Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2020 11:56 am  #1671

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Dan O'Mac's Great 8 Predictions:
I like both the Millers and the Moose right now, as both are playing really good hockey. I'm going to take the Millers in this one, as they get that boost from the "home crowd".

The Cake Eaters and the Beavers are going to be playing in the closest matchup of the round. I do like the Beavers a lot, but the Cake Eaters are going to levereage their experience advantage into a trip to the Semifinals.

The defending champion Redbirds will get a matchup against my least favorite team, the Giants. I definitely want to see Thunder Bay lose, and, thankfully, I am seeing the boys from Eveleth getting the win.

Finally, the Roosters will face the Mavericks in my upset of the round. I think the Mavericks are on another miracle run, and the Roosters are going to be left wondering "What if?" about 1977 for quite some time.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/16/2020 3:01 pm  #1672

1977 Kellogg Cup Super Series Great Eight

Minneapolis Millers vs Mankato Moose
The boys in black were the ones in control in this one, outshooting Mankato 33-24 on the night. The Moose actually got the first goal of the game, but Minneapolis answered back with a pair of their own to lead 2-1 after one. The Millers then scored another in the second and one more in the third before Mankato would finally get through for the second time. Minneapolis was just the better team, earning their way to the Semi Finals with a 4-2 win over Mankato.

Edina Cake Eaters vs Silver Bay Beavers
Cole Nanne had a game to remember, carrying the Edina Cake Eaters to a 5-3 victory with a 4 point night including a hat trick for the former Tschida Trophy recipient. Silver Bay put up a hell of a fight, scoring a pair of goals in the third to give a sense of a potential comeback that never came to fruition. The final horn sounded to send Edina to the Semi Finals for the 5th time in franchise history.

Eveleth Redbirds vs Thunder Bay Giants
Two of the most iconic teams from the north faced off in the first night game of the day in what turned out to be an instant classic. It was a physical affair as most northern games tend to be, and the refs seemed to let a lot go, letting the two play it out. It was a very close game for both teams with the shots being 31-30 in favor of Thunder Bay at the end of regulation with the score tied 2-2. A few minutes passed in overtime before Eveleth intercepted the puck in center ice, quickly switching to the attack. The winger on the far side booked it towards the goal once the puck was in the zone. The Redbird player saucered a pass over the Giant defenders stick, hitting his teammate on the tape for a one time redirect. The Thunder Bay goalie dove back towards the puck, but was unable to make the stop. The St. Paul Civic Center erupted with cheers as the Redbirds advance with a 3-2 win over Thunder Bay.

Richfield Roosters vs Austin Mavericks
The final game of the night was a hard fought hockey game that saw the Roosters and Mavericks go back and forth in the lead. Richfield started the scoring with a pair of goals in the first, but the Mavericks made it a one goal lead early in the second. The two then went back and forth with Richfield scoring, then Austin, then Richfield again, and then the Mavericks one more time to end the second with the Roosters up 4-3. Austin finally crawled their way to a tie game when they slammed home a rebound to tie the game at 4. The momentum and most the crowd cheering for Austin were only making it more difficult on Richfield. The Mavericks smelled blood in the water and kept the pressure on the Roosters. The Mavs worked the puck around the zone, getting it behind the net and centering it for a one timer in the high slot. The one timer was an absolute rocket that beat the goalie blocker side. The Civic Center was electric as Austin celebrated at their bench, jumping and screaming. The Roosters would not be able to get anything else past the Maverick goaltender as Austin advances to the Semi Finals with a 5-4 comeback win over Richfield.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

6/16/2020 3:09 pm  #1673

Kellogg Cup Semi Finals Preview:

Minneapolis Millers vs Edina Cake Eaters
The Millers and Eaters are set to face off for the first time since 1971, and for the first time in the playoffs since 1967. Minneapolis has the historical advantage, winning both of their prior playoff meetings. Will the Mighty Millers feast on cake? Or will Edina slay their bigger neighbors?

Eveleth Redbirds vs Austin Mavericks
The most successful team in MAHL history looks to defend their crown, but a red hot Austin Maverick team stands in the way as they look to bring the Cup back to Austin. Will the Redbirds take the W and make their 10th finals appearance? Or will Austin duplicate their playoff magic from 20 years ago?

6/16/2020 3:15 pm  #1674

4 for 4 on those picks!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/16/2020 3:16 pm  #1675

Burmy87 wrote:

Oh wow...this is just getting more and more interesting by the moment!  There is still a possibility that we could get our first intraleague Kellogg Cup Final since 1958 (if Silver Bay and Thunder Bay or Edina and Richfield make it all the way)...this will be something to see!

S/N Anybody else noticed that Austin had gone through a bit of a drought when they'd ditched the "Flying A," and now that it's back (even as a shoulder patch) they're back to their glory days?  That should say something...I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the primary again within five years.

I'm honestly kinda surprised it's been so long since an intraleague final happened, with the Iron Range, Northland, Twin Cities, West Metro, and Lake Superior seemingly always having a couple of very good teams.

I also noticed that for Austin, the Flying A must be good luck lol, I will say that the Flying A isn't going to be going away anytime soon.

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Dan O'Mac's Great 8 Predictions:
I like both the Millers and the Moose right now, as both are playing really good hockey. I'm going to take the Millers in this one, as they get that boost from the "home crowd".

The Cake Eaters and the Beavers are going to be playing in the closest matchup of the round. I do like the Beavers a lot, but the Cake Eaters are going to levereage their experience advantage into a trip to the Semifinals.

The defending champion Redbirds will get a matchup against my least favorite team, the Giants. I definitely want to see Thunder Bay lose, and, thankfully, I am seeing the boys from Eveleth getting the win.

Finally, the Roosters will face the Mavericks in my upset of the round. I think the Mavericks are on another miracle run, and the Roosters are going to be left wondering "What if?" about 1977 for quite some time.

4 for 4 lol not bad

6/16/2020 3:21 pm  #1676

Dan O'Mac's Semifinal Thoughts:
In the Semifinals, I'm going to go with the Cake Eaters over the Millers. I feel like the boys from Edina want it more, having been so close, but also falling short. But I also see them losing in the finals if they make it, which makes my other pick that much more bold.

I'm taking the Mavericks over the Redbirds. The Redbirds are good, no doubts, but I see the Mavericks winning, and then beating Edina in another heart-breaking loss for the Cake Eaters.

6/17/2020 4:03 pm  #1677

1977 Kellogg Cup Semi Finals

Minneapolis Millers vs Edina Cake Eaters
Two of the most iconic teams in the Twin Cities Metro went to war in St. Paul to see who would advance to the Finals. After a scoreless first, Minneapolis came to life in the second, scoring 3 goals in a 7 minute span to turn the game on its head, giving the Millers a commanding 3-0 lead heading into the third. Nanne managed to dangle his way into the slot early in the third to get Edina on the scoreboard, giving them a sense of life as well. The Cake Eaters controlled play for the next few minutes, but the Miller defense did its job. The Millers were able to get a chance on a counter attack, ripping a shot through a defenders legs as a screen that blew past the Edina goalie to give Minneapolis a 4-1 lead. The final horn eventually sounded, adding another chapter to Edina's playoff woes as Minneapolis advances to the Finals with a 4-1 win.

Eveleth Redbirds vs Austin Mavericks
The Redbirds were the better hockey team in this game, no question about it, but Austin was giving their absolute all and it made for a very good hockey game. The Mavericks got the scoring started on a deflection late in the first that beat the Redbird goalie five hole. It wouldn't be long after the second began that Eveleth would get on the board for themselves to tie the game at 1. The Birds converted on a powerplay with 6 minutes left in the second to jump in front 2-1. The third was back and forth with the Mavs giving it their absolute all. Eveleth was just able to keep the clock rolling, dumping it deep every chance they got. It was a race against time for Austin as the Redbirds just focused on playing shut down defense, not needing any more goals. Despite their best efforts, the Mavericks were unable to break through as their magical playoff run comes to an end with Eveleth returning to the Finals with a 2-1 win.

Finals Preview:
Minneapolis vs Eveleth, Twin Cities vs Iron Range, Original Ten matchup. Will the Mighty Millers claim their 4th Kellogg Cup? Or will the Redbirds defend their crown and make it 7 Cups for the small town from the North?

6/17/2020 4:11 pm  #1678

Dan O'Mac's Finals Thoughts:

Millers
and the Redbirds. Top two teams. As soon as I saw the matchup, I felt it was going to be the Millers. Going with my gut, and taking Minneapolis.

6/18/2020 3:48 pm  #1679

1977 Kellogg Cup Final

1st Period
MPLS - 0
EVE - 1

The St. Paul Civic Center was filled to capacity as the puck was dropped between the Minneapolis Millers and Eveleth Redbirds. The first half of the period was slow with the teams mainly getting a feel for one another, not really doing anything crazy. The Redbirds were given a powerplay opportunity with 6 minutes left in the period. A shot was taken from the point and saved, but a Redbird forward was right in the goalies face, ready to smack home the rebound to give Eveleth a 1-0 lead.

2nd Period
MPLS - 1
EVE - 2

Minneapolis answered just under 5 minutes into the second on a one timer that beat the Redbird goalie to the post. Eveleth would get the last laugh though, getting a 2 on 1 opportunity in the final 15 seconds of the period, sending a pass to a teammate for a one time tap in to give Eveleth a 2-1 lead heading into the third.

3rd Period
MPLS - 1
EVE - 4

The Redbirds started the third on fire, riding the momentum of the late period goal in the second to give them the lead. The Reds bombarded the Miller goalie with shots until one finally squeaked through and across the goal line. Minneapolis became desperate in the waning minutes of the game, opting to pull their goalie to get the extra attacker with over 2 minutes still to play. The Millers set up as though they were on the powerplay, looking for any open shooting lanes. A shot was ripped from the dot that rang off the pipe, earning a gasp from the crowd. A shot was taken from the point that was blocked by a Redbird in front and gathered by a teammate who carried it out of the zone and down the ice, dumping it in on the empty net to secure the victory for Eveleth. The final horn sounded and Eveleth swarmed the ice, throwing their gear in the air in celebration. The Eveleth Redbirds have gone back to back as Kellogg Cup Champions (the first team to do so since the Millers in 67-68), winning their 7th Kellogg Cup by a final score of 4-1.

The Tschida Trophy was awarded to Edina's Cole Nanne for leading the Cake Eaters back to the Semi Finals, putting up crazy numbers.

6/18/2020 6:04 pm  #1680

Holy crap we did it! Go Reds Go!

Board footera