Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2020 1:04 am  #1521

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

sevsdast wrote:

Thanks! Surprised Eagan shocked one of the best teams in Minnesota, maybe the best in Rochester, one more game for them into a miracle super series bid, also oaks sig please? (Will be last request until Saturday.)

Here is a sig for Eagan. I would suggest figuring out which teams exactly you want for sigs so I'm not going and making new ones every day, also not sure what you're on about Saturday?

5/27/2020 9:42 am  #1522

Section30 wrote:

sevsdast wrote:

Thanks! Surprised Eagan shocked one of the best teams in Minnesota, maybe the best in Rochester, one more game for them into a miracle super series bid, also oaks sig please? (Will be last request until Saturday.)

Here is a sig for Eagan. I would suggest figuring out which teams exactly you want for sigs so I'm not going and making new ones every day, also not sure what you're on about Saturday?

I THINK they're implying that they won't be asking for any more signatures until at least Saturday.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/27/2020 12:00 pm  #1523

Steelman wrote:

Duluth versus Eveleth is gonna be a great game. This new Voys team seems to have a penchant for random scoring binges, hopefully that will continue.

Bring it on Bleus!

5/27/2020 4:08 pm  #1524

1976 Kellogg Cup Playoffs: Second Round - Twin Cities

Twin Cities Vulcans vs Osseo Screaming Eagles
The Vulcans were just too hot for the Eagles to handle. The home ice advantage played right into their hands, getting under Osseo's skin and allowing the Vulcans to get more chances. It was a truly one sided affair with Osseo only getting 19 shots on goal, being denied all 19 times. Meanwhile the Vulcans were feasting in the offensive zone, putting up 42 shots and burying four to shut out Osseo 4-0.

Minnetonka Muskies vs Fridley Foxes
The West Metro Champs vs the underdogs from the East. What many expected to be a one sided game for the Muskies turned out to be a hard fought battle that could have gone either way. The game got off to a slow start, not seeing a goal until the third when Tonka opened up the Fridley defense to pop home a one timer to take the lead. The Foxes were down but not out, getting an odd man rush a few minutes later that was saved, but the rebound was put home to tie the game at 1. Overtime was needed at Minnetonka Arena to decide which team would be heading to Met Center for the first time. Over 10 minutes passed before the winner would be decided with Fridley getting a shot on goal from the circle that was deflected in front and into the back of the net. Fridley has completed the upset, knocking off Minnetonka 2-1 to advance to the Super Series for the first time in franchise history.

St. Paul Victorias vs White Bear Lake Braves
White Bear Lake got themselves off to a great start, scoring twice in the opening period to catch the V's by surprise. The St. Paul Auditorium became alive once more on a rocket from the point that blew past the Braves goaltender to get St. Paul on the board. That is when the floodgates opened with the V's unloading 3 more unanswered goals in the second to turn the game on White Bears head. The third would take a must slower turn than the first two, ending with the same score as it began with. The Victorias advance to their 9th Super Series appearance, defeating White Bear Lake 4-2.

Edina Cake Eaters vs Maplewood Retrievers
Braemar Arena was filled to the gills as the puck was dropped for this section final game between the Cake Eaters and Retrievers. "E-D-INA" chants were deafening, pushing the Eaters out to an early lead. The lead would be short lived with Maplewood tying it up only 23 seconds later and taking the lead minutes after that. The Goldies scored two more in the second to Edina's one to lead 4-2 as we went to the third. Things weren't looking good for Edina, trailing by two to the EMHL champs with only 20 minutes to play, but anything is possible when you have two of the most dynamic players in the MAHL on your team. Nanne took the team on his shoulders, scoring twice to tie the game at 4, the game tying goal came from an incredible individual effort from Hankinson who took a shot that was stopped but the rebound was put away by Nanne. We went to overtime in Edina with the arena more energized than ever. All the momentum was in favor of Edina, Maplewood needed a miracle at this point. The inevitable happened just over 4 minutes into overtime when Edina broke out of their zone 3 on 2, getting a shot off from the high circle that beat the goalie blocker side. The arena erupted as Cake Eaters flung themselves over the boards to celebrate advancing to their 7th Super Series in the last 8 years, beating Maplewood 5-4 in overtime.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

5/27/2020 4:14 pm  #1525

Well, still terrible on my upset picks, but I can pick a close game! I told you that the Muskies-Foxes would be close. I'm expecting the Foxes to get the 12 seed in the Super Series, unless the Oaks can upset the Brewers.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/28/2020 2:57 pm  #1526

1976 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - South

La Crosse Brewers vs Eagan Oaks
Nobody knew what to expect out of the Oaks coming off their biggest win in franchise history just days prior. Eagan began the game with moxie, getting out to an early lead and regaining it when the Brewers tied it at one. The Brewers began to finally take over in the second when they held Eagan to only 3 shots for the period while they scored a pair of goals to take a 4-2 lead. La Crosse would convert on a powerplay in the third to give themselves a comfortable 3 goal lead that they were able to hold until the final horn, returning to the Super Series for the third time in the last 4 years with a 5-2 win over Eagan.

St. Peter Governors vs Brookings Buffaloes
the Governors were in that all to familiar position on the cusp of finally reaching the Super Series, all they needed was to take down the Buffs from Brookings. The game got off to a slow start with the game remaining scoreless through 1. The Govs finally broke first blood with a snipe from the hash mark right into the top corner of the net. Lund Arena became alive as over 1,500 chanted "Lets Go Govs". St. Peter was able to beat the buzzer at the end of the second, scoring with 2 seconds left to improve their lead to 2. The Buffaloes were determined to stay in this game though, coming out flying in the third and getting on the board. The Govs would not let that get to them though as they scored again to make it 3-1. Brookings made it interesting once again with a rebound goal with just over 2 minutes to go in the game. The Buffs pulled their goalie for the extra attacker and St. Peter managed to get control and capitalize, knocking off Brookings 4-2 to finally reach the promised land after a decade of heartbreak.

Marshall Pheasants vs Austin Mavericks
When you picture playoff hockey, this is what you think of. The Mavericks and Pheasants battled for 60 minutes back and forth, throwing their bodies on the line and doing whatever it took to get the advantage. After 60 hard fought minutes the score was tied at 2, sending us to overtime at the Fairgrounds. The two continued to fight it out for over ten minutes before Marshall got a 2 on 1 chance. The Pheasant winger went wide while his teammate broke towards the goal. The winger fired a hard pass on the ice towards goal. The pass went right to his teammates stick blade where it was redirected past the Maverick goalie and into the back of the net. The crowd erupted as Pheasants flooded the ice to celebrate advancing to their first Super Series, defeating Austin 3-2 in overtime.

Sioux Falls Packers vs Apple Valley Cardinals
Compared to the other section finals in the south, this one was quite a boring game. The Packers were never really ever in danger with Apple Valley just really off their game on the night. There's no real way to explain why it happened, but the Cardinals just didn't click, passes were going haywire, shots were rare, turnovers common. Sioux Falls didn't play tremendous by any means either, they had enough chances that they should have run away with this one, but instead they only were able to put home 2. In the end the Packers advance with a 2-0 shutout win to make their 5th Super Series appearance in the last 6 years.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

5/28/2020 2:58 pm  #1527

1976 Super Series Bracket

Who do you think will advance? Let me know your thoughts!

5/28/2020 3:26 pm  #1528

What I'm hoping for: Us beating the Voyageurs for the Cup
My actual prediction: Somehow the Moose will win it again over Winnipeg or something.
What would be fun to see: Fridley winning it over St. Peter

5/28/2020 3:27 pm  #1529

Dan O'Mac's thoughts on the Super Series:

The Vulcans look to be primed for a tough matchup, and I'm going to predict the Packers to beat the Voyageurs.

Winnipeg getting the 4 over Edina is surprising in my book. Gotta think the Cake Eaters will take that out on the Foxes, and end their run.

Eveleth will get the winner of "Dan O'Mac's Matchup of the Round". The Pheasants and the Governors are going to be in a close one. I've been doubting the Governors every step of the way, so I'm going to continue to pick against them with the Pheasants.

Finally, the Victorias get the 3, and will face the Grand Rapids Moose. I want to see my Brewers move on, but I think the Moose will just outperform them.

5/28/2020 4:11 pm  #1530

Funnily enough, though I'm a Moose fan, unlike the rest of us, I actually don't see them lasting too long here.  I kinda get the strange feeling the Brewers win that matchup.  

I think we'll get an old-school matchup for the final though, with the Vulcans beating the Redbirds.

Board footera