Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2020 11:36 pm  #561

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

I will never not like seeing all the teams' uniforms and logos all together, looks great. The new alternates and Saints redesign look good too. 
The expanded playoffs and seasons are going to be fun to watch play out, it'll be an exciting season for sure. 
Finally, the Indy League teams is a cool tidbit, some of those names are fantastic. My favorite have got to be the Blazin' Angels. My mind definitely thought of the wrong Blazin' at first lol.

Thanks! Someday I'll design uniforms and identities for all of the Indy League teams, there are lots of unique names and potential ideas for them. There are currently 64 total Indy teams.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/25/2020 11:40 pm  #562

I thought it might be cool to do a preseason power rankings as we enter into the first season of the new decade and four new teams in the fold. These are based on my objective opinion on each team's roster, coaching staff, depth, recent success or failure, and general outlook. All of these rankings and predictions were done before I did any simming of the next season.

Oracle Sports Network: 1980 Preseason Power Rankings

1 – Narva Neptunes
Despite their loss via sweep last season against Kirlow, the Neptunes have a fantastic squad still primed for Cup contention. The window is closing with F Kris Kotulak and D Gav Brankovic aging but the team is deep and can handle the rigors of the postseason right now. Prediction: Marcotte Cup berth

2 – Yubay Glaciers
Even with a Cup win in 1977, this team has still underachieved compared to the abundance of talent on the roster. F Pekka Jokinen headlines, G Tim Sagendorf has turned All-Puck, and the blue line is deep behind Marko Chayka. Focus will be key for the Niko Side. Prediction: Marcotte Cup berth

3 – Yubay Falcons
Nobody knows how long Geno Pasternak can still go at 38 but it would be unwise to count him out after a brilliant '79 season where he logged yet another MVP trophy. Team depth has strengthened. Goaltending is still weak but the team can win a lot of games. Prediction: Semi-Finals

4 – Kirkenport Captains
Don G is retired now but do the old Caps have one left run in them? They're old but they're also extremely experienced in winning ways. If Draper and Co can get some help from their depth, they have a chance to go out with a bang. Prediction: Semi-Finals

5 – Fort Bevin Rockets
The defending champs have a good team but depth is still a problem. Their path to a division title is in view, however, with downturns by the Anchors and Whales. G Geoff Thatchkin is clutch and D Pat Ossola and F Kevin Korycki are lethal. Another long playoff run will be tough to pull off though. Prediction: Quarterfinals

6 – Kirlow Kodiaks
The Kodiaks haven't had any success in raising banners, but they've sure mastered how to get to the dance. The squad is deeper than ever but chemistry has been an issue before. If they can gel together they have a chance to do some damage. Prediction: Quarterfinals

7 – Kavalos Electrics
A blip in the radar saw a postseason miss last season but the Kavs feel reloaded with rookie F Leo Stendahl in tow. D Darren Cain can carry a team from the blue line. Add a spike in scoring and the Skatebolts could be a force in the playoffs. Prediction: Quarterfinals

8 – Portarra Pioneers
The squad on the northside of Portarra have quietly been growing into a contender. Led by F Jonathan “Bull” Walker and a potent top line, D Thomas Nelissen is also a force on the blue line. If the goaltending can live up to their talent, they could make some noise. Prediction: Quarterfinals

9 – Chasonne Heralds
The rebuild is over and the young Heralds, led by F Gian Guiliano and F Robert Bertucci are joined by rookie Italian sensation D Frankie Albertelli. The net is a question mark but team depth has become stronger. The 5-year playoff drought could be over soon. Prediction: Wildcard

10 – Trowburgh Herons
The struggles in Trowburgh have been well-documented but since then the team has been slowly amassing talent that is now ready to break out. With their path seemingly set on a wildcard, F Mozzy Turk and company hope they can show their mettle. Prediction: Wildcard

11 – Port Alrene Anchors
The Anchors are a proud franchise but Ferdy Haight and Paul Kauffman don't have much juice left. F Dimtri Ranko will carry the team but come up just short of the playoffs. Prediction: Just Miss Playoffs

12 – Guilden Barbarians
The team is on the rise and showed their talent on a wild rampage to the playoffs before getting snuffed out by the Glaciers. They don't have a clear path to the playoffs but if F John Jurski can continue becoming consistent, the team has plenty of power. Prediction: Just Miss Playoffs

13 – Lecayne Saints
If one of the Elam Division teams stumbles, the Saints will be right there to squeak in. The team has grown and if rookie G Thurman Justus can hold down the net duties, F Jack Kovak and company could make big strides. Prediction: Middle-of-the-pack

14 – Quebel Crusaders
The team is not fun to play against, with D Bram Vandergert and a coaching staff that values hitting and trapping. They may not have a playoff squad yet but the Crusaders are making quick work of the rookie growing pains. Prediction: Middle-of-the-pack team everyone hates playing against

15 – Portarra Whales
The old stalwart Whales got old. The team is very mediocre outside of F Cal Capezzio, D Elton Savell, and G Scott Kemper. If things get out of hand early the team could be looking to jettison the roster and initiate a rebuild sooner than anticipated. Prediction: Mediocre middle-of-the-pack team

16 – Abrieden Bucks
The team got much better in just one offseason but in a top-heavy Rankin Division, there's virtually no chance for winning success. They'll have fun doing it though. Prediction: Top-5 Draft Pick

17 – Prestonburg Blazers
Out of all the merger teams, the Blazers seem to be the ones who could have the most immediate success-- albeit moderate. They have some nice talent though. Prediction: Top-5 Draft Pick

18 – Bancana Kings
The Kings are led by the incredibly talented Pete Lentini and the Sallee brothers, but their talent masked a lot of problems against lesser UHA teams. Prediction: Top-5 Draft Pick

19 – Vensessor Swans
The Swans signed F Evan Starling but first overall pick rookie G Andre Kabbani will need some time to adjust to the THL and the team lacks credible depth. Prediction: Top-5 Draft Pick

20 – Kurohara Killers
The team has some talent but zero depth and goaltending which will make winning games a real challenge, especially in an experienced division like the Willard. Prediction: 1st-Overall Draft Pick

6/26/2020 5:53 am  #563

Lots going on this offseason!

Merger: Glad it finally happened!  Pretty happy with who got brought into the THL, (especially the Swans, who are right there with the Heralds as my favorite team) out of the 6 possibilities, (I did like the Marauders, but it makes sense why they'd go.  The Wildcats were never my favorite due to it's suggestive nose).  Really excited to see how the 4 teams work out, though I'm sure it'll be rough for a few years.  

Jerseys: These all look good, though I also will miss the Saints' blue.   Sounds like it could come back eventually, which is nice!  

Divisional Allignment and Playoffs: I like the idea of having 4 divisions here, as there are still enough teams in each of them to not spread the amount of teams too thinly.  The Willard division is sort of funny because it has both Whale themed teams in it.  I'm kinda surprised the Killers weren't forced to change identities in order to join the league, (although I'm glad it didn't, they are a great looking team).   Love that there is a Rankin division, as Leo Rankin was probably one of the first big characters in the series!  The playoff route is pretty cool too.  10 teams in the playoffs seems like a lot, but it could result in a few underdog runs from lower seeds that'd be fun to watch!

I also like the pre-season rankings!  Gives you an idea of what to expect and if there are surprises, all the better!  Awesome work overall here as always!

6/26/2020 11:05 am  #564

Ok Kirlow you have one job this season, win a stupid cup!

6/26/2020 11:35 am  #565

Happy to see the Falcons and Glaciers in the same division again, that just means we get to beat them more 

6/30/2020 5:44 pm  #566

Breaking News: TUHP Scores a Big Win for the Players; Contract Reform Arrives to the THL with new CBA

Just two weeks before the 1980 regular was to start, a big announcement came from Rod Temple, who heads up the Torland Union of Hockey Players (TUHP), and Commissioner John Morgan Hatch of the THL. Since the merger talks from the former UHA, both sides had been heavily negotiating on the structure of player contracts in the league. The previous standard had been a reserve clause which essentially allowed teams to control a player's contract at their own will. The UHA, despite their major financial problems had instituted a contract-based system that gave players and agents more control over market value and contract length, as well as free agency.

Hatch and the THL owners initially balked at such changes but through the tireless work of Rod Temple, an agreement was reached for a tentative Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and the players. The CBA would be active for 5 years, to be renegotiated following the 1984 season.

Following this new development, each team was given a grace period to sign their players to individual contracts and players would not be allowed to switch teams unless traded until a contract was signed with their 1980 committed team. A standard rookie contract with a length of 3 years was implemented, including recently drafted 1980 rookies with the drafting team allowed to make a qualifying offer after the term expired to help maintain some continuity.

Among players who signed long contracts, Chasonne inked F Sten Zaal for 6 years, along with F Karolis Kazlauskas with the Falcons, F Jan Luc Ryba with the Herons, F Jonathan Walker with the Pioneers, D Darren Cain with the Electrics, G Arlie Lozano with the Barbarians, F Jack Kovak with the Saints, and F Cameron Sallee with the Kings.

The Glaciers signed F Pekka Jokinen to a 7-year deal, while the Kings also signed F Pete Lentini to a 7-year deal.

The announcement clearly opens up a whole new era of professional hockey in Torland and will be sure to cause some growing pains as the league advances.

Up next: 1980 Season

6/30/2020 11:59 pm  #567

Cardiac Cardinal wrote:

Long Time lerker of this site but decided to join. My favorite team in this will probably have to be the Bucks. I mean who would toss pancakes on to the ice during games? That’s just crazy. You have to like that.

Welcome to the series! Yeah, the Bucks are definitely an unorthodox team.

7/02/2020 12:48 am  #568

1980 THL SEASON

With four new teams, two new divisions, and a revamped playoff structure, the changes put extra emphasis on divisional play and brooding rivalries as the THL entered into the new decade with a bang. An explosion of talent and exciting play and games pushed the league to new heights as Commissioner Hatch's vision for the merger yielded immediate results.

Willard Division: It was the new member of the stalwart division that provided the spark in the league as the Portarra Pioneers leapt ahead of the league standings behind steady team play led by Jonathan Walker which cemented their Louis Trophy. The defending champs in Fort Bevin had a difficult year despite excellent play by D Pat Ossola as the Rockets failed to break out of the pack. The newcomers in Kurohara were bad as expected but kept things competitive. With both the Anchors and Whales on the cusp of rebuilds, it was Port Alrene who saw their old vets rise to the occasion and secure the 2nd-place spot in the division as F Dimitri Ranko again carried the team. The Whales played good hockey but outside of F Cal Capezzio they didn't carry much of a punch and fell behind early which will seemingly spell a full rebuild.

Hatch Division: As expected, the Neptunes returned in full force after their inglorious playoff exit last season. Kris Kotulak seem like a man possessed to show he could overcome the nasty concussion. Their main rivals in Kirlow played well even with several droughts which seemed to help galvanize their always tricky chemistry as they easily secured the 2nd-place spot. The Herons made big improvements as a their youngsters matured behind Mozzy Turk who earned his first All-Puck selection. Trowburgh qualified for the first Wildcard berth in the new playoff format. Down in the PVMA, crosstown rivals and THL newcomers Prestonburg and Vensessor both struggled as expected. The Blazers had a particularly stout defense, however, and the Swans showed signs of improvement late in the season.

Elam Division: The big story in the new Elam Division were the young Heralds busting out of the gate and asserting dominance. Gian Guiliano and Robert Bertucci showed great scoring prowess but it was the rookie Italian defenseman Frankie Albertelli who took the league by storm with incredible two-way play and a big trash-talking on the ice. Albertelli easily won Best Rookie and came two votes shy of Best Defenseman. The Kirk Boys seemed reinvigorated after a poignant first week of honoring Don G's retirement as it was the veteran Finnish defenseman Lauri Rikhard who carried the team to 2nd-place and a playoff berth as the Captains are looking at possibly a final run. Previous playoff surprise the Barbarians were very competitive, along with the improving Saints, but neither team could break out of the pack. The Crusaders, quickly establishing a reputation of tough, nasty defense, saw a dip in that department but improvements as a complete team, especially on offense.

Rankin Division: The two teams in Yubay were expected to dominate but instead it was the Kavalos Electrics who caught fire as the Third Swede, rookie forward Leo Stendahl, made an immediate impact as a primary scorer. The Kavs cruised to 40 wins and led the league in scoring while Darren Cain was stout on the blue line. The Glaciers' penchant for underachieving talent almost got out of hand but goalie Tim Sagendorf followed up a good season with a great one, earning Best Goalie as he kept them in the hunt as the offense struggled. In Sava Side, it was the opposite as the Falcons' defense disintegrated but a nearly superhuman effort by Geno Pasternak only added to his legend. He single-handedly carried the team in the final three weeks to a Wildcard berth and earned a second straight League MVP trophy to his growing hardware case. The wild Abrieden Bucks toned down their shenanigans a little bit, although Larry Lamb still found creative ways to engage fans, and the team took significant strides forward in their second season. The gregarious Second Swede, F Ric Rundstrom, injected major life into the offense and swagger of the team on the ice and complimented the stoic nature of F David Suvak. Across the river in Bancana, the Kings were high-flying on offense with Pete Lentini and the Sallee brothers, but team defense and a struggling Randy Wiseman in the net proved too much to overcome.

Playoff Preview

Wildcard Round

Kodiaks vs Falcons
The Kodiaks may have finally found some chemistry and have a much better defense than the Falcons. But the Sava Side has Geno Pasternak who can work miracles and wants to avenge their loss to Kirlow last year.

Anchors vs Herons
The Herons are favored here despite being the Wildcard due to having a better team. The Anchors are always formidable in the playoffs though, and if Dimitri Ranko could get some help, they could easily win.

Quarterfinals

Pioneers vs Wildcard
In the new format the top seeds won't know their matchups. The Pioneers cruised to a Louis Trophy and feel good about any matchup though. Their squad is well-rounded in all phases.

Neptunes vs Wildcard
Narva feels they're the best team in the league and are prepared for any matchup but are not-so-secretly hoping for a rematch with the Kodiaks.

Electrics vs Captains
The Kavs dominated so much some people aren't sure if it's a fluke. The Captains are focused but this matchup will be tough for them to match the speed of Kavalos. But if any team could do it, it's the Kirk Boys who know how to switch to heavy hockey when needed.

Heralds vs Glaciers
This is an intriguing matchup of a hot young team against a very talented but somewhat underachieving team. Will the young Heralds make their mark or will the Glaciers realize their talent?

C&C appreciated!

Up next: 1980 playoffs

7/02/2020 5:35 am  #569

Love the new season review format you have here!  Definitely make it easy to keep track of all the teams when it's broken down division by division!  Also enjoy the new Standings chart too!   

I forgot you give out 3 points for a win in your league, I was gonna say how weird it was for so many teams with 100+ points to be missing the playoffs!   As for the teams themselves, impressed by how quickly the Bucks got good!  I had somewhat expected them to be a joke franchise for a while there, slowing down on the antics must have done some good!  If anything, I expected the Crusaders to be a playoff contender first between the two since they have such a defensively oriented team.  Loving how great the Heralds suddenly got, doubt we make it too far this year, but it sounds like they'll be good for a while!

I'm gonna go with Neptunes vs. Glaciers for the final, with the Neptunes winning their 3rd title in... 5 years would it be?  Seems like they've gone the 2010's San Francisco Giants route if that is the case.

7/02/2020 1:39 pm  #570

It’s mid season so I know it won’t be addressed, but the handling of the merger isn’t looking good. The conscious decision to not have an expansion draft by the commissioner knowing that the talents split by the teams who weren’t being put into the THL were so much less than THL caliber and using it as a justification to not have the draft is bad business. I don’t know if it was to make a point about the THL being the league in Torland or not, but that doesn’t make sense because they had already won the battle. I hope things look up from here.

Board footera