Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2021 3:36 pm  #241

Re: AltBA Design Thread

QCS wrote:

Balu the Bare wrote:

Hopefully I'm not too late with these. Disregard them if I am!

Atlanta Aliens - because Outkast 
Vancouver Royals - generic royalty because BC
LA Titans - A lot of Roman/Spartan themes come out of here in other leagues I feel. 
Charlotte Cyclones - Just another word for hurricane
Washington Red Wolves - Does this count as off limits since it was just presented as an alternative name for the Football Team? If not, I just like it. 
New Orleans Crescents - because Crescent City

I don't think these are late, but LA Titans is the name of the AltHL team.

And the Cyclones are Chicago's AltFL team.

1/07/2021 3:57 pm  #242

Do we have a list of the names already used by the other AltSports?

1/07/2021 4:31 pm  #243

NeoPrankster wrote:

Do we have a list of the names already used by the other AltSports?

So far, you're good, but here it is:

AltHL:
New York Gargoyles
Toronto Terriers
Chicago Ghosts
Philadelphia Founders
Boston Rovers
Halifax Kingfishers
Montreal Chevaliers
Quebec Owls
Charlotte Racers
Los Angeles Titans
Vancouver Glaciers
Minnesota Loons
San Francisco Dragons
Denver Bighorns
Calgary Wranglers
Portland Sawblades
Seattle Seawolves
Winnipeg Arrows

AltFL:
Chicago Cyclones
New York Emperors
Milwaukee Mallards
St. Louis Explorers
Birmingham Vulcans
Portland Grizzlies
Utah Raptors
Toronto Beavers
Dallas Bandits
Los Angeles Sabercats
Arizona Scorpions
Seattle Steelheads
San Diego Destroyers
Kentucky Stallions
Boston Nightriders
Buffalo Bolts
San Antonio Phantoms
Kansas City Scarecrows
Philadelphia Brawlers
Tennessee Copperheads
Minnesota Voyaguers
Carolina Reapers
Orlando Galactics
Miami Hammerheads

1/07/2021 5:10 pm  #244

Time for a big and much anticipated post. It is time to do three things.
1.) Reveal the first 6 team names of the AltBA.
2.) Launch the polls for the Group B teams.
C.) Open up for submissions for Group C. 

1.) GROUP A NAMES REVEALED! 

Let's begin! 

3 of the winning names were the 'frontrunners' going into the finals. The Minnesota Giants were by far the most popular name. It garnered 104 points overall. The other two frontrunners, the Bulldogs and Spirits both won but by razor thing margins. The Spirits beat out the Sting in the final three votes. 

The Mountaineers was 2nd place for Denver going into the Final Four. But they were the most popular Final Four team from any city. The Mustangs and Emeralds also were quite popular in the Final Four. 

Congrats to Darknes for getting 2 teams selected out of over 130 submissions. 

While we are not ready to begin logo designs yet you can start to work on these teams if you are interested in submitting some work. 

2.) GROUP B POLLS ! 

I did have to disqualify more names for Group B than I did Group A. If you have any questions about your submissions or do not see them in the polls please PM so I can see it and respond. Thank you. 

New Orleans, Louisiana 
https://forms.gle/KnRkZeH36kckZaWH8

Washington, DC
https://forms.gle/ZsbV3k25ytsGGNHCA

Vancouver, British Columbia
https://forms.gle/nu8K58FQpqLGTud89

Atlanta, Georgia
https://forms.gle/pXBQHJdRsVaABcvX8

Los Angeles, California
https://forms.gle/BwmpxHYPKWVH4LWu5

Charlotte, North Carolina
https://forms.gle/1wZfK9eWhsKaAbkv7

3.) GROUP C SUBMISSIONS! BRING THEM ON! 

1/07/2021 5:19 pm  #245

San Jose Quicksilvers- (formerly) Home to a large mercury mine, and will shift it away from "techy" names.

Kansas City Outlaws - Just a good, solid name

Dallas Lone Stars - You can't pluralize Lone Ranger, but I'm sure as sure going to pluralize Lone Star!

Baltimore Bays - based on their location on Chesapeake Bay, this has a classic sound to it.

Philadelphia Ramblers - Shut up, I like the name Ramblers, and I don't know where to go that doesn't infringe on the Brawlers and Founders

Pittsburgh Threes - Based on their location with the three rivers, and because of the shot in basketball worth three points.

Last edited by Dan O'Mac (1/07/2021 5:26 pm)

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

1/07/2021 5:19 pm  #246

California Code: Reference to Silicon Valley. (I know, so creative.)
Kansas City Grillers: Homage to local barbecue.
Texas Rowdies: Reference to the overall disorder of the Old West.
Baltimore Harbors: Reference to the local harbor, which was vital to the city historically.
Philadelphia Brothers: Homage to the “City of Brotherly Love.”
Pittsburgh Pitts: No particular reason, just sounds retro.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

1/07/2021 5:21 pm  #247

San Jose Cyborgs - I had pitched this for San Fran back in the AltHL and I was planning on it once we came to San Jose.
Kansas City Marshals - I wanted to go western and let's do the "Law" side of the Western
Dallas Flyers - Reference to the Red Pegasus sign that's been in the City since the 30s
Philadelphia Immigrants - Since we're trying to avoid the Boxing/Colonial themes, I wanted to touch upon the huge Italian Community of Philly.
Baltimore Lancers - State Sport is Jousting and it also has a snappy Name
Pittsburgh Paladins - Kinda went back with this, going with aliteration and armored theme

Last edited by Darknes (1/07/2021 9:29 pm)

1/07/2021 5:23 pm  #248

San Jose: Silvertips - A type of shark and a reference to the Almaden Quicksilver Mining Museum. (Plus, huge shout out to everyone’s favorite mad lad, thehealthiestscratch![non-sequitor])

Kansas City: Masters - The train master and a BBQ pit master are experts in their craft, like the pros on the basketball court

Dallas: Revolvers - Texas is the state of the “Wild West” and the use of revolvers is well documented in the West.

Baltimore: Knights - The official state sport is jousting, and two lances are seen as a state symbol, with a medieval pattern on the state flag.

Philadelphia: Ringers - The Liberty Bell and the city of many early political achievements, let freedom ring in Philly.

Pittsburgh: Forge - The metalwork of Steel City can sharpen all blades to take down any opponents.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (1/07/2021 6:00 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

1/07/2021 5:31 pm  #249

San Jose Sea Lions - A respite from the TECH TECH TECH themed names. Rolls nicely off of the tongue. (Alliteration!)

Dallas Desperados - Dallas is inextricably tied to the Old West. (Alliteration!)

Kansas City Doughboys - KCMO is home to the US WWI museum. This name pays homage to the WWI American infantrymen.

Philadelphia Colonials - Given the city's history, it's surprising this name is not already taken. The fan-favorite name for the Sixers passed over by the owners.

Pittsburgh Riveters - Say you had some steel. How do you turn it into something useful? Rivets.

Baltimore Pincers - You mess with the crab, you get the claw.

1/07/2021 5:31 pm  #250

Baltimore Barons (namesake is Cecil Calvert, the 2nd Baron Baltimore)
Kansas City Clowns (added alliterative appeal, subtle nod to rodeos and Tech N9ne)
Philadelphia Rock Ireferences the Keystone, a certain Balboa, and the city's rock-and-roll history)
Pittsburgh Knights (defenders of the Steel City, clad in steel armor)
San Jose Hackers (a Silicon Valley and basketball term alike)
Texas Rattlers (rattlesnakes and "rim rattler" slam dunks)

Board footera