire him, the Bucks are relying on him to be a bell cow for the franchise. Bergstrom was an All-Star in 1988 and the team hopes the former #4 pick can continue to develop. 1990 2nd-round pick Isaiah August is the backup. He spent his first season in Hadenfield with good results before splitting starts with Lou Branson last season to middling success. Branson is now 37 and figures to be primarily the third goalie. The Bucks have no young prospects in the pipeline.

Three Key Storylines:

• Can they take the next step forward? On a 6-year playoff drought, the Bucks are experiencing some growing pains for the first time as a franchise. Their draft day trade for goalie Jarkko Bergstrom was a big move but the roster needs a lot work that the extra draft capital could have been used for to make improvements.
  • Which young Buck will step up? Gone are the days of Suvak, Rundstrom, or even Wuopio. Young players like Tyoma, Takala, and Schwartz have yet to prove themselves in the THL. Tyoma (3rd overall) and Schwartz (2nd overall) are top picks entering their second contracts and the team still doesn't know what they have in them.
  • Is Jefferson the right coach? First-time head coach Darren Jefferson has received a lot of heat lately with pundits wondering if he's the right choice to bring the Bucks into a new era. He has the support of owner Lamb and GM Cohen, but Cohen also needs to prove himself in his first stint as a THL general manager.

Future Projection: The Bucks have plenty of excellent young building blocks. If a few of them can progress to the next level and the team can add a few more scoring pieces, they could contend for division titles in the next few seasons.

Marquee Series Sig:

C&C much appreciated! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new presentation, detailed write-up, new logo and uniforms, anything. Also always happy to answer any questions about teams or Torland!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/06/2023 10:59 pm  #949

While I’ll miss the pancake, HOLY SMOKES THE QUILT BUCK IS BEAUTIFUL! Also, the presentation blew me out of the water.

6/07/2023 12:29 am  #950

That logo has a nice charm to it, I like the geometric quilt style of the buck's head and the addition of the gray makes the team's identity perfect, I hope they keep the silver on other future identities.

Last edited by GoosetavoMan (6/07/2023 2:22 pm)

Fictional sports league and country fanatic.
If cows were made of grass, would they feed on grass?

Board footera