Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2021 7:47 pm  #771

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Nice!  Congrats Electrics!  Especially loving that they and the Herons have had 2 competitive championship series'!  They might never have a Anchors/Whales level of rivalry, but it's always a pleasure to see two successful franchises go at it repeatedly for championships!

3/08/2021 9:08 pm  #772

Congratulation Kavalos Electrics, you guys earned it!

3/14/2021 11:03 pm  #773

1986 THL OFFSEASON

The new THL commissioner, Pete Byrd, negotiated a new longterm CBA deal with TUHP president Rod Temple. After the temporary CBA for the shortened '85 season, Temple looked to gain stability for the players while Byrd wanted to maximize profits more than his predecessor. A 5-year deal was reached through 1990.

It was rumored that Len Neville, 76, may have been gauging interest on selling the Fort Bevin Rockets. Other rumors circulated that Barbarians' owner Dick Valentine, 71, was looking to jettison the franchise and move his business dealings back to Chasonne. Meanwhile in Lecayne, Donovan Marroquin is a popular owner but with the Saints' recent failings, it was reported that he was struggling to keep the club financially afloat. 

Notable Retirements

The man who needs no introduction and is known simply by his first name decided to finally hang up his skates after an illustrious professional career. The great Geno Pasternak amassed a stellar resume through 24 seasons of pro hockey. The Russian-born center was convinced to sign by Leo Rankin at the young age of 19 to come join the newly formed Yubay Falcons in the fledgling THL. He quickly turned into one of the bright faces of the league after orchestrating some early upsets in the playoffs before leading the Sava Side to their first championship in 1965. After 12 years and 3 Cups in Yubay, a feud with interim owner Barry Boyle forced a trade to the Portarra Pioneers. He led the Pioneers to the semi-finals in the first year but injuries hampered his second season. After a strong third season the Pioneers GM Scott Hauser agreed to trade him back to his beloved Falcons. Firmly in the third act of his career, Geno proceeded to drag the Falcons back into the playoffs and soar back to the top of the league as he logged a pair of MVP's in 1978-1979 and took the Falcons to the Cup in 1981 but came up short against the red-hot Heralds. After a strong showing in 1983, Geno planned to play one final season in 1984 as the team struggled, but with the '85 riots and subsequent short season, he played a final 24th season to cap off a magical career.

24 Seasons
3x Marcotte Cups (1965, 1969, 1970)
4x League MVP (1967, 1969, 1979, 1980)
3x Best Forward (1969, 1979, 1980)
17x All-Star (1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982) [9 All-Golds]
2x Finals MVP (1969, 1970)
Best Rookie (1962)

The gregarious Vince Van Swedden also called it quits with Geno after a 17-year career in the Sava Side. Van Swedden never quite lived up to the hype but was a capable scorer and favored teammate of Pasternak and his big personality was a hit in Yubay.

Neptunes great Kris Kotulak put in his papers after 21 seasons. Kotulak was part of the legendary 1965 draft class where he went #3 to Narva. The slick scoring forward nearly single-handedly carried the Neptunes to the Cup in 1976 where they beat the favored Anchors. A 2-time Best Forward and 12-time All-Star, Kotulak also helped lead Narva to a second Cup win in 1978. His #11 sweater will be retired in Narva.

Longtime Glacier and fan favorite forward Ferdinand Hendrix finally hung up his skates after a 19-year career in the Niko Side. Hendrix made an early All-Star impact but settled into a role as a dependable forward and team leader that carried through three Cup wins. Hendrix's #21 sweater is a popular choice in Yubay as he was very active in the community and the team is considering retiring or at least honoring it.

Forward Kevin Korycki retired after 14 years with the Fort Bevin Rockets where he was instrumental in leading the team to their only championship banner in 1979. The 5-time All-Star was a quiet leader by example and carried the Rockets' offense as the expansion franchise forged an identity of toughness.

Coaching Carousel

The Glaciers fired HC Wade Rhodes and cleaned house of the entire staff, including longtime GM Roger Beauregard. The Anchors did not renew HC Sam Bennett's contract and instead hired Frank Loomis, 47, to helm the team and brought in Rhodes as an assistant. The Glaciers hired Bennett and brought in Captains' AC Arthur Cohen. They also hired former Saints GM Buddy Wimberly. The Captains hired a new AC in Roy Singletary, 42, to groom as Walton Pruitt's replacement.

Notable Free Agents

Former Heralds forward Sten Zaal made a surprise decision to sign with the Pioneers on a 4-year deal. The Quebel Crusaders landed the coveted defenseman Xavier Lucero who joins his hometown team on a 5-year deal. The Kodiaks signed former Saints goalie Jack MacCready to a 3-year deal.

Forward Karolis Kazlauskas, 30, formerly with the Falcons, was courted heavily by many teams but decided to sign with the Bancana Kings on a 5-year deal. The Kings also re-signed F Cameron Sallee to a 2-year deal.

The Heralds again made a significant push to sign goalie Elvis Pepper but they couldn't agree to the terms and Pepper was going to re-sign with the Glaciers on another 1-year deal but the ownership flashed more cash and Pepper relented, signing a 6-year deal with Chasonne.

The Falcons signed former Anchors F Irwin Duffy to a 3-year deal.

The Anchors convinced hometown kid F Jack Kovak, former #1 pick by the Saints, to sign a 4-year deal with them. It's a huge score for the rebuilding Anchors.

Notable Trades and Signings

The Whales orchestrated a sign-and-trade with Kirlow to send pending free agent G Brian Mahaffey to the Whales with a 5-year contract for G Claude Stoll and F Ronnie Mugavero. Mahaffey grew up in Portarra and gives the Whales a veteran netminder to pair with Zeke Frand. Since the Kodiaks would have lost Mahaffey anyway, it helps provide depth during their rebuilding.

The Saints, embracing a full rebuild after a failed attempt with F Pekka Jokinen, traded him to the Swans for the 20th-overall pick and F Buddy Cates. It's a stunning end to a rocky and short-lived relationship after Jokinen didn't fit in with the Saints and after the departure of Kovak and MacCready, ownership decided to jettison the former MVP. For the Swans it's a big signing for a team who was on the doorstep to the Cup last season.

1986 Amateur Player Draft

With the shortened draft from the previous season there was an influx of talent for the '86 draft, especially from the international academies who had delayed entry. This allowed the Romanov brothers to declare for the draft together, with Rafi being 19 and Sami being 18. Hailing from Ukraine and playing youth leagues in Russia, the Romanovs are just 14 months apart and both supremely talented forwards. They were prepared to play for different teams but did inquire if any teams might be willing to draft them together.

A blockbuster pre-draft trade shook the whole league. The Kodiaks, owners of the 2nd-overall pick, wanted both Romanovs and worked out a trade with Alko for the 1st-overall pick. They sent F Andrew Lomax and F Ray Patsko, 1987 1st-round pick, and 1988 2nd-round pick to the Wizards for draft rights and F Michael Mixon.

1 – KIR (via ALK) – F Rafi Romanov (Russia)
The elder Romanov is a hellacious center with a killer faceoff, can play both ways and possesses a hyperactive net presence. A natural leader, Rafi is intense, talks a lot, and plays hard.

2 – KIR – F Sami Romanov (Russia)
The younger Romanov is more of a pure scorer with slick handles and quick skates. Sami likes to work the wings and has a smooth slapshot from the corners. A quieter personality but leads by example.

3 – KRK – D Len Rutkowski (Poland)
The need works out with BPA, as Rutkowski graded out very highly as a defenseman. The young Captains need a presence on the blue line.

4 – PA – D Adrian Zientek (Poland)
Zientek was one of the holdovers from the short draft the previous year and an extra year of seasoning has him prepared to step in right away and lead the defense in Port Alrene.

5 – SIN – F Stan Milosevic (Serbia)
The Serpents need all the talent they can get and the big Serbian should be able to help take the load off of Kedzierski on the top line.

6 – YBG – G Jussi Pentti (Finland)
The Glaciers just lost Elvis Pepper to free agency and signed Lou Branson replace him but couldn't afford to pass up a top prospect like Pentti. 

7 – LEC – F Armando Wolfe
The Saints need bodies at this point and Wolfe is a hometown kid who is one of the highest nationally rated prospects. He has a high ceiling if Lecayne can focus on his development.

8 – NAR – F Mike Mott
The Neptunes have an aging team but still feel they can contend after Kris Kotulak's retirement. Those are big shoes for Mott to fill but he's a nice forward prospect who can play right away.

9 – KUR – D Savva Krupin (Russia)
The Killers rushed their card up to the podium to select Krupin who will be a welcome addition to a crumbling defensive corps.

10 – CHA – F Simon Fowler
The Heralds pass on some better defensive prospects to bring in Fowler after losing Sten Zaal in free agency.

11 – YUB – G Mac McFarlane
12 – BAN – D Lemuel Schmitz
13 – ABR – F Alden Varney
14 – GLD – F Johnie Greco
15 – QUE – D Robert Hunter
16 – PTP – F Isaac Sterling
17 – FTB – D Samuel Paulson
18 – PRE – F Alphonso Torrance
19 – KAV – G Olin Schuster
20 – LEC (via VEN) – D Chase Stephenson
21 – POR – F Shaun Park
22 – TRO – D Jeremy Harness

Team Identity Changes

The two teams who entered the league together in 1979 both made uniform changes.

1986 Abrieden Bucks

Previous Identity: 1979-1985 Abrieden Bucks

Larry Lamb and the Bucks decided to make wholesale changes to their uniform set for the first time since their inception in 1979 along with introducing a new special alternate jersey to replace their previous special set from 1980. They simplified the logo, dropping the famed "Pancake" and focusing on the antlered A and goalie mask. The very classic and subdued striping gives way to a much more vibrant look with angled striping and detailed hems. The shoulder yokes are removed and TV numbers put in their place. The jersey numbers now have outlines. The special jersey continues the mustard gold theme from the previous set with the updated striping from the new set. It will be worn at select home games. Lamb believes the new uniforms will better showcase the brash and raucous style of the Bucks and their fans.

1986 Quebel Crusaders

Previous Identity: 1979-1985 Quebel Crusaders

The generally conservative Crusaders surprised some with a new entry in the uniforms department by changing up their look. The simple sleeve cap striping from their inception in 1979 gives way to a fully striped sweater sleeve with an inset shoulder yoke. Matching hem stripes are also added. The old block font is changed to an oversized sans serif which owner Andrew Conti hopes will "keep up with the times." The look is definitely much gaudier than their previous one.

C&C always appreciated!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/15/2021 6:22 am  #774

Lacayne Saints: Sounds like the Saints are in some serious trouble if they're having financial issues.  Might take a miracle surprise season to keep them from either folding or having to get new owners real quick.  Not looking good at all!

Romanov Brothers:  Interesting to see 2 brothers be rated as the top 2 prospects in the same draft, the Kirlow Kodiaks managing to convince the Alko Wizards to trade the #1 pick in order to draft both of them is pretty surprising, (or would be, if not for the fact that the Wizards were involved in this trade...).   If the brothers both turn out great, it'll be one heck of a haul for the Kodiaks, and well worth the price of admission.   Course, if they flop (or at least if Rafi, the first pick the Kodiaks traded for, does), then the Wizards get a great haul for a busted draft pick.

Bucks and Crusaders new jerseys: The Abrieden Bucks' new look is mostly great, I do wish the logo on the home set's hockey mask would be white to match the other jerseys, but it still looks good.  Sadly though, the Bucks' finally matured as a franchise.  As a young kid, we all love pancakes, but eventually we all get old and realize despite tasting like nothingness, oatmeal really is healthier for you, so you force yourself to eat it because it's responsible and not because it's fun.  In the same way, the Bucks' are not a young franchise anymore.  No longer should they have a goofy pancake on the back of the logo because it's time to grow up, the fun filled days are over, the Bucks now look like a responsible looking team that won't get made fun of by other teams' fans.  Really, I just wanted to go on a random tangent about pancakes, but I had fun with that.

The Crusaders definitely look a bit more wild, but I kind of like the new striping, gives them a little more personality.  They didn't do anything with the logo, though.   Meaning that I still don't see any Q in there, lol!  

Great write up as always!

3/15/2021 12:47 pm  #775

Farewell, Geno. Thanks for all the memories, and enjoy retirement... 

Signed, a Captains fan

Last edited by dvdbubba27 (3/15/2021 12:48 pm)

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

3/15/2021 4:12 pm  #776

As a Glaciers fan, I'm certainly glad to see Pasternak retiring, but even I can't deny the impact the man left on the game. Respect to you, and good luck in retirement. *salutes*

I'm a big fan of the Bucks' new jerseys, but I can't say the same about the Crusaders. I don't think it's a bad look, just a downgrade from the previous set.

3/15/2021 9:59 pm  #777

WE LOVE YOU GENO!
WE DO!
WE LOVE YOU GENO!
WE DO!
OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
GENO, WE LOVE YOU!

It's gonna be a different league with the goat hanging up the skates, that's for sure. Hoping both Geno and Van Swedden a farewell after terrific careers in the Sava Side.

Both uniform changes look really sharp, I'm especially a fan of the whole set for Abrieden8.6.1

3/16/2021 5:26 am  #778

Is it fair for me to say that Geno is the Gretzky of the THL (at the time when he's still playing with the successful Oilers that dominated the NHL)? I mean, only a few players take their career lifespan of 20+ years, and Geno is one of them.

Also, how goes Chasonne? Anything wrong with them?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

3/16/2021 5:25 pm  #779

Stickman wrote:

Bucks and Crusaders new jerseys: The Abrieden Bucks' new look is mostly great, I do wish the logo on the home set's hockey mask would be white to match the other jerseys, but it still looks good.  Sadly though, the Bucks' finally matured as a franchise.  As a young kid, we all love pancakes, but eventually we all get old and realize despite tasting like nothingness, oatmeal really is healthier for you, so you force yourself to eat it because it's responsible and not because it's fun.  In the same way, the Bucks' are not a young franchise anymore.  No longer should they have a goofy pancake on the back of the logo because it's time to grow up, the fun filled days are over, the Bucks now look like a responsible looking team that won't get made fun of by other teams' fans.  Really, I just wanted to go on a random tangent about pancakes, but I had fun with that.

I'm just imagining a grouchy Stickman in the morning eating his super bland oats wishing he could have pancakes and syrup while perusing the THL news. 
So thanks for that!

QCS wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Bucks' new jerseys, but I can't say the same about the Crusaders. I don't think it's a bad look, just a downgrade from the previous set.

Thanks! I don't think it's an improvement for Quebel either, but it's the 80's and teams did things sometimes that were downgrades.

Section30 wrote:

Both uniform changes look really sharp, I'm especially a fan of the whole set for Abrieden

Thanks!

FC Macbeth wrote:

Is it fair for me to say that Geno is the Gretzky of the THL (at the time when he's still playing with the successful Oilers that dominated the NHL)? I mean, only a few players take their career lifespan of 20+ years, and Geno is one of them.

That's definitely an interesting question. I think Geno certainly has some Gretzky-like qualities to him. I always imagined him being more of a Gordie Howe type though, in the sense that he was arguably the best player of his era before the scoring explosion of the late 70's and early 80's. (It could be my reticence to declare anyone a Wayne Gretzky just yet) But he was certainly a special player with an argument for best ever in the league so far.

Like any great team, the Heralds are having to retool after their championship runs. They still have a talented team and just added a young goalie with major talent in Elvis Pepper so they seem primed to jump right back into contention in the Elam after a down year.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/17/2021 6:35 am  #780

Steelman wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

That's definitely an interesting question. I think Geno certainly has some Gretzky-like qualities to him. I always imagined him being more of a Gordie Howe type though, in the sense that he was arguably the best player of his era before the scoring explosion of the late 70's and early 80's. (It could be my reticence to declare anyone a Wayne Gretzky just yet) But he was certainly a special player with an argument for best ever in the league so far.

Like any great team, the Heralds are having to retool after their championship runs. They still have a talented team and just added a young goalie with major talent in Elvis Pepper so they seem primed to jump right back into contention in the Elam after a down year.

The reason why I'd say this is because I failed to take into account on other legendary players within the era. Richard, Howe, Hull, and Orr are examples of the best players within the era of the 80s. Usually, when I think of great players of past years, Gretzky has always come to my mind ignoring other legendary players while he was still playing, especially his teammates Messier, McSorley, and Tikkanen.

In terms of a fictional story, I'm sure you have heard of the Professional Hockey League from two years ago. Arguably, the league's version of the Great One is Sam 'Skippy' Cleveland. He's an absolute legend most notably for the New York Civics and has collected a load of accolades to his name until his retirement. Pasternak here is no exception because of the success he has gained throughout his long and prosperous journey.

Also, great to see Chasonne are still a top team in Torland. Hopefully, they stay consistently good for the coming future.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

Board footera