Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2020 5:57 pm  #51

Re: The Association: America's Game - 1902 Championship Series

Rugrat wrote:

Hey just caught up with this. Congrats to Washington on a miracle season! Btw are you still taking applications for a new Chicago Owner?

Not at the moment, but I think you'll really like what happens this offseason ;). Also, I will be accepting more audience participation in regards to owners in the near-ish future, so if you have an idea for Chicago, just sit tight on it and I think you'll be able to use it.

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I think 1980s was more when they became popular as pets rather than a work animal who kept pests off farms and out of stores before chemicals relieved them of those duties. Think there was even a native ferret of the USA... completely wrong geographically but I learned a lot for no reason on this naming journey! Happy to see you’re back and great job on the series!

(Oh, forgot to mention your profile picture. I like it.)

I didn't know there was an american ferret lol, but I think I might go into a generally American/patriotic theme at the moment. There might be a little period of time where I might think about something like this, but right now I think I'm going a different direction. Maybe when we get later down the line, a fauxback will be made, sorta like a "what if" night.

I  l I K E  t H I S

8/15/2020 10:21 pm  #52

1902 offseason:
CHICAGOOOOOO! CHICAGOOOOOOO!:

Chicago came in a close second in the pennant race, but it didn’t matter. The ultimatum had been set, and the squad failed to live up to the expectations of the athletic club. Thus, they would either have to be sold or disbanded. But try as the must, the Windy City’s top flight professional team can’t find a buyer. The upper crust of society can’t look past the Tom Viar fiasco, and as many potential buyers in the area would have already put in money through SA Chicago, it’s extremely unlikely that any Chicago-based buyer would come forward.
                The team, threatened with disbanding, looked around the world for a solution, and they found one. Taking inspiration from Spanish soccer clubs, manager Rob De Jong introduced the idea of a team without a principle owner to the highest level of baseball. As soon as the season ended, the squad took out a page in the Tribune calling for fans to buy shares in the club, who would then elect a president of team operations (like a gm type job). The team would have as many ‘owners’ as needed to keep the team from going under without the backing of the athletic club, and would formally adopt the nickname “Republics” in honor of the 1893 world’s fair, the fan support, and now the new ownership structure. The Association’s committee has to form once again to discuss whether or not to let them continue as Chicago’s top baseball organization. Their options are to vote for the acceptance of the Chicago Republics, or deny them entry and pick either a new city or Chicago team to take their place.

In a vote almost completely split along division lines, the acceptance of the Republics was approved. The main detractors were obviously from the West, but Cleveland owner Edwin Cole lobbied heavily against the acceptance of Chicago as an ownerless team. He firstly preferred Chicago to be without a top league team, but more importantly, Cleveland’s semi-pro and barnstorming teams had recently begun to form similar ownership structures to stay afloat. Cole, a savvy enough businessman, sees that if the precedent is set for the “million owners” structure and his team stays terrible, then the Association might look at some of the successful Cleveland teams and begin to wonder about swapping Cole’s squad for one of those, regardless of the ownership structure of the club.
                The Republics proceeded to buy back their old field from the owners, and renamed it “Ballpark of the Republic”. They’re hoping to create the world’s first steel and concrete stadium on the site in the near future, although its possibility is still unclear.

FIVE YEAR PLAN, YEAR ONE:

With the Chicago situation out of the way, the committee was led into negotiations by Campbell to attempt to make them think that the idea of merger or a relegation system is possible. With high hopes and vague promises in hand, the league presidents of the Colonial Baseball League, midwestern league, and the Association met in December.
                Things did not go to plan.
                The Colonial League and Midwestern league representatives simply did not believe in the Association’s ability to live up to its promises. They left the meeting coming instead to a partnership between each other, stating they could not steal players from the other league, but the Association remained fair game. A super league, if you will, with the Colonial League and Midwestern League is rumored of forming under a single organization who would then compete for a single championship. With the Association scrambling, the three largest leagues in the United States may be coming to a serious crossroads in the next few seasons. It’s now possible for the two “minor” leagues to hold power in negotiations with the Association, which has forced the members in baseball’s major league to seriously consider the ides of promotion/relegation.
                The Association, after the negotiations went poorly, proceeded to up the service requirement to 11 years before free agency, something that the other leagues then followed suit in.

PLAYER MOVEMENT:

Cleveland Owner Edwin Cole, fearing the Association might seriously consider another Cleveland team, finally decides to spend cash in the offseason. With his eyes on the prize, Cole went out and got himself two star pitchers, signing away both Brandon Harden of Baltimore and former Brooklyn pitcher Warner Buckman to massive deals, over $2,000 a year for both players. Buckman’s contract, however, is a one-year deal, while Harden’s is for 4 years. Absurdly enough, Buckman’s season ended short last year because of injury, and won’t end up pitching for Cleveland until July at the very earliest. Cole is an idiot.
                Milwaukee decided it needed to add pieces for its 1902 run for the pennant, grabbing aging (but productive) veterans Zion Thermidor and Manny Wright each for over $1,300 a piece. Milwaukee, with this added star power, looks to make a serious run at the West this year and hopefully beyond.

UNIFORM CHANGES:

On a serious note, this is hard! The amount of time I’ve spent in researching uniforms from the past to draw inspiration from while still coming up with fresh ideas is exhausting. Teams barely keep identities at all during the first 30 years in baseball history, and I’m trying to replicate this as much as I can.

Brooklyn, again having a poor season in 1901, decided to switch things up even further and introduce a grey away jersey, replacing the iconic all-blue garb worn in seasons past. It’s unknown if or when they will switch back to blue, but Manager Moishe Lipp stated “it’s all dependent on fan reaction”.

New York City Athletic once again finds themselves with mew uniforms, this time bringing back the beloved 5-stripe look used during the 1898 season. In the win-now year, NYCA might find themselves a new classic uniform.

Cincinnati, looking to shed some of the bad weight of last year’s defeat to Federal Athletic, grab a new set of uniforms to wear for the 1902 season. The home uniform features a white hat with red trim at the bottom of the crown, while the jersey and pants are white as well, paired with red socks. The aways also feature red socks, although a grey jersey and pants with “CINCINNATI” arched across the front.

Milwaukee, looking to turn the corner, feature new uniforms as well, with an Old English M on the sleeve, and a weird hat to match. The aways are cream to feel more connected to Nick McCormick’s brewery.

TL;DR: Chicago wasn’t sold to anyone, so the team borrowed the La Liga ownership structure and applied to continue existing in the Association. They were admitted into the West with this new “ownerless” structure, and a new team president will be voted on before the season starts. Cleveland owner Edwin Cole is super scared of that because Cleveland’s best minor league teams feature a similar structure, and if enough people think Cleveland is bad enough, the Association might swap Cole’s team for another in the city.

TL;DR: The Association failed in year one of their five year plan. The Colonial League and Midwestern league simply don’t buy the Association’s malarkey, and will begin a partnership saying that they can’t steal players from each other, and talks are swirling about a potential merger. This is forcing the Association to seriously think about a promotion/relegation system for the future. The minimum team control for a player is now at 11 years.

TL;DR: Cole got scared and signed Brandon Harden and an injured Warner Buckman to the Cleveland squad, and hopes it’ll bring him out of the western cellar. Milwaukee added aging stars Zion Thermidor and Manny Wright as the team heads into the year hoping to make a playoff push.

I  l I K E  t H I S

8/16/2020 1:21 am  #53

What an offseason, the uni changes are nice and make this whole thing seem a lot more realistic

NYCA using the 5 stripes is just too good, I could see the stripes shrinking a bit in the future but I think that Athletic has found their "look" at least at home

I'm also a big fan of the cream alternate for Milwaukee, I would love to see this get promoted to primary with maybe a blue or gray away, but overall I'm a big fan

8/16/2020 4:43 pm  #54

So much for the 5 year plan

8/16/2020 10:09 pm  #55

Always can get behind those 5 stripes for the Moles. It puts the nickname right on the jersey without spelling it out!

8/17/2020 11:16 pm  #56

Sorry for the late comment, but cmon Cincy, that should've been championship numero dos! Oh well were still pretty talented, let's run it back next year.

The off season was interesting! I'll be trying to pay attention and see what happens with the Association and how they compete with other leagues. The research you've done to replicate the era appropriate meetings like that are astounding and something I wish I had the patience to do with my leagues. All in all I would love to see the potential super league happen, maybe a super super league could happen down the line where a merge happens between them and the Association too.
The new uniforms looks great, again, you've done your research and it shows. The hardest thing, but probably also the most fun thing for me when doing my league was changing each teams uniform so often. It was exhausting but it was a fun challenge too. You've done a great job so far and I can't wait to see where some of the more unique styles, NYCA in particular, develop down the road.

8/24/2020 6:34 pm  #57

1902 SEASON:

New York City Athletic Club
After years of high expectations and higher salaries, the New York City Athletic Club was able to finally secure the Eastern pennant. The pitching hit another level, with Eric Manning transforming into a rocket armed bonafide star for the Moles, ending the year second in WAR and strikeouts behind a certain Brooklyn pitcher and leading his team in ERA. Chris Meier served a solid #2, while Ryan Kuklinski and Jon Mosher rounded out one of the best lineups in the Association. Manuel Rojas and Terry Wheelock both batted above .300 on the year, while Kurt Dahms did the most damage on the basepaths with 49 stolen bases, good for 3rd in the East. With all this production, it still took a collapse and one-game tiebreaker with our next team to win the East, but alas the fans of the club can finally rest easy knowing that their squad has a chance at climbing baseball’s highest mountaintop once and for all.

BC Boston
                Boston’s year was fantastic, give or take a single 2-week period at the end of the season. The pitching was weak all year, with neither Ostrowski nor Josh Metz leading their team’s pitching, but instead longtime starter of little note Allen Sturgill with a pedestrian 3.25 ERA. The bats, however, broke out. The Billys returned in 1902 in full force, with Mark Burrow and Billy Epp batting over .300, and their league high .285 AVG carried the team’s lackluster pitching through most of the year. First Baseman Josh Short broke out this year by hitting .284 and hitting 9 home runs, while Billy West knocked 7 dingers of his own. The team led the East from the end of April all the way until mid-September, when the resurgent NYCA caught up with just 10 games to go. They dropped an embarrassing 6 of their last 7 and had to play a one game playoff to decide the winner of the East. Heading into the ninth, the team had a two-run lead. By the end of the ninth, New York City reigned over Boston. This team looks promising, however, and the core of Billys, Josh Short, Mark Burrow, and their pitching staff look to steal away the East in 1903.

Brooklyn Baseball Club
                Brooklyn was all over the place. The Jays finished 3 games out of first, but had a chance to win the East had they swept New York City in the second to last series in the season. If they succeeded, that would’ve been astonishing considering they were a seemingly insurmountable 10 games below .500 in mid-May. Asher Lisiewicz, now back and healthy for the first time in 2 years, was able to lead the team on an amazing comeback that left them close to winning the East once again. Dan Hymel showed up once again as a solid second starter, but the batting left much to be desired. Marty Houck, Yancey Knickle, Mike Filsinger, and Randy Pankey all performed extremely well, but the drop off was steep from there. The back half of the order simply just couldn’t drive in runs, and left the team’s pitchers gassed trying to make up for the lack of run support. It’s unknown if they’ll get help in the offseason, but with their pitching staff a run is always a possibility.

Federal Athletic Club
                The Miracles couldn’t live up to their nickname in 1902, but people still called them that. Jamie Rodak, firstly, was simply nowhere near the previous year’s production, and the rest of the team seemed to follow suit. Relative newcomer Joshua Morrison led the team with an ERA over 3, while the next best pitcher, Scott Worthington, was traded away midseason to Baltimore. It left many around the league puzzled, but nonetheless it wouldn’t have mattered much. Outside of the usual suspects in Cy Sanusi and Justin Bader, the team simply didn’t have an answer for the top 3 teams in the East. Hopefully the championship hangover will end soon, but other teams have better odds heading into the 1903 season.

BC Baltimore
                While Bryan Taubenfeld keeps trucking, hitting .323 with 71 RBI and 61 stolen bases, the rest of the team has fallen off a cliff. Frank Dering isn’t producing, and the once vaunted pitching corps has fallen into decay without its former ace Brandon Harden. Dave Waldner sucks, Joe Choquette is barely mentionable and Charles Liquet ended the year with an ERA over 4. This team makes me sick. Just remember that if a rug can be pulled out from under you, that simply means there’s a floor that can cave in, too.

Philadelphia Baseball Club
                SIASDVIWBNCOASOMASDD. Those were a bunch of letters I slammed out in frustration with Philadelphia. They’re wasting the career of Max Chestnut, who again led the east in home runs, tying his new full-time starting teammate, catcher Eric Siler, with 10. The pitching is abysmal, with Scott Sulka completely bottoming out with an earned run average of over 4.50 and no one picking up the slack. I hate that this team is bad. I hope they get better.

WEST

Guess.
Cincinnati actually didn’t have the best year offensively, but the top end talent still produced. Cincinnati had a breakout superstar pitcher, JJ Mayweather, who finaly gave this team a 1A and 1B with Mike Rouse. Emmer pitched well but was hurt midway through the year, leaving a starting rotation of the two amazing starters and Preston Ingram. They made up for a down year by the rest of the team, but by no means was Cinci a slouch at the plate. The 3 stars of the team, Luis Flores, Weldon Hill, and Joe Watkins absolutely dominated and carried this team easily to their third straight Western title.

Milwaukee Brewers
                This team is a year away, I swear. Rogers was fantastic as always, and the rest of the squad performed extremely well, but the bulldozer that is Cincinnati absolutely crushed them in the head to head series. They know their main hurdle, and star centerfielder Mike Barlow, seeing the possibility of winning MVP if the team gets more national notoriety, has taken up a greater leadership role in the clubhouse to motivate the team come next year. With next year hopefully bringing about a greater sense of team cohesion, Milwaukee might be able to win the West.

Chicago Republics Baseball Club
                Despite having only focused on pitching when talking about Chicago, this team found itself a new offensive superstar in Cory Bowman, a 25-year old stud who finished the year batting .318 and hitting a league leading 22 triples. Dan Stahl maintained his star level performance, and the pitching didn’t disappoint either. The usual suspects in Thad, Cody Miller, and Wilbur Penn all had an ERA under 3.00, while 1901 trade acquisition Cesar de la Parra rounded out the starting lineup quite well. The team performed admirably in its first year removed from SA Chicago, and it still remains firmly planted as the top team in the Windy City.

St. Louis Baseball Club
                I just can’t with this team. Just when it looks like maybe, just maybe, the best players on the team might show some leadership, catcher Jeff Pennington and shortstop Jeremy Cunningham both go down with season ending injuries right as the season begins. Frank Palmer played like garbage for his standards, and so did Bobby Farmer, who regressed behind Bobby Riddle and 1899 ACS standout Ty Biddings. This team, when healthy, should be looking towards a pennant. Instead, they’re languishing in fourth.

Baseball Detroit and Cleveland Baseball Club
                So I’m going to combine these two because they’re both in similar places at the moment. Both are really bad franchises who just can’t seem to do anything right. Their defensive skills are horrible, which screws over their already poor pitchers, and the offense can’t get anything done except for a single power hitter (Detroit’s Zion Wootson hit an association high 15 home runs, while Cleveland’s Ron Bazinet hit 13). Cleveland is by far the worse team, and I find it genuinely surprising they even got 44 wins. By the time it’s all said and done, this team has a high likelihood of just not existing unless something very serious changes.

TL;DR: New York City takes advantage of a last moment collapse of Boston, who lost 6 of their last 7, to force a one game playoff and win the East in dramatic fashion. Asher Lisiewicz’s formal return sees a drop off from his pre-injury performance but still leads the East in almost every major pitching category. The Brooklyn offense can’t give any run support and leaves him out to dry. FAC fell off thanks to shakeups in the pitching lineup, but the offense stayed strong enough to keep them from slipping more. Baltimore and Philadelphia are sad. They make me sad.

TL;DR: Cincinnati has not let off the gas in the West for the 3rd straight year, leaving a strong Milwaukee in the dust. The pitching dominated the year for Cinci, and they head into the Championship series as favorites once more. Milwaukee is waiting until next year, and hopefully they’ll be able to get over the hump in ’03, while Chicago performed extremely well given the circumstances. St. Louis, plagued with injuries to their stars, had enough talent to maintain a record above .500. Detroit is bad, but Cleveland is statistically the worst baseball team in the Association’s short history.

Last edited by H-Town1141 (8/24/2020 6:34 pm)

I  l I K E  t H I S

8/24/2020 6:52 pm  #58

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Always can get behind those 5 stripes for the Moles. It puts the nickname right on the jersey without spelling it out!

Section30 wrote:

What an offseason, the uni changes are nice and make this whole thing seem a lot more realistic

NYCA using the 5 stripes is just too good, I could see the stripes shrinking a bit in the future but I think that Athletic has found their "look" at least at home

I'm also a big fan of the cream alternate for Milwaukee, I would love to see this get promoted to primary with maybe a blue or gray away, but overall I'm a big fan

Thank you! I have things planned out quite a bit ahead in terms of uniforms, and I was thinking the same thing. Problems with jersey templates become an issue eventually, but as long as I can fit the 5 stripes on, there will be 5 stripes on NYCA's home uniforms. Also, with Milwaukee, I'm really thinking about making the creams the primary and I'm glad you like the idea!

ZO82 wrote:

So much for the 5 year plan

I mean, kinda? With a roadmap laid out, Campbell and the Association are still in the better position, and honestly still use that advantage to coerce the minor leagues into respecting the Association contracts. They have better markets and more connections with advertisers, as well as the ability to dole out more cash if necessary to steal away the regional league players. It's all still up in the air, and it's possible for this story to break in a million ways.

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Sorry for the late comment, but cmon Cincy, that should've been championship numero dos! Oh well were still pretty talented, let's run it back next year.

The off season was interesting! I'll be trying to pay attention and see what happens with the Association and how they compete with other leagues. The research you've done to replicate the era appropriate meetings like that are astounding and something I wish I had the patience to do with my leagues. All in all I would love to see the potential super league happen, maybe a super super league could happen down the line where a merge happens between them and the Association too.
The new uniforms looks great, again, you've done your research and it shows. The hardest thing, but probably also the most fun thing for me when doing my league was changing each teams uniform so often. It was exhausting but it was a fun challenge too. You've done a great job so far and I can't wait to see where some of the more unique styles, NYCA in particular, develop down the road.

Thank you! I might need your help with some of these designs at some point, because the amount of time I put into uniform research isn't smart for a full-time student with a job. I'm glad y'all are enjoying the authenticity of these uniforms, but know that the uniform culture of baseball shifts quite a bit over time.

I  l I K E  t H I S

8/24/2020 9:09 pm  #59

Let's go Cincy! It's going to be a great series against NYCA but we got this!
Also H-Town, just pm and I can try and help come up with some ideas for uniforms, I'd be super down to help.

9/15/2020 1:29 pm  #60

1902 ASSOCIATION CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES:

Game 1: After a hard fought pitchers' duel in which no one scored after the 3rd inning, Chris Meier finally has a chance to claim victory in an Association Championship Series game. Last year's pitcher of the year played extremely well, but it was for naught as the bats couldn't get going for the Reds. Athletic has taken homefield advantage away from Cincinnati, and the Burroughers look ahead to one more game in the Queen City before heading back to Polo Grounds.

Game 2: In an intense outing, Ryan Kuklinski and J.J. Mayweather held each others' teams to low scores like in game one, but the game remained tied 2-2 after 9. In the top of the 10th, Kurt Dahms stole 2 bases after a 1 out single, allowing Manuel Rojas to bat him in and put Athletic up 3-2. Because of his speed on the basepath, Dahms has picked up the nickname "The Bullet", to which he told reporters after the game, "a bullet might lose that race, you might have to think of something faster."

Game 3: In his first ACS start, Eric Manning got shelled. The bats came alive for the Reds, who were able to exploit the young pitcher's reliance on the fastball early in the count. After 4 innings of work and giving up 7 earned runs, he was pulled in the 5th after giving up 4 runs without an out to show for it. Chirs Noland, Weldon Hill, and Joe Watkins were the culprits of most of the damage, with all of them combining to provide all of the RBI for the Reds on the day. NYC still holds the advantage, however, and Polo Grounds is the favorite ballpark of a certain Chris Meier.

Game 4: Meier absolutely dominated once again, posting an ERA of 1.00 across 18 innings against the most formidable offense of all-time up to this point. The Reds are now on the brink of elimination, and Mike Rouse, although outstanding, simply can't get the run support he has needed to get Cincinnati past the Burroughers.

Game 5: Cincinnati was able to trudge through another poor hitting performance and stay in the Championship series. J.J. Mayweather dominated the day, and whose only run given up came off of a home run by a rotation player. Kuklinski also pitched well, but as in most of the games, the other side simply pitched better. "There's nothing more I can do, nothing more any of can do, except try to throw the ball out of its seams  and pray to God they don't hit it," Kuklinski said after the game.

Game 6: Finally, some offense! Both teams were set ablaze in their first game back in Cincinnati. Down 4-0 after 3, Athletic came alive and trounced Preston Ingram in the 4th and forcing 2 different pitching changes on the night, while Eric Manning was able to pitch his first complete game in the Championship series. A Phil Crabb home run in the 4th opened the door for an offensive attack that only subsided after a reliever came in in the 8th, while the Reds' offense stalled after the 3rd, only putting up one more run before the night was over.

There you have it! The New York City Athletic Club was able to claim their first championship and finally have something to rub in the face of their crosstown counterparts.

I  l I K E  t H I S

Board footera