Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2020 7:17 pm  #2201

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Superior Lakers
Love the look of white yoke or white vertical stripes on a dark jersey. They are confusing as all hell for the team playing them, but they look good.

Apple Valley Cardinals
Again, with the white vertical stripe. It is a winner.

Eau Claire Rubber Kings
I prefer the "e", but appreciate the numbers being removed from the chest.

South St. Paul Mavs
I really missed the unique striping of the past Mavs. I am happy to see them cleaned up and brought back.

St. Peter Governors
The new striping really makes this team stand out. Feels like the modern Dallas Stars set with a diagonal sleeve cut.

Wabasha Eagles
White vertical stripe.

Bloomington West Terriers
Huge logo upgrade, and if you disagree... well you still get the old one on the arm. Also an improvement for the jerseys. Would love a gold alt with just the "W" on it.

Cannon Falls Artillery
They put it in a circle! Side step. Huge kudos on the stripes, though. The jerseys give off some old black/white Hawks vibes.

Cloquet Broncos
Ah, my first love. So many teams who have caught my attention since, but the Broncos are still sharp. The change from word to horse doesn't do much for me, but the emphasis on gold is great.

Roseau Stars
Not a fan of the original star, but it beats the wordmark. I'm surprised it isn't on the chest.

Grand Forks Jets
I like the new wordmark you got there, and thank you for fixing the numbers.

Shoreview Pike
100% upgrade on the logo, and I like that they removed numbers just to make "PIKE" bigger on the chest.

Silver Bay Beavers
Will miss the beaver more than anyone else,  but I think the "SB" is the best logo of the year. It is a crime that it isn't used on the chest.

Thief River Falls Railers
Love their new look, it makes them somewhat relevant again after so many years. I'd buy the jerseys. I like that they are completely different while sticking close to the originals.

St. Charles and Hutchinson are mid tier for me, but that isn't bad considering there are about 50 teams in that tier. Willmar gets some extra points from me just because of their shoulder stripe. I love them.

As for Babbitt, great minds think alike.

(This concept was made for my youth THL series almost a year ago. I think only Steel has seen it.)

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (12/16/2020 7:20 pm)

12/16/2020 7:28 pm  #2202

I'd really be interested in finding a way to be able to do a tier list of all the teams, I think that would be really fun.

As for the new looks this offseason. There isn't one I can say I don't like. I really like the new Terriers logo, it's a big upgrade. I don't love the Beavers dropping the beaver logo, but I can't say I don't really like the SB logo, it's like you pulled it directly out of that era. Great job. 

My favorite expansion team, and maybe my favorite over the past couple years, has got to be the Crows. There are some real Collingwood Magpies vibes, but I think that's just because of the posture of the bird.

12/16/2020 8:44 pm  #2203

Though Hutch is closer to home, Willmar is the new #2 for me. (Sorry, Grand Rapids.) The Rangers and the Rabbits are good, but something about Hutch rubs me the wrong way.

I also support any future MAHL visual identity tier list or ranking.

12/21/2020 4:36 pm  #2204

Pretty good job with the Terriers.

Texans.Astros.Rockets.Lighting. 

12/28/2020 4:48 pm  #2205

Thank you everyone for the feedback on the offseason, I'm glad that it seems to be well received overall

I may or may not have definitely made a MAHL team tier list if anyone is interested CLICK HERE I did accidentally leave in the old Stillwater Athletic Club and original Soudan Miners but I cant remove them so its whatever

12/28/2020 7:29 pm  #2206

I'm not sure how many of these are shocking opinions but here's my list! I had a fun time making it, thanks for creating it Section!

They aren't organized within sections.

12/29/2020 3:39 pm  #2207

1981/82 Regular Season - North Region

Fergus Falls kept it going this year, battling with Brainerd all year long for the top spot in the GHL until they managed to hold onto the top spot with a 4 game win streak to end the season. This is the Cyclones second time winning the Granite Hockey League, the first coming back in 1975. The aforementioned Lumberjacks came in second, hot on the heels of the Clones but falling just short in second. Sauk Rapids and Alexandria round out the top four to make reappearances in the post season. That means that a certain team of Bearcats will not be making the playoffs for the first time since 1947. The St. Cloud Bearcats have been a pillar of consistency through their history, making 34 straight playoff appearances, but that steak has come to an end with the Cats finishing one spot out in 5th. Next up was Little Falls and then there was a drop in the standings to the bottom three. Mora, the Storm, and Princeton round out the table in the bottom three spots, all with losing records and seasons to forget.

Virginia is back after a shocking season a year ago. The Royals jumped up from 6th place last year to claim their third Iron Range title in the last 5 years, their 10th IRHL crown. Next up were Coleraine and Chisholm who both looked really good all year long, beating out Hibbing who came in fourth to end their 6 year playoff drought. As always, there were some top notch clubs that had their seasons cut short. This year it was Grand Rapids, Eveleth, and Mountain Iron who had their seasons come to an end despite being very good hockey teams. The rest of the pack was pretty even with no teams sticking out as horrible, but none of them had what it took to make the post season.

Cloquet is back! The Broncos bounced back after a shocking 7th place finish a year ago to clinch their first Lake Superior League title in 15 years. The defending champs remained in second with Big Red not far behind in third. The fourth and final playoff spot was up for grabs for most of the season with about 4-5 teams all having had a legitimate shot at it. When the season came to an end though it was the Explorers who were able to keep their season going, leaving Hermantown, both Duluth teams, and Silver Bay on the outside looking in. Two Harbors and Proctor were at the bottom of the league, both solid teams that just couldn't quite keep up with the rest.

The Winnipeg Monarchs are the Kings of the Northland for the first time in a decade. The Bruisers were the team to beat this year, using their mix of size and speed to overwhelm their opponents. Fort Frances and Roseau remained in second and third and both look just as dangerous as ever. There was a bit of a surprise in the four spot with International Falls coming out of nowhere to end their 13 year playoff drought. The Ice also managed to win back the Can-Am Cup to give them the edge in the al time series 16-15. With the unexpected run by the Ice, that meant one really good squad would be left out. That team just so happened to be the Warroad Lakers who drop from first to fifth, ending their 9 year playoff streak despite still being one of the best teams in all of the MAHL according to many analysts. Kenora and Bemidji were both solid teams that just lacked that extra bit to help get them over the hump, both the Muskrats and Ox finished right around .500 on the year. Steinbach, Blackduck, and Baudette round out the table, all of which would be considered at least middle of the pack in the grand scheme of the MAHL, really giving a testament to the skill level in the NLHL this year.

The big three were really living up to the nickname this year with all three teams taking up the top 3 spots in the final standings. Grand Forks took home the RRHL crown for the 7th time in team history, taking home both the Giant Fork and the Nodak Cup in the process. Fargo came in second, winning the inaugural Metro Bowl. East Grand Forks was left empty handed in terms of rivalry trophies, but that will just leave them hungrier for the Kellogg Cup come playoffs. Finishing off the top four is Moorhead who will be making their 4th playoff appearance as they look for their first post season win. West Fargo and Thief River Falls both had solid seasons as well, but they were just short of the playoffs. Crookston and Detroit Lakes both had disappointing seasons by their standards, finishing below .500 and not playing nearly as well as they were expected. The bottom two remained the same with Pelican Rapids and Dilworth struggling for the majority of the year.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

12/29/2020 3:56 pm  #2208

Love seeing Winnipeg on top!!! and I mean gotta admit a soft spot for the Jets in Grand Forks.

12/29/2020 4:42 pm  #2209

Section, how many of these hockey leagues are there in this universe?

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

12/29/2020 4:56 pm  #2210

Sevsdast wrote:

Section, how many of these hockey leagues are there in this universe?

Outside of the MAHL, I don't really have any idea how many other Amateur Hockey Leagues there are. I have heard that there is something similar out in Quebec, but that is the closest thing I know of.

Board footera