Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2020 9:33 pm  #1511

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

I'd like to congratulate Brookings on their Super Series bid! ;)

I also wonder what the Oaks will do. The fans want more and they seem Eagan to please.

5/25/2020 10:09 pm  #1512

Dan O'Mac here. With the first round  of the Kellogg Cup Playoffs completed here in the MAHL, let's get into the thoughts of this guy.

North:
The Barbarians proved that my concerns about their matchup with Brainerd being a trap game were unfounded, with Steinbach clearly the better team on the ice.

I'm really looking forward to the Monarchs-Pointers matchup. I really like the Pointers, and they're my upset pick of the round in the north.

Chaos on the other side of the bracket, with the 3, 6 and 7 seeds all going down. Eveleth should get by the Trappers, and I gotta pick the Voyageurs to end the Pilots Cinderella run.

Twin Cities:
The Vulcans cruised, but are going to be matching up with a team that put up a bunch of goals quickly. The Twin Cities-Osseo match with see a lot of goals.

The Foxes versus Muskies will be a good one to watch, and it's going to be a close one.

I told you to keep your eyes on the White Bear Lake-Bloomington matchup, and they lived up to the billing. My upset pick for the round will be the Braves upending the Victorias.

Is this the year? The Cake Eaters will be going against the Retrievers, and I'm going to say the boys from Edina are going to be challenged, but still pull it out on their quest to raise the Cup.

South:
Eagan may have upset the Mustangs, but the Brewers aren't going to be caught off guard, and will be wearing those lucky yellow sweaters in a surprise home game in the playoffs.

I can't see an upset happening in this division, so I'm picking St. Peter, Marshall and Sioux Falls. But Austin will be close in their game. If you forced me to pick an upset, they're my pick.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/26/2020 2:50 pm  #1513

1976 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - North

Steinbach Barbarians vs Grand Rapids Moose
It was a top 10 battle in Steinbach between the top ranked Barbarians and the defending Champion Moose. As games with Grand Rapids usually go, this was a high scoring affair with both teams finding success on offense. In the end the Moose were just too good at capitalizing on their limited chances, scoring 5 times on 26 shots to outgun Steinbach. The final horn sounded with the scoreboard reading 5-3 in favor of the guests from Grand Rapids, cutting the top seeded Barbarians dreams short before it even really began.

Winnipeg Monarchs vs East Grand Forks Pointers
Despite getting off to a hot start, the Pointers were just unable to put a stop to the Monarchs who barreled right through them for a 6-2 victory to return to the Super Series after 8 long years. The nearly 10,000 on hand at Winnipeg Arena were treated to a terrific game from their boys in Purple, sending EGF back down the Red River with a loss to end their season.

Eveleth Redbirds vs Fort Frances Trappers
The closest section final in the north happened up in Eveleth as they welcomed the Trappers for the first time ever. The Birds went up on a rebound late in the third, holding the lead for the remainder of the game. They added to their lead early in the second and Fort Frances got on the board later in the period to make it 2-1. Eveleth capitalized on a powerplay midway through the third to give themselves a cushion, causing the Hipp to erupt with cheers. The Trappers would add some drama late in the game, pulling to within one with 57 seconds to play. The Trappers had momentum and were very aggressive in the Redbird zone after the goal, but Eveleth managed to hold off the attack and survive to the final horn. Eveleth wins by a score of 3-2, advancing to their second Super Series in team history as they look for Kellogg Cup number 6.

Duluth Voyageurs vs Little Falls Pilots
Little Falls continues to play some of their best hockey, pushing Le Bleus to the brink in Duluth, but their run of luck was bound to come to an end at some point. The breaking point happened when the Voyageurs lit up the pilots goalie late in the second, scoring 3 goals in under 2 minutes. Little Falls would be unable to overcome such a collapse, losing 5-2. Duluth appears to finally be back, reaching the Super Series for the first time in team history.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

5/26/2020 2:58 pm  #1514

Let's go Monarchs! Solid win.

Also could I have a sig for the Monarchs?

5/26/2020 3:27 pm  #1515

Wallflower wrote:

Let's go Monarchs! Solid win.

Also could I have a sig for the Monarchs?

Here ya go!

5/26/2020 5:08 pm  #1516

NICE!  The Moose is still loose!  Definitely wasn't expecting the beat the Barbarians!  Maybe a repeat IS a possibility!

5/26/2020 5:52 pm  #1517

Duluth versus Eveleth is gonna be a great game. This new Voys team seems to have a penchant for random scoring binges, hopefully that will continue.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/26/2020 6:50 pm  #1518

sevsdast wrote:

Can I have a Winoa sig? They are rising! Not a bad first season for the Lions though. (This will be my last sig till future notice)

Steelman wrote:

Duluth versus Eveleth is gonna be a great game. This new Voys team seems to have a penchant for random scoring binges, hopefully that will continue.

Despite the way the graphic might make it look, the Redbirds and Voyageurs aren't guarunteed to face of in the Super Series with the bracket being redone once all the teams are confirmed

5/26/2020 7:11 pm  #1519

One word. Eagan?!?!?!

5/26/2020 11:12 pm  #1520

sevsdast wrote:

Thanks! Surprised Eagan shocked one of the best teams in Minnesota, maybe the best in Rochester, one more game for them into a miracle super series bid, also oaks sig please? (Will be last request until Saturday.)

Man, future notice ended up being a quick turnaround. You going for a record?

Board footera