Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2021 8:00 pm  #2351

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

1983 Regular Season - South

The Diamonds have gone back to back as Champions of the Blue Earth Hockey League, winning out the two team battle at the top of the league between New Ulm and Mankato. The Moose would finish 2 games behind the Bavarians in second, but they took home the Kato Cup and looked every bit as dangerous as the champs. Faribault is back after missing the playoffs the past two seasons, coming out of nowhere to be one of the most consistent teams day in and day out on their way to a third place finish. The new look Green Giants hold onto the four spot to remain in the playoffs as they look for their first post season win. The BEHL was a really even league outside the top two and maybe the Bluegills, with any team capable of winning on any given night. Those on the outside went North Mankato, Mason City, Owatonna, St. Peter, Fairmont, Albert Lea, and Waseca bringing up the rear.

It was a good year to wear brown/maroon with the top three finishers in the Southwest all using them as their primary color. Brookings gets back to the top of the table, claiming their 4th title in the last 5 years. Willmar showed that last year wasn't a fluke as they finish ahead of SWHA powerhouse Sioux Falls who finished in third. Sliding into the final playoff slot is Marshall after back to back fifth place finishes the past couple years. Hutchinson followed up their impressive first season a year ago with another nice one, but in the end they were left out of playoff hockey by falling to fifth. Sioux Falls had a solid season, finishing 1 game above .500 on the year. Luverne, Worthington, and Spirit Lake were all "meh", finishing with losing records and not much else of note. The MAHL's worst rivalry was again a fight for second to last in the league with Vermillion sweeping the Paddlefish in their season series to finish ahead of Yankton.

After two straight second place finishes, Cottage Grove finally managed to get over the hump to take home their first St. Croix Hockey League title. Last years champs from Eau Claire were able to put together another solid season, coming in second and taking home the tire. Menomonie was a surprise this year, more than doubling their win total from a year ago on their way to a third place finish. Sliding down to fourth is Hastings and many are beginning to wonder if their current core's best days are behind them and if they'll need to change some things up soon. Despite having a down year, the Rivermen were still able to keep their playoff streak alive at the dismay of River Falls who had been fighting among the top teams for the a good chunk of the year only to fall short in the end. Lake Elmo and Chippewa Falls both had losing seasons, but both teams were able to get a handful of wins on the year as well, showing the parity of the league is getting better.

Make it 16 VHL titles for the Rochester Mustangs, sweeping their silverware for the season as well. Austin came in second with another good season finishing a couple games behind Rochester. Red Wing and Northfield were the other two playoff teams, both putting together some talented teams that could make some noise in the playoffs. Winona was good all year long, but sometimes good isn't enough as was the case this time, falling out of the playoffs a year after reaching the Super Series. La Crosse and Lake City both were middle of the pack teams for the whole year, which was a pleasant surprise for both squads who were expected to finish near the bottom of the league. There was a lot of hype around the Rochester Robins heading into this season but it turned out to all be for naught with the orange and black finishing well outside the playoff hunt when the season came to an end. Cannon Falls, Wabasha, and St. Charles make up the bottom three, none of them necessarily bad, but not good either.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

3/12/2021 8:01 pm  #2352

Here is the final League Rankings at the end of the season, I'll now wait for the MAHL analysts to get their rankings in and we can begin the post season

3/12/2021 9:41 pm  #2353

Well done Oaks!

3/13/2021 2:09 pm  #2354

Took a deep dive into this season and I love being reminded of all the looks in this league. The Tappers are so bad, but are absolutely gorgeous. Fergus Falls also look great in their Maroon, hope to keep seeing them in the top 4. 

Hennepin is such a high quality division when it comes to jerseys. I am happy to see the six in that two slot. Wayzata's red pops off the screen! Eden Prairie looks like a classic. Chaska's spear is intimidating as hell. All they'd have to do to make a statement in the league is thin their arm's vertical stripe and make them flair upwards at the cuff at a sharper angle. It would make the stripe look like a spear and I'd eat it up. Chanhassen also deserves some praise for that badger logo. Better than the one that UW has and it's one of the best in the league.

The Bucks stand out in the South. I almost want them to do bad so I can see their gorgeous darks. I'm content with the playoffs considering they don't use the wine color as the base for their color jersey (If I remember correctly).

This is the first time I've seen the Mavs red Js in awhile. They are stunning. Besides that, I can't wait to see those Bakers olive green threads at some point.

Roosters looking like one hot cock, per usual. Also have to call out Bloomington West for having the goodest boy in the league, and that's quite the compliment considering the amount of doggos in the MAHL.

Completely out of nowhere, but I can't hold it in anymore. I really wish Grand Rapids didn't change their logo. This one is far inferior. I hope they bring back the old one with a facelift soon.

Last comment, the Royals V helmet is so gimmicky, but I want it injected straight into my veins!

(Where do we vote on rankings again?)

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (3/13/2021 2:13 pm)

3/13/2021 8:04 pm  #2355

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Took a deep dive into this season and I love being reminded of all the looks in this league. The Tappers are so bad, but are absolutely gorgeous. Fergus Falls also look great in their Maroon, hope to keep seeing them in the top 4. 

Hennepin is such a high quality division when it comes to jerseys. I am happy to see the six in that two slot. Wayzata's red pops off the screen! Eden Prairie looks like a classic. Chaska's spear is intimidating as hell. All they'd have to do to make a statement in the league is thin their arm's vertical stripe and make them flair upwards at the cuff at a sharper angle. It would make the stripe look like a spear and I'd eat it up. Chanhassen also deserves some praise for that badger logo. Better than the one that UW has and it's one of the best in the league.

The Bucks stand out in the South. I almost want them to do bad so I can see their gorgeous darks. I'm content with the playoffs considering they don't use the wine color as the base for their color jersey (If I remember correctly).

This is the first time I've seen the Mavs red Js in awhile. They are stunning. Besides that, I can't wait to see those Bakers olive green threads at some point.

Roosters looking like one hot cock, per usual. Also have to call out Bloomington West for having the goodest boy in the league, and that's quite the compliment considering the amount of doggos in the MAHL.

Completely out of nowhere, but I can't hold it in anymore. I really wish Grand Rapids didn't change their logo. This one is far inferior. I hope they bring back the old one with a facelift soon.

Last comment, the Royals V helmet is so gimmicky, but I want it injected straight into my veins!

(Where do we vote on rankings again?)

Thank you for the in depth comments, it'd be too much to reply to each one but I'll definitely take your comments into consideration and appreciate the kind words!

As far as your comment about Grand Rapids logo change, I definitely expect to see the old Moose come back at some point in some fashion, but I think the updated logo is likely to stay.

I'll pm you about the your question about the rankings.

3/14/2021 6:10 pm  #2356

The MAHL is proud to welcome a 7th Analyst to our team, Richard Ardrick from the Courier Sentinel in Cadott, Wi.

3/19/2021 12:09 am  #2357

1983 MAHL Power Rankings

Also Receiving Votes: Willmar-10, Cottage Grove-8, Mound-8, South St. Paul-8, Mounds View-5, Cloquet-3, Grand Marais-2, Austin-1.

3/19/2021 12:12 am  #2358

1983 Kellogg Cup Playoff Trees

Let me hear your thoughts and predictions, comments are appreciated!

3/22/2021 7:37 pm  #2359

Glad to see the Vulcans & Victorias dominating again

3/23/2021 5:59 pm  #2360

1983 Kellogg Cup Playoffs: First Round - North

#1 Fort Frances Trappers vs Tower-Soudan Miners
In their first playoff game since returning as a franchise, the Miners were able to actually put together a rather solid performance. The only issue is that they happened to be going against the unanimous top ranked team in all of the MAHL. Fort Frances jumped out to a two goal lead early and never let the Miners back into it, but to Tower's credit, they were able to keep it close. In what could have very easily been a route, the Miners were able to hold on and even get a pair of goals past the Trapper goalie. In the end Fort Frances was just way too skilled to go down in this one, taking down Tower-Soudan by a final score of 5-2.

#16 Winnipeg Monarchs vs #18 Moorhead Huskies
This one was a battle through and through. The up and coming Huskies were looking for their first statement win in the playoffs and they came pretty damn close in this one. Moorhead converted on the powerplay in the first to take a 1-0 lead that they kept until midway through the third period when Winnipeg finally found the back of the net on their 37th shot of the game. Max Belle Centre was shaking with "Lets Go Monarchs" chants for the next few minutes and you could tell all the momentum was on Winnipeg's side. A rebound was popped home with a little over two minutes to go that put Winnipeg up 2-1 and nearly caused the roof to blow off from celebration. An empty netter with 12 seconds left made it official, Winnipeg had come back to knock off Moorhead by a score of 3-1.

#7 Fargo Titans vs East Grand Forks Pointers
It was a Red River Rivalry game in Fargo for a chance to keep their season alive. The Titans got off to a great start, scoring on their first shot of the game, but EGF was able to tie it up 37 seconds later, setting the tone of the game early. The rest of the first was scoreless despite a number of chances on both sides. The two remained in a back and forth for the next two periods, but the shots were again finding the back of the net, ending regulation tied 4-4. The sold out John E. Carlson Coliseum was as tense as ever, but fans of both teams welcomed their teams back to the ice with booming chants. The puck was dropped and it wasn't long before the scoring chances picked up right where they left off. The Pointers rang a shot off the post 3 minutes in, coming inches away from advancing. The Titans picked up the puck and broke out of their zone and down on an odd man rush. The puck was dropped back to a trailing winger who scooped it up and took a shot hard and low on goal. It was stopped, but created a rebound that was promptly smacked home by a Fargo forward. The Coliseum erupted in cheering as the Titans flooded over the boards in celebration. Fargo survives, knocking out their rivals from East Grand Forks 5-4 in overtime.

#8 Virginia Royals vs Cloquet Broncos
This has become one of the fiercest non-league rivalries in recent memory, two of the most historic teams in all of the MAHL who will have now met in the playoffs 4 times in the past 6 years. It was a sold out house as the teams took the ice, as usual in Virginia. The first period really set the tone, no goals but a whole lot of physical play. Things kept getting chippier as the game went on, leading to a few penalties that got the scoring opened up. The Broncos got a shot through a screen with a couple seconds left in the second to take a 2-1 lead heading into the third. Virginia was quick to tie the game at two in the third, sending a man in all alone on a breakaway that he buried five hole. The hostilities continued in the third including a scrum that included some punches thrown with gloves on. We were still tied after the final horn sounded so we went to overtime, and then a second when there was no winner after 20 minutes. The game was finally decided on a deflection in front of the net that was able to get past the Royals goaltender. Miners Memorial Arena was silent while Cloquet players flooded the ice to mob their teammate. For the second year in a row Cloquet brings Virginia's season to an end, this time in a double ot thriller by a final score of 3-2.

#2 Thunder Bay Giants vs Grand Forks Jets
It was a bit of a score for the Big Red Giants early on, but they were eventually able to get back to their game and get it done in the end. Thunder Bay got off to a horrific start to the game, getting only 1 shot on net in the first 15 minutes of the game while letting Grand Forks jump out to a 2-0 lead. The Giants got a goal in the second but the Jets converted on a 2 on 1 to take back their 2 goal lead up 3-1. The Jets got robbed by the Thunder Bay goaltender with under 5 minutes left in the second and it seemed to give his team a bit of a jump as they were able to dominate the final minutes of the game despite not being able to bury it. The third is where Big Red showed how they got the #2 ranking in the MAHL, lighting up the Grand Forks goaltender with 21 shots on goal, four of which finding the back of the net. Thunder Bay marches on, taking down Grand Forks 5-3.

#11 Hermantown Huskies vs #20 Superior Lakers
You couldn't dream of a better start to your team's post season career than what Hermantown did. "Freezeberger" was filled to the gills with fans to witness the #11 Huskies take on LSHL foes #20 Superior. Hermantown put on a clinic for 60 minutes, completely sucking the life out of the Laker offense while converting on the chances Superior gave them. When it was all said and done it was the up and comers from over the hill who walk away with their first every playoff win, shutting out Superior 3-0.

#4 Grand Rapids Moose vs International Falls Ice
UPSET ALERT! The Moose are no longer loose, I repeat, the Moose are no longer loose. International Falls was a team who came into these playoffs feeling disrespected about not being ranked and they came out here looking to make a point. The first period was pretty slow and uneventful, but it picked up dramatically in the second. Grand Rapids struck first and all was looking well at the IRA Civic Arena, but a 5 minute major for checking from behind was enough to turn the tides in a way that nobody was quite expecting. The Ice had one of the better powerplay units in the MAHL this year, but it was never something people would really think of as their big strength, but on this major penalty something happened that turned the game completely on its head. International Falls wasted no time, scoring 6 seconds into the man advantage and they were only getting started. By the time the Moose player was able to return to play, the Ice had managed to bury FOUR goals. Now down 4-1, the Moose were in a desperate position. They were able to get a rebound goal in the third to make it a two goal game, but the Ice were simply playing to kill the clock in the final period and it paid off as the Moose were unable to comeback. International Falls advances, knocking off the fourth ranked Moose by a score of 4-2.

#9 Warroad Lakers vs #25 Mountain Iron Cougars
I don't know whether Warroad was just having the game of a lifetime or if Mountain Iron just decided not to show up. Whatever the case, the end result was ugly. The Lakers held nothing back in this one, lighting up the Cougar goaltender with 46 shots on goal over the span of the game. The Cougs were able to avoid the shutout with a goal on their only powerplay of the game, but it didn't do much to ease the pain as Warroad cruises on to the Section Final with a 7-1 blowout.

Board footera