Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2020 2:12 pm  #1481

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Section30 wrote:

I do have plans to still add more teams in Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

I will say that despite their size, I think that Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Fort Dodge are all too far from other teams in the MAHL. It would take almost 3 hours for Red Wing to make the trip to Waterloo and it'd be even farther for teams in the Southwest.

Like I said, there will be more teams from out of Minnesota, but they will be a little closer to existing teams and maybe not quite as big.

So, there's no chance of an expansion into Nebraska or Michigan, eh?

BTW, people in North St. Paul, inspired in the most unlikely form by an Australian Rules Football club, have petitioned the East Metro league for an expansion slot, According to sources in the city, the team has proposed using Kangaroos as the team nickname. Why Kangaroos? One of the proposed owners of the team just happened to be in Melbourne around the time the North Melbourne Football Club, nicknamed the Kangaroos, won the 1975 Victorian Football League Grand Final, and the owner decided that to standout in the already loaded Twin Cities marketplace, found the Kangaroos name a perfect way to standout. The team would utilize North Melbourne's Blue and White color scheme.
Officials within the EMHL are considering Norths, along with proposals from Forest Lake and Hudson, Wisconsin, for consideration starting in 1976.

5/20/2020 2:35 pm  #1482

Rube Dali, the DodoHorse wrote:

Section30 wrote:

I do have plans to still add more teams in Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

I will say that despite their size, I think that Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Fort Dodge are all too far from other teams in the MAHL. It would take almost 3 hours for Red Wing to make the trip to Waterloo and it'd be even farther for teams in the Southwest.

Like I said, there will be more teams from out of Minnesota, but they will be a little closer to existing teams and maybe not quite as big.

BTW, people in North St. Paul, inspired in the most unlikely form by an Australian Rules Football club, have petitioned the East Metro league for an expansion slot, According to sources in the city, the team has proposed using Kangaroos as the team nickname. Why Kangaroos? One of the proposed owners of the team just happened to be in Melbourne around the time the North Melbourne Football Club, nicknamed the Kangaroos, won the 1975 Victorian Football League Grand Final, and the owner decided that to standout in the already loaded Twin Cities marketplace, found the Kangaroos name a perfect way to standout. The team would utilize North Melbourne's Blue and White color scheme.
Officials within the EMHL are considering Norths, along with proposals from Forest Lake and Hudson, Wisconsin, for consideration starting in 1976.

Are you creating fiction for someone else’s fictional history?.... and telling them what their league in their world is considering? Am I reading this correctly or did I miss something in the topic?

5/20/2020 2:37 pm  #1483

Whenever the MAHL adds another Wisconsin team, I'm thinking River Falls and/or Menomonie would work out as well (being home to UWRF and UW-Stout, and located between Eau Claire and the rest of the East Metro teams).

5/20/2020 3:14 pm  #1484

I looked into Nebraska and the UP in Michigan, but it would just be too far for any team to realistically join from there. Teams in every league have to vote on whether to permit an expansion team to their league once a city requests access to the league, and I feel that most of these teams wouldn't be voting in favor of driving hours out of the way to play one team.

As for the rest of your post. While I really appreciate hearing your feedback, I have a rough outline of what I want the league to look like and when teams will join. All the cities you mentioned will get teams down the line, but they will come in when I decide it is time.

Burmy87 wrote:

Whenever the MAHL adds another Wisconsin team, I'm thinking River Falls and/or Menomonie would work out as well (being home to UWRF and UW-Stout, and located between Eau Claire and the rest of the East Metro teams).

I'm not going to say who or when, but Wisconsin will be getting the most teams outside of Minnesota and some of them will be joining in the near future.

5/20/2020 3:30 pm  #1485

Section30 wrote:

I'm not going to say who or when, but Wisconsin will be getting the most teams outside of Minnesota and some of them will be joining in the near future.

Can't say I'm surprised, since most of the youth teams in Western WI play in MN. Always a bit of an absurdity to see a team from Wisconsin at district tourneys in MN.

5/20/2020 3:57 pm  #1486

1975/76 Regular Season - South

The Governors remained atop the Blue Earth, winning their second straight title. Owatonna kept it rolling after a good year a season ago, remaining in second place. Mankato bounced back after a disastrous year a season ago, returning to the playoffs in third. Sliding into the final playoff spot are the Green Giants making their first post season appearance ahead of an aging New Ulm squad who is missing the playoffs for the first time ever, ending their 15 year playoff streak and essentially bringing an end to the diamonds dynasty. The rest of the pack all was meh, nothing special but not horrible either, except for Fairmont who came far last, getting beaten up for most of the season.

Long time contenders Apple Valley finally broke through this season to win their first SMHL crown. The rest of the top four remained the same, just moving around except for Eagan who stayed in 4th. On the outside were the Six hot off their best season to date, nearly making a surprise run to the playoffs that fell apart at the end of the year to keep them in fifth. The newcomers from IGH did better than expected in their first season, finishing just a few games below .500 and beating out Cottage Grove, Rosemount, and Lakeville who finished at the bottom of the table.

The best league in the south this year was once again the Association with two ranked teams leading the way. The Fightin' Pheasants rode a hot streak midway through the season to their first SWHA championship as well as their first ranking. Sioux Falls came 2 games behind in second, winning the Sioux Cup in its first year but feeling like they need to prove something coming in second. Look out for the Hogs come playoff time as they look to show that they are still a championship caliber team. Up next were Brookings and Luverne, pushing out the Shockers for the first time in their 7 year history. Spirit Lake still struggles to find their form from a few years ago, finishing only ahead of the 1 win Yankton Paddlefish hot off the worst season in MAHL history since the Stillwater Athletics back in 1935/36.

The Stangs are champs once again, winning their 14th Valley title as well as the Civil War Trophy and a top 15 ranking. Austin continues to improve, having their best season in nearly two decades as they finish ahead of a La Crosse team nearing the peak of their prime. Red Wing punched their way back into the playoffs, winning out the battle for the 4 seed with Northfield and Rochester who wound up in 5th and 6th respectively. Lake City had a middle of the pack season, not winning much against the top teams, but being better than the bottom ones. Winona finally seems to be making progress, actually being competitive against some of the top teams in the league. They may not have won all of them, finishing still near the bottom, but it is something for the Wildcats to build on in the years to come. Cannon Falls and Wabasha finished in the basement, struggling a lot this year.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

5/20/2020 3:58 pm  #1487

5/20/2020 5:50 pm  #1488

Downside: The Diamonds are not in the playoffs.

Upsides: Ho, ho, ho. GREEN GIANT! Also good to see the Pheasants having a pleasant year.

5/20/2020 11:59 pm  #1489

Superior in fourth in the Power Rankings? That's sounding and looking good to me!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/21/2020 12:46 am  #1490

Hey, lookee there. It's Le Bleus sneaking back into the power rankings!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera