Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



12/22/2021 3:41 pm  #2691


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Section30 wrote:

Hey all, I've been wanting to add a little more depth to the league and just finished updating the MAHL Wiki to include the name of every teams Supporters Club, Chants, and Team Slogan or Motto (Boomer Sooner, Roll Tide, Hook Em, SKI-U-MAH, etc) as well as updating the rivalries for all 178 teams.

If you are interested in checking them out, just click here! 

I am very upset that the tradition I pitched so so so long ago didn't carry over for the Rochester Robins. Why isn't their supporters called the "Rockin Robins", and why don't they chant:
"All the little birds in Ro-ches-ter
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet
Rockin' robin..tweet..tweet..tweet..
Rockin' robin..tweet, tweedle-lee-dee. 
Blow rockin' robin
'
Cause we're really gonna rock tonight
(Tweet, tweedle-lee-dee)
Every little bird, every chick-a-dee
Every black and orange Robin in their Graham Arena seat"


.... Grand Rapids also needs a bit more "Moose Juice". To get the Loose Moose going.


https://i.imgur.com/v0rLnNd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YkYUCCS.jpg
 

12/22/2021 5:19 pm  #2692


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I am very upset that the tradition I pitched so so so long ago didn't carry over for the Rochester Robins. Why isn't their supporters called the "Rockin Robins", and why don't they chant:
"All the little birds in Ro-ches-ter
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet
Rockin' robin..tweet..tweet..tweet..
Rockin' robin..tweet, tweedle-lee-dee. 
Blow rockin' robin
'
Cause we're really gonna rock tonight
(Tweet, tweedle-lee-dee)
Every little bird, every chick-a-dee
Every black and orange Robin in their Graham Arena seat"

The names and chants throughout the MAHL are definitely open to change for a lot of cities.

I really like the "Rockin Robins" and have changed their Supporters Club name to that. I also think that the song is really cool and I will definitely make it canon.

I've been trying to figure out more team songs (like Ely's Dare to Beat the Bear) so any suggestions from you guys are more than welcome!

Crazy Rider wrote:

Sweet. I had/have my own ideas for traditions, but I know I'll be overly thinking about what you've written down soon enough

If you wanna shoot me a pm with some of your ideas I would love to hear them and possibly make some canon!

     Thread Starter
 

12/22/2021 7:49 pm  #2693


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Section30 wrote:

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I am very upset that the tradition I pitched so so so long ago didn't carry over for the Rochester Robins. Why isn't their supporters called the "Rockin Robins", and why don't they chant:
"All the little birds in Ro-ches-ter
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet
Rockin' robin..tweet..tweet..tweet..
Rockin' robin..tweet, tweedle-lee-dee. 
Blow rockin' robin
'
Cause we're really gonna rock tonight
(Tweet, tweedle-lee-dee)
Every little bird, every chick-a-dee
Every black and orange Robin in their Graham Arena seat"

The names and chants throughout the MAHL are definitely open to change for a lot of cities.

I really like the "Rockin Robins" and have changed their Supporters Club name to that. I also think that the song is really cool and I will definitely make it canon.

I've been trying to figure out more team songs (like Ely's Dare to Beat the Bear) so any suggestions from you guys are more than welcome!

Crazy Rider wrote:

Sweet. I had/have my own ideas for traditions, but I know I'll be overly thinking about what you've written down soon enough

If you wanna shoot me a pm with some of your ideas I would love to hear them and possibly make some canon!

I have some ideas, but I just wanna write some out first. And one won't come into play until years later in the timeline. 

But since you're talking about songs right now, I have two current suggestions. 
1. The St. Louis Park Louies play the song "To Life" from Fiddler on the Roof after every game, win or lose. 
It's one of the things I imagine that plays into the city's Jewish heritage. Also, it's a pretty good song on its own. 
Edit: 2 was eliminated because I got the teams wrong. 

Last edited by Crazy Rider (12/23/2021 9:46 pm)

 

12/23/2021 9:12 pm  #2694


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Crazy Rider wrote:

1. The St. Louis Park Louies play the song "To Life" from Fiddler on the Roof after every game, win or lose. 
It's one of the things I imagine that plays into the city's Jewish heritage. Also, it's a pretty good song on its own. 
2. Bloomington and Bloomington West play "Bang The Drum All Day" after they score a goal, since games between them are for a drum, and there are chants that are to the beat of said drum. 

 

1. LOVE that idea!  The more the Louies get to show the city's Jewish heritage, the more awesome it is.

2. Actually, the two Bloomington teams play for the Bone...you're thinking of Anoka & Coon Rapids.


https://i.imgur.com/3Uu3ZMC.png
https://i.imgur.com/hxWCk6p.png
 

12/23/2021 9:48 pm  #2695


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Burmy87 wrote:

Crazy Rider wrote:

1. The St. Louis Park Louies play the song "To Life" from Fiddler on the Roof after every game, win or lose. 
It's one of the things I imagine that plays into the city's Jewish heritage. Also, it's a pretty good song on its own. 
2. Bloomington and Bloomington West play "Bang The Drum All Day" after they score a goal, since games between them are for a drum, and there are chants that are to the beat of said drum. 

 

1. LOVE that idea!  The more the Louies get to show the city's Jewish heritage, the more awesome it is.

2. Actually, the two Bloomington teams play for the Bone...you're thinking of Anoka & Coon Rapids.

Thanks for the heads up. 

As for the Louies, I also imagine them also making an appeal to not play on the High Holy Days, and their snack bar also has fares like potato latkes, bagels and lox,  and matzo ball soup.

 

12/24/2021 8:18 am  #2696


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Section30 wrote:

1986/87 Regular Season - North

https://i.imgur.com/R25WTIP.png
https://i.imgur.com/9aWalfV.png

Hibbing claims their first Iron Range Hockey League title in over a decade, their 13th in team history. The past 11 seasons have been rough for the Hounds, making the post season only twice, but a new group of younger players emerged this year and carried Hibbing back to the top of the league. Grand Rapids set out this year to prove that last year was a fluke, and they did just that, returning to the playoffs for the 4th time in the past 5 seasons with a second place finish. Virginia took home the Miners Pickaxe and also return to the playoffs after falling to 7th a year ago. The battle for the final playoff spot came down to the final game of the season in rivalry week as the Ely Black Bears took on the Tower-Soudan Miners at a sold out Tower Civic Arena with the Miners Hardhat and a playoff birth on the line. The visitors would walk away victorious, ending the Miners season and getting back the Hardhat. After Tower-Soudan it was Babbitt, Mountain Iron, Eveleth, and Coleraine who all boasted really solid hockey teams, but failed to put together a complete season, finishing in the middle of the pack. Keewatin, Chisholm, and Hoyt Lakes bring up the rear, losing more games than not despite still having decent hockey teams.

https://i.imgur.com/UN9A2Uq.png

Make that two Lake Superior titles in the past three years for the Two Harbors Wolfpack. The Wolves continue to rely on their depth and team play, but it is working out as they finish in first place in arguably the toughest league in the MAHL. Thunder Bay and Superior were as dangerous as ever and look like serious contenders come playoffs. The Big Red Giants finished just 2 games behind Two Harbors with the Lakers only a game behind that. There was a bit of a drop to the next group of teams who were fighting for the final playoff spot. In the end it was won out by the Hermantown Huskies who finished the season with a 7 game win streak. The Broncos, Hornets, Nor'Westers, and Voyageurs were all within reach of that spot at one point or another in the season, but unfortunately for them, this wasn't the year. Lutsen turned some heads by finishing ahead of both Grand Marais and Silver Bay in only their second year, but all three would finish with losing records. Proctor won the wooden spoon for the third straight year, still struggling to compete with their larger neighbors.

https://i.imgur.com/7NQTL2A.png

After a 14 year break, Roseau is once again Northland Hockey League champion. The Stars took home their 11th NLHL crown while holding onto the Victory Bell for the third year in a row. Bemidji finished one game away from repeating as league champs, having to settle for second place and the Beltrami County Cup. St. James punched their ticket to the playoffs for the first time in team history with a third place finish. Fort Frances edged out Winnipeg and International Falls by a couple of games to end their two year drought. After the Monarchs and Ice, it was Blackduck and Warroad. The Mallards overachieved early on this year, but slowly fell back to earth and missed out on the playoffs. The Lakers finished in 8th for the second straight year, a startling sign for a town as hockey crazy as Warroad. Steinbach, Kenora, Baudette, and Red Lake bring up the rear, all finishing with losing records and relatively similar skill levels.

https://i.imgur.com/gR6utHq.png

There was a lot of movement in the top half of the Red River this year with East Grand Forks coming out of the chaos on top to set a new league record for titles with 8. The Pointers were followed by the defending Kellogg Cup champs from Detroit Lakes who kept their momentum going from last years playoffs into the regular season, tying their record for highest finish in second. West Fargo took home the Metro Bowl on their way to a third place finish. Grand Forks returns to the post season after a two year hiatus, taking home the Nodak Cup in the process. The Good Boys from Moorhead fell just short in fifth, but they have the consolation prize of finishing ahead of their arch rivals from Fargo. The Titans would come one spot behind the Huskies in 6th, bringing the third longest playoff streak in the MAHL to an end at 17 years. Thief River Falls, Grafton, Crookston, and Dilworth were all middle of the pack teams, winning some big games but also losing some easy ones. Pelican Rapids and Red Lake Falls finish 11th and 12th, ending up in the losers column  most nights.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Gotta say, Iron Range went a lot different from what I thought would happen. I had the Flames winning it, and the Royals being the only top 4 prediction I had.....1 out of 4 sometimes makes you wonder if zero would spare you some kind of pain.

The fact that the only Luke Superior team in the top 4 aligned with my prediction won the league....well that's a consolation. I'll take it. 

Northland: 1 for 4. Again. And I had the Lakers really running roughshod. Damn.

And I actually had the Pointers winning the league. At least 1 of my championship predictions has come to pass! Glad the Jets performed better than I thought. And the league turned out closer than I thought also. 
 

 

12/29/2021 9:22 pm  #2697


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

1986/87 Regular Season - Twin Cities North

https://i.imgur.com/TkSjovb.png
https://i.imgur.com/wyKL05Q.jpg

Make that four in a row for Maplewood as the Retrievers claim their 6th East Metro Hockey League title. Little Canada returns to the playoffs for the first time in 11 years, finishing just ahead of Roseville and Stillwater who will be returning to the post season with solid regular seasons. The fourth longest playoff streak in the MAHL has come to an end after 15 years with White Bear Lake missing the cut in fifth place by the end of the year. Mahtomedi was the definition of mediocre, winning some tough games but also losing their fare share. North St. Paul regressed quite a bit after making their first playoff appearance a year ago, finishing the season only ahead of the lowly Woodbury Woodchucks who only won 5 games on the year.

https://i.imgur.com/olw6Zwl.png

Sauk Rapids brings home their third GHL crown in the past four years, beating out Alexandria by only 2 games. Both the Bulldogs and Norsemen had years to be proud of, and should be considered serious threats come playoffs. Both St. Cloud teams finish 3 and 4 with the Storm finishing ahead of their arch rivals for the first time ever, winning the Chunk of Granite for the first time in the process. Sartell turned some heads in their first season, keeping pace with the top teams in the league and even fighting for a playoff spot before finishing in 5th. Morris, Fergus Falls, Little Falls, and Brainerd were all about equal in talent and all finished around .500 for the year. Wadena, Princeton, and Mora weren't terrible, but they wound up in the winning column more often than not. St. Joseph did about as well as expected for an expansion team but still came ahead of the bottom feeders of the league, the Twins.

https://i.imgur.com/0mGdais.png

The Osseo Screaming Eagles are your 1987 North Metro Hockey League champs, getting back to the top of the table for the first time since 1974 to get the Eagles their 3rd crown. It wasn't an easy title to win by any means with the top 4 teams all finishing within 5 games of each other. Anoka, Brooklyn Park, and Cottage Grove will join Osseo in the playoffs. It was another year of close, but not close enough for Elk River as their playoff dry spell extends to 11 years with their 5th place finish. Brooklyn Center and Plymouth both had good hockey teams who just couldn't put together a full season. Ramsey, Buffalo, and Maple Grove bring up the rear, all a bit below the rest of the pack by seasons end.

https://i.imgur.com/qp9jfdW.png

Mounds View remains atop the Northeast for the second year in a row, winning their 3rd NEHA crown in team history. Lino Lakes remained one of the top teams in the league again this year, making their 5th playoff appearance in their 5th season. Moving up into the playoff picture for the first time ever is Ham Lake who finished in third, one spot ahead of their arch rivals from East Bethel who will also be playing post season hockey. Blaine and Fridley were both good, but just not good enough to finish in the top four, seeing their seasons come to an end. Shoreview, Arden Hills, Columbia Heights, and New Brighton were all mediocre and finished below .500 for the season. The wooden spoon went to Spring Lake Park who just couldn't get anything and will look to put this season behind them as quick as possible.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

     Thread Starter
 

12/30/2021 4:16 pm  #2698


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

I think my predictions for this region turned out better than the North Region, but I got a Kellogg Cup team from this region still in the running, so I'm not too miffed. 

 

12/30/2021 7:38 pm  #2699


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

It hasn't been the year for the Voyageurs for like 10 years now. Sad days to be a Le Bleus fan.


https://i.imgur.com/UBq6rnN.png
https://i.imgur.com/SPnIfBS.png
AHS Admin. Creator of PUCH and the THL.
 

12/30/2021 11:06 pm  #2700


Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Steelman wrote:

It hasn't been the year for the Voyageurs for like 10 years now. Sad days to be a Le Bleus fan.

Must have been so long I don't remember when it last was "the year". 

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum