Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2021 8:07 pm  #141

Re: AltBA Design Thread

Wallflower wrote:

Topolino wrote:

4.) (For Atlanta) no 'Rebels' or other Confederate references

“What about Dallas and New Orleans? They’re in the old confederacy too”

If it is not okay for Atlanta, it's not okay for anywhere, anything that would likely have their name changed in 2020 should not be used. I think that should be pretty straight forward.

Yes I meant everywhere. I pointed out Atlanta because I have noticed on this site and the other site that Atlanta is often named the Rebels by creators. I haven't noticed that name used in other places as much. 

1/04/2021 8:14 pm  #142

Denver Pilots: A weird one to start, I know.  However, Denver is the "Mile High" city, and what flys a mile high in the sky?  Pilots, (and passangers, but Denver Passangers doesn't have the same ring to it).  Also, Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the US (by land area anyway). 

Seattle Orcas: It'd be a fun play with the Seattle Steelheads with the naval animal theme.  Plus, bonus points for anyone wanting to try out a Northwest Coast Art, (one of my personal favorite art styles) as orcas are used in that style.

Minnesota Millers: Another unique take, Section 30 could verify what I'm saying or he could correct me here, but I believe one of Minneapolis' nicknames is Mill City, given a strong history of milling in that city's history.  That blue collar nickname could be a fun one for Minneapolis.  (EDIT: I guess I'm seconding this name, as in the time it took me to write this, somebody already submitted Millers.... well I'm not changing it at this rate)

Chicago Tigers:  I've always felt Chicago is a great city to use a generic, yet intimidating nickname that doesn't necessary fit the city.  Tigers is a wonderful nickname that we haven't used yet, hoping it happens here!

Detroit Blues: I wanted to avoid the car theme, since we have the Detroit Pistons already.   So I wanted inspiration from the deep music history that Detroit has, namely Motown.  As R&B (Rhythm and Blues) was a highly successful genre for Motown (though not the only one!), I wanted to incorporate that in the name. Since there's already a Jazz in the NBA and Soul doesn't flow well, I submit Blues, which could help (or force) design options.  As a Michigan native (though far from Detroit actually), I've been excited for an Alt League Michigan team from the start and I'm excited to finally present this one!

Louisville Cornhuskers: To repeat my AltFL suggestion, (I'm lazy, I know), "I know it seems a bit random, (and a steal on Nebraska's team name).  However, there is history here.  The first known European settlers to settle in the close vicinity of modern day Louisville went to a (now submerged) island called Corn Island, named presumably for it's importance in farming.  Hilariously, the name of this island is believed to have been partly named as a ruse, as Corn Island also had a military post there.  Cornhuskers is probably the only corn themed name that could work here, plus it's a little different from the Kentucky Derby theme we've seen a lot of."

Last edited by Stickman (1/04/2021 8:19 pm)

1/04/2021 8:20 pm  #143

Denver Sheriffs: Reference to Colorado’s Wild West history.

Seattle Tugs: Reference to tugboat tycoon Thea Foss, who lived in Washington State for the majority of her life and lends her family name to many Seattle-area tugboats.

Minnesota Blizzards: Homage to the famously chilly weather up north.

Chicago Mobsters: Obvious.

Detroit Mustangs: Obvious.

Kentucky Boxers: Muhammad Ali Reference.

Last edited by ThisIsFine (1/04/2021 8:24 pm)

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

1/04/2021 8:21 pm  #144

ThisIsFine wrote:

Seattle Tugs: Reference to tugboat tycoon Thea Foss, who lived in Washington State for the majority of her life and lends her family to many Seattle-area tugboats.

Detroit Rockets: Reference to Oldsmobile and their iconic engine and hood ornament.

Kentucky Boxers: Muhammad Ali Reference

No NBA teams so no Rockets

1/04/2021 8:21 pm  #145

Chicago Blues: Blues was developed in Chicago before heading south (if I'm getting my facts right), and is a subtle nod to The Blues Brothers, which takes place in Chicago

Denver Riders: Denver's got a fairly large rodeo scene, and could also be interpreted as a cowboy that wondered the Rockies in the Old West

Detroit Eights: Named after the V8 engine, the main engine used in cars, which is the industry that drove (heh) Detroit to the city is is today

Louisville Pioneers: Named for the pioneers who explored the new Midwestern wilderness after the Revolutionary War, who came to Kentucky to settle down or move further west on their Manifest Destiny

Minnesota Lumberjacks: Minnesota has some nice wilderness. Logging is also a fairly important industry in the state IIRC.

Seattle Jets: Boeing is located near Seattle, and are one of the largest aircraft manufacturers in the world. Also a subtle nod to the long-beloved Supersonics.

Last edited by DireBear (1/04/2021 8:44 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

1/04/2021 8:23 pm  #146

Darknes wrote:

ThisIsFine wrote:

Seattle Tugs: Reference to tugboat tycoon Thea Foss, who lived in Washington State for the majority of her life and lends her family to many Seattle-area tugboats.

Detroit Rockets: Reference to Oldsmobile and their iconic engine and hood ornament.

Kentucky Boxers: Muhammad Ali Reference

No NBA teams so no Rockets

Oops. I’ll fix it.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

1/04/2021 8:24 pm  #147

Colorado Cutthroats (The state fish, also works well as a name)
Chicago Windjammers (A windjammer is a ship, and this team is made up of "jammers" from the Windy City)
Seattle Spirit (Native American spirituality, the area's recent spirit of innovation, and Nirvana's biggest hit)
Detroit Demons (the city's "Devil's Night," the speed demons behind the wheel, and Detroiters as "D-men")
Minnesota Reign (obvious Prince reference, team color would be purple of course)
Kentucky Bees (similar to Topolino's idea, but referencing the whole state and the more aggressive insect in Ali's boast)

1/04/2021 8:26 pm  #148

Colorado Haymakers - Hay is one of the largest agricultural outputs of Greater Colorado. The name packs a punch, too.

Washington Woodsmen - The state is home to a valuable supply of lumber, with Seattle thriving in its early years with significant help from Henry Yesler's sawmill. (Alliteration!)

Minnesota Doughboys - Minnesota has sent many of its finest to fight for freedom, some of whom were among the WWI "doughboys." Also, a small local flour milling company has a fairly popular doughy mascot. (Tee hee!)

Chicago Tempest - These boys from the Windy City will blow you off the court.

Motown Sound - Named after Detroit’s record-making music industry, this team will take the nation by storm. (Assonance!)

Kentucky Derbies - Whether horse racing or wearing cool hats, the Derbies dominate the scene.

Last edited by JamHeronArk (1/04/2021 8:29 pm)

1/04/2021 8:37 pm  #149

Chicago - Chicago Chiefs (as in fire chief). A fire-related identity for Chicago would make sense, given the MLS team, and the Florian cross is the perfect icon.
Denver - Denver Dinosaurs. Colorado and that area is known for their fossils and alliteration makes for a great name.
Detroit - Detroit Autos. Natural connection, but it has that weirdness factor that some basketball names have (Lakers, Jazz).
Louisville - Kentucky Thorns. Several people have mentioned that the winner of the Kentucky Derby wins roses, this is an aggressive version of that that uses Kentucky over Louisville to reinforce the Derby connection.
Minneapolis - Minnesota Mammoths. I saw Mammoths suggested earlier for Louisville, and while I really like the Mammoth Cave connection, alliteration and the cold connection of mammoths and Minnesota makes this too good to pass up.
Seattle - Seattle Evergreens. One of the proposed names for the NHL team, this team would be minty fresh all year.

Last edited by QCS (1/04/2021 8:42 pm)

1/04/2021 8:40 pm  #150

Chicago Tycoons - mobsters, crime, finanicial tycoons, a big city with lots of swagger
Denver Eagles - the city seal includes an eagle and I think some of our teams need more generic names
Detroit Moxie - the definition of Moxie is everything Detroit seems to stand for across music, autos, swagger, etc
Louisville Spirits - a reference to the whiskey trade in Kentucky
Minnesota Celestials - a reference to the North Star, Northern Lights and the state motto
Seattle Reign - get it?

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera