Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2020 3:22 pm  #571

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

It’s mid season so I know it won’t be addressed, but the handling of the merger isn’t looking good. The conscious decision to not have an expansion draft by the commissioner knowing that the talents split by the teams who weren’t being put into the THL were so much less than THL caliber and using it as a justification to not have the draft is bad business. I don’t know if it was to make a point about the THL being the league in Torland or not, but that doesn’t make sense because they had already won the battle. I hope things look up from here.

I'll admit to not being much of a hockey historian, but if I recall right, didn't the NHL do something very similar to this to the old WHA teams that they absorbed?  Still agree that it's an amateur move to would certainly look bad, but if I'm right about this, that may be where the idea came from?

7/02/2020 3:33 pm  #572

Stickman wrote:

It’s mid season so I know it won’t be addressed, but the handling of the merger isn’t looking good. The conscious decision to not have an expansion draft by the commissioner knowing that the talents split by the teams who weren’t being put into the THL were so much less than THL caliber and using it as a justification to not have the draft is bad business. I don’t know if it was to make a point about the THL being the league in Torland or not, but that doesn’t make sense because they had already won the battle. I hope things look up from here.

I'll admit to not being much of a hockey historian, but if I recall right, didn't the NHL do something very similar to this to the old WHA teams that they absorbed?  Still agree that it's an amateur move to would certainly look bad, but if I'm right about this, that may be where the idea came from?

Actually, there was an expansion draft after the NHL-WHA merger. There was also a dispersal draft for players signed to the WHA teams that did not join the NHL in 1979.

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

7/02/2020 3:38 pm  #573

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Stickman wrote:

Actually, there was an expansion draft after the NHL-WHA merger. There was also a dispersal draft for players signed to the WHA teams that did not join the NHL in 1979.

This also shows in the outcome of that season. It was nowhere near as lopsided as the THL merger.

7/02/2020 3:48 pm  #574

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Stickman wrote:

Pettiness will be Hatch's downfall. He justified no expansion draft by dispersing the disbanding UHA rosters to the incoming teams. To be fair, they did have mostly first choices (except for Kurohara who got the shaft) in an historically talented draft, but certainly not enough to compensate for drastic differences in team depth compared to the established THL teams.

On the flip side though, three of the merger teams did initially better than the recent expansions in Abrieden and Quebel. Abrieden only won 5 games in their first year, and Quebel won 13, so by that standard the merger teams seemingly outperformed those teams. Going back further, the Saints and Barbarians won 10 and 16 games respectively in their first seasons. So this is probably just par for the course for how Hatch has treated new teams.

Something else of note, ties are at an all-time high now. Fort Bevin had 28 ties, the Whales 26, and Port Alrene 24. Prestonburg, despite being a merger team still had 25 ties. The league isn't too happy with all the ties and measures will be taken to improve games and standings. The scoring output across the league was actually more balanced than the previous few years though. (although 1978 was one of the most balanced seasons ever)

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/02/2020 4:18 pm  #575

Just an uneasy feeling created. The path will readjust, but that won’t happen without some problems. Luckily, the Kings share a market with the second worst team in their division, and not a league powerhouse. This will give them a few years to impress. In my mind, whichever one takes off first will dominate that market, putting the other on life support for the rest of their existence (like the Arizona Coyotes). The Blazers and Swans are an interesting case, (if I remember correctly) fighting with each other to capture a region that’s newer to the THL, but tripping themselves up in the process. I say one stays then one comes back later when size and interest can hold it. Andddd the Killers should be fine unless they become so incapable that the Indy team there gains more popularity.

Wait a sec... the Vorackberg calf became a bull this year. It’s time for the Walker Era in Portarra... hell it is time for the Walker Era in the THL.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (7/02/2020 4:37 pm)

7/02/2020 4:34 pm  #576

We Love Pasta, We Do!
We Love Pasta, We Do!
Oooooooh Pasta We Love You!

8/05/2020 12:21 am  #577

It's been a crazy month to say the least. Thanks for y'all's patience and support of this series. It's not going anywhere, life just took a few unforeseen turns. It's been tough to find time to work on any of my creative projects. However, I'm excited for these next few seasons of the THL. That being said, here's the start of the 1980 playoffs!

1980 THL PLAYOFFS

WILDCARD ROUND

7 Kirlow Kodiaks vs 10 Yubay Falcons
The wildcard series started off with a bang as the first two games went deep into overtime, each team winning one at home. The Kodiaks were able to wear down the Falcons who couldn't get any help for a worn out Pasternak and advanced to the quarterfinals. [KIR wins 3-1]

8 Port Alrene Anchors vs 9 Trowburgh Herons
From the outset the Anchors were clearly overmatched as the Herons made quick work of them behind clutch scoring from Mozzy Turk. [TRO wins 3-0]

QUARTERFINALS

1 Portarra Pioneers vs 9 Trowburgh Herons
The Herons were game and gave the Pioneers a run for their money. But the hallmark balanced team play of the Pioneers prevailed as a wild 6-5 OT finish in Game 5 set up a close 2-1 OT win in Game 6 to move on. [PTP wins 4-2]

2 Narva Neptunes vs 7 Kirlow Kodiaks
The Neptunes got their wish and started off well, winning two games at home. The Kodiaks though were not to be disturbed and rattled off four straight wins to stun Narva and leave the normally quiet Kris Kotulak fuming after Game 6.

3 Kavalos Electrics vs 6 Kirkenport Captains
The fears of a mismatch in speed were well-founded as the Electrics blitzed the Kirk Boys for four games to log the sweep. [KAV wins 4-0]

4 Chasonne Heralds vs 5 Yubay Glaciers
The Glaciers notched a pair of clutch overtime wins but three shutouts from the stout Heralds defense gave Chasonne the edge as Frankie Albertelli continued his wild spree. [CHA wins 4-2]

SEMI-FINALS

1 Portarra Pioneers vs 7 Kirlow Kodiaks
The Kodiaks stunned Portarra in Game 1 but the Pioneers quickly regrouped under the steady play of Jonathan Walker and delivered four straight victories against Kirlow to send them to their first Finals berth. [PTP wins 4-1]

3 Kavalos Electrics vs 4 Chasonne Heralds
In what figured to be a fast-paced matchup, both teams came out playing hard with two wild OT finishes to begin the series. Stendahl and Cain versus Guiliano, Bertucci and Albertelli. In the end, the deeper squad of the Heralds squeaked ahead to win in 6 games. [CHA wins 4-2]

Up next: The Pioneers and Heralds compete for the Marcotte Cup

C&C always appreciated!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/05/2020 1:26 am  #578

Johnny Walker, looks smooth and puts you on your ass quick. Here’s one for Ferdinand, Vorackberg’s pride!

8/05/2020 9:02 am  #579

Kodiaks what is wrong with you and glad to see this back.

8/05/2020 12:20 pm  #580

Nice to see this come back!  REALLY nice to see the Heralds back in the finals!    Should be a great series against the Pioneers, who are looking for their 1st championship.   Aesthetically speaking, this might be my favorite finals match up so far, as these are two of the best looking teams in the league to me!

Board footera