Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2020 5:41 pm  #2191

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Great updates!

I can't be the only one who sees a Yarmulke in the Pike logo.

12/15/2020 8:27 pm  #2192

I REALLY like the new TRF logo. To take something iconic and upgrade it into something more modern can be a difficult thing to pull off but I think you it did it super well here.

I like the new logo for Silver Bay. Wish it was on the chest. That Jets script is nice. That Jewish pike is nice too. Haha. Very appropriate for Hanukkah!

I'm a fan of Mason City but I dislike this update. The stripes are nice but the logo is a downgrade. It had a fun whimsical feel before which is lost. Cloquet's look is a wash for me. The new uniform and logo is unnecessarily super busy.

I like the new Bloom West terrier. The W in the collar is a nice touch. Oddly, I don't think the drop shadow numbers work with the new style. The new Eau Claire script is a nice touch. I like the rest of the updates.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

12/15/2020 9:49 pm  #2193

Some very solid updates across the board! The standout to me is the Stars' classic logo returning, it's got an old-timey feel to it that I really like.

12/16/2020 3:42 pm  #2194

Expansion Teams

Babbitt is a small Iron Range town of under 2,500 people. Like the rest of the Iron Range, hockey is life in Babbitt and with an odd number of teams in the IRHL, Babbitt was ready to swoop in to be the 12th team in the league. The push for getting a team in Babbitt really picked up following the 1980 Olympics which saw Babbitt native Bill Schneider score the first goal of the game against the Soviets in what became known as the "Miracle On Ice". Babbitt will play their home games at 1,000 seat Babbitt Ice Arena.

They will be called the "Rabbits", an ode to Schneider's nickname "The Babbitt Rabbit". Their logo is a modified roundel with a leaping rabbit in the center above crossed hockey sticks with the teams founding year. Keeping with the American theme, the Rabbits will wear red, white, and blue. The jerseys are almost the same as what team USA wore in 1980 but with diagonal text across the front and their logo on the shoulders instead of stars.

12/16/2020 3:45 pm  #2195

Babbit Rabbits, not bad at all!

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

12/16/2020 3:54 pm  #2196

St. Charles is a small town on the rise down in the Valley. Located between Winona and Rochester, St. Charles has just over 2,000 residents. The Rangers will play their home games at the Winona County Fairgrounds which can seat 1,000 fans.

They will be called the "Rangers" becoming the second team in MAHL history to use the name (The Eveleth Rangers existed from 1903-1940). The name comes from St. Charles' nickname "Gateway to Whitewater" a reference to Whitewater State Park which is located just north of town. Their logo is a shield with a StC monogram and "Rangers" arched above. Their team colors are green, gold, and black.

12/16/2020 4:07 pm  #2197

Hutchinson is a pretty big town, sitting at just under 10,000 residents. The issue is where the town in located. It is too far west for any Metro league, too far south for the Granite, and were denied entrance to the Blue Earth Hockey League. After some discussions, the Southwest Hockey Association finally permitted Hutchinson to join so long as they had a partner town in the area that could join as well. The Crows will play their home games at 800 seat Burich Arena.

The team will be called the "Crows" due to the towns location on the shores of the Crow River. Their logo is an oval with a Crow silhouette in the center. The teams colors are black and blue.

12/16/2020 4:20 pm  #2198

Our final expansion team is the other half of that SWHA deal, Willmar. Willmar is a town of 16,000 located a little northwest of Hutchinson. The Posse will play their home games in 1,800 seat Willmar Civic Center.

They will be called the "Posse", a reference to the fact that Machine Gun Kelly and his gang robbed the Bank of Willmar back in 1930. Rather than embracing the robber (similar to Northfield) Willmar decided to go with a Sheriff motif. Their logo is based off the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's badge. There's a W for Willmar in the center of the star with "Posse" above. The team colors are brown and gold.

That wraps up the 1981 Offseason, let me know what you think comments are appreciated!

12/16/2020 4:24 pm  #2199

Four new identities, four modern-day CLASSICS! (I would SO buy a Babbitt Rabbits jersey if they existed IRL)

Another FANTASTIC offseason...this coming season will be sweet too.

12/16/2020 6:01 pm  #2200

Awesome new teams!

Love the Rabbits. That crest is gorgeous. Kind of a shame it's not on the front of the sweater. 

I really like the more soccer style crest on the chest for the Rangers. I think the black outlines on the lettering and numbers are unnecessary. 

I like the name Crows and that word mark feels very vintage old-timey. Those hues of black and purple/blue don't work well together though. It feels a bit like a practice jersey. The logo is pretty simple but it works for a small team. I'll be curious to see how this identity progresses as I think there's a lot of potential with it.

The POSSE are unique. Love the color scheme. I like what you did with the sheriff badge logo, makes for a great upper chest crest. The vertical stripes on the shoulders are definitely different but I like them!

Nice work as always!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera