Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2020 12:03 am  #421

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Absolutely love both the updates!

Port Arlene's new logo is classy and their jerseys match it perfectly.

As for Kavalos, love the Vancouver style flying skate with the bolt and nuclear symbol, very good look that fits the time perfectly.

5/04/2020 9:09 pm  #422

Port Alrene just found their perfect logo. It's a good look for them.

5/04/2020 9:15 pm  #423

I'm surprised at how drastic the reaction has been to Port Alrene's new look. I guess that happens when one of the original iconic franchises changes up their look. Definitely happens in real life! The PA monogram is actually one of the first pieces of art I did for Torland cities when I first started this project so to me it was probably more of a natural progression since Port Alrene's baseball team also uses that imagery. The anchor bottom may obscure the original design a bit but it was meant to be subtle anyway. I've been ruminating on a future update that may tweak it just a bit to more fully display the PA.

QCS wrote:

Wow, the Anchors changing is unexpected! I'm having a little trouble separating the "P" and "A", however. The jerseys themselves look great. As for Kavalos, the Skatebolt looks good, but I actually preferred the "prototype" look they used, especially the "Electrics" surrounding the primary. Either way, this is an upgrade over the old "KE" logo.

Thanks! I think we'll see the prototype look return when teams begin utilizing third sweaters at some point. I also have a special idea up my sleeve in the late 80's which could prompt a return of that look in particular.

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Love the Skatebolt! Not as much of a fan of the PA, my first reaction was that it was a 2, then an R, then I saw the PA. I like attempt, I think you could fit it in there but right now it's not working for me.

Well, you're a Whales fan so... 

Jk, I appreciate the feedback!

AJFFTW wrote:

Both the Anchors and Electrics got themselves great updates on their looks. Thumbs up from me

Thanks, glad you dig them!

Stickman wrote:

Definitely interested in finding out what the big announcement will be!  Thinking it's got to do with the UHA, maybe a merger?  

I have a feeling the Leyva family's change of owner will spark a change of fate for the Port Alrene Anchors.  Whether good or not, we'll see, (I'm personally betting on Whales fans being in for a happy period watching their rivals fail).  The redesign....well I personally can see the P and A, along with the Anchor.  It's definitely a downgrade over the classic Anchor design, but it's clear that it's supposed to be a downgrade, (though the jerseys in general are an upgrade, especially going back to the standard yoke).  Seems Tommy Boy wants to make sure it's obvious a new owner is in charge.  I like the story line here, should be fun to watch where one of the iconic franchises in THL go in this new era!

As for the Electrics, this is the first logo they've had that I've loved!  I like the Nuke symbol returning, but the main feature is definitely the Skatebolt, which is an awesome design choice!  This feels right for this team and I hope it sticks around for a long time!  Great job!

Also, totally forgot to mention how much I am loving the trainwreck known as the now Trowburgh Wolves.  I love how the logo still looks like it's in a P shape to reflect their old city.  Only they could do that.  I still hope they survive, even though it's more of a miracle that they didn't already fold.  I'd love to see them somehow be the team that survives in Trowburgh, (yeah, the Herons still exist, but they are a trainwreck too, lol).

Thanks! You always catch the personal storylines and I appreciate that. The Anchors have been ridiculously successful, thanks in no small part to the eternal play of Ferdy Haight. Once he and Paul Kauffman retire, it'll be pretty tough to establish a new era of Anchors hockey outside of Dimitri Ranko. Tom wants to ride the wave as long as he can and then he'll have his work cut out for him for sure. The Anchors don't have much in the pipeline right now, as they've sacrificed a lot to maintain this high level of championship play so it may be a tall task to live up to the expectations built up in the Alrene Isles.

As far as Trowburgh... it remains to be seen but the Wolves' situation is pretty dicey.

Section30 wrote:

Absolutely love both the updates!

Port Arlene's new logo is classy and their jerseys match it perfectly.

As for Kavalos, love the Vancouver style flying skate with the bolt and nuclear symbol, very good look that fits the time perfectly.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! 

osctheg wrote:

Port Alrene just found their perfect logo. It's a good look for them.

Thanks! Looks like the pro-Anchors crowd is starting to weigh in now. Ha!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/06/2020 5:11 pm  #424

Prestonburg looks solid, I like the striping a lot. The only thing left to improve is the logo. I think their purple and orange would look great on the ice.

Who cares what Trowsburgh looks like, they won't have any look within a season. You want to feel bad, but they gave themselves the death penalty. Couldn't even copy the line under the wolf to the other side to make some type of "T". 

The Anchors have an overall brand upgrade. The new logo is a lot more clean, I like the polished feel to it. Their original was clunky and felt like it was looking more and more out of date with each year. Striping is fantastic and the color balance feels right. The only thing I would change is the striping on the white jersey. the yellow looks off next to such thin white stripes, I would make that whole area their brick color. 

Kavalos have made sure to stay ahead of the curve by coming out with a modern look that challenges design in the THL. I like the motion, but the blade seems a little clunky. If it was thinner and curved up like a skate blade I think it would be top 3 in the league. 

5/06/2020 10:45 pm  #425

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Prestonburg looks solid, I like the striping a lot. The only thing left to improve is the logo. I think their purple and orange would look great on the ice.

Who cares what Trowsburgh looks like, they won't have any look within a season. You want to feel bad, but they gave themselves the death penalty. Couldn't even copy the line under the wolf to the other side to make some type of "T". 

The Anchors have an overall brand upgrade. The new logo is a lot more clean, I like the polished feel to it. Their original was clunky and felt like it was looking more and more out of date with each year. Striping is fantastic and the color balance feels right. The only thing I would change is the striping on the white jersey. the yellow looks off next to such thin white stripes, I would make that whole area their brick color. 

Kavalos have made sure to stay ahead of the curve by coming out with a modern look that challenges design in the THL. I like the motion, but the blade seems a little clunky. If it was thinner and curved up like a skate blade I think it would be top 3 in the league. 

Thanks for the feedback! I agree the yellow on white for PA washes it out a bit. I'll try that idea. Good idea for Kavalos. I wanted to keep the sharpness of the lightning bolt but I've been tinkering with it. We could probably see a little update at some point.

5/08/2020 8:33 pm  #426

1978 UHA REGULAR SEASON

The season went about how everyone expected, with the Kings and Killers pacing the rest of the league. Their collective firepower seemed to cancel each other out a bit however, as scoring was significantly down around the league. Kurohara's Adam Bogdanov stole some of Pete Lentini's thunder by snagging Best Forward as he helped the Killers to the most goals scored. Lentini still earned another MVP trophy however, leading Bancana to another 1-seed and carrying the squad.

The Wildcats saw a very nice season from Norman Dello in the net, as they continued their stay atop the East. They had major trouble scoring outside of Cameron Sallee though, and both the Blazers and Swans actually outscored Alko in the division. Neither team could get ahead of the Marauders who notched a playoff birth to see all three West teams make the playoffs. Coming in last place by a wide margin, the Wolves continued their horrid year with only 7 wins as Chris Wydra was hurt and didn't seem motivated to return to the team.

With only 7 teams in the league, the playoff format was changed to remove the top-2 bye week and quarterfinals round. The new format will be a simple 1-4 Semi-Finals to Finals with division winners as the 1-2 seeds.

1978 UHA PLAYOFFS

Semi-Finals

1 Bancana Kings vs 4 Solinza Marauders
The Marauders were feisty from the first puck drop and pestered the Kings for 6 games with a pair of shutouts from Fred Teal. Pete Lentini and the Kings couldn't be kept at bay for long though. [BAN wins 4-2]

2 Alko Wildcats vs 3 Kurohara Killers
The Wildcats showed some life offensively in Games 3-4 but their scoring sputtered when it mattered and the Killers had little trouble advancing behind stout defensive play by Joaquin Outlaw. [KUR wins 4-1]

UHA Championship Series

1 Bancana Kings vs 2 Kurohara Killers
It was a high-scoring series for the Killers who scored 22 goals in 5 games in a rematch of last season's finals. This time the Kings were no match for a determined Kurohara squad. With Lentini hampered by a lower leg injury and Joaquin Outlaw on him the whole series, Adam Bogdanov erupted as the Killers took down the Kings in 5 games. [KUR wins 4-1]

1978 UHA Champions: Kurohara Killers (1)

Up next: THL Season

[updated standings graphic]

Last edited by Steelman (5/14/2020 8:45 pm)

5/09/2020 3:06 pm  #427

Killers Baby! Now let's see if my Kodiaks can win the big one

5/10/2020 2:50 pm  #428

Out here waiting for Sallee to get the support needed to drive a team to a championship!

5/10/2020 9:00 pm  #429

Not that it matters, but shouldn't the Blazers have gotten in the playoffs instead of the Marauders, as they had more points?  Actually, the Swans did too now that I look again.  Also, my goodness, the Wolves are horrible.  If they survive until next year, I really will be surprised, (happily so, but still surprised).

In any case, good showing for the Killers!  As the UHA struggles more and more every year, I get more excited to see what their ultimate fate will be.  Will they be able to convince the THL to merge?  Will they collapse altogether?  Will they get a second wind and miraculously survive into present day?

5/10/2020 11:30 pm  #430

Stickman wrote:

Not that it matters, but shouldn't the Blazers have gotten in the playoffs instead of the Marauders, as they had more points?  Actually, the Swans did too now that I look again.  Also, my goodness, the Wolves are horrible.  If they survive until next year, I really will be surprised, (happily so, but still surprised).

In any case, good showing for the Killers!  As the UHA struggles more and more every year, I get more excited to see what their ultimate fate will be.  Will they be able to convince the THL to merge?  Will they collapse altogether?  Will they get a second wind and miraculously survive into present day?

Oof, good catch. I'll update the graphic. The Marauders actually tallied 75 points by virtue of more ties and fewer losses than Prestonburg.

I'm excited to find out their fate too! (I haven't fully decided yet, some decisions will depend on how the next season or two play out)

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Out here waiting for Sallee to get the support needed to drive a team to a championship!

Bobby Jr.'s been winning with Bancana but Cameron's been stuck carrying the torch by himself in Alko.

Board footera